Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

It works fine in DBZ because DBZ isn't flirting with making any kind of serious societal commentary and operates on the "are you, at this moment, actively trying to kill the protagonists and/or their families? no? okay you're good" system of morality.

Even then they're way worse at making new friends than Kirby is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not really sure what argument people are making about Toga here. The story already said she is going to face consequences, just that she now has someone on her side who is going to try to help her.

What exactly do you think should happen if someone surrenders and admits they were wrong and there is a genuine expression of wanting to be helped?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ImpAtom posted:

I am not really sure what argument people are making about Toga here. The story already said she is going to face consequences, just that she now has someone on her side who is going to try to help her.

What exactly do you think should happen if someone surrenders and admits they were wrong and there is a genuine expression of wanting to be helped?
Three full tanks and a bonus OAV about their political re-education and stern self criticism. We can then return to the primary fight with the aid of Toga's prize winning blood oranges.

Bakugo will remain dead

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

It's not (exactly) about what happens to Toga, she's just the poster child for the argument that Society Created These Monsters. And now, after a revolution leveled several cities and the evil fried potato man is put down....

No lessons are learned and nothing will change. The only reason Toga isn't going to Super Jail is because it got knocked down, and that can be fixed with a half page featuring pro-hero Cementoss. Plus, quirks are still getting stronger. Fifteen years from now, when Toga and Uraraka's beautiful daughter gets the quirk that makes her weird about spinal fluid, we're going to see the same problems again.

Nessus posted:

Bakugo will remain dead

We're one month out from his deathiversary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Vegeta, evil murderer but good dad. The anti-Endeavor.

Ehhhh... with Future Trunks in Super, maybe. I don't really remember him spending too much time with his Trunks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Ehhhh... with Future Trunks in Super, maybe. I don't really remember him spending too much time with his Trunks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9WDeud275U

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yep the amusement park he took trunks to after hitting him out of anger and left midway through while pouting the whole time

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

https://twitter.com/RukasuMHA/status/1679734178768736257/photo/1

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

No lessons are learned and nothing will change. The only reason Toga isn't going to Super Jail is because it got knocked down, and that can be fixed with a half page featuring pro-hero Cementoss. Plus, quirks are still getting stronger. Fifteen years from now, when Toga and Uraraka's beautiful daughter gets the quirk that makes her weird about spinal fluid, we're going to see the same problems again.

this sort of seems like a judgement you'd cant make until the end of the comic

not saying its going to actually make good on it, but it hasn't even gotten to the parts where it could (almost certainly) fail to do so lol

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Repost from Space Battles

OmegaShark31, post: 94001440, member: 413968 posted:

Leaks are here…

Chapter 395: What Lies Beyond my Happiness

The chapter begins with all the clones vanishing. We see that they were heading towards the Todoroki family, Iida and Hawks. One of the clones had his knife pointed at Hawks, but it vanishes and Hawks says "Bubaigawa was a really nice guy, right, Himiko Toga?"

A narration from Toga then begins, saying that her knife is something that allows her to become who she loves, so she shouldn't have held it with hate in her heart. We see Toga standing next to Ochako, who's lying on the ground. She has her mask thing on her hand.

Toga is panting and starts to feel a lot of pain, it's a consequence of using her quirk. She realizes that Ochako is so exhausted because she didn't release her awakened quirk until all the heroes were back to the ground, she really didn't want to hurt anyone.

Ochako knows she has lost a lot of blood and cannot move a finger. Toga looks around her and see all the people who got hurt because of her and, at the same time, she remembers Ochako's sweet words. She knows that the blood loss is also her fault, for stabbing Ochako.

She tells Ochako that the LOV wanted to destroy everything and what would rise after that would be a world that's easier to live in. But she was so happy with what Ochako said that now she can't allow a world without her to exist. Toga drinks Ochako's blood and transforms.

"My feelings are genuine, so I will give you all of my blood". She puts the syringe in both their arms and starts the transfusion. Ochako feels her body heating up, but she knows what will happen if things continue like this...

Toga says that Jin did the same thing in MVA, using a clone of her to perform a blood transfusion. She no longer has Twice's blood to make new clones, that's why she turned into Ochako. Uraraka tells her to stop, but Toga starts stitching up the wound on Ochako's stomach.

Toga says that Ochako actually seems willing to keep taking her blood for her to drink. She could very well have just "acted like a hero" and killed the crazy villain, but she decided to give help that wasn't asked for and saved the one who hurt her friends.

Toga says that Ochako really is weird. Ochako replies that she's the weird one for doing this transfusion, but Toga says that she will always live the way she wants to. That's why she won't let herself be arrested, even if it's on Ochako's terms.

Toga apologizes for the stabbing and for yelling at her. She says that Toya burned down the house that forced her to be normal, and that made her happy. But even though the house is gone, the wounds in her heart weren't. And Ochako recognized that Toga's pain was real.

Even though it wasn't the easiest way, Ochako managed to touch Toga's heart and that made her feel lighter inside. "Thank you so much, Ochako-chan. I was so, so happy." The blood continues to be transferred, Ochako starts to cry shouting "Himiko-chan!" and Toga smiles.

Toga's narration continues, with her saying that she drank people's blood with a mix of love and envy. But if she was loved back earlier, she could have also given her blood to many people. And if that happened, the world would be a slightly easier place to live in.

We see an image of Toga letting a little bird fly and looking up at the sky as she smiles. "But still, I am Himiko Toga. I lived the way I wanted to and was a normal girl, with the cutest smile in the whole world!". The two are lying on the ground, end of chapter.

Break next week, along with some other jump titles.

And some upcoming info regarding the anime.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1681522198362636288

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This loving sucks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

lol

I don't know why I expected anything else.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
What, a redemption story in a superhero/supervillain plotline? That never happens.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CommieGIR posted:

What, a redemption story in a superhero/supervillain plotline? That never happens.

I think they're referring to Toga apparently dying, given Uraraka's distress and Toga's usage of past tense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CommieGIR posted:

Love to queerbait then literally immediately bury the gay away.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kanos posted:

I think they're referring to Toga apparently dying, given Uraraka's distress and Toga's usage of past tense.

Ah that makes sense.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Love to queerbait then literally immediately bury the gay away.

The forbidden yuri/GL will fuel the internet for decades to come

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 19, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have a feeling they aren't gonna have that play out the way people are thinking

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Fabricated posted:

I have a feeling they aren't gonna have that play out the way people are thinking

Yeah same

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi didn't even seem to be able to commit to having Dabi die after he literally reduced himself to a smoldering skeleton. He's almost certainly not going to have Toga die giving Ochako way more blood than she needs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Horikoshi didn't even seem to be able to commit to having Dabi die after he literally reduced himself to a smoldering skeleton. He's almost certainly not going to have Toga die giving Ochako way more blood than she needs.

I concur with this, but I have to admit that it would be absolutely hilarious for Dabi to explode himself into a flaming skeleton several times and still manage to not die but for Toga to somehow manage to kill herself with a blood transfusion.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'm gonna try the bulk of this thread at the hague for crimes against reading children's comics

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Looper posted:

I'm gonna try the bulk of this thread at the hague for crimes against reading children's comics

Anime/Manga in general.txt

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It would be incredibly stupid if Shiggy survives and gets to atone for his past misdeeds when he kills more people in one arc than the rest of the League probably have combined (aside from maybe Twice), while Toga just dies to avoid dealing with the fallout of her actions.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

From the leaked images, if this is a fake-out death it's a really drat convincing one.

There's no way Shigaraki survives though. For a while I thought they could just de-quirk him but now that he has All Might level strength, speed and the uncanny ability to poo poo out hands from every orifice he's just way too overpowered to be left alive. He's also completely unrepentant and doesn't have mental instability as an excuse like Toga. I would have bet the house on him making the sacrifice play but if Toga has beat him to it I have no clue now.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I really thing Toga is going to get away by Ochako giving her blood to "hide" after all this ends. I don't see her ending up in prison.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Loving people losing their minds over the similarities between this death and Bakugo's death, down to same-angle panels and framing

Can't wait for the scans and officials to get a better look at it

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
do it hori

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It would be better if she was faking her death to avoid going to prison, but we'll have to wait to see

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7443/my-hero-academia-chapter-395?date=21-7-2023-1

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Endeavor is absolutely trashed, good god

Whoops

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

doomrider7 posted:

Repost from Space Battles

loling at the people who were like “no way these leaks are real, it’s too stupid”

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

loling at the people who were like “no way these leaks are real, it’s too stupid”

they were too stupid not to be!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Toga's killed too many people for a last-minute redemption and surrender to feel appropriate so narratively this is the safest way for her character arc to end, but by god it would've been hilarious if she had instead survived to be Ochako's prison gf she visits to donate blood to

would've been dumb as hell but also brave and actually memorable

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Man, Toga would've been a great medical hero, but society failed in nurturing that and she's not sticking around to partake in it after they skip forward past all the restructuring of the hero system

Right, so, what's the over-under on her surviving thanks to the power of offscreenland once the viewpoint switches again?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Runa posted:

Toga's killed too many people for a last-minute redemption and surrender to feel appropriate so narratively this is the safest way for her character arc to end, but by god it would've been hilarious if she had instead survived to be Ochako's prison gf she visits to donate blood to

would've been dumb as hell but also brave and actually memorable

Those are just two of the three ways it ends. The other is that she lives somehow, but "sort of died" and that along with "societies failure to accept and accomodate her quirk(not necessarily untrue, but her actions go WAAAAY beyond acceptable response)" leads to her getting a reduced sentence like probation if not full acquittal. This is the TRUE maximum stupidest loving possible course of action and thus most likely in my opinion.

Edit: I do find it super off-putting in an "Obito was the coolest guy/Thank you Eren" kind of way how some people treat this arc/fight whatever you wanna call it as some incredibly deep and profound thing and those who don't like it are "just not mature enough to understand it" or lack empathy or some other poo poo.

Edit: Actually, Obito and Eren have been brought up as better examples so I'll go with those.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 21, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

gotta say the selection of the most cowardly possible ending here does not bode well for what is left to come. this was lame enough that "status quo reasserted, some edges filed off" feels like a dead lock for the ending, but also coherent enough that I can't expect we'll get anything truly zany like "we turned shigaraki into a baby so he can get raised right this time" or memorably dumb like "thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMzg2X18rm0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Right, so, what's the over-under on her surviving thanks to the power of offscreenland once the viewpoint switches again?

Well, we have spent a good amount of the thread making unhappy remarks about Hori's treatment of female characters recently, so I'm not optimistic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah, I really think the ending of Toga's arc and Ochako's arc of wanting to be a real hero is going to end with Toga's corpse draped over Ochako. Are you kidding me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, I really think the ending of Toga's arc and Ochako's arc of wanting to be a real hero is going to end with Toga's corpse draped over Ochako. Are you kidding me?

You're right that it would be pretty stupid, but this manga does have a pretty established bad habit of pointlessly killing female characters and an equally established bad habit of completely fumbling major plot arcs. Remember when the resolution to the mutant racism arc was "people are nicer to mutants now so you're just making it worse, go home" and then all the angry mutants bashfully dispersed?

So while I think this is probably a fakeout, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't.