Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
ChatGPT, in my personal experience, has gotten quite a bit shittier in the past few months. It’s like the responses are forced to the reading level of the 5% dumbest Bing users, and only common knowledge information is allowed. I can’t find a good way to fix it.

This got me thinking, AI is going to be way shittier than any of us imagined, a dull mush of corporate-approved personalities operating at the level of a call-center script, nearly useless except when unleashed in their full power by VC on yet-unshittified enterprises, constrained to the minimum level of capability except when hyperfucking the unmonetized pieces of the world.

In a way it would be pretty similar to the rise and fall of the internet. At first, a Wild West built on miracle technology with the potential to change the world, but quickly gobbled up by late-stage capitalism and reduced to a homogenous paste of least-denominator consumption nuggets and user tracking.

I’ll have a spicy chicken and a small chili

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Ai is only looking like a chatbot because all we have is autocorrect/prediction with a ton of input data and we let them steal the word ai without a fight. What you're thinking of is now called agi

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Here's one related to Amazon being a loving BLDG 19 rummage sale - Amazon wishlists have clamped down like Twitter banning people sharing their mastodons or whatever.

I can't add freetext ideas anymore, and I can't use some weird browser plugin to add external links, and god damnit is there some other place I can put a wishlist that will work like that? Just a bunch of shopping links that somebody can check off if they buy it?

Almost none of what I put on that goddam thing was from Amazon for obvious reasons, and it's how a lot of far-flung family from across the world see what I'm into these days. What are my options?

Our whole family uses giftster.com, which has also gotten shittier over the years. It does exactly what you're asking and has made gift buying for birthdays and christmas a lot easier!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

ChatGPT, in my personal experience, has gotten quite a bit shittier in the past few months. It’s like the responses are forced to the reading level of the 5% dumbest Bing users, and only common knowledge information is allowed. I can’t find a good way to fix it.

This got me thinking, AI is going to be way shittier than any of us imagined, a dull mush of corporate-approved personalities operating at the level of a call-center script, nearly useless except when unleashed in their full power by VC on yet-unshittified enterprises, constrained to the minimum level of capability except when hyperfucking the unmonetized pieces of the world.

In a way it would be pretty similar to the rise and fall of the internet. At first, a Wild West built on miracle technology with the potential to change the world, but quickly gobbled up by late-stage capitalism and reduced to a homogenous paste of least-denominator consumption nuggets and user tracking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbIk7-JPB2c

This video is long, you can watch it or not; but the tl;dr is that one of the guys who was responsible for implementing GPT into Bing talks at length about his experiences. He thinks it's close to a general intelligence; I disagree, but it's relevant here because he also talks about how every time a new constraint is added to the system so you can't ask it to say slurs or how to make bombs or write a script to spam emails it gets dumber and the quality of the answers is worse. It's long but I found it interesting.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Fan culture and stan culture has gotten shittier and people just seem to put up with it.

You're a professional music critic who gives the latest Taylor Swift album an 8/10 instead of the 10/10 her fans think it deserves? You're doxxed and your family now gets death threats for the next couple of weeks.

Put out a mildly critical tweet about a K-pop group? You won't post ever again and your employer will start being contacted about every past slip-up you ever had.

But hey that's just being online these days.

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Here's one related to Amazon being a loving BLDG 19 rummage sale - Amazon wishlists have clamped down like Twitter banning people sharing their mastodons or whatever.

I can't add freetext ideas anymore, and I can't use some weird browser plugin to add external links, and god damnit is there some other place I can put a wishlist that will work like that? Just a bunch of shopping links that somebody can check off if they buy it?

Almost none of what I put on that goddam thing was from Amazon for obvious reasons, and it's how a lot of far-flung family from across the world see what I'm into these days. What are my options?

I've started using https://www.thingstogetme.com/ , it's pretty simple but does the job. Even has an android app.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I don’t have any kids so no ponies in this race, but apparently trying to get daycare for kids is REALLY insane these days. Super expensive and very few slots.

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

*im not wondering, let’s be real.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

teen witch posted:

I’m wondering if it’s similar to nursing and teaching: no one wants to be paid peanuts for one of the hardest professions. I also wonder* if it’s due to the “women do these jobs a lot so pay them less lol”

As has been pointed out quite a lot, one thing Covid was actually good for, was pretty clearly showing what a lot of the most vital jobs for keeping a society going are and pretty much none of them were professions that paid or that were generally considered "respectable".

What does and doesn't pay in society is so often rear end backwards to how it should be.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

teen witch posted:

I don’t have any kids so no ponies in this race, but apparently trying to get daycare for kids is REALLY insane these days. Super expensive and very few slots.

*im not wondering, let’s be real.

My wife has worked in child care her whole life and it is the worst paying job you can have. They start the new employees out at 12 bucks an hour while the McDonalds is 14 bucks.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

E: nah this sucks too much

Dip Viscous fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 19, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Fan culture and stan culture has gotten shittier and people just seem to put up with it.

You're a professional music critic who gives the latest Taylor Swift album an 8/10 instead of the 10/10 her fans think it deserves? You're doxxed and your family now gets death threats for the next couple of weeks.

Put out a mildly critical tweet about a K-pop group? You won't post ever again and your employer will start being contacted about every past slip-up you ever had.

But hey that's just being online these days.

I know many fine academic anthropology studies have been done on "fan communities", the cute and isolated Trekkies inventing fan fiction in the 60s and so on, and I'm a media consumer like everyone else, but I've come around to the idea that "fan culture" or communities - that is, of media properties, not like hobbyists or whatever - might be enough of an overall social negative that I wish such things didn't exist. It's not that you shouldn't love a creative work on that interior personal level, but that surrounding yourself with others who feel the same creates some really nasty social dynamics within and without those groups.

Obviously I'm talking about the worst cases and not everybody who ever posted somewhere about Star Wars, but would our lives be that much less rich if we mostly just experience these things on a personal level? I'm conflicted about it. When I find a community of people who love something as much as me I end up put off by the kinds of personalities who dominate that kind of community. I don't know.

One day there'll be a ruthless paramilitary force dedicated to bringing about "Scatman's World" and we'll all see the light.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know more people who are mega fans of something and are totally normal, than those who make it every fiber of their being.

Nothing to do with franchises or whatever but I do find it weird that sports fans are seen as normal but, and I can’t believe I’m doing this, Swifties are seen as out of control. Are there some far gone Swifties? Totally, I can absolute attest to it. But there are sports fans who are just as bad, and you don’t associate hooliganism with Taylor Swift

Some people don’t want to fly their freak flag alone, some do. Let each person embrace it their own way, and as long as it doesn’t cause significant, irreversible harm*, who cares?

*Being annoyed, irritated, bored, clash of personality isn’t harm.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

teen witch posted:

I know more people who are mega fans of something and are totally normal, than those who make it every fiber of their being.

Nothing to do with franchises or whatever but I do find it weird that sports fans are seen as normal but, and I can’t believe I’m doing this, Swifties are seen as out of control. Are there some far gone Swifties? Totally, I can absolute attest to it. But there are sports fans who are just as bad, and you don’t associate hooliganism with Taylor Swift

Some people don’t want to fly their freak flag alone, some do. Let each person embrace it their own way, and as long as it doesn’t cause significant, irreversible harm*, who cares?

*Being annoyed, irritated, bored, clash of personality isn’t harm.

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see what a mob of Taylor Swift fans rioting would do now.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see what a mob of Taylor Swift fans rioting would do now.

Go to Anthropologie on Black Friday

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

https://twitter.com/rudyIopez/status/1680419022897045506

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Midsommar on a plane.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

teen witch posted:

Go to Anthropologie on Black Friday

I live in Canada, we don't have either of those things.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Beartaco posted:

The strip mall near me has signs up saying that if I want to use the parking there to visit any of the shops, I have to download their app and register my plate whenever I park up. This includes if I'm using their generous 30 minutes of free parking.

Just lol if they expect me to jump through a bunch of hoops for the privilege of spending money at their businesses, and an even bigger lol if they ever decide to give me an (unenforceable) ticket for not complying because it means I just won't go there any more.

I’ve literally never paid a private parking garage ticket in my life and keep waiting for the promised ding to my credit or inability to renew my license or registration and it has yet to come.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

With each passing day it gets harder and harder to get chatGPT to have any sort of discussion about goatse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I just found out if you turn off a new MacBook it will turn right back on if you press any keys or touch the track pad. So if you turn it off to clean the keyboard it will just turn right back on once you hit a key. After a bit of searching around there's no straightforward way to change this behavior and some people have written custom "keyboard cleaning" apps just to capture all keyboard and track pad inputs to get around this problem.

:lol: Apple.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

wash bucket posted:

I just found out if you turn off a new MacBook it will turn right back on if you press any keys or touch the track pad. So if you turn it off to clean the keyboard it will just turn right back on once you hit a key. After a bit of searching around there's no straightforward way to change this behavior and some people have written custom "keyboard cleaning" apps just to capture all keyboard and track pad inputs to get around this problem.

can you not just take the battery out while you clean it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hammerite posted:

can you not just take the battery out while you clean it

You're not gonna believe this...

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
You’re supposed to just chuck it in the garbage and buy a brand new one when it gets smudgy, duh

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

wash bucket posted:

I mean how much attention to detail are you expecting for a laptop that only costs $6000.

Macbooks could be their own sub-thread here. I bought a late 2015 model Macbook Pro in early 2017 for cheap-ish, my first and probably last. I have gotten a tremendous amount of use out of it, and it's still working and functions mostly as a teleconference-device now but I could do some production on it if I wanted, still going strong. Almost immediately after I bought it the next released model had the keyboard redesign that became like a 5-year parade of total dogshit, constant problems and cheap fixes and extended warranties and like, zero plan to actually fix the problem? Macbook went from having the best keyboard to the worst almost overnight but it took years of lovely revamps and pretending there wasn't a problem before they managed to fix it. Just go back to the good keyboard! Pay me as a consultant I'm apparently the only one who can figure that out!

By the point they were moving to M1 --> M2 I figured it might be time to look into replacing my aging laptop, but one look at the price and I decided my Macbook days were over. I spec'd out an ubuntu laptop with twice the RAM and actual SSD space and it was nearly half the price of an entry-level Macbook. gently caress off Apple with this horseshit.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mad Hamish posted:

At Dodger Stadium way back when N'sync was the headliner for KISS FM's concert, and the audience was a plurality of teen and preteen girls.

At every opportunity they were hyping N'sync, between sets, between songs, flyover with an N'sync banner, the works. At the end of the night they did half a song with Lenny Kravitz, one song by themselves, disappeared from stage for thirty minutes then all the lights went up and they said the concert was over.

That vibe of teen and tween girls about to burn down a stadium was absolutely surreal and I'm still amazed it didn't boil over.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

PJOmega posted:

At Dodger Stadium way back when N'sync was the headliner for KISS FM's concert, and the audience was a plurality of teen and preteen girls.

At every opportunity they were hyping N'sync, between sets, between songs, flyover with an N'sync banner, the works. At the end of the night they did half a song with Lenny Kravitz, one song by themselves, disappeared from stage for thirty minutes then all the lights went up and they said the concert was over.

That vibe of teen and tween girls about to burn down a stadium was absolutely surreal and I'm still amazed it didn't boil over.

I worked local load-out crew for an NSYNC show here in Albany once and I got to the arena like an hour before the show ended. The entire time, THE ENTIRE TIME, the crowd was just one gigantic 13 year old girl scream that never stopped for even a second.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 19, 2023

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Midsommar on a plane.

Imagine they all get into a plane crash but they all miraculously survive but are now stranded on a desert island with no cell phone reception and limited supplies

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wash bucket posted:

it's kind of dumb that any key can turn the laptop on (like, what if you have a stuck key or something?), but i don't see how that's a problem for cleaning. when i clean my windows or mac laptop keyboards, i don't turn it off, i just lock the screen or open a full screen empty text file to capture the keystrokes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are some pretty significant problems that can arise from running your electronics while cleaning them.

edit: You could also then just not use a liquid solution but it'd be far easier for all types of cleaner if the laptop could just be locked!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 20, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a damp cloth isn't going to fry a keyboard or trackpad unless it's sopping wet and dripping all over the place

mac keyboards are more likely to keel over from a single grain of sand getting in them than some moisture

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

CJacobs posted:

There are some pretty significant problems that can arise from running your electronics while cleaning them.

edit: You could also then just not use a liquid solution but it'd be far easier for all types of cleaner if the laptop could just be locked!

I don't think being able to lock the keyboard would allow you to dunk your laptop in soapy water without having issues.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

As has been pointed out quite a lot, one thing Covid was actually good for, was pretty clearly showing what a lot of the most vital jobs for keeping a society going are and pretty much none of them were professions that paid or that were generally considered "respectable".

What does and doesn't pay in society is so often rear end backwards to how it should be.

I saw one tweet that said "I got a letter that says my job is essential, and a paycheck that says it isn't"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Truniht posted:

Imagine they all get into a plane crash but they all miraculously survive but are now stranded on a desert island with no cell phone reception and limited supplies

The Lord of the Flies reboot is looking good!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wasn't there a Taylor Swift fan club leader who mysteriously disappeared one day and then resurfaced years later saying she had been in Israeli prison for refusing military service

The swifty leadership has revolutionary praxis, and is battle hardened by state repression

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Anybody else in here wear Accuvue Oasys contacts? Have yours become just utter garbage? I can barely get my 2-weeks out if a pair when they used to go a month if I was careful. Just shredding around the edges, little chunks floating in my eye. Fuckin bullshit. They're in a class action lawsuit for price fixing over a few year period right now, I wonder if they're losing big money for Bausch and Lomb.

Yes

I just got glasses instead of dealing with terrible contacts

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I was never able to get more than like 2 weeks out of those. Maybe I just have sensitive eyes or something.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My Youtube Home feed has turned into literally nothing but videos I have already watched beyond the first row. Sometimes going back as far as five years, but every video thumbnail has the full red bar across across the bottom. I think The Algorithm has given up on me.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Jawnycat posted:

My Youtube Home feed has turned into literally nothing but videos I have already watched beyond the first row. Sometimes going back as far as five years, but every video thumbnail has the full red bar across across the bottom. I think The Algorithm has given up on me.

I get a lot of this also and don't understand why Youtube would do it this way. What is the point of serving me a video I've already seen?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

YouTube has been recommending me the same ~45 videos for months now that I have no interest in watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Google/Youtube doesn't give a poo poo about serving up relevant content unless you are talking about ads.