Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Of course some people are mad that a black guy is no longer introduced with a monkey sound effect. https://steamcommunity.com/app/335670/discussions/0/7318962605504505473/

Also, the PS version is hilariously censored the way NoA used to, with "cigarette candy" and soda instead of alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Substandard posted:

Lots of games have skins that cost $20. It's insane. I think they would sell > 4x as many at 1/4 the price, but I'm no mathmetologist and presumably they've run the numbers.

in addition to what's already been said, a lot of people aren't willing to pay any amount of money for a [virtual game object] so the math strictly concerns the remainder

if you're a big enough sucker to pay $5 for horse armor, you might be a big enough sucker to pay $20

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can admit to buying a couple of 10$ skins in Warframe, the free game that I absolutely loved playing for years and have several thousands of hours in, but anything above that is an absolutely ridiculous amount to ask.
Overwatch 2, for example, asks 20 motherfucking bux for incredibly mediocre skins and there's no way in hell I'd ever pay that amount for a cosmetic even if I still liked the game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I didn't I just sold some primes for plat and bought a sicknasty ancient egyptian skin.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

I can admit to buying a couple of 10$ skins in Warframe, the free game that I absolutely loved playing for years and have several thousands of hours in, but anything above that is an absolutely ridiculous amount to ask.
Overwatch 2, for example, asks 20 motherfucking bux for incredibly mediocre skins and there's no way in hell I'd ever pay that amount for a cosmetic even if I still liked the game.

Warframe also has the advantage of a working economy through Warframe.market which has let me buy multiple $$$ skins for just playing the game and selling random drops.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I didn't I just sold some primes for plat and bought a sicknasty ancient egyptian skin.

Same but some of those TennoGen skins are sicknasty. Like the Graxx series for example.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I should reinstall Warframe to see how many thousands of new guns they've added since I last played.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I reinstalled it a month or so ago and spent a couple minutes running around my ship before realizing I had no memory of how to play and no desire to relearn all of it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not getting back until they unfuck Sonicor. I'm still salty about them making my favorite weapon unusable when it was already very bad to begin with.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MajorBonnet posted:

I reinstalled it a month or so ago and spent a couple minutes running around my ship before realizing I had no memory of how to play and no desire to relearn all of it.

This is my problem with the very, very few MMO/-adjacent titles I get into: something will cause me to fall off of them (usually a time problem or dying PC component), and then no matter how much fun I had to that point, I never go back because I can't imagine the effort of unlearning and relearning thousand hour games.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We already sell hair
When we selling hotness?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i took a 2 year break from warframe and came back awhile ago and it was a little overwhelming at first but i was back into the swing of things pretty fast. if you play a game for 2k hours i dont think it is ever really going to leave you. thousands of hours of repetition makes some pretty strong brain connections. it just takes a bit to wake them back up again.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

MajorBonnet posted:

Good thing is they added an entire new mode that is great to just jump into. Log back in and try The Duviri Paradox. Definitely worth checking out, even if you've never played the game. I get like 0 loading screens playing it, which is crazy considering you are changing scenes pretty frequently.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

Games aren't being made for the average joe anymore. Games are being made to sucker in the whales and the average joes are just there for the whales to show off their skins.
That's why the skins are being priced so stupidly high.
It's a perverse incentive system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjofW3rCIKE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those who have played Cloudpunk, is there really no option to pitch the ship up or down? I know there is the option to "strafe" or transit up and down, but I really want it to pitch like an airplane

I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Those who have played Cloudpunk, is there really no option to pitch the ship up or down?

nope

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Even apart from the predictable censorship circus, this release has been a trainwreck of issues including but not limited to Steam literally just not installing the new version, which has been reported mostly on Steam Decks but a friend of mine can't get it to install on his Windows desktop either.

There's also reports of all manner of gamebreaking bugs from those who do have it running, the promised multilanguage support is going to be patched in "later in 2023", and everything about this just reeks of a rushed launch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats...........infuriating. It sort of negates the whole cool "fly around a cyberpunk city" thing, IMO

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Same but some of those TennoGen skins are sicknasty. Like the Graxx series for example.

And the artists get a cut when you buy a TennoGen skin. In fact, one of those artists was able to get back on their feet because people bought his cool scarf.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Thats...........infuriating. It sort of negates the whole cool "fly around a cyberpunk city" thing, IMO

I figure, it's a hover car in a world that expects there to be generally-recognized lanes and levels.

ed: But I had to justify it to myself because I kinda wish I could've just pitched up and down too. It's not Hardwar.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
If you are looking forward to Starfield, James Stephanie Sterling has a great video on it.

Can't wait for Bethesda HR department and management to eat a bag of bricks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Even apart from the predictable censorship circus, this release has been a trainwreck of issues including but not limited to Steam literally just not installing the new version, which has been reported mostly on Steam Decks but a friend of mine can't get it to install on his Windows desktop either.

There's also reports of all manner of gamebreaking bugs from those who do have it running, the promised multilanguage support is going to be patched in "later in 2023", and everything about this just reeks of a rushed launch.

even worse, they've replaced the shenmue sample in Work Harder with a legally distinct sample

0/10

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

repiv posted:

even worse, they've replaced the shenmue sample in Work Harder with a legally distinct sample

0/10

I cannot abide by that

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

look how they massacred my boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66YLlpX_AsM

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

PowerBeard posted:

If you are looking forward to Starfield, James Stephanie Sterling has a great video on it.

Can't wait for Bethesda HR department and management to eat a bag of bricks.

For anyone else wondering what this is but hates videos like me

https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-online-dev-transphobia-deadnaming-allegations-bethesda-zenimax/

I don't know if it's the only issue she talks about cause I stopped watching once I had something to Google

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh that is genuinely terrible

e: applies to both of the above posts

Orv
May 4, 2011

Resdfru posted:

https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-online-dev-transphobia-deadnaming-allegations-bethesda-zenimax/

I don't know if it's the only issue she talks about cause I stopped watching once I had something to Google

Holy poo poo that’s awful, what a nightmare

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Resdfru posted:

jesus christ

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

That's incredibly hosed up

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Where is Xenonauts 2 at these days? I wishlisted it thinking it'd be old-school X-Com gameplay with modern UI/UX, but apparently it's been in development since 2015 and the devs were completely trashing/redesigning core mechanics as recently as last year?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

Where is Xenonauts 2 at these days? I wishlisted it thinking it'd be old-school X-Com gameplay with modern UI/UX, but apparently it's been in development since 2015 and the devs were completely trashing/redesigning core mechanics as recently as last year?

out in early access just today

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh dear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

turning on my review bombing script

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Real unbreak my heart moment for me.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Substandard posted:

Lots of games have skins that cost $20. It's insane. I think they would sell > 4x as many at 1/4 the price, but I'm no mathmetologist and presumably they've run the numbers.

Most gamers are smart enough to not spend any money on skin microtransactions, whether they're $20 or $5. They are just never going to pay real money for any ingame item, no matter how much you reduce it. That's why the concept of "microtransactions" failed and they're all macrotransactions now. Companies are adjusting the pricing to milk as much as possible out of the tiny minority who actually do pay.

e: oh Schwarzwald already said the same thing

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 19, 2023

Weedle
May 31, 2006

boofhead posted:

That's incredibly hosed up

it is, and it happens to trans people all the time in every industry. many on this very forum have had the same experience

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Most gamers are smart enough to not spend any money on skin microtransactions, whether they're $20 or $5. They are just never going to pay real money for any ingame item, no matter how much you reduce it. That's why the concept of "microtransactions" failed and they're all macrotransactions now. Companies are adjusting the pricing to milk as much as possible out of the tiny minority who actually do pay.

*unless they're resalable which transforms it into a market speculation game, especially if they're limited availability.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Ember Knights just went out of early access with its 1.0 full release. Looks like some good Hades/Wizard of Legend hack-and-slash coop fun. Will probably pick it up, but if anyone has impressions from early access, I'd love to hear it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Joe Man posted:

*unless they're resalable which transforms it into a market speculation game, especially if they're limited availability.

once again i am reminded of the diablo 3 real money auction house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It doesn't help that a bunch of gamers see free to play as essentially a challenge mode that paying for things breaks.