Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People have been writing spooky stories about isolated fog and haze filled transient fishing communities for a long time for good reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

There’s a reason Stephen King is from Maine.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
After watching Evil Dead Rise....it's not surprising to me that it was given a wide release. Characters and story weren't really unique in any way.....but I liked the build up either way. Moved pretty well after things went astray. I'm not much of a traditional horror movie fan....but I enjoy stuff like this every once in a while. (What I'd really like to see is a new season of Ash vs. Evil Dead though.....)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Flying Zamboni posted:

I'm confused isn't the guy who's doing it Basebf555? He started this whole conversation and has been giving his thoughts in this thread already.

I didn't see Hollis' original post but yea I was offered the chance to run the challenge this year and it's a pretty long running tradition now that I've been a part of and I would like to see it continue as long as possible. But I certainly would defer to others who may have a more specific vision for it that I may not be in a position to follow through on.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't see Hollis' original post but yea I was offered the chance to run the challenge this year and it's a pretty long running tradition now that I've been a part of and I would like to see it continue as long as possible. But I certainly would defer to others who may have a more specific vision for it that I may not be in a position to follow through on.

Thank you for doing it! I've really enjoyed it since I started participating and I'm looking forward to this year!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
gently caress yea

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Holy loving poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
:zpatriot:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail gein

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lmao

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

What happened to your gang tags?

Wait a second...

POD PERSON!!

POD PERSON!!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was in some incredibly spooky fog in some very haunting locations this weekend. Spooky fog rules.

Others than The Fog and City of the Dead and Plan 9, what are the best spooky fog movies

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

I was in some incredibly spooky fog in some very haunting locations this weekend. Spooky fog rules.

Others than The Fog and City of the Dead and Plan 9, what are the best spooky fog movies

The Mist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

feedmyleg posted:

Sleepy Hollow

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

In The Earth has some good sporous fog

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The Evil Dead was foggier than I remembered

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
I just watched Blue Sunshine for the first time and it utterly blew my mind.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi103399961/?ref_=nm_vi_i_1

Not strictly horror but every scene is shocking. Or hilarious.

bbobseq fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 19, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

feedmyleg posted:

Neon Maniacs has some quality fog scenes. The first Silent Hill movie isn't terrible either.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Catching up on thread -

FWIW, my spouse and I do a “30 for 30” October marathon (Halloween night is blocked off).

We made a list of 150(?) themes/sub genres/styles and, in September, do a RNG “draft,” assigning one to each day of October. The only rule is that each movie must be one that one or both of us have never seen or that broth of us have not seen in decades.

I’m happy to share some of the categories here if it helps get ideas flowing. For example, one we have is “Bright Lights, Big Kills,” which can be: movie must take place in daytime, or movie with A list actors, or take place in a major city.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Naked Man Punch posted:

I’m happy to share some of the categories here if it helps get ideas flowing. For example, one we have is “Bright Lights, Big Kills,” which can be: movie must take place in daytime, or movie with A list actors, or take place in a major city.

So, Return of the Killer Tomatoes then?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

My partner and I have a TV station that runs 24/7 in our home and one of the channels specifically has monthly themes, with October of course being reserved for Halloween and horror - mostly movies with some shows and specials there too. We try and update the lineup every year and it's fun because you never really know what's going to air next. Last year the theme was Kingtober, which was a combination of Stephen King films and movies we've been too afraid or nervous to watch in the past for one reason or another such as Hereditary or Drag Me To Hell. It's actually how they got me to watch a ton of horror in 2020 which started my love of the genre - they put together a massive list of their favorites and random ones they wanted to watch, and this was a few months after we started working at home due to lockdown so I was basically Clockwork Oranging myself with horror movies and realizing how much of it kicked rear end. It was awesome.

I think this year we're thinking of a Hidden Gems theme, possibly mixed with a Great Horror Directors deal, but it's still a WIP.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Jedit posted:

So, Return of the Killer Tomatoes then?

That or “Midnight in the Garden of Evil.”

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Black Sunday aka The Mask of Satan

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Anybody else going to see Terrifier in its limited theatrical re-release this week? Just me? :fiesta:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sorry Art your first outing wasn’t my thing

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shrecknet posted:

Anybody else going to see Terrifier in its limited theatrical re-release this week? Just me? :fiesta:

Thinking about it. Barbie and Oppenheimer screenings are jam packed or sold out till two weeks into August in my area so seeing Terrifier in theaters feels like a consolation prize.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sadly I just didn't care for Terrifier 1. But I respect the hustle.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The first Silent Hill movie isn't terrible either.

SILENT HILLL! SIIILENT HILLLLL!!!!! will never leave my head. Such a bad start to an otherwise fine adaption (despite a somewhat overly bombastic ending).

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I don't understand how the director of brotherhood of the wolf made a grand total of 2 other movies in the 22 years since

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been meaning to rewatch brotherhood of the wolf for like 3 years now, I wonder if it holds up

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
TIL he's directing a Silent Hill sequel that's currently(~?) in production.

Edit: it's starring a bunch of Brits, so I'm guessing that means it's still in production.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

bbobseq posted:

I just watched Blue Sunshine for the first time and it utterly blew my mind.

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi103399961/?ref_=nm_vi_i_1

Not strictly horror but every scene is shocking. Or hilarious.

Thank you for getting me to watch this, I am dying laughing at this movie. It absolutely rules.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

if it’s filming in the UK and they’re working under an Equity (British version of SAG-AFTRA) contract they’re probably good, but if they’re filming in the US they’d better not be filming, haha.

completely different thought: my sister is in training to become a child protective worker, a job I did for a few years a quarter of my lifetime ago. I know there’s Case 39 and Daylight (2013) (bad movie!); which other horror movies are about social services workers?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

if it’s filming in the UK and they’re working under an Equity (British version of SAG-AFTRA) contract they’re probably good, but if they’re filming in the US they’d better not be filming, haha.

completely different thought: my sister is in training to become a child protective worker, a job I did for a few years a quarter of my lifetime ago. I know there’s Case 39 and Daylight (2013) (bad movie!); which other horror movies are about social services workers?

The Baby (1973), which is... a helluva movie.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

anything where the Wikipedia article says “The film is considered a cult classic” is a have-to-watch, hell yeah

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Baby is the one movie I will never stomach. I almost gave it a shot when it was on The Last Drive-In but I was too tired at the time so that made a good excuse for me to bail. I don't have any moral issue with it or whatever, but just knowing what I know, well, I just don't think it's a particularly fun time for me. But if you want a horror movie with a social worker, I expect you'll find none better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Not playing anywhere near me

I'm seeing at least Barbie and Oppenheimer tomorrow (depending on the time I arrive I might also go for Mission Impossible, Insidious and/or No Hard Feelings. I preordered the Barbie and Oppenheimer tickets a month ago, so excited for both and I got a double-feature shirt today :getin:), and I'm thinking about seeing Cobweb either later in the weekend, or sometime next weekend as a double feature with Talk To Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I remembe me going in blind to this one when it was one of the first films on Shudder UK and …..holy hell!