Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You didn't think the Anti-Vax crowd could get any dumber, and maybe they didn't. What they did do for sure was recruit a lot more people.
Remember when the President of the United States said on live television that it was a Democratic hoax? People being forced to stay inside all day just going down the Youtube algorithm rabbit hole made the dumbest people also the loudest and worst people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I got covid last November and it broke my nose. I had smell hallucinations for 6 months. Mostly cigarettes. Not fresh smoke, but that stale old poo poo that seeps out the walls. Last time I noticed it was a few weeks ago.

That really stinks and I hope you're getting better, but this post just reminded me of people review-bombing scented candles during the outbreaks :lol:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I lost my sense of smell and taste for only a couple days, and after that things got a really weird gasoline-mixed-with-cheese-ish flavour to them for a little while. For several months most food smelled rotten too, but only if I wasn't inhaling it up close. I'd open a jar of mustard and it smelled like sour milk, but taking a big whiff right from the jar it was normal.

If anyone is familiar with Hawkins Cheezies, it was really loving weird to not be able to taste them, because they have the strongest flavour of anything I've ever had.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i've heard multiple people say they were able to lose weight because food stopped tasting good, silver lining i guess?

All You Can Eat
Aug 27, 2004

Abundance is the dullest desire.
Every time I ate something mediocre: Oh no, I've finally caught COVID

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bad Purchase posted:

i've heard multiple people say they were able to lose weight because food stopped tasting good, silver lining i guess?

A married couple I know no longer eat at restaurants because the wife lost her sense of taste. It's been great for their budget!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was so tired of every conversation with my grandparents being about masks or the president. No one asked. No one asked. No one asked.

edit: They are returning to normal but they watch more alarmist news than ever, that poo poo really grew like a tumor on the medium of TV during the pandemic.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 18, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of TV, it was both fun and frustrating listening to a dozen variations of corporations trying to apologize for the pandemic like they caused the drat thing. "In these unprecedented times we are here for you and forcing people to come to work to fix this world" claims the bleeding heart of the manufacturer of toaster strudels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/ryanmasri_/status/1280195665302376453

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of TV, it was both fun and frustrating listening to a dozen variations of corporations trying to apologize for the pandemic like they caused the drat thing. "In these unprecedented times we are here for you and forcing people to come to work to fix this world" claims the bleeding heart of the manufacturer of toaster strudels.
Yeah that was really odd. I'm not really sure who that made feel better, except maybe the PR teams themselves?

I wish personal bubbles came back. It was a really nice period everyone sat several seats away from you or wasn't rubbing against your shoulder in line for something. I really got used to expanded personal bubbles, and I still haven't accepted the reality where people are just way too close to me. It gets me legit angry now. Not a health and safety thing, just a "stop getting so close to me you ossified bozo"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

You didn't think the Anti-Vax crowd could get any dumber, and maybe they didn't. What they did do for sure was recruit a lot more people.
Remember when the President of the United States said on live television that it was a Democratic hoax? People being forced to stay inside all day just going down the Youtube algorithm rabbit hole made the dumbest people also the loudest and worst people.

Remember when the President of the USA was stealing medical supplies from liberal states, and they had to go surreptitiously to get masks?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Even before covid, if you're close enough I can feel you breathing on me, back the gently caress off oh my god why are you this close to me

The 6 foot rule was so wonderful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some of the social distancing aids were pretty funny.

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

I had a friend who was mostly a normal person who went off the rails during covid and now he’s a full blown anti vaxer and it’s wild to see this person who was just a decent dude now is spewing every anti vax, anti gay, qanon conspiracy theory has ostracized himself from everyone. It must be so exhausting to be so hateful 100% of your waking day

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I had a friend who was mostly a normal person who went off the rails during covid and now he’s a full blown anti vaxer and it’s wild to see this person who was just a decent dude now is spewing every anti vax, anti gay, qanon conspiracy theory has ostracized himself from everyone. It must be so exhausting to be so hateful 100% of your waking day

if he's anything like my parents, their friends and family mostly cut them off, but waiters.... waiters still have to listen to what you say with a smile on their face. i hear they go out to eat a lot now.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My local convenience stored used the plastic barriers they had to install to share their political opinions, which I had not known beforehand.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

I was so tired of every conversation with my grandparents being about masks or the president. No one asked. No one asked. No one asked.

edit: They are returning to normal but they watch more alarmist news than ever, that poo poo really grew like a tumor on the medium of TV during the pandemic.

I had to make a rule with my parents; no talking about politics the economy climate change or anything else of the sort. I'm doompilled all the way but at this point I'm just trying to treat it like being diagnosed with a terminal disease and accepting it. Talking about it just makes me and everyone else miserable and isn't fixing anything.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
Honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to unmask. Many of my jobs have been hourly with few or no sick days, and I have an inexplicably lovely immune system. Lessening chances of getting sick rules, and for ages I wished masking would become as socially acceptable as it has been for decades in other places (I’m in the US). A close friend moved to Japan and it made so much sense that if you were sick but had to go out, you were expected to mask up so as not to make others sick or end up sicker yourself.

Since COVID I’ve only caught a virus twice, and both times I ended up with severe sinus infections and ear infections, etc. Before it was socially acceptable to wear a mask, I got sick multiple times a year, missed tons of work, etc.

Also, I haven’t had to bleach the hair on my upper lip in three years, and I ain’t giving that up easily.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ars Arcanum posted:

Honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to unmask. Many of my jobs have been hourly with few or no sick days, and I have an inexplicably lovely immune system. Lessening chances of getting sick rules, and for ages I wished masking would become as socially acceptable as it has been for decades in other places (I’m in the US). A close friend moved to Japan and it made so much sense that if you were sick but had to go out, you were expected to mask up so as not to make others sick or end up sicker yourself.

Since COVID I’ve only caught a virus twice, and both times I ended up with severe sinus infections and ear infections, etc. Before it was socially acceptable to wear a mask, I got sick multiple times a year, missed tons of work, etc.

Also, I haven’t had to bleach the hair on my upper lip in three years, and I ain’t giving that up easily.

NO ONE KNEW WHO I WAS BEFORE I PUT ON THE MASK

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ars Arcanum posted:

Honestly, I don’t know if I’m ever going to unmask.

We have a few guys who come into the office still masked at all times. I couldn’t do it personally but yeah they seem happier that it’s become socially acceptable in the West to do that.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
People are a few inches taller now

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Cassette Moodcore posted:

I have/had this friend as well. There were definitely signs but nothing crazy until Trump was elected. He briefly pretended to fence ride, then he moved to Florida. Constantly started posting about how stupid people who wore masks were and started doing petty poo poo like parading around in a witch doctor mask. I eventually unfriended him after a friend pointed out some super crazy racist poo poo he said on some page I didn't follow. I wonder how he's doing now.

I've been looking at those onewheel things for a good long time and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't got one is because he did and he's a moron.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Jelly posted:

I have/had this friend as well. There were definitely signs but nothing crazy until Trump was elected. He briefly pretended to fence ride, then he moved to Florida. Constantly started posting about how stupid people who wore masks were and started doing petty poo poo like parading around in a witch doctor mask. I eventually unfriended him after a friend pointed out some super crazy racist poo poo he said on some page I didn't follow. I wonder how he's doing now.

I've been looking at those onewheel things for a good long time and I'm pretty sure the only reason I haven't got one is because he did and he's a moron.

A unicycle?

Oh! One of the single wheel skateboards. I think I saw someone riding theirs to the gas station last night. He was wearing a helmet, which is smart. Also, the board has very bright lights, which is also smart.

Bored fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 18, 2023

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Bored posted:

A unicycle?
Brace yourself for dumb

https://onewheel.com/

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

StratGoatCom posted:

Yup, same. Stopped giving a poo poo about pretending to be normal, went full unmasked autistic and am currently closing on proper gender care.

that was another great motivator i had/have to keep masking, the gender clinic i have to go through would only prescribe HRT medications if your liver was working normally, and since Covid can really gently caress w/ your liver well no thanks!

also when i got covid back in 2021 it made patches of my hair fall out and that really really freaked me out (they grew back)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is a very first world problem, and a very minor one at that, but getting sauces at take out chains sucks now. Pre-COVID at Panda Express, they'd have fresh, warm teriyaki sauce that they'd pour on the teriyaki chicken. I'd also have them pour some on the fried rice because it was so dry. Yogi's Grill had a teriyaki pump so you could help yourself. Now both places just give you packets. There's not enough in the packets and they charge for extras. Similarly, a lot of fast food places got rid of the ketchup pumps and exclusively had ketchup packets. I've never once known anyone in my life who likes those lovely things. At least Raising Caine's gives you ketchup in those dip style plastic things.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

condiment stations didn’t go away where i am in FL, but we’re also a buncha nasty freaks out here

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
COVID broke my brain due to Long Covid and now I have trouble with work, my social life, and my home life it's great. Thank you COVID. :pray:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Bad Purchase posted:

condiment stations didn’t go away where i am in FL, but we’re also a buncha nasty freaks out here

Condiment stations should never be. They were always a mistake.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
They took away our condiment station at caseys for covid and maybe that's part of the reason my brain is broken.

But it also might be because after they took it away customers had to come ask us for pickles and ketchup and there's only 2 employees working why are you coming behind the counter trying to get it yourself.

I'm trying to get these warmers filled as fast as I can but our GM is loving someone in the bathroom so don't go back there either.

I guess I'm a bit more irritated now remembering it.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Like I that's part of retail work but come on

Anyway they shitcanned me because I stopped caring.

If you can gently caress your newest boyfriend behind the washing machine I can rest for 5 minutes after doing your work too.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Bored posted:

A unicycle?

Oh! One of the single wheel skateboards. I think I saw someone riding theirs to the gas station last night. He was wearing a helmet, which is smart. Also, the board has very bright lights, which is also smart.
Cruising the website it looks like only the most expensive model has the headlights, not that you couldn't just throw some on yourself or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I quit my job via email after trying to return to work in July 2020 and realizing they didn't give a gently caress about my safety. I had several chronic illnesses, I got pneumonia in 2017, I got bronchitis every time I caught a cold, and they were mad that I spent my time behind the shields instead of out interacting with customers face to face, who weren't masked because my shop had a completely open side, so customers treated it like it was outdoors.

I did 2 shifts, got lectured about how useless I am before my third shift, spent 3 days sick to my stomach at the thought of going back, and the night before my next shift, I emailed and said "I don't feel safe, I'm not coming back ever."

I worked there for over 6 years, but work conditions were going downhill for a couple years before covid anyway. I was basically looking for an excuse to get the gently caress out.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I also feel like Covid made me angrier as well. I've always had an anger problem but the whole Covid bullshit (and being surrounded by social media) did not help.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

I also feel like Covid made me angrier as well. I've always had an anger problem but the whole Covid bullshit (and being surrounded by social media) did not help.

I spent a long time feeling really pissed off for the same reasons, and eventually I had to unplug and try to be more zen about it all. The anger still flares up from time to time when I'm reminded of antivax poo poo

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I found out I was overdue for heart surgery due to a defect I’ve had for a while. Haven’t caught Covid afaik but now I’m high risk and weak as gently caress. So I’m on blood pressure meds for life now. They also make me really sleepy and alcohol hits harder. I never drink like that but I’ve gone to two weddings and one glass of champagne had me spinning like Will in the Fresh Prince intro. I’m staying masked up in the store. After watching them pull that ventilator tube out of you is like that scene in alien. I’d rather not go back until DARPA comes out with Heart 2.0.

Friendships have taken major hits I tried watching shows over discord, playing games etc. And one by one people started flaking. One dude blew me off to stream apex legends to a whopping 2 viewers at age 36. I just wanted them to let me know they cancelled so I won’t have to be caffeinating myself at 8pm to fight my meds. One of my best friends got married and I wasn’t a groomsman so I’m having MySpace top 8 drama flashbacks. Any longer and this becomes an E/N post so I’ll stop.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
We are all terminally ill in one way or another, and meritocracy is an impossible fantasy. The world is a gently caress and any chance to unfuck it has been torn away, so just do what you realistically can to bring joy to others in it before the end because any other motivation is just arrogance or pride talking

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

We are all terminally ill in one way or another, and meritocracy is an impossible fantasy. The world is a gently caress and any chance to unfuck it has been torn away, so just do what you realistically can to bring joy to others in it before the end because any other motivation is just arrogance or pride talking

I love everything about this post.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be cool if we had prophylactic antibodies that people who got heart surgeries could get infused for protection for six months.

Tragically, the ones we had we had stopped working on new strains almost a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It would be cool if we had prophylactic antibodies that people who got heart surgeries could get infused for protection for six months.

Tragically, the ones we had we had stopped working on new strains almost a year ago.

Feel free to quote me, I've never got Covid. Or sick at this point, for years!