Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
it's why in the best universe they realise this and immediately march on the EU that now has no ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Just as Reagan out spent the Soviet Union into bankruptcy...

... turnabout is fair play

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

The short version: 'the west' decided it didn't need to do this after the collapse and looted the country instead. Here we are today.

Why exactly? Who knows. It probably had to do with the personal views of the leaders at the time.

Western analysts blamed the failure of Russian privatization on a lack of "rule of law," which was necessary to support markets and free enterprise. They primarily thought that because any enterprising and connected former nomenklatura could hire goons from the local gym to muscle out foreign capitalists who were buying up all the profitable industries like liquor distilleries. Not appreciating the fact that the relative lawlessness in Russia was a consequence of the kind of radical privatization that they had pushed on the Yeltsin administration in the first place.

By the time the Putin administration had actually realized the kind of "rule of law" they wanted to support capitalist enterprise, they were already shut out from Russian industries and couldn't get a cut.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole experience of this war is proof positive that Westerners are the most vile and contemptible people on the planet, wholly incapable of any self reflection or responsibility for their failures. And this is the club that Ukrainians are dying by the score to join.

i love the idea that the reason that theyre not advancing is that they havent sufficiently purged the soviet from themselves

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Decommunization is hard work.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

BearsBearsBears posted:

Dahir Insaat already invented it and he did it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHviFIezV6o

Ytlaya posted:

drat this man is buying a huge amount of meat. 7 different slabs of beef/chicken, and later he gets some sausage.

This video is crucially missing the cutaway to whatever crazy poo poo Dahir is imagining happening underground.

edit: I'm fond of the one with the hosed up dystopian mall tube city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lhas3dJqIo

Imagining someone just putting some random poo poo into the tube and what a mess it would be to fix.

bedpan posted:

four packages of sausage lmao

also, saw that they reposted the famous earthquake coffin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BSKRY_mokg

BearsBearsBears posted:

That's an improvement over the previous one which was the same concept of a grocery store you drive through but the first one was indoors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQsNktD9zW4

why is everyone acting like im supposed to know where these videos came from

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Some Guy TT posted:

why is everyone acting like im supposed to know where these videos came from

how does it feel motherfuckerrrrrr

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lets kill him

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If you haven't had Dahir Insaat solutions in your life, have you ever even lived?

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

sum posted:

Ukraine is down to firing "2,000 to 3,000" shells per day. Thankfully they plan to fix the problem in only a few years by incentivizing private manufacturers to expand capacity.
https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/18/politics/ukraine-critical-ammo-shortage-us-nato-grapple/index.html

Didn't we JUST have a discussion about how Ukraine supposedly managed to get artillery advantage in at least some part of the front? That does not add up as is tradition wit the reporting.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the sheer loving inability to executive order a national munitions plant lmao

neolib brains look at very cheap chinese widgets and conclude they must be very easy to make solely of their price, instead of understanding they are a result of decades of tens of trillions in investments in infrastructure

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DancingShade posted:

I'm not sure I want to try shooting unguided rockets at a drone that's only slightly larger. A large bullet seems like it would do the job.

It's a shoot and scoot low intensity insurgency vehicle being shoehorned into an AA role, for some reason. I guess when the shelves are bare...

Bring back punt guns

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the vatican goons came to rattle joe up. the counteroffensive is taking too long! his holiness is anxious for progress on progetto galizzia.
Readout of President Joe Biden’s Meeting with Cardinal Matteo Zuppi of the Holy See | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov posted:

President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. met today with Cardinal Matteo Maria Zuppi, Archbishop of Bologna and President of the Italian Episcopal Conference.  President Biden shared his wishes for Pope Francis’s continued ministry and global leadership and welcomed the recent nomination of a U.S. archbishop as cardinal.  They also discussed the Holy See’s efforts providing humanitarian aid to address the widespread suffering caused by Russia’s continuing aggression in Ukraine, as well as the Vatican’s advocacy for the return of forcibly deported Ukrainian children. 

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The whole experience of this war is proof positive that Westerners are the most vile and contemptible people on the planet, wholly incapable of any self reflection or responsibility for their failures. And this is the club that Ukrainians are dying by the score to join.

I mean, they can't outright print the real reason in the paper, which is that the AFU is incompetent at planning and executing a combined arms operation because there's a dearth of qualified officers and because the army has been watered down with barely-trained reservists and conscripts. So the best they can do is allude to it by saying their planning is "Soviet-style" (i.e. bad) and that the grunts should be pressed to demonstrate more elan.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

lol didn't they do the "western-style breach" attempt at the very start and it ended up with a lot of foreign hardware abandoned in minefields? what on earth do they need to do to "press harder"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

HiroProtagonist posted:

lol didn't they do the "western-style breach" attempt at the very start and it ended up with a lot of foreign hardware abandoned in minefields? what on earth do they need to do to "press harder"

1. unopposed airstrikes for a week
2. ????
3. complete victory

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

dead gay comedy forums posted:

the sheer loving inability to executive order a national munitions plant lmao

The logic of neoliberalism has completely captured the US ruling class. The concept of state-directed industrial capacity doesn't even enter their brains, it might as well not exist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

HiroProtagonist posted:

Shock and Awe

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

lobster shirt posted:

Some US officials had hoped the Ukrainians would be relying less on artillery at this point and more on combined arms maneuvers, a more efficient and sophisticated style of fighting that the US has been training Ukrainian forces on for months.

Why did they think this would happen, especially without air superiority? Was this supposed to be willed into existence by wishing for it hard enough?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

Why did they think this would happen, especially without air superiority? Was this supposed to be willed into existence by wishing for it hard enough?

VoicesCanBe posted:

The logic of neoliberalism has completely captured the US ruling class. The concept of state-directed industrial capacity doesn't even enter their brains, it might as well not exist.

Palladium posted:

neolib brains look at very cheap chinese widgets and conclude they must be very easy to make solely of their price, instead of understanding they are a result of decades of tens of trillions in investments in infrastructure

so much for the arsenal of democracy. Ukrainians being told to git gud while being blown in idiotic moves for the sake of NATO-oriented grifting is ghoulish even for the institution's standards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

some kind of lightning war

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

VoicesCanBe posted:

I wish I could post more about work, but I wasn't kidding when I was saying that the shell plant would prefer to make axels instead of expanding 155mm production and so all we can do is pay more for the same amount of shells from them in the next FY and hope that encourages them to expand production. So we're paying more, not for more shells, but to nudge them into maybe making more shells in the future. Which would presumably be at the higher price we're negotiating now to convince them to do that.

What's the opposite of economies of scale?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:03 on Jul 19, 2023

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

VoicesCanBe posted:

I remember reading an interview with a western military source (can't recall if it was Miley or someone un-named) where they flat out admitted that Ukraine had no real hope for success on paper attacking to the south, but they were hoping for a collapse of Russian morale when the offensive got going leading to a widespread abandoning of defensive positions. Outright wishing for the best case scenario to make good on their promises.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

As mildly as possible, everyone with a policy background, as opposed to a military or academic background, believes poo poo like this. Read their loving stupid pablum books to understand how they think.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

sum posted:

I mean, they can't outright print the real reason in the paper, which is that the AFU is incompetent at planning and executing a combined arms operation because there's a dearth of qualified officers and because the army has been watered down with barely-trained reservists and conscripts. So the best they can do is allude to it by saying their planning is "Soviet-style" (i.e. bad) and that the grunts should be pressed to demonstrate more elan.

One of the most important elements of the "combined arms" doctrine is air power, which Ukraine has none of.

supersnowman posted:

Didn't we JUST have a discussion about how Ukraine supposedly managed to get artillery advantage in at least some part of the front? That does not add up as is tradition wit the reporting.

there's a lot of reasons that the UAF could achieve local superiority in the south. maybe the Russians have moved their guns to support Bakhmut and the attacks around Lyman, while the Ukrainians had massed guns "Soviet style" to try and force a breakthrough somewhere. When they were touting the amount of fires before, it was literally in the couple of thousands compared to the Russians popping off less than 1000.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

the vatican goons came to rattle joe up. the counteroffensive is taking too long! his holiness is anxious for progress on progetto galizzia.
Readout of President Joe Biden’s Meeting with Cardinal Matteo Zuppi of the Holy See | The White House

Mamma mia!!!

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

What's the opposite of economies of scale?

boutique process

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

As mildly as possible, everyone with a policy background, as opposed to a military or academic background, believes poo poo like this. Read their loving stupid pablum books to understand how they think.

my wife was reading Sunstein and Kahneman's "Noise" in that same milieu

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the gently caress

Al! has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

blaming awful app for this fuckup

Al! has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Jul 19, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/GraduatedBen/status/1681485922821341185?s=20

https://twitter.com/cirnosad/status/1681482591827013632?s=20

Haven't seen any footage or photos of the damage yet. Apparently Zelensky has been telling shippers to ignore the end of the grain deal and come to Odessa anyway.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013
Are we sure the motivation of the US military isn't that both sides are equally soviet and it's best to maximize the soviet body count?

Going "I had no faith in that guy but you are different" like some penny arcade comic as a replacement for, you know, military power to convince more people to explode in gibs seems like there isn't really any gain otherwise.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

killing Soviets is the point of nato yeah

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al! posted:

blaming awful app for this fuckup

Al! posted:

the gently caress

i saw it. :whitewater:

e: you should have left it up it would have been worth it

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
https://twitter.com/twlldun/status/1681197896476000256?s=46&t=t5tiuHEdU31jr3-QGztGWg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lmfao

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1681028889399762945
https://twitter.com/DavidSacks/status/1681036393122766848

just a few more on the "western talking heads predicting the destruction of cowardly orcs through western ubermensch maneuver warfare" pile

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
yeah i think at this point its a given that the ukranian counter offensive has failed, the problem for the russians is that they cant exploit that failure so the ukranians will just re-arm and try again later.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/pc_threads/status/1681070604718428162?s=20