Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Saw 23 new posts, thought GRRM had died.

jsoh posted:

cowardly fat dipshit writes a song of ice and fire. but heres the fantasy part: he finishes it

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

And drinking water. "The more she drank, the more she shat," if memory serves.

Unfortunately for GRRM, we didn't get Emilia Clark making GBS threads everywhere for that scene.

Emilia Clarke was robbed of a loving Emmy by deleting that scene from the show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We don’t know if the self insert fatman actually finished the book cause they just show the cover of one book. He could just be sending birds to everyone in the realm with a message that says he’s working really hard on the newest chapters.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thank you, Amazon, for this glimmer of hope this morning, only to immediately come crashing back down :shepface:

Obviously Winds wouldn't be announced in this way, but man, the way I shot straight up in bed when I read the first part you would have thought something meaningful had happened

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

Obviously Winds wouldn't be announced

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Happy Landfill posted:

Thank you, Amazon, for this glimmer of hope this morning, only to immediately come crashing back down :shepface:

Obviously Winds wouldn't be announced in this way, but man, the way I shot straight up in bed when I read the first part you would have thought something meaningful had happened

The fact you reacted that way means you still have hope. Even a direct announcement by GRRM himself I would still be skeptical about.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

LiterallyATomato posted:

And drinking water. "The more she drank, the more she shat," if memory serves.

Unfortunately for GRRM, we didn't get Emilia Clark making GBS threads everywhere for that scene.

That mspaint drawing of the guy rocket propelling himself with poo and pee but it’s Emilia

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Even if he releases Winds. The next books sure as poo poo won’t be.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Invalid Validation posted:

Even if he releases Winds. The next books sure as poo poo won’t be.
Fixed

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

The fact you reacted that way means you still have hope.

Honestly, it's my worst quality

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Happy Landfill posted:

Sweet summer child spotted

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Invalid Validation posted:

Even if he releases Winds.

Winds are about all he releases anymore

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hasselblad posted:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Hasselblad posted:

All his releases are about winds

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I just Daenerys'ed all over the ladies' room at work.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The more you drink at work, the more it it happens

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kuiperdolin posted:

The more you drink at work, the more it it happens

Eventually they don’t let you come to work though.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

Eventually they don’t let you come to work though.

words are wind

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ChubbyChecker posted:

words are wind

It is known.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

LiterallyATomato posted:

Bonus points if you are a man

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

I'm not going to stop the toilet. I'm going to break the toilet.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Anders posted:

Bonus points if you are a man

Close... trans lady.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
at this point I'm just going to settle for fire and blood part 2

some of the dedicated fans can write winds of winter after grrm dies or something. Given how many ppl like the books at least one of them can write something good

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nine-gear crow posted:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

LiterallyATomato posted:

Close... trans lady.
Not close enough to make it funnier :colbert:

The Cut of Your Jib
Apr 24, 2007

you don't find a style

a style finds you

Typo posted:

LiterallyATomato posted:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Typo posted:

some of the dedicated fans can write winds of winter after grrm dies or something. Given how many ppl like the books at least one of them can write something good

I hate to keep bringing him up but Preston Jacobs and some other fans are writing a sort-of crowd-sourced fan fiction that he's posting on his Youtube channel. It's pretty good? hits the spot while also definitely not being the real thing. I really liked his Alayne chapter

That's just where we are at this point, "gently caress it, I'll just write a Winds Of Winter myself"

Bantam need to just pay Ty Franck how ever much he wants to finish the last two books and George can edit them, or something

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be warned though that Preston is committing to Quentyn being alive in his fic so you will almost definitely not agree with all his contributions to the story

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I hate to keep bringing him up but Preston Jacobs and some other fans are writing a sort-of crowd-sourced fan fiction that he's posting on his Youtube channel. It's pretty good? hits the spot while also definitely not being the real thing. I really liked his Alayne chapter

That's just where we are at this point, "gently caress it, I'll just write a Winds Of Winter myself"

Bantam need to just pay Ty Franck how ever much he wants to finish the last two books and George can edit them, or something

https://www.ign.com/articles/someone-used-chatgpt-to-finish-the-game-of-thrones-book-series

https://github.com/LiamSwayne/AI-Song-Of-Ice-And-Fire

https://liamswayne.github.io/wow.html

https://liamswayne.github.io/dos.html

Someone apparently used ChatGTP to finish the books and, well, it's kind of okay-ish in the way that AI probably will never actually be able to produce real art. Points off though for not calling the project A Song of AIce and Fire though.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

La Louve Rouge posted:

Be warned though that Preston is committing to Quentyn being alive in his fic so you will almost definitely not agree with all his contributions to the story

I actually don't hate that theory and am kind of curious to see what he would do with it. I like a lot of Preston's theories, even if I don't always agree with the final outcomes. I do like his general line of thinking

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/someone-used-chatgpt-to-finish-the-game-of-thrones-book-series

https://github.com/LiamSwayne/AI-Song-Of-Ice-And-Fire

https://liamswayne.github.io/wow.html

https://liamswayne.github.io/dos.html

Someone apparently used ChatGTP to finish the books and, well, it's kind of okay-ish in the way that AI probably will never actually be able to produce real art. Points off though for not calling the project A Song of AIce and Fire though.
I just think most AI writing is so aggressively mid it's not even all that interesting to read, and not even in a fun way. I'd almost just rather read fanfiction.

Immediately in this dude's WoW you have Tyrion, Davos and Brienne all on a boat together and like, how? None of these characters are anywhere near each other at the end of Dance, so the AI can't even pick up where the actual book left off. Which makes me wonder if it's pulling more from the TV show than it is the books. He even says in his notes that at a certain point the LLM started producing shorter and shorter chat responses, so it goes to show that these things aren't going to be writing full books anytime soon...not that publishing companies aren't going to try their damnedest

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

I just think most AI writing is so aggressively mid it's not even all that interesting to read, and not even in a fun way. I'd almost just rather read fanfiction.

Immediately in this dude's WoW you have Tyrion, Davos and Brienne all on a boat together and like, how? None of these characters are anywhere near each other at the end of Dance, so the AI can't even pick up where the actual book left off. Which makes me wonder if it's pulling more from the TV show than it is the books. He even says in his notes that at a certain point the LLM started producing shorter and shorter chat responses, so it goes to show that these things aren't going to be writing full books anytime soon...not that publishing companies aren't going to try their damnedest

Yeah, I skipped ahead of the end of AI DoS and it was... actually not good. Just a bunch of repeating the same poo poo over and over again and very poorly worded in that "the AI almost gets how to construct sentences, but not really" kind of way. I pity any literate son of a bitch who actually tries to read and enjoy the first fully AI-written novel. Because :barf: Basically the AI ending is Dany wins the game of thrones, becomes Queen and was loving awesome and Sam writes a whole book about how awesome she was.

Basically the ending that 90% of the show watchers wanted and lit themselves on fire over the second they realized it was off the table.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I skipped ahead of the end of AI DoS and it was... actually not good. Just a bunch of repeating the same poo poo over and over again and very poorly worded in that "the AI almost gets how to construct sentences, but not really" kind of way. I pity any literate son of a bitch who actually tries to read and enjoy the first fully AI-written novel. Because :barf: Basically the AI ending is Dany wins the game of thrones, becomes Queen and was loving awesome and Sam writes a whole book about how awesome she was.

Basically the ending that 90% of the show watchers wanted and lit themselves on fire over the second they realized it was off the table.

I've never read anything written by AI that wasn't rote as gently caress. Just reading some of the dialogue in this, every character sounds the same (except Hodor lol) and they end up saying a lot of words that don't seem to actually say anything concrete.

edit: oh, this thing's totally going off the show. I just tried to do a ctrl+f search for "Stoneheart" and got nothing. This is going to be 10,000s of words just to get something that is vaguely the tv but stretched to 600+ pages each.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 20, 2023

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

* He finishes by writing a book called "The Song of Ice and Fire"

Said book apparently omits Tyrion ENTIRELY from the story, despite him being the trueborn son of a major House ruler (not like medieval nobility takes lineage seriously, right?), having a massively recognizable physical appearance, nickname and infamy, his kidnapping being the trigger for the Lannister/Stark war that would bloom to the War of Five Kings, Acting Hand of the King for the defense of the capital, wedded to the heiress of another major House, ACCUSED OF REGICIDE, his trial by combat exploding the budding peace, being an accessory to the invasion of the continent by foreign hordes, then casually deciding that Westeros is now an elective monarchy, a la Medieval Poland or holy roman Empire, take your pick. Plus other stuff I'm surely forgetting.

You really have to wonder how much of a gently caress they didn't give at this point. I can almost respect it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The analysis that Quentyn is still alive at the end of A Dance with Dragons is decently supported from the text.

However, there’s no way that George intended that.

The answer to “there’s inconsistencies in the text!” isn’t usually that there’s some deep subtextual structure that explains everything. It’s that George is an inconsistent writer.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if quentyn is dead then so is jon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Jon is dead.

He’s just liable to stop being dead.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Admittedly Quentyn should be alive because he's dry Victarion and Dany's two failed suitors have yet to cancel eachother out, I just don't like it

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

LiterallyATomato posted:

Next time, stay away from the 'Fire and Blood' chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Personally I think the Shrouded Lord is Ser Pounce.