Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Koirhor posted:

thanks for the Mashle recommendation I am enjoying one punch man goes to hogwarts

It's so good, manga finished a week or two ago as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

This goon is incorrect but the actual Dr. Stone is manga spoilers

Oh you know what, you're right I just remembered what it actually is. I like my answer better though

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tokin opposition posted:

Hitler never watched a single anime... Makes you think

Bin Laden did though

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Been watching Dead Mount Death Play from last season. It's written by the same guy who wrote Baccano and Durarara and it's been pretty fun so far. A rare reverse isekai with the kind of deranged big personalities you'd expect from him

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Best Isekai was the story I read where doomguy got isekaied and then at the current last chapter it was revealed master chief had also been isekaied to the same world

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

christmas boots posted:

Bin Laden did though

He'd earned it.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Out of curiosity did any of you like Magical Circle Guru Guru (2017) and then go back and watch the 90s version?

I really liked the remake and only recently found out there was an older version with 83 episodes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I don't think the author is communist or anything, 12 Kingdoms actually contains some stuff that is a bit surprising when I was rewatching it recently. A couple things that stood out to me:

- The king of Hou and his wife are executed in an uprising in response to being terrible and executing people for things like stealing bread. The show's "voice of reason" character (the rat-man Rakushun) tells the daughter of said king that her parents basically had it coming and she shares in the guilt due to her willful ignorance. The man who executed the girl's mother in front of her is correctly portrayed as a virtuous citizen who cares for the well-being of his nation.

- At one point the show (approvingly) mentions how every citizen in the 12 kingdoms is granted farmable land and a house.

Granted the nations all have kings/queens, but that's because it's a metaphysical requirement in their world, and failure to create a prosperous nation results in the inevitable death of its (otherwise immortal) monarch. So there's an in-built mechanism preventing the long rule of lovely kings/queens.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Undead Girl Murder Farce turns out to be extremely enjoyable. So much so that twice now I was surprised to see the ED start when I thought the episode wasn't even halfway through which for a show that is 90% talking is impressive. Though if it takes them 3 episodes to solve every case, with only 12 episodes that's not going to be a lot of cases in the whole show...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

January 6 Survivor posted:

Undead Girl Murder Farce turns out to be extremely enjoyable. So much so that twice now I was surprised to see the ED start when I thought the episode wasn't even halfway through which for a show that is 90% talking is impressive. Though if it takes them 3 episodes to solve every case, with only 12 episodes that's not going to be a lot of cases in the whole show...

When its hit that ed the last two episodes I couldn't believe it was already up. I'm intrested in seeing where they go woth who commited this first murder

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/kishigunpla/status/1681070748436144128?s=20

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe not quite THAT ambitious

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I came here to be gay at you 😎

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
be gay do warcrimes?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

net work error posted:

I came here to be gay at you 😎

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Getting into Nadia, what should I expect?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Some enjoyable recurring dork trio if SRW X was any indication

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nadia herself is the worst part of the show by far.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nadia herself is the worst part of the show by far.
*points at screen*
that's the secret of blue water

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

:siren: its finally happening :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRrqvjjKlOs

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I’ve been reading Golden Kamuy and I’ve learned a tremendous amount of stuff about Ainu culture and the history of Hokkaido in general. the amount of effort expended on behalf of general historicity in the background really does a lot to hold up the story itself, which is mostly just fine but sometimes really good. it’s not particularly assertive or explicit politically about the colonial encounter and Japanese imperialism, which is too bad, though. in a lot of ways it reminds me of Lone Wolf and Cub in that I couldn’t get through a single volume without learning at least three or four neat new details about daily life in different eras of Japanese history, but LWAC is an all-time masterpiece and Golden Kamuy doesn’t quite reach those heights, I’d imagine, though I’m only on the sixth book.

anyway it’s nice to see something with such a unique setting that really puts in the effort with Ainu stuff, including the language, cosmology, and, most importantly, indigenous hunting and cooking techniques and how they interacted with Japanese industrialization to produce new syncretic foods which is obviously a metaphor for the broader processes that frame the story. weirdly in a very tangential way it reminds me of my all time favorite stories in any medium, Corto Maltese, which has a couple stories set in the Far East and including magical realist elements with a genuine if sometimes flawed respect for the indigenous people there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No!
I just got the loving murder babies out of my head! And now you spun them back in

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Ytlaya posted:

While I don't think the author is communist or anything, 12 Kingdoms actually contains some stuff that is a bit surprising when I was rewatching it recently. A couple things that stood out to me:

- The king of Hou and his wife are executed in an uprising in response to being terrible and executing people for things like stealing bread. The show's "voice of reason" character (the rat-man Rakushun) tells the daughter of said king that her parents basically had it coming and she shares in the guilt due to her willful ignorance. The man who executed the girl's mother in front of her is correctly portrayed as a virtuous citizen who cares for the well-being of his nation.

- At one point the show (approvingly) mentions how every citizen in the 12 kingdoms is granted farmable land and a house.

Granted the nations all have kings/queens, but that's because it's a metaphysical requirement in their world, and failure to create a prosperous nation results in the inevitable death of its (otherwise immortal) monarch. So there's an in-built mechanism preventing the long rule of lovely kings/queens.

I dunno Twelve Kingdoms always seemed to me a (unintended by the author) straight up horror show of a setting. What with all the face stealing, kidnapping, fruit people, and immortal monarchs ruling over (no matter how kindly a Japanese teenager) peasants who have immortality cruelly denied to them by a capricious and arbitrary God.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

that uzumaki trailer looks good

so does this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpP-XvigVzs

galagazombie posted:

I dunno Twelve Kingdoms always seemed to me a (unintended by the author) straight up horror show of a setting. What with all the face stealing, kidnapping, fruit people, and immortal monarchs ruling over (no matter how kindly a Japanese teenager) peasants who have immortality cruelly denied to them by a capricious and arbitrary God.

yeah and the fact that the author seems to not find it horrific was what made me tap out. i just couldn't enjoy it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

isn't this just mandate of heaven stuff?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Started watching Summertime Render after hearing a few friends rave about it. Only watched the first few episodes but it's real good. If you're into small town mystery shows, it's worth checking out and I'd recommend going in blind

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I don't mind the stuff with the kings/queens since it's an actual metaphysical element of the setting that characters are forced to deal with, for both good and ill. And it actually seems to work well in most places, mainly due to those same metaphysics causing weather, crop yields, etc to be good when a ruler is good - we just get a disproportionate view into places where things are hosed up due to bad rulers or being temporarily without a ruler. Another upside is the fact that it is impossible for a nation to directly attack another nation, so wars are usually limited to internal ones, like the one we see in the latter parts of the anime. The fact that it causes problems isn't really a problem with the story, since it's not advocating the existence of immortal leaders elsewhere.

I think the only real significant issue I have with the setting is that I don't understand why "the heavens" (through the Kirin, who have no control over it) sometimes choose obviously terrible rulers. Like when Keiki meets the previous Kei Queen, he's immediately like "this woman is obviously unsuitable to lead, but she has the ruler aura so guess I gotta do this..." Especially since it seems like they usually make good choices (or at least ones that start out good and only become terrible after many decades, if not centuries).

But I was mainly just commenting on the fact that it's rare for stuff like the things I mentioned to pop up in more modern (like 90s onward) Japanese media, since there's usually just this background assumption of liberal democratic values (so something like "distributing the land to everyone instead of allowing it to be traded/rented for profit" is unusual). Same with outright executing a bad (but technically "legitimate") leader via rebellion. Normally I'd expect something like "the King getting himself killed through doing something bad/stupid" or "the King killing himself after being deposed." I doubt these things are connected to any coherent political ideology on the part of the author, but it's still interesting (particularly the land thing, since stuff like that is literally the cause of capitalist wars against communist nations IRL).

Cerebral Bore posted:

isn't this just mandate of heaven stuff?

Basically yeah, but in a setting where it exists in a very literal sense. The story doesn't actually take a position on it being good or something that is desirable. Our world also exists in this setting, and the world of the 12 Kingdoms is generally treated as a worse place to be, with zero implications that our world would be better with the same system. It's just something people need to deal with in that world. Nations need to be concerned with things like "if the leader next door sucks or disappears, there will be a flood of refugees into my country due to poor crop yields and frequent monster attacks."

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 18:06 on Jul 23, 2023

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
interesting setting, lovely writing many such cases

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ytlaya posted:

Basically yeah, but in a setting where it exists in a very literal sense. The story doesn't actually take a position on it being good or something that is desirable. Our world also exists in this setting, and the world of the 12 Kingdoms is generally treated as a worse place to be, with zero implications that our world would be better with the same system.

this is true, but i do think it's presented as a world of romance and beauty. which, fine, that just makes it a typical fantasy setting. im not yet ready to call all of those necessarily regressive.

also i do not think the writing is bad.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Koirhor posted:

im still mad about how cool aot could have been
the musou game is really fun too argh

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

im still mad about how cool aot could have been
the musou game is really fun too argh

It's fine

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Koirhor posted:

shinseikai yori is the only one i can think of that pulled it off really well

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Megamissen posted:

shinseikai yori is the only one i can think of that pulled it off really well

oh absolutely that was a banger

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Reign of the Seven Spellblades feels like a Harry Potter ripoff but also more inventive? Also not made by an awful person (that I know).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

January 6 Survivor posted:

Reign of the Seven Spellblades feels like a Harry Potter ripoff but also more inventive? Also not made by an awful person (that I know).

That's part of the hook, but it's really (premise spoilers) The Count of Monte Cristo wearing the skin of the Harry Potter franchise.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Darth Walrus posted:

That's part of the hook, but it's really (premise spoilers) The Count of Monte Cristo wearing the skin of the Harry Potter franchise.

alright, alright, I'm there for it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinsekai Yori didn't do much for me. I think it may have if I had watched it earlier. It seems to rely heavily on someone finding its setting interesting/surprising. Also the stuff with the kids having relationships as young teens had kinda weird vibes. I think Haibane Renmei is a bit better with the mysterious setting (though it also deliberately keeps a lot of major mysteries unanswered).

I like 12 Kingdoms mainly because its setting just defines the circumstances for its various short stories and collection of characters. The setting itself isn't exceptionally interesting, but it doesn't need to be since it isn't the main draw.

As for how its setting is presented, I get the impression it's portrayed as "beautiful, but in a way the natural world is beautiful, where it can be terrible for individual entities living in it." The biggest problem with the setting is probably the lack of agency for people who either aren't Kings/Queens or don't have contact with Kings/Queens (since it's literally ordained by heaven and there's jack poo poo a person can do to improve their country other than attempt to influence their monarch and, in the absolute worse case, kill them - but this is undesirable since it guarantees years of suffering until the new monarch is selected). Fundamentally changing the political system is literally impossible, since the existence of a monarch is necessary. But this doesn't prevent stories from still taking place in that context (and in some ways it's more realistic, since it's not like normal people can influence much in the real world either).

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Penultimate ep of heavenly delusion loving sucks. So's the handling of those events in the last ep

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Started watching Summertime Render after hearing a few friends rave about it. Only watched the first few episodes but it's real good. If you're into small town mystery shows, it's worth checking out and I'd recommend going in blind

I just watched the first 6 of so episodes, and you're right, this is good. Hell of a lot better than Housing Complex C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Penultimate ep of heavenly delusion loving sucks. So's the handling of those events in the last ep

guess it being good was a!!!!