Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well, I got an rg353v for 50 bucks off, but all they had was white, not atomic purple. How do I jazz this sucker up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you apply those car skin decals on these shells?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex8JNLEKwlI

it's...? probably an rp3+ in a 2+ form?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If it comes in clear colors like the 2 did I will buy one and once again… be talking like it’s the last one I’m gonna buy.

I used my 3+ more than any of these and I love it more than the MM+ I’ve been tinkering with but I never used the extra screen real estate. Give me something shaved down a little bit and I’ll probably buy it.

Also the RP2 was my first one of these and I feel kinda nostalgic already for the thing.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I need bigger screens because my eyes are going to poo poo and I can’t read small text anymore :smith:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

woah that owns

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Finally pulled the trigger on a replacement for the 351P.

I've spent most of my time with it playing Honkai Star Rail.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Quick look at various AliExpress bootleg mini consoles keeping the mini console craze going long after all the official mini consoles have finished releasing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51foBSsRpJk

Looks like it has the new vita-style d-pad and sticks (including an actual right stick this time).

Lets them reuse the cheaper 640x480 3.5" screens, perhaps the iPhone SE screens in the RP3/3+ are becoming rare

Honestly it also has superior button placement overall.

Downside is the new d-pad and sticks would mean that it's not compatible with all the old variant colored shells that the RP2 and 2+ have.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 18, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

njsykora posted:

Finally pulled the trigger on a replacement for the 351P.

I've spent most of my time with it playing Honkai Star Rail.

I've heard you can run Honkai on the rp3+, but I haven't downloaded it yet. If you get it going, can you let me know how you mapped the controller inputs?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Assepoester posted:

Quick look at various AliExpress bootleg mini consoles keeping the mini console craze going long after all the official mini consoles have finished releasing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51foBSsRpJk

Looks like it has the new vita-style d-pad and sticks (including an actual right stick this time).

Lets them reuse the cheaper 640x480 3.5" screens, perhaps the iPhone SE screens in the RP3/3+ are becoming rare

Honestly it also has superior button placement overall.

Downside is the new d-pad and sticks would mean that it's not compatible with all the old variant colored shells that the RP2 and 2+ have.

My first thought was that the sticks are too close to the screen but it may help for thumb placement.

I really hope they have clear colors, if not the atomic purple with light grey buttons always looks good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I've heard you can run Honkai on the rp3+, but I haven't downloaded it yet. If you get it going, can you let me know how you mapped the controller inputs?

It didn't take much fiddling at all, it does take a specific spot for its virtual stick, so you have to get that placed properly and remember to set the right stick wherever but make it camera control not the default right stick behavior. Then just face buttons to regular attack, skill and enviromental skill and L1 to the sprint button plus a button for the default use thing position for opening doors and talking to people. Those did take a bit of tweaking to get them in a point where they not only set off the button when pressed but are also in the right place when the button is inactive to select it. I did briefly try to set menu and ultimate buttons too but decided using touch would just be easier for that. I might end up using the d-pad for those once I have a full party since changing character outside battle is less necessary than it is in Genshin. Performance is basically same as Genshin too, lowest settings and 30fps runs just fine. Though the login screen is apparently way more demanding so changing region took a while.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

March 7th

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yes the girl's name is March 7th. I think I joked to myself when those 2 showed up after your main character (playing the complete hits with the amnesiac protagonist) wakes up that thank god I've been rescued by a twink and an e-girl. Mihoyo knows their audience (it's me).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I think I have a picture on my desktop PC of a control layout for Star Rail, I'll post it when I get up

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
If I want a handheld that can do SNES/Genesis/GBA/MAME (up to CPS2) but also has a nice touchscreen for playing ScummVM point n clicks, what's the best bet? Budget up to 100-150

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Lamont posted:

If I want a handheld that can do SNES/Genesis/GBA/MAME (up to CPS2) but also has a nice touchscreen for playing ScummVM point n clicks, what's the best bet? Budget up to 100-150

RP3+ probably

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The RP3+ has an awful touchscreen that won’t recognize touches near the bottom of the screen

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

The RP3+ has an awful touchscreen that won’t recognize touches near the bottom of the screen

That's really annoying, especially as many adventure games have verbs and inventory and stuff right at the bottom.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I can't say I've had that problem with mine, I never have any problem using the android controls on the bottom of the screen for instance

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tiny Timbs posted:

Skill issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lamont posted:

That's really annoying, especially as many adventure games have verbs and inventory and stuff right at the bottom.

tbh I wouldn't really want to deal with all the tiny touch zones with a touchscreen that small anyway. Broken Sword worked decently on the DS with a stylus, though.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

tbh I wouldn't really want to deal with all the tiny touch zones with a touchscreen that small anyway. Broken Sword worked decently on the DS with a stylus, though.

Perhaps I should get a cheap Android tablet just for ScummVM instead. I used to use a hacked B&N Nook HD but it's hella old now and ScummVM stopped working on it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
OnionOS has got a release candidate out for 4.2.0.

https://github.com/OnionUI/Onion/releases/tag/latest

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

They sorta look like full sized sticks, rather than the Switch form factor?

e: yeah if they're Gulikit hall sticks those are certainly not the Joycon form factor. Now I'm really interested!

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 19, 2023

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I just have to say how much i hate those god damned temu games. The fish one and the farm one. Im sure you have to spend a whole week to get the alleged discounts it promises you but even then, I doubt it highly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

otter posted:

I just have to say how much i hate those god damned temu games. The fish one and the farm one. Im sure you have to spend a whole week to get the alleged discounts it promises you but even then, I doubt it highly.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Just ignore all the gotcha game poo poo, all the referral poo poo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Retroid Pocket 2S colors released:

Gotta choose between atomic purple and CLEEN.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is it weird that Retroid is copying the 4x3 screen and metal case from Anbernic?

Is the 405m that popular that they are doing their version of 405m plus?

have they removed the little logo in the lower right of the screen? That's a big turn off for me.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 19, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know about sales but it was recieved well enough that they probably figured might as well. We have the design and the chip already and it doesn't look like Android emulation is moving that much further any time soon so gotta find the niches where you can.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

They're not really copying the 4:3 screen, it's an updated RP2/2+ which had that aspect ratio

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
The RP3S+ board in an RP2 shell seems like an amazing device. But there's no confirmation that this is what it is, right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

No but the 405 is a T618 so I see no reason why this wouldn't be.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Rolo posted:

Retroid Pocket 2S colors released:

Gotta choose between atomic purple and CLEEN.

Oh good, more variants for idiots on reddit to jump ob and post pictures of their 2000$+ retroid collections.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Hey now my hobby of collecting these dumb things and hardly playing them is perfectly valid!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mokotow posted:

Oh good, more variants for idiots on reddit to jump ob and post pictures of their 2000$+ retroid collections.

Who hurt you

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Late stage capitalism

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Thats why Retroid makes it in so many colors, so each redditor can complete their own color matched console collection.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish there were fewer options for me so that there were fewer options for other people too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I wish I could be Retroid and sell several versions of the same product that will still fly off the shelves.

Like legitimately envious of their ability to seemingly print money with all these releases, it's obviously working for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
might be a strange opinion but I hope we get something soon that has the power of the 405M but isnt android based. I prefer the Linux based OS that my 353M uses compared to the Flip. Android just feels kinda sloppy