Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
As has been said, they apparently had genuine trouble coming up with GI Joe style names that the franchise hadn't already taken.

Also reading Dr McNinja in the PYF comics thread and realising it'd fit straight into Venture Bros. Gordito's pretty much a competent Hank... and Dark Smoke Puncher a more enthusiastic Dean, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Lady-Hawk Johnson and Lyndon-Bee might be my favorite one off villains in the entire series.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that was Brock Samson, rather, but same gist.
Brock and Shore Leave had the speech about Dr. Shumpmaker, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch had the one to JJ with "you throw a rock, they throw a nuke" or whatever which I think was in The Lepidopterists.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"you throw a rock, they throw a nuke"

But enough about the IDF.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Brock and Shore Leave had the speech about Dr. Shumpmaker, Dr. Mrs. The Monarch had the one to JJ with "you throw a rock, they throw a nuke" or whatever which I think was in The Lepidopterists.

From memory, if I can: you throw a rock, they throw a knife; you throw a knife, they sneak into your house and murder your family.

VB minus 3 Days.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Interviews with Doc and Jackson are starting to trickle out and there’s blurays in the wild so be wary of spoilers I guess.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Finally got around to preordering the movie and it must really be backordered since the delivery date is September 4th.

Luckily I have Max and will be able to see it there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

limp_cheese posted:

Luckily I have Max and will be able to see it there.

It's not going to be on MAX for several months after release.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it helps that the really stupid ones are just all the funnier for it.

I feel like Tank Top is just the right combination of "it was right in front of us all along" and incredibly stupid that it works.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I appreciate how Tank Top’s tank top is one of the things stolen by the Creep.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I appreciate how Tank Top’s tank top is one of the things stolen by the Creep.

It's Mission Creep. :colbert:

Also, I still can't get over the butter-glider callback. Three seasons and eight loving years later. Wait, what?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

It's Mission Creep. :colbert:

Also, I still can't get over the butter-glider callback. Three seasons and eight loving years later. Wait, what?!

It was Mission Creep when he was with the OSI. Now he’s just The Creep according to what Dr. Z said.

They rewatch the whole series before writing new seasons. We get callbacks to season one all the time such as Rodney’s stroke and Dr. O’s nonchalance.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Toast!

Edit: I also love how they poo poo up a plan to get Action Man to safety that involves using a superscienced cockroach, and White comments, "Wow--they didn't even hesitate! It's like they've done that before!"

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 19, 2023

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

What I really love about that is that they are to Team Venture as Team Venture is to the normals. They've just been at it longer.

Rusty cracks his knuckles and zombifies a dead politician with a smile on his face.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
"And look, a magic nurse shoe!"

The Venture Brothers may be ending, but I'll never get back the brain space its phrases occupy.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DNA Cowboys posted:

the brain space its phrases occupy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykEGtwJuZIs&t=104s

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Reviews are starting to trickle out too,

Non spoiler review, but in spoiler-ing in case someone wants to go into it super blind:

quote:

All in all, an extra-long episode that's low-key, very funny, and heroic in the way it underplays everything, so very on brand. ...it is exactly what Venture-Heads would want, with the only sad part being the potential that this could be the last thing we ever get from the team.

And in response to someone asking if this is "an ending",

quote:

Not an ending. Just another adventure that finally answers a few long-term, but plot inessential, questions.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 19, 2023

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
TBH I would be completely okay with this movie ending on a frustrating cliffhanger(*) and almost nothing answered. That would be just so on brand

*Not a spoiler, just speculation

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't care about answers, I care if Billy eats the pennies or not

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's another season coming

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You can't tease that, the wound is still too fresh :qq:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Eeeeeeee!

It's happening!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Nice! posted:

It was Mission Creep when he was with the OSI. Now he’s just The Creep according to what Dr. Z said.

They rewatch the whole series before writing new seasons. We get callbacks to season one all the time such as Rodney’s stroke and Dr. O’s nonchalance.

Which is a special case of 'What were you expecting when you gave him that name' yet also fitting in as military lingo.

tarlibone posted:

Toast!

Edit: I also love how they poo poo up a plan to get Action Man to safety that involves using a superscienced cockroach, and White comments, "Wow--they didn't even hesitate! It's like they've done that before!"

A cockroach super-sized by super-science and controlled by magic. Given all the petty slapfighting over magic and science it's actually impressive when they wordlessly drop all that and work together seamlessly.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
I'm having a hard time with this. I've been watching since it premiered, and saying goodbye after so many years was never going to be easy, but knowing that it'll be a truncated approximation of what might have been is making it impossible to accept. Of course I appreciate getting anything at all after the cancellation, yet as I read interviews with Doc and Jackson saying how they don't want to stop yet, how they at least wanted an eighth season and a special, and how so much of even what was written specifically for this movie had to be cut, I'm feeling a lot of not good emotions.

I'm not joking when I say that if I win the Powerball tonight, I'll buy the rights and keep the show going for as long as the guys want it to.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thinking about the show ending makes me so sad I missed out on the artbook :sigh:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 20, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It still blows my mind how much people are asking for that. I moved and donated a copy to a friend of mine, then bought myself a new copy only like two years ago.

Going off ebay sold listings, it looks like it's actually selling for a couple hundred reliably too.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, every listing I've seen is like $200+ :sigh: :sigh:

I did find this account that's selling a bunch of production art, if anyone's interested. They're selling some neat stuff!

https://www.ebay.com/usr/ccwheeze?_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2559

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Let's see how long I can keep this winning bid...

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

drat I’d love to have some shore leave art but..not that one

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Less than 24 hours til it drops. :unsmith:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Happy Landfill posted:

Thinking about the show ending makes me so sad I missed out on the artbook :sigh:

I'm so glad I didn't, especially considering I never buy that sort of thing. I think you guys were hyping it up in here so much that I said what the heck and ordered a copy.

So, uh, what's the best way to watch this thing tomorrow night? I generally pirate everything but I'd like to at least show my support this time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Phenotype posted:

I'm so glad I didn't, especially considering I never buy that sort of thing. I think you guys were hyping it up in here so much that I said what the heck and ordered a copy.

So, uh, what's the best way to watch this thing tomorrow night? I generally pirate everything but I'd like to at least show my support this time.

You can buy it and watch it at midnight tonight via basically any digital platform. I'm likely buying it through itunes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can buy it and watch it at midnight tonight via basically any digital platform. I'm likely buying it through itunes.

As much as I'd love to binge this as soon as possible, it's too important to waste this watching at 1am huddled at my desk. Gonna wait til my cousin is off work tomorrow and watch with him.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Less than 24 hours til it drops. :unsmith:

Looks like people on Reddit got it yesterday.

They only posted the cover of the DVD, no spoilers so far.
https://www.reddit.com/r/venturebros/comments/1547t7s/its_soo_radiant/?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Amazon said I will get the Blu-ray by August 3rd so I've got that going for me

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm gonna be F5'ing all the usual torrent sites tonight (it's OK guys I pre-ordered the blu-ray I'm a good person)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there a DVD release? I don't own a Blu-ray and all of my other seasons are DVD.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mutantIke posted:

I'm gonna be F5'ing all the usual torrent sites tonight (it's OK guys I pre-ordered the blu-ray I'm a good person)

Don't you get a digital download code with it?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm through season 3 on my rewatch but I'll probably watch the movie and then go back to where I was. I always forget how dense this series is with jokes. My favourite from the last episode I watched was the sign at the strip club that said:

COLD BEER
HOT GIRLS
BOTH WET?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Don't you get a digital download code with it?

I or-ordered the movie on Blu-ray, but I don't think the code was sent when I offered it. It'll probably be on an insert in the case, but who knows.