Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Jaytan posted:

I fear it is merely because that’s a thing you just pulled out of your rear end with no basis in reality.

hmm yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Page 420 - "Weed" like to know why you "blazed" your game like this, Blizzard. Was it a "joint" effort?

Marijuana!

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I'm gonna slay some demons in the first season of the fourth diablo game cause it's fun to do s

kater
Nov 16, 2010

acumen posted:

I was pretty down on those cdr (sorc) nerfs but it didn't seem too bad at 59.

can't believe we have a dev doing across the board nerfs in 2023 though, when has that ever gone well?

Dev diff baby

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Page 420 - "Weed" like to know why you "blazed" your game like this, Blizzard. Was it a "joint" effort?

Marijuana!

:hmmyes:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

All-encompassing nerfs don't really bother me. What does it matter if players are only comfortably able to clear NM50s instead of NM70s? It's all the same poo poo. And vuln in particular needed nerfs. More than it received, really.

What does bother me is that this game has an astonishing number of skills, aspects, and uniques that are absolute garbage and basically nothing was done to address this. We're not talking the kind of minor differences that upset WoW players on the damage meters either. Bad skills may very well be 5% as effective as good ones.

I don't really know what Blizzard was thinking. Even if the blanket nerfs were necessary, there's obviously going to be huge pushback from the playerbase. You need to throw 'em a loving bone by having other things in the patch notes worth being excited for. But nah.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Marijuana!

what if they smoke weed at the fireside chat like some teens camping at camp crystal lake

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

lol that you can skip the campaign to get to grinding your allotted 7 dungeons of the season

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Floor is lava posted:

what if they smoke weed at the fireside chat like some teens camping at camp crystal lake

A certain slab of hardbody will come after them, blade in hand, as long as he's not still trapped in hell!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
they'd embarrass themselves, no way they can hit it as hard and long as Mr. Roberts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We need an Oops, all Butchers! event. Just replace every mob in a dungeon with the Butcher.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'll probably roll a seasonal character and play a couple hours and then give up. D3 Season Journey was pretty good because it gave you some mindless goals to easily achieve, let's bring that back one of these seasons.

^^^ Cursed Butcher Shrine

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Vargs posted:

What does it matter if players are only comfortably able to clear NM50s instead of NM70s? It's all the same poo poo.

what

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Vargs posted:

What does bother me is that this game has an astonishing number of skills, aspects, and uniques that are absolute garbage and basically nothing was done to address this. We're not talking the kind of minor differences that upset WoW players on the damage meters either. Bad skills may very well be 5% as effective as good ones.

I don't really know what Blizzard was thinking. Even if the blanket nerfs were necessary, there's obviously going to be huge pushback from the playerbase. You need to throw 'em a loving bone by having other things in the patch notes worth being excited for. But nah.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The issue isn’t that you had a handful of stuff that was powerful and felt good to play. It is there is so much that wasn’t. They should have buffed other stuff to make that viable. Instead they decided to nerf everything to make the game for most builds right now barely playable at best. It isn’t fixing the issues of itemization which has been there since the beta. It isn’t fixing all of the uniques that are basically worthless. It isn’t fixing the end game problems.

This isn’t a Diablo 3 level of gently caress up but they have thrown a lot of good will that was built up away. They need to pivot and quickly.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Floor is lava posted:

also can't wait for the worst podcast possible, aka the fireside chat, where people crinkle plastic wrappers, eat loudly in to the mic and try to force other people to eat poo poo on air knowing its a terrible idea

Someone post that right-before-they-got-told-the-camera-was-on shot from the last Friendly Joking Atmosphere fireside chat.

Vargs posted:

And vuln in particular needed nerfs.

What does bother me is that this game has an astonishing number of skills, aspects, and uniques that are absolute garbage and basically nothing was done to address this.

When all things are nerfed, all things are equally poo poo. Balance achieved!

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

The part with no basis in reality is the premise the campaign is the content that is supposed to get you to 50. If you just roll through that you will finish it in your mid 30s.

Also, you can just not check the box if you prefer to level that way.

It’s no where near the fastest, and a lot of people think it’s uninteresting to replay as resetting strongholds to level faster.

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 19, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The only way to fix vuln is to either eliminate it, or dump it in the additive damage bucket and then buff all that poo poo more

This will make everyone do nothing but stack crit instead because it will be the only multiplicative thing which they also don't want

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Time to kill monsters only go up. Number must soar

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Substandard posted:

The only way to fix vuln is to either eliminate it, or dump it in the additive damage bucket and then buff all that poo poo more

This will make everyone do nothing but stack crit instead because it will be the only multiplicative thing which they also don't want

They could make other multiplicative "buckets" they could also not make crit it's own bucket if they do that for vuln you're talking nonsense.

There are plenty of ways to fix it they just haven't done it (yet)

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

pork never goes bad posted:

Yeah I'm definitely here. Not mad about the nerfs, these days I'm rarely mad about nerfs frankly, but this is dispiriting.

Mayveena posted:

I don't understand. My level 45 character is being asked to do the Capstone? If she can't until 50 why are they bugging me about it?

Vulpes posted:

I was fine with all the patch note changes, but if this 50/70 level restriction for WT3/4 is true then I don't even know how to react to that. Don't gate content by grinding time you idiots, gate it by character power. If they're worried about boosting I'd rather they make the capstone dungeons solo-only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2btUuC0UsE

3min vid

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
im not a game designer but it seems like it'd be cool if different classes and buillds wanted different stats instead of everyone going for pretty much the same stuff

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
they're going to nerf the hell out of loot drops for season 1, too

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Pellisworth posted:

im not a game designer but it seems like it'd be cool if different classes and buillds wanted different stats instead of everyone going for pretty much the same stuff

crit/vuln is the only build inshallah

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

they're going to nerf the hell out of loot drops for season 1, too

Overworld nerfed, NMD/HT buffed. They're unfortunately going for quantity > quality though.
Lots of more dead affixes being moved from pants --> gloves for example (it seems). Lack of loot filter is probably gonna feel even worse.

Drop Rate Adjustments:
Increased bonus to drop Ancestral and Sacred items in Nightmare Dungeons from +5% to +10%.
Removed a 20% chance to drop an extra equipment item from Elite monsters outside of Nightmare Dungeons and Helltide.
Increased chance to drop an extra equipment item from Elite monsters in Nightmare Dungeons and Helltide by +10%.
Nightmare Dungeons now have a 50% chance to drop a 2nd Legendary item upon completion.
Nightmare Dungeons now give 3 rare items upon completion, up from 1.

Maxroll has a little bit better layout than the blizz notes since the abilities/skills/aspects etc are embedded. But some things you can't "Ctrl+F" unless all the little clicky tabs are expanded
https://maxroll.gg/d4/news/diablo-4-patch-1-1-0-for-season-1#item-affixes-header
https://maxroll.gg/d4/news/32-malignant-hearts-revealed-for-season-1

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

My level 75 HC sorc is still going strong despite Blizzard's best attempts to kill me at every turn.

Can't believe I have to wait until Season 2 to get functional resists.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Vargs posted:

Its the malignant hearts that we are supposed to be super horny about. they also kinda buffed some builds. I didnt read all class notes but since I plan to play Barb, I noticed they did try and buff the Rend build a bit. It likely won't be enough to make it a meta build though

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Vargs posted:

All-encompassing nerfs don't really bother me. What does it matter if players are only comfortably able to clear NM50s instead of NM70s? It's all the same poo poo. And vuln in particular needed nerfs. More than it received, really.

Literally every word of this. Nerfs are fine and it doesn't really matter to gameplay if everyone's at the at the nm50 wall or the nm70 wall because they play the same, as long as class balance is close enough that you can still group with your friends at endgame. The whining about nerfs is tiresome. You need to keep poo poo in line to make choice interesting.

However there's nothing exciting here at all.

Every class needs at least one more mechanically novel build that is enabled by a feature or unique or aspect or something, imo, per season. That's the baseline. Pick one core skill and one passive or something and give them a mechanically interesting drop that makes it as strong to build around as the previous meta and you have a season on your hands. Patch over some lagging build options and you have something really exciting.

I just don't think they're playtesting the game well and this was evident when they did a "big buff patch" that buffed sorc inferno by like 15% - a skill that's mechanically unusable and numerically undertuned by many fold. That felt like misdirection, not something that they would do if they had any vision of or handle on the balance, and now the big content patch is here and there's nothing to follow it up. It sucks to see a game with so much potential collapse out of the starting gate

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Marijuana!

A very good GGGC post, we are truly in the end times :)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Swilo posted:

Reading on the official forums that WT3 and WT4 now have minimum level requirements of 50 and 70 :allears:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/lvl-50-required-for-world-3-and-70-for-world-4-this-is-not-on-patch-note/89004

This better not be real

Most fun I had in d4 so far was getting into WT4 at lvl 58 and then actually fighting an uphill battle with exciting rewards

If I'm forced to grind mobs 5 levels below me until lvl 70 for gear that will instantly be replaced in WT4, I'll be a very sad boy

Are they literally just taking the challenge out of the midgame and instead replacing it with 'spend more time in purgatory for player metrics' ?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Vargs posted:

The big buff patch was ten percent damage on basic attacks that no one wants to use, they don't really know what's going on.

Like I said earlier it's fine to want to reduce the "necessity" of cdr, and bake in the CDR to base cooldowns and nerf the values. Instead they just nerf the values and make everything slower and more clunky.

Having to build every character around vuln and crit is pretty dumb, everyones stats end up pretty samey and itemization feels bad. I'm not sure anyone disagrees with that, yet the changes they made simultaneously don't actually change anything about the itemization and just make everyone weaker. This won't be fixed before an expansion, you can look at the aspects and uniques that were added in this season and see that they don't have a clue.

If you want build diversity you need ways to apply vuln with a wider array of skills unless you're going to remove the damage buckets altogether. You may be able to do something like make crit and vuln exclusive (ie. Cannot crit a vulnerable monster) and add some added benefit to vuln in lieu of this (double the length of cc and malus effects or some poo poo) and widen out people's gearing but its unlikely you'll get something like that right on the first try and agility seems quite low.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Mikojan posted:

This better not be real

fwiw i trust the 3 minute youtube video a few posts above over the blizzard forums post although actual patch notes would have been nice

Mikojan posted:

Are they literally just taking the challenge out of the midgame and instead replacing it with 'spend more time in purgatory for player metrics' ?

you know in your heart

if the youtube is right i dont think this is actually that bad. it tracks with their aim to reduce power levelling which is at least understandable if a bit frustrating but i dont think many people would actually be capabale of doing it too far under this threshold (please dont @ me with whatever level you did it at i dont care) but the overall vibe of the xp changes is likely going to feel like poo poo

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jul 19, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Blizzard isn't going to suddenly reverse course on this because Team D4 all come from MMOs where 10 minutes of casting magic missile at a boss is something to be praised. This is their actual vision for the game.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
That guy near the lava crack that 100% drops those gloves related to the cow level no longer drops those gloves 100% of the time.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Swilo posted:

Reading on the official forums that WT3 and WT4 now have minimum level requirements of 50 and 70 :allears:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/lvl-50-required-for-world-3-and-70-for-world-4-this-is-not-on-patch-note/89004

Most people can do the capstone at 65~68 ish with a decent build, making you level to 70 seems pointless? Especially since overworld enemies will be -5 levels so you HAVE to do your leveling in NMDs?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Took my lvl 100 WW barb for a quick spin in a 58 nmd and lol it feels so impotent and squishy now.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
ok I don't want to bring any negativity into the usually positive and fun D4 thread but this patch refuses to download above 1 MB/s and I'm ropeable. I had to check to make sure I didn't throttle my download speeds for the blizzard client or something

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Most people can do the capstone at 65~68 ish with a decent build, making you level to 70 seems pointless? Especially since overworld enemies will be -5 levels so you HAVE to do your leveling in NMDs?

Maybe this is a bad read but it feels like the devs reducing the renown grind and also making overworld and normal dungeons suck to the point that they aren't worth doing is a desperate attempt to tell higher ups that nm dungeons and helltide are great and successful because of how much time people spend in them compared to other activities.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

ok I don't want to bring any negativity into the usually positive and fun D4 thread but this patch refuses to download above 1 MB/s and I'm ropeable. I had to check to make sure I didn't throttle my download speeds for the blizzard client or something

I found pausing and restarting the patch would at least temporarily alleviate that issue

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
my rogue is getting absolutely obliterated by enemies that spawn electric poo poo (not the spinning ones). Just melted in an instant as 7 orbs crash into me, the towers pop up and my health immediately plummets, or a shaman raises his staff in the air and i die instantly to the guy standing next to me.

nm lv 62+, lvl 100, shitloads of defense and lifeleeching.

my armor dropped by ~1000 from the patch

not gonna lie, kinda sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I had the same problem, I have no idea what is happening

is it because we're in australia