Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Parkingtigers posted:

https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-abc-mcu-show

Ms Marvel is going to be the first D+ show to be aired on another TV platform. Seems... a good idea?

the airing schedule is... unique

quote:

Episodes 1-3 will air on Saturday, August 5, and Episodes 4-6 on Saturday, August 12. Each night, the series' three-episode block will start at 8:00 p.m. ET, running through to 11:00 p.m. ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

TIP posted:

so basically airing as two movies to hypothetically prep people for The Marvels

people who don't already have Disney+ but still care enough about Marvel to sit through two three-hour chunks of television

🤔

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Parkingtigers posted:

Ms Marvel is going to be the first D+ show to be aired on another TV platform. Seems... a good idea?

It's an odd schedule, but anything that gets more eyes on it seems like a good idea. Granted it might also be because they need more content with the strikes, as well. I wonder what else might make the jump?

Also on a related note, Iman Vellani's co-writing Ms. Marvel's new comic series.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 15, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parkingtigers posted:

They did air the first episode of The Mandalorian on ABC.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

TIP posted:

My stupid rear end read this as them airing Episode 5 in between Episodes 3 and 4. It's not the 90s anymore, dipshit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who is going to be watching TV that late on a Saturday? That is usually reserved for news shows.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I did get a little nostalgia kick at seeing the airings getting wrapped in the "Wonderful World of Disney" branding. Maybe they'll dig Michael Eisner out of mothballs to introduce it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Maybe they'll dig Michael Eisner out of mothballs to introduce it.
I saw him on the TV the other day apparently for some ESPN Mighty Ducks documentary

not sure Iger would be willing to bring him back for another "hullo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eIUg35c2xs

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's an odd schedule, but anything that gets more eyes on it seems like a good idea. Granted it might also be because they need more content with the strikes, as well. I wonder what else might make the jump?

Also on a related note, Iman Vellani's co-writing Ms. Marvel's new comic series.

That's cool. I've never heard of an actor having this level of input.

I like that a wider audience is able to see Ms. Marvel even it's promotion / thrown in there because of the writer's strike. The networks are no longer capable of doing it but there really needs to be a regular weekly series for Ms. Marvel.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The other two samples for the Super Skrull machine were an Asgardian Ice Beast that Thor killed on earth, and Cull Obsidian's arm from when it was cut off by that portal by Strange during Infinity War. Cull was the bruiser one of Thanos' henchmen, likely he stands in for The Thing's powers. Ice powers will be the containment/shield equivalent of the Invisible Woman's.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Yvonmukluk posted:

Absolute megafan dork levels, I love it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

duck trucker posted:

"Sup hey I'm the President. Listen, I want to go to Chernobyl with my extremely large and heavy suitcase get Air Force 1 ready. What? Uhhhh....This is to show I'm researching energy options for the country. Cancel all my meetings, and get the drat plane."

It's bryansk (or at least, Bryansk is the distance from Moscow to the south west that the show said)
Like it does matter that it's in Russia not Ukraine

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean they already replaced the Prime Minister of the UK, although she was not down with the plan

But there's no way it would be difficult at all to replace say, the President of Russia and the President of China or the US and just launch nukes.

Once you replace their security details, it would be simplicity itself.

That's what makes the whole thing so stupid.

Like why not replace both key turning guys in the sub rather than just one? There are a million Skrulls, loving replace the entire crew.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Brooks posted:

That's cool. I've never heard of an actor having this level of input.

Vellani may be the most famous, but she's not the first actor to write her own character in comics. Nicholas Brendon and Amber Benson have both written Buffy comics, and Camrus Johnson (Batwoman) and Nicole Maines (Supergirl) have done the job for DC - in Maines' case, writing her character's comic debut.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
my new theory:

Kang was a misdirect and/or being written out of phase 6.
The reason this show sucks rear end is because it had to be rewritten or reshot or recut reallll fast to set up a new ending where skrulls are the new big bad of phase 5 and phase 6.

gravik dies but the super skrulls are not all swept up. meaning any enhanced human in the MCU on screen after the finale of secret invasion could be a skrull

Thunderbolts and New World Order reshoots were to add skrulls to the plot

Kang Dynasty is turned into a proper secret invasion storyline where all the heroes could be skrulls and who is who?

secret wars still happens

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 17, 2023

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

my new theory:

The reason this show sucks rear end is because it had to be rewritten or reshot or recut reallll fast to set up a new ending where skrulls are the new big bad of phase 5 and phase 6.

gravik dies but the super skrulls are not all swept up. meaning any enhanced human in the MCU on screen after the finale of secret invasion could be a skrull

Kang Dynasty is turned into a proper secret invasion storyline where all the heroes could be skrulls and who is who?

Been saying this

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We did already have the Beyonder appear, so Secret Wars wouldn't be a stretch. But you kinda need the Fantastic Four and the splendor of von DOOM for that, since Victor is a kind of a big player in the first Secret Wars :shrug:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
616 Age of Ultron is an alternate future/time travel story. Nothing means anything.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

my new theory:

Ugh, count me out either way, Kang or Skrull. I don’t really see any appeal of endless shapeshift villains and having characters be secretly Skulls in their own movies so any character development is retroactively pointless.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
Skrull rhymes with dull

think about that

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Disney just put out a clip of Fury's wife and Talos' daughter fighting together but in their human form and on top of everything else, this show has done a poor job of explaining why Skrulls stay in human form all the time. These are two Skrulls getting attacked by presumably other Skrulls and they stay in human form? Even though we know there takes a certain amount of intent to stay in human form, based on Talos fading when he got hurt. This show feels so lazy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Olivia Coleman is a delight again but I’m glad this is almost over. Not hatewatching, too apathetic on this whole experience.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Episode 5 is up.

Best made episode so far, at least this one rattles along and things happen. Made me wish that Olivia Coleman was the lead, not Fury, because she's way better at being Nick Fury than Nick Fury right now.

Lol at Fury's wife going on about how the house provided privacy and security and then immediately some bad bastards turn up and show how easily this house, that doesn't even have bulletproof glass, can be found and penetrated. Luckily the first shots miss so they can have an action scene shooting... whoever it was that was attacking. (And just as I said earlier, of course she had guns in the house, so why Skrull Rhodey was sending her to pick up a gun was ridiculous.)

Lol also, the massive Skrull invasion threat is reduced down to being really just Gravik because his own dudes are turning against him because in a couple of episodes he went from having all the infiltrated world leaders bending the knee to some of his own dudes trying to off him with a hammer and a plastic bag. Could have used one of the guns they have, but sure make it slow and inefficient that's always a good plan.

Lol once again at Fury during a whole "yeah, we can't rely on superheroes" speech when it's a couple of years after them having brought back half the universe, and motherfucker you're the one that set up the Avengers to do such a thing. Come ON. And really, you're going to have three separate compartments in a tomb, one for a jacket, one for a pistol with a single clip of ammo, and one for JUST the eyepatch? You can't have that all in one pile?

And really, the US president is going to consider starting WWIII by an attack on Russia soil rather than just telling War Machine, who's standing right there, to suit up and take care of it quietly? Or calling in nu-Captain America to go sort it? It feels like this is exactly the kind of thing you send in a special persons team to do to avoid a war.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The Olivia Colman praise is everywhere people talk about this show, and I don't get it. She has had like 3 minutes of screen time prior to this episode (Just starting it now, so I have no clue if there's more here).

It's just not enough to think it's some standout performance, it feels like everyone is just saying it because that's what people are supposed to say because they like her.

Edit - Half the drat runtime of this show is the credits. Marvel needs to relax on their credits, holy poo poo.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 19, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Am I missing something or is Gravik's launch an airstrike on the building I am in plan not very smart.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I liked Olivia Colman shooting Vincent Van Gogh from Doctor Who.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Show still sucks. No surprise. Between recap, opening credits, and end credits it was like a 20 minute episode. Why didn't they just edit this to be a movie? It's going to have the same approximate runtime, anyways.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Skrull Rhodey's promise that the video of Nick Fury will be at the top of every news bulletin in 10 minutes is so dumb. I uh, think the news will be leading with the whole Presidential assassination attempt with shapeshifting aliens thing actually.

Right then is probably the single worst time for him to release it.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Deuce posted:

Show still sucks. No surprise. Between recap, opening credits, and end credits it was like a 20 minute episode. Why didn't they just edit this to be a movie? It's going to have the same approximate runtime, anyways.

would you have paid twenty bucks to see this?

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

La Louve Rouge posted:

would you have paid twenty bucks to see this?

I mean, Marvel apparently paid $250 per each of us that saw this.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So Beto and the rest of the non-Gravik Skrull commandos were just completely superfluous. You could just totally skip their scenes and not miss anything.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Parkingtigers posted:

Lol once again at Fury during a whole "yeah, we can't rely on superheroes" speech when it's a couple of years after them having brought back half the universe, and motherfucker you're the one that set up the Avengers to do such a thing. Come ON. And really, you're going to have three separate compartments in a tomb, one for a jacket, one for a pistol with a single clip of ammo, and one for JUST the eyepatch? You can't have that all in one pile?

Yea, let's not call on any of what, a dozen or so, either enhanced humans or aleins with superpowers to help out. The point is to prevent WWIII. Feel like that has to be in the top of the 'What situation do we need help' list. I think Fury is the last person i would want trying to prevent WWIII solo.

I cracked up as they kept opening up each compartment and it's just 1 thing in each. And lmao it's a single handgun and clip. Sure that's gong to be enough against a super skrull!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's also dumb because superheroes, almost by definition, don't wait to be asked before trying to help. It's an even bigger problem with Carol Danvers because she's actually relevant to the plot, but because she's so far above the conflict in power level they can't have her involved.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Haha, this show loving sucks.
I can't wait to say that in the past tense one week from now.

With the amount they apparently paid to make this thing, they definitely could have done a proper film, get a few more of the wider MCU cast to show up, throw in a few more Skrull surprises and had some actual OH gently caress WHAT WAIT PEPPER POTTS IS A SKRULL? SKRULLS HAVE CONTROL OF STARK TECH? or something like that but nah, Rhodey will do the job just fine, since our script doesn't actually have anything actually happening

And a show that is thin on plot beats can be fine and even great, if the character moments between plot beats are worth a drat, which they're not!

Sockser fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2023

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Show continues to slightly improve, but only slightly, with a bit more plot momentum and action that, while not great, is at least noticeably better than the lethargic shootout from the end of last episode. At least Olivia Colman is having fun here and is probably the highlight of this episode, though Sonya isn't exactly a role that's stretching her abilities as an actor.

Fury's "we don't need superheroes" speech was complete nonsense, and Gravik's plan doesn't make much sense - why would he want New Skrullos destroyed? at least they worked in a cameo from that one guy nobody remembered or cared about from Black Widow once they realized he wasn't playing Taskmaster

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Barry Convex posted:

why would he want New Skrullos destroyed?

He doesn't, the show does explain multiple times that it's a feint. Gravik is banking on the fact that Fury won't let all the innocent Skrulls there die to get the Avenger DNA he wants.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hipster Occultist posted:

He doesn't, the show does explain multiple times that it's a feint. Gravik is banking on the fact that Fury won't let all the innocent Skrulls there die to get the Avenger DNA he wants.

to be fair I was watching this episode way too early in the morning due to having trouble sleeping, but I'll mainly chalk that up to my not caring that much about the plot

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hipster Occultist posted:

He's also betting that Rhodey can get the airstrike called off which seems like a gamble. If the show was better written Gravik might use a successful strike as leverage to convince other Skrulls of the need to fight but I don't think that's what we're getting.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gonz posted:

I liked Olivia Colman shooting Vincent Van Gogh from Doctor Who.

It's much more impressive that she shot Datak Tarr from Defiance as well as Jaime Moriarty's baby daddy from Elementary..

Which means that Stahma will have her vengeance. Which makes me really want to see Jaime Murray in the MCU.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
If your goal is to prevent WW3, there is no reason for Fury to not kill Rhodey Skrull. One bullet and the US will have to step back and realized that they are compromised too. I don't get it.