Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I mean i kinda get why they did it because belgium but it's funny that they aren't lumped in with dutch and french respectively when all the other weird language cousins get shoved into their bigger groupings
You got a point there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Walloon is a separate near-dead langue ‘oïl, but then, they didn’t split out any other french minorities, not even the langues d’oc

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

One of the lesser known provisions of the treaty of london is that any map did not recognize both languages would require immediate declaration of war on the map maker by the british crown.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I mean i kinda get why they did it because belgium but it's funny that they aren't lumped in with dutch and french respectively when all the other weird language cousins get shoved into their bigger groupings

Correct, in a strict linguistic sense Flemish only refers to the dialects historically present in the western two provinces of modern-day Flanders. There's no such thing as a separate, standardized 'Flemish' language spoken across Flanders, at most it means the motley collection of Dutch dialects that happened to be spoken here when the border was first arbitrarily established in the sixteenth century. To be sure, after such a long time there are obviously certain words and expressions that are considered typically Flemish, but it's still historically and linguistically inaccurate to consider Flemish a language in its own right. Even politically there has never been any desire to break away from Dutch, as (regardless of ideology) everyone in the past understood that that would have been a bad idea in the face of immense sociological pressure from French.

Wallonia is an interesting case since Walloon actually was historically spoken across most of its modern territory, but even that was never absolute; there is a traditionally Picard-speaking area around the city of Mons in the far west. Of course it's all moot, since Standard French has completely supplanted both dialect groups by now.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

What gets grouped with Dutch? I feel like Frisian and limburgish have always been recognized as their own thing.

Edit: I wrote this before seeing the above post lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Charoclere posted:

I think my favourite Stalin apologia came from the tankie who once insisted to me that the Polish government evacuated Warsaw, therefore the Polish government abdicated, therefore the Polish state ceased to exist, therefore Poland was unoccupied space, therefore the USSR hadn't actually invaded anywhere at all.

It’s the “Bismarck was scuttled, not sunk” line, but with the whole country of Poland.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

To be sure, after such a long time there are obviously certain words and expressions that are considered typically Flemish, but it's still historically and linguistically inaccurate to consider Flemish a language in its own right.

This is a good post, and I just want to add that the thing about words and expressions of certain regions exist in pretty much all languages. I'm sure you can think of Texas phrases, Liverpool phrases and so forth, and even in Danish, as a Copenhagener, I would never refer to downtown as "midtbyen", which is very common in at least Jutland, possibly everywhere but Copenhagen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK used to have loads of those all over the place, less so in the last century with the homogenising effect of media, but still some kicking about.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Starks posted:

What gets grouped with Dutch? I feel like Frisian and limburgish have always been recognized as their own thing.

Edit: I wrote this before seeing the above post lol

The map I posted included Frisian for completion's sake, but you're absolutely right that it should be viewed as a separate language as it belongs to a wholly different branch of the West Germanic languages (being close to English).

As for Limburgish, it is in fact considered to belong to the Low Franconian group, along with most of the other dialects in Flanders and the Netherlands:

Of course, you'll notice that Low Franconian historically extends into Germany, that there are also other dialect groups spoken in the Netherlands, and more generally that the border between the Netherlands and Germany used to be linguistically arbitrary. The current clear distinction between Dutch and German only arose after centuries of divergence and standardization.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"Why is Alabama so good?" being the top result for Alabama has to be the Governor just having his interns and staff google that phrase over and over all day.

Could also be a bunch of country music likers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interesting hoi4 peace deal.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hearts of Akron

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Spazzle posted:

Stalin just didn't want miss out on investing in Eastern Poland.

:hmmyes:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A research paper on overly-threatening map visualizations of immigration.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/org/science/article/pii/S1745010122002569

And then some less-threatening maps.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Octopus maps!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The Greeks heard that the Turks abused this guy's group and were nice just out of pure contrarianism.
This is the pro way to navigate the Balkans as a refugee.

Serbia: Get the gently caress out of my country.
Refugee: Oh man, those Albanians were really mean to me.
Serbia: Would you like to come over tonight for dinner? The wife is making something special. You guys like cigars?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/org/science/article/pii/S1745010122002569

And then some less-threatening maps.

Portugal não é um país europeu.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the idea that "not specified" means you just emerge from the sea like a deep one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary (2002, dir. Guy Maddin)

A Silent ballet adaptation of Dracula in which Dracula is played by an Asian actor and really leans into the "mysterious Eastern man taking our wimmen!" reading of the story.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 19, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

This is just a penis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You need a doctor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

I like the idea that "not specified" means you just emerge from the sea like a deep one.
"Boat people" are just the "sea peoples" of today.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary (2002, dir. Guy Maddin)

A Silent ballet adaptation of Dracula in which Dracula is played by an Asian actor and really leans into the "mysterious Eastern man taking our wimmen!" reading of the story.

drat that sounds pretentious as poo poo lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Given the growing disparity between people able to afford a decent meal in Western and Southeastern Europe there might be a good practical case to lure people from the west and eat them.

:yum:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Armacham posted:

Oh no they made gothic romance pretentious :ohdear:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Guavanaut posted:

Given the growing disparity between people able to afford a decent meal in Western and Southeastern Europe there might be a good practical case to lure people from the west and eat them.

:yum:

What is their definition of a vegetarian equivalent? Beans? beyond meat?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a definition used in the severe material and social deprivation rate statistics, but they don't go much further than an implication of what you'd eat if you don't eat meat or fish. So like paneer or Luxembourgers.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Correct, in a strict linguistic sense Flemish only refers to the dialects historically present in the western two provinces of modern-day Flanders. There's no such thing as a separate, standardized 'Flemish' language spoken across Flanders, at most it means the motley collection of Dutch dialects that happened to be spoken here when the border was first arbitrarily established in the sixteenth century. To be sure, after such a long time there are obviously certain words and expressions that are considered typically Flemish, but it's still historically and linguistically inaccurate to consider Flemish a language in its own right. Even politically there has never been any desire to break away from Dutch, as (regardless of ideology) everyone in the past understood that that would have been a bad idea in the face of immense sociological pressure from French.

Wallonia is an interesting case since Walloon actually was historically spoken across most of its modern territory, but even that was never absolute; there is a traditionally Picard-speaking area around the city of Mons in the far west. Of course it's all moot, since Standard French has completely supplanted both dialect groups by now.

This is a good post, and I'd like to add that people who insist Flemish is a language are either uneducated about ^ or are Flemish nationalists with an axe to grind, never mind the facts.

I should also add that when Belgium became independent, there was some initial debate among cultural and literary heavyweights in Flanders whether to follow Dutch as a standardised language or whether to develop an own Flemish standard language. The former group won out for the reasons Phlegmish has outlined in his post.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I actually wouldn't say it's particularly related to nationalism, as far as I know there are no organizations or prominent individuals within the Flemish Movement that promote the creation of Flemish as a separate language. I've basically never seen it come up in that context. Your comment about the uneducated is spot-on, though. It's semi-common to hear working-class people talk about how immigrants should 'speak Flemish' or whatever. But even then, it's just part of a specific colloquial speech pattern, and not indicative of any deep ideological conviction. Essentially, nearly everyone in Flanders who's ever given the matter any thought agrees that our language is Dutch.

Given that fact, I've always marveled at how many foreigners are somehow convinced that we speak Flemish, even though all of the official sources mention Dutch exclusively. The map that was posted earlier is just one example. You don't see the same thing happening with e.g. Austrian. Why is that? I wonder if it's due to the influence of French. Francophones, especially within Belgium itself, had (and have) a habit of systematically referring to Belgian Dutch as flamand, reflecting a certain cultural attitude on their part. That might have seeped through into other languages.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Don't underestimate how often people believe that it's one country with one language, completely uniform throughout. Like, in Finnish, names for countries and their associated languages are the same word (so Tanska means both Danish and Denmark). It's one of those things that Just Make Sense, especially if you're from one of the cool countries that have an associated language (even if they also have minority languages).

Also not really relevant, but the distinction between regional variation, dialect and language is super fuzzy. Less so in modern Europe because of nationalism, broadcasting and general mobility, but as a general rule. For example, I was once teaching a Danish class with two Indians (speaking some kind of Hindi) and a Nepalese guy. One Indian could easily understand both Nepali and the other Indian, but the Nepali guy and the second Indian couldn't understand each other at all. It was kinda neat honestly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Press een for Belgian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

Don't underestimate how often people believe that it's one country with one language, completely uniform throughout. Like, in Finnish, names for countries and their associated languages are the same word (so Tanska means both Danish and Denmark). It's one of those things that Just Make Sense, especially if you're from one of the cool countries that have an associated language (even if they also have minority languages).

Also not really relevant, but the distinction between regional variation, dialect and language is super fuzzy. Less so in modern Europe because of nationalism, broadcasting and general mobility, but as a general rule. For example, I was once teaching a Danish class with two Indians (speaking some kind of Hindi) and a Nepalese guy. One Indian could easily understand both Nepali and the other Indian, but the Nepali guy and the second Indian couldn't understand each other at all. It was kinda neat honestly.

The linguistic situation on the Indian subcontinent is pretty interesting. I watched a video on the relationship between Hindi and Urdu a while back. They're extremely similar but use completely different writing systems, which raises the question of whether or not they should be considered separate languages. As you say, often there is no objective answer.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

The linguistic situation on the Indian subcontinent is pretty interesting. I watched a video on the relationship between Hindi and Urdu a while back. They're extremely similar but use completely different writing systems, which raises the question of whether or not they should be considered separate languages. As you say, often there is no objective answer.

I also had a (second generation emigrant!) Pakistani co-worker (different job, dude was an economist) once, who gave zero shits about Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi being different languages and watched a ton of Bollywood films. Probably not the most complex dialogue, but still.

The linguistic situation in India is super interesting, but also there's a lot of unfun nationalism going on trying to remove the interesting parts. I don't know much of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it's not entirely unlike what the French have done.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

I also had a (second generation emigrant!) Pakistani co-worker (different job, dude was an economist) once, who gave zero shits about Urdu/Hindi/Punjabi being different languages and watched a ton of Bollywood films. Probably not the most complex dialogue, but still.

The linguistic situation in India is super interesting, but also there's a lot of unfun nationalism going on trying to remove the interesting parts. I don't know much of the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it's not entirely unlike what the French have done.

India’s situation is vastly more divergent than some brother latin languages, we’re talking whole unrelated groups, eg hindi is closer to portuguese than to tamil. I don’t think you could do what France did

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Unless "what France did" means "act very lovely to Muslims". BJP can do that one.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

India’s situation is vastly more divergent than some brother latin languages, we’re talking whole unrelated groups, eg hindi is closer to portuguese than to tamil. I don’t think you could do what France did

Eh, you don't have to have related languages to exterminate them, just teach the speakers Hindi (to do anything official) and gently stop allowing minority languages in schools, public workplaces and so on. Think what the English did in Ireland, even if english and Irish Celtic are technically related.

It's gonna take time and effort, but my impression is that the current Indian government is willing to put in the work.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It seems to me that Urdu and Hindi have a very Serbian-Croatian type of situation going on, with different writing systems but almost same grammar and similar vocabulary. And the pogroms, let us not forget about the pogroms. Also the probability of being stabbed if you say it’s the same language.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's semi-common to hear working-class people talk about how immigrants should 'speak Flemish' or whatever.

The "This is America you need to speak American" of Europe.

Guavanaut posted:

Unless "what France did" means "act very lovely to Muslims". BJP can do that one.

France is pretty good at that too but not quite BJP levels despite their best efforts. Madame Le Pen and Monsieur Zemmour are certainly willing to give it their best shot.

BonHair posted:

Eh, you don't have to have related languages to exterminate them, just teach the speakers Hindi (to do anything official) and gently stop allowing minority languages in schools, public workplaces and so on. Think what the English did in Ireland, even if english and Irish are technically related.

It's gonna take time and effort, but my impression is that the current Indian government is willing to put in the work.

Fixed a bit for you. Celtic is a language group and Irish is just one of them. There are two subgroups, the Goidelic languages, Irish, Scots Gaelic and Manx and the Brittonic languages, Welsh, Cornish and Breton. At least the ones that aren't entirely dead and I'm being extremely generous to Cornish and Manx with that.

The languages in India are much more different than English and Irish. They're both part of the larger Indo-European family. The only languages in Europe that aren't are Basque (isolate) Finnish, Estonian, Hungarian and Samí (Uralic) and Maltese (Semitic). The Indian languages they're talking about are in completely different families, like Scots Gaelic and Arabic or Finnish and Berber. That said, Scandinavia sure has done a great job trying to suppress Samí and both the French and Spanish have done their damndest to kill Basque as well. They've done a lot of work but all this pesky nonsense about "human rights" and such took the bite out of it, although for many of their minority languages the damage is done and all they need is benign neglect to finish the job. India is less concerned with those things so I'm sure they could accomplish it, given the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Armacham posted:

It's Guy Maddin, buddy.