Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
So basically haggling over pain relief occurs while there is a drill inside your face...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Funny quote.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had my wisdom teeth out and they prescribed me Vicodin.

For wisdom teeth.

Didn't do poo poo, so I suffered for a day and then it stopped hurting.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I tried to get all 4 wisdom teeth out using only nitrous oxide instead of full anesthesia, which seemed reasonable at the time, as I'm not too much of a pain wimp. (Sometimes to my detriment, as I've ignored things I really should've seen a doctor about.) But either because of the gas itself or the mask not fitting properly, I got so dizzy after the first 2 that they stopped and I basically sat in the chair with my eyes closed for a full half hour trying not to puke, wasting everybody's time, until I finally did puke and we went home. A few months later I got the other 2 out under full anesthesia and it went fine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The standard in Germany for wisdom teeth extraction is local anaesthetic during and ibuprofen after. Mine were horizontal and extraction was pretty violent, but 800mg ibuprofen on the first day and a few 400mg the next day were fine. I was instructed to come back if the pain didn't let me sleep or was otherwise too much.

All in all 5/7, would… not do this again, tyvm, even if I got to spend a week on the couch instead of at work…

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Splicer posted:

Please don't tell me that US dentists charge per shot.

Lol my aunt was telling me last night that my uncle went in to his doctor for his annual checkup which is fully covered by Medicare (basically government insurance for seniors or low income people). During the appointment he mentioned he was having some memory problems and wasn't sure if he should be concerned. The doctor did that test where they give you a few words and ask you to remember them then asks you to repeat them a few minutes later. Maybe one or two other questions about it.

He got a bill for $180 for additional tests over and above his normal annual visit because Medicare didn't cover it, only his annual.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Splicer posted:

US dentists routinely charge $40 to $60 for telling you to floss after the cleaning. this "consultation fee" is conveniently not covered by insurers

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

go to some us politics thread to post about it

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Splicer posted:

Hello fellow painkiller resister. Do you also know what having your tooth drilled feels like?

No because I make them keep injecting me with anesthetic until it kicks in. I've had appointments called off because they can't get me numb and they're worried about giving me any more anesthetic. I've even had myself completely put under full medical sedation for dental appointments on a few occasions.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Splicer posted:

In fairness here, every time I get dental work that is going to require numbing I'm usually also getting a quote beforehand, billed beforehand, etc. So at least I don't have to worry about that. I've never had them come back and demand more money after the fact.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'm in the US and I've never been charged per shot. My dentist gives me a quote before hand, I agree to it, and it takes what it takes from him to do the work.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I have the opposite problem, at least as far as dental procedures go - I get a shot and then half my face is numb for like 8 fuckin' hours. Once my dentist managed to hit the nerve dead on which hurt like hell and then it took around 10 hours to wear off. Which sucked because I don't like eating until it's worn off because then I end up doing poo poo like chewing up the inside of my cheek or biting my tongue so I didn't end up eating until around 11pm.

e: vvv lol

SubponticatePoster has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Jul 16, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I have the opposite problem, at least as far as dental procedures go - I get a shot and then half my face is numb for like 8 fuckin' hours. Once my dentist managed to hit the nerve dead on which hurt like hell and then it took around 10 hours to wear off. Which sucked because I don't like eating until it's worn off because then I end up doing poo poo like chewing up the inside of my cheek or biting my tongue so I didn't end up eating until around 11pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVFrWvEPdg

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmfao

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Dr. Phil is an rear end. Photoshop him...

Kego posted:

Let me restate, he SUCKS. I can't stand him. My wife seems to think he is God's helper or something and that he is a hero to people everywhere. I am incredibly sick of his promo for tomorrow night's Prime Time episode. I know there will be thousands of stupid people watching his mindless crap. For this reason, I feel there must be a thread bashing him. Give your opinion and make a Photoshop of his smug rear end. Here is my submission:

pogue23 posted:

C'mon guys, Seriouly, Photoshop Dr. Phil!

DO IT !!

loving DO IT YOU ASSHOLES!!

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Guess the thread.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Old habits die hard. I recently got a bidet and attached it to my toilet but I still automatically reach for the toilet paper first before turning it on - 90% of the time I catch myself doing that and only usea little to dry myself off. For a little over 40 years I have only uses TP. Great thing though (other than feeling cleaner) is that for registering it I got toilet drop things to cover up the scent from when I drink a crap ton of milk. but I gave the lavendar scented one to someone else because lavendar gives me a headache so I have been using the lemon scent.

E: The bidet probably would have been great for the great toilet paper shortage but since I have always bought a ton of it at a time to last a year it never actually bothered me lol.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sirbeefalot posted:

Guess the thread.

genuinely surprised

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sirbeefalot posted:

Guess the thread.

completely normal goon oversharing

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

Guess the thread.

I took a wild guess (GWS) and the real answer was somehow stupider

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sometimes a good derail is fun

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I've always liked sketch comedy, but I really want to blast standup comedy as some horrible brainwashing experiment that has a natural tendency to end up this way. It feels built into the structure of the "art" itself since you are, basically, getting up in front of a big captive audience to manipulate them through catharsis like Hitler did to the Germans.

You get the audience to empty their minds, like a therapy session or having sex, and then the joke "lands" in their brain once they're receptive, rewriting the brain's pathways. Then you do this over and over again. The crowd reaction makes it even better when everyone is clapping, imitating each other, as opposed to a person doing critical thinking by themselves free from the "environmental influences."

It's almost perfectly designed to do this "I'm not against transgender people but I'm just saying you ain't a real woman because the real woman is..." and essentially playing a bad cop routine or Christian preachers talking about how "you're not a real Christian... because the real Christian..." or really any XXXX or ideology.

Sometimes it's okay to stop nodding along. You can be the brave individual who thinks "this isn't funny" and "I don't like it" and "actually this sucks." Maybe one day in the future people will look back at standup comedy as a barbaric or backwards or medieval thing like gladiator fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBBkcdmaoE

Guess the thread.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Lol it's literally 'you know who else stood up'

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We need more lay-down tragedy.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Aramis posted:

The polite version is: If someone who is being watched by thousands of people acknowledges their existence, it makes them feel more real.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Paladinus posted:

We need more lay-down tragedy.

Your past partners say you’ve had more than enough

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I was about to say nope to the hell we don't I got that part covered.

e: mon dieu

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

The standard in Germany for wisdom teeth extraction is local anaesthetic during and ibuprofen after. Mine were horizontal and extraction was pretty violent, but 800mg ibuprofen on the first day and a few 400mg the next day were fine. I was instructed to come back if the pain didn't let me sleep or was otherwise too much.

All in all 5/7, would… not do this again, tyvm, even if I got to spend a week on the couch instead of at work…
I opted for sedation to have mine out and that's midazolam, except as we were about to get started the anaesthesist told me "and if that doesn't do the trick", which it in fact turned out not to do, "I'll supplement it with something called ketamine."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, this game of Madlibs has gone too far.

Antigravitas posted:

How deep does this rabbit hole go?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jul 18, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

I opted for sedation to have mine out and that's midazolam, except as we were about to get started the anaesthesist told me "and if that doesn't do the trick", which it in fact turned out not to do, "I'll supplement it with something called ketamine."

drat, dentists give you ketamine now?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Biplane posted:

My dentist does. Well, he's not my dentist but he is my ketamine guy who is also a dentist on the side.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My dear son!

To achieve happines one needs three conditions:

Good skis;
A good wife; and
GOOD GRAHAM PORRIDGE

The lastly mentioned you can only get from
K. A. Koskinen's
People's restaurant

At the new student house,
East-Heikki street 9.

freeedr posted:

This is now Sokos department store. How can I achieve happiness now?

Platystemon posted:

Sokos deez nutz.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Kenning posted:

Schade is, as ever, on fans of San Diego sports.

https://twitter.com/DylanAdler6/status/1681038885894369280

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't get it. Explain it to me like I'm a browns fan

World War Mammories posted:

some people can experience an emotion you've never had called "joy"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Agile Vector posted:

lol, my mom and her siblings and friends would go into big drainage pipes by a huge retention pond when there was a dry spell and wander way down and yell at people from openings

we merely biked there and didn't antagonize the local population

Volmarias posted:

Congrats to your mom on being the clown from IT

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That's what half this subforum is called at work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Flush my life into feces, I'm at a Chud resort

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Biplane posted:

he must have noticed me perking up because he asked "you know what that is" and I did not reply "heck yeah I do doc, what are we waiting for" but "I think I've heard of it" while my entire brain was screaming IF YOU'VE NEVER EVER KEPT YOUR COOL AND PLAYED YOUR CARDS RIGHT FOR gently caress SAKE DO IT NOW

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

I found it!

In society, there are rules. If you ask me about my gun in the thread where you are supposed to ask me about my gun, you will be banned. That is a rule. If my dog paddles out to me while I am swimming and sniffs me, I will shoot that dog in the mouth. This is how men build a life. If I am in my swimming trunks and I ask you what time it is and if you say Noon and then later I find that it is in fact Dusk, I will kill you with a Long Sword. Rules, consequences, Gun, safety, shark terror: these things I believe.

a while back but thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

A Fancy Hat posted:

Back before Obama I could drink from the garden hose and buy a bag of candy for a nickel. Now the sun is a different color, my grandkids won't talk to me, and the voices are getting louder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The Crackhead Clubhouse › Help me convince my rheumy grandmother to eat hash

Bastard26 posted:

Alright, a little back-story. My grandmother is like my una-parent, she pretty much raised me so I care a lot about her. She's a recovered alcoholic of like 25+ years, which will play into things later. The thing is, she's got rheumatoid arthritis, and other chronic pain from several shoulder surgeries. Of course, because we live in Florida, the only things her doctors prescribe her are percocets and anti-inflammatory drugs, as well as whatever new anti-arthritis drug hits the market. The problem with this is, opiates are not a long term solution for any problem, and the anti-inflams tend to have a lot of negative side effects, such as severe nausea and all around lovely-ness.

Here's where me and my home cultivation project next year come into play. I'm going have hash, and a lot of it next year, more then I can consume by myself, and i'd like to bring her pill bottles of .5 gram 'hash tablets' she could cook with on really bad days. She's pretty skeptical, because she doesn't want to start doing any drugs that she feels would violate her AA program (The rule is you can't do anything not ok'd by your doctor, because you are powerless against drugs and any recreational drug use will lead to a relapse from sobriety). So I know I’d have to make sure the hash I bring her is of the right strain (indica, right?). But you know how grandparents are...

So basically i'm turning to the TCC for some really good gran-friendly arguments to convince her to try this 'new medication'.

Edit: Also, i'm a psychology major, with a special intrest in drugs, so I know a thing or too about these various drugs she's taking, and I really feel MJ would be a much better substitute.

LoosingStreek posted:

i say you just slip it to her when you are staying with her. then when shes really feelin the buzz, tell her what an awesome trick you've played on her.
then get kicked out forever. permanently.

good luck bro. oh, lemme know when you finally convince her, and ill rip the bong with you at her place sometime :420:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)