Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Dazerbeams posted:

Why must I imagine hearing my son crying long after he’s stopped?

Sleep deprivation is what did it for me. I used to think I could hear our daughter crying while taking a shower.

little gal is only 20 months so we're not exactly rushing to get her potty trained but we've been doing things like showing her the toilet and telling her about it, now she walks up to it and pats it like a used car salesman patting the trunk of a car. wait she does that to me too oh no

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I bought a Kanoodle thanks to TikTok and Toddler is having a ton of fun solving the easy puzzles with me.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my son is currently obsessed with being a cricket, which to him means saying "im a cricket" and crawling around making weird noises

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I pick up my sons and hug them when they need me to let them know everything will be OK. I want a 13 foot tall person to pick me up and tell me everything will be OK.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

my son is currently obsessed with being a cricket, which to him means saying "im a cricket" and crawling around making weird noises

Sick

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

2DEG posted:

OH BOY, taking my already terrified of doctors 5yo to the ENT next week because he's snoring like a bear and having goddamn apnea episodes at night. Took a peek and his tonsils are loving huge, practically touching. It's been a couple of weeks and no change, so oh boy tonsillectomy here we come, probably.

Hey kid-with-big-tonsils Haver! Hope the appointment goes well for them. Did they have any day symptoms like excess drowsiness or avoiding rigid foods?

About a year ago my 4yo’s dentist was like, “woah he has big tonsils” and gave us the run down of signs of apnea. He doesn’t seem to have any except he tossed and turns through most of the night, and the doc seemed a bit surprised, so I’m nervous I’m missing something…but I end up in his bed most nights and he isn’t snoring and don’t think he has episodes so guess I just gotta be on the lookout for if he grows into them or something changes

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hello my kid had his tonsils out last year. I posted pretty negatively about it because putting a 3 year old through all that medical poo poo is scary and upsetting. But overall he was a champ through the whole process and his life improved quite a bit from it.

I mean he still sleeps like poo poo but that's because he needs to be constantly touching someone since he's needy as hell and a pain in my rear end. But he's not snoring anymore!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nachos posted:

Ah, Nate Silver disease

Kinda the opposite to Nate Silver really.

Nate thinks that he can sus out and correct for systematic biases in low quality data to enable the use of all available data, Oster seems to think that she can look at a set of data sources and crown some as substantially bias-free after carefully examining the study criteria.

That strategy works OK-ish when there is a LOT of peer review research to choose from and the complicating factors are obvious enough that a non-expert can spot and understand them like with the potty training data. It is pure economist-brain to try and use the same strategy on the firehose of pre-print and un-vetted data that was coming out during Covid, and pure economist-ego to triple-down and go on a data cherry picking spree when criticized by experts in the field.

To this day I'm not sure if she has owned up to the fact that not only was she not right, she about as close to being completely wrong as you can get since schools were huge contributors to community spread. Probably not since doing so would require her to admit to herself that her activities contributed to the deaths of a couple hundred thousand people.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Renegret posted:

Hello my kid had his tonsils out last year. I posted pretty negatively about it because putting a 3 year old through all that medical poo poo is scary and upsetting. But overall he was a champ through the whole process and his life improved quite a bit from it.

I mean he still sleeps like poo poo but that's because he needs to be constantly touching someone since he's needy as hell and a pain in my rear end. But he's not snoring anymore!

Oh god, I remember your pics from the sleep study now. Considering I have to straightjacket hold my kid when the doc wants to so much as check his ears, the thought of him undergoing a sleep study is :rubby: Was the overnight stay because of his age? I was under the impression most tonsillectomies are outpatient.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We stayed overnight for a 5yo tonsil + adenoidectomy and I think they said it's because of the risk of bleeding. It was a loving shitshow when we got him home and I had to wake up every 3 hours to give him alternating doses of painkillers or else he'd wake up screaming and hysterical when it wore off and refused to take the drat medicine. His pain management experience is not typical though from what I've heard.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This kid can play the piano

But she can't open the cap on the mustard

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

This kid can play the piano

But she can't open the cap on the mustard

Life is hard

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

KirbyKhan posted:

Life is hard

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How should I be dealing with oatmeal and clothes? I’m worried about bits of oatmeal drying then not coming off in the wash. We went ahead and soaked his first batch after his first feeding but I’d like to hear other’s experience with how best to deal with oatmeal.

In good news he happily ate the oatmeal! Our spoon was plastic and the oatmeal slipped right off, gonna have to get a different material. But he finished his tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with some of his milk.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Eeyo posted:

How should I be dealing with oatmeal and clothes? I’m worried about bits of oatmeal drying then not coming off in the wash. We went ahead and soaked his first batch after his first feeding but I’d like to hear other’s experience with how best to deal with oatmeal.

In good news he happily ate the oatmeal! Our spoon was plastic and the oatmeal slipped right off, gonna have to get a different material. But he finished his tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with some of his milk.

I think our washer always took it off, but at that age the kid outgrew the clothes so fast it didn’t really matter what happened to them. He kinda just wore stained onesies for another 3-4 months until he made it to the next size.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Eeyo posted:

Try adding a teaspoon of borax to the wash, mixed with a cup of water beforehand. Learn of the magic of borax, go forth be happy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

2DEG posted:

Oh god, I remember your pics from the sleep study now. Considering I have to straightjacket hold my kid when the doc wants to so much as check his ears, the thought of him undergoing a sleep study is :rubby: Was the overnight stay because of his age? I was under the impression most tonsillectomies are outpatient.

The overnight stay was just to monitor his sleep apnea. It wasn't another full on sleep study, just monitoring his O2 saturation and keeping an eye on his breathing.

It wasn't worth it. Yes most kids go home same day and we wish we did too. His snoring got significantly better so his ENT said, no follow up sleep study, don't bother suffering through it.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I think we have finally rounded the corner of having our 2.5yo say "Pizza" instead of "Pipi." Which is good since we're supposed to go to a party at Chuck E. Cheese soon.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Eeyo posted:

That dreft stain remover spray stuff seems to work on literally everything you could get on baby clothes. Except watermelon, the single most staining thing I can think of - in that case rub straight detergent on the stain and let it soak before washing and it might work if you do it twice

We just take her clothes off to eat watermelon right now lol.

I never noticed any trouble with the baby oatmeal back when she would eat it fwiw

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

A Bad King posted:

Learn of the magic of borax, go forth be happy.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Thanks everyone. I hope I'm not getting too far ahead of myself, but the apnea has been really distressing and I'm a Worst Case Scenario Planner by nature. I was hoping it wouldn't be as big a shitshow as when my husband got his tonsils out as an adult, but lol it's looking like it might since the kid is basically his clone now.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My three year old may have called me a Little Fucker today but I really couldn't tell. This is very troubling!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Things my daughter has asked for today:

1.) For me to make a curry and rice soup.
2.) Simon and Garfunkel - 59th Street Bridge Song on loop
3.) Write a book. Just, write one. Now! [Then she wrote a whole book, to show me how easy it was.]

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

2DEG posted:

Thanks everyone. I hope I'm not getting too far ahead of myself, but the apnea has been really distressing and I'm a Worst Case Scenario Planner by nature. I was hoping it wouldn't be as big a shitshow as when my husband got his tonsils out as an adult, but lol it's looking like it might since the kid is basically his clone now.

It's a far easier surgery for a child than an adult. Surgery was only an hour and recovery was very easy. We started with 72 hours of pain meds every 4 hours which meant we had to wake him up during the night, which was rough. Whenever we were even a tiny bit late he'd start complaining about the pain, but Motrin and Tylenol are loving magic in children so most of the time he forgot he was supposed to be recovering from surgery. After that we switched to as needed, but those pain killers made the whole thing significantly better.

I don't remember the exact timeline but we were back to normal in about 10 days. The hardest part was denying him his favorite foods, especially since he's a picky eater so we had some difficulties keeping him fed. I have the only kid in the world who's not interested in unlimited ice cream. loving weirdo.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Like, I don't know what your husband went through of course, but generally speaking adult tonsillectomies are more complicated than kids. So don't use your husband's experience as a basis for anything because it's a completely different experience based on age.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

earlier tonight my son asked me what happens if we get lava in the house, and i was like "i don't know what do you think happens?" and he said "i get to vacuum it up!"

that's the spirit!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter said "i love you" for the first time. morale is high.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Dreylad posted:

my daughter said "i love you" for the first time. morale is high.

This is such a good feeling. We just entered this phase lately too

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

Motrin and Tylenol are loving magic in children

They kind of have been for our baby so far. He gets super cranky for 2 or 3 days after his vaccinations, but a lil squirt of Tylenol and he’s just knocked out and smiling it’s crazy.

Worked really good after his hernia surgery too. He was a complete mess when he first woke up and couldn’t take a bottle for an hour or two. But when we got him home and dosed him a bit of Tylenol he was mostly fine.

We had to stay at the hospital for 12 hours for that surgery. I couldn’t imagine doing an overnight with an infant after a surgery. We had a tiny room with a tiny window that was, and I am not exaggerating, 4 inches wide at most complete with a tiny curtain on it. Felt like I was in prison.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

hallo spacedog posted:

My 2 year old gets very aggressive toward us when she is angry. Obviously we need to figure out how to work on it but is that fairly normal or should I be really worried? I'm just scared I'm missing something but I'm not sure if I'm being overly anxious

Chiming in here because we just got over the hump of this at 2.5. Our daughters default reaction to being upset, for instance when it’s time to turn off the light and go to bed, was to claw at my face. Around 2, it was difficult to handle because the emotions were so intense but at 2.5, I put on my extremely serious face and tone (which rarely comes out) to say that’s not ok and it seems to get through where it didn’t before. One time, I told her that hurt daddy and you could see the wheels spinning and something very close to guilt and regret creeping in, which made me feel absolutely awful, so I stopped saying that and really poured on the serious ‘stop everything and explain it’s ok to be upset but you cant hit people’ stuff. We supplement stuff like that with monster meditation and belly breaths which have also started to be effective for anger specifically.

Just in the past month you can see her wanting to whap me in the face but catching herself. It’s probably not scientifically rigorous to say, but it sure feels like there needs to be some amount of emotional/cognitive development in the ‘ability to self-reflect and restrain’ area before we made any progress.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Toddler eats cereal, which have circle shapes. She gives me the ones that are broken, which are obviously not fit for human consumption.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

What a great feeling to see a dump in a diaper after several days of no poops

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Pooping is awesome since I figure little man is going to be more chill after he does it. I’ll clean any poop diaper if it means he’s going to be chill.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Toddler eats cereal, which have circle shapes. She gives me the ones that are broken, which are obviously not fit for human consumption.

I mean, if you keep eating them, she understands you're a dutiful drone ready to eat them. Waste not! Hup hup

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

meanolmrcloud posted:

Chiming in here because we just got over the hump of this at 2.5. Our daughters default reaction to being upset, for instance when it’s time to turn off the light and go to bed, was to claw at my face. Around 2, it was difficult to handle because the emotions were so intense but at 2.5, I put on my extremely serious face and tone (which rarely comes out) to say that’s not ok and it seems to get through where it didn’t before. One time, I told her that hurt daddy and you could see the wheels spinning and something very close to guilt and regret creeping in, which made me feel absolutely awful, so I stopped saying that and really poured on the serious ‘stop everything and explain it’s ok to be upset but you cant hit people’ stuff. We supplement stuff like that with monster meditation and belly breaths which have also started to be effective for anger specifically.

Just in the past month you can see her wanting to whap me in the face but catching herself. It’s probably not scientifically rigorous to say, but it sure feels like there needs to be some amount of emotional/cognitive development in the ‘ability to self-reflect and restrain’ area before we made any progress.

Thanks, I kind of had a similar feeling about what is going on with her in a couple of different areas right now. I'm hoping that it does change in a few months for ours too

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello fellow parents~ Me and my wife have made a children's board book. The sample from the printer is coming this weekend and then after we bask in its glow we will have to make decisions. I want to print 500 copies and just run through that before pursuing this any further than a hobby-grade vanity project. It was wild going through TBB and old notes I made when I was part of the "self publish literotica" fad back in 2006-2010.

This link goes to the Thumbnail File (CLICK). If anyone wants to give it a 2 minute read please I would love feedback. If you have credentials in anything I would love to know that too so I can report that to the grandparent investors. Thank you~

Edit: fixed share link

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 20, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello fellow parents~ Me and my wife have made a children's board book. The sample from the printer is coming this weekend and then after we bask in its glow we will have to make decisions. I want to print 500 copies and just run through that before pursuing this any further than a hobby-grade vanity project. It was wild going through TBB and old notes I made when I was part of the "self publish literotica" fad back in 2006-2010.

This link goes to the Thumbnail File (CLICK). If anyone wants to give it a 2 minute read please I would love feedback. If you have credentials in anything I would love to know that too so I can report that to the grandparent investors. Thank you~

Edit: fixed share link

I have no useful feedback or credentials but would honestly buy it. Very cool!

“Dear grandparent investors, as an obscure shitposter on a dying internet comedy forum, occasionally I read parenting advice from other socially maladjusted strangers. Between the distended anuses, extensive derails about food, and heated debate over decades old video games, reading this children’s book brought me joy. I would pay up to $$ for it and I hope it is a hit. 5 golden manbabies out of 5.”

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the reviewer blurb, adding to back cover immediately

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Neat my 5 and 7 year olds have decided that they no longer sleep. We had a good routine where we would start bedtime at 7, do some reading, tell a story, then they’d be out by about 8. Now they just don’t fall asleep. Especially the older one. The last few nights I’ve left at about 8:30 because the older one (the one I put to bed, my wife handles the 5 year old) wouldn’t stop thrashing about and talking. At 11 when I went to bed she was still up. It’s been like this for close to a week. She’s exhausted and cranky every day but still refuses to sleep. I love sleep I don’t understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Hello fellow parents~ Me and my wife have made a children's board book. The sample

I would love feedback.

I would maybe add some extra stuff in the background of each panel. My daughter likes to point out all the things on each page. There's like 4 or 5 panels where there's a picture of a blue square, maybe make that a picture of a giraffe or a cow or something. Tossing the family cat or dog in the background of a couple panels (or just one?) would be neat and can help kids relate to the story. I know you have a rocket theme going but a lot of kids respond positively to animals

On the emoji panel, add more emojis, maybe 8 instead of 5? Gives parents more stuff to talk about and what each big feeling is

On the count to 10 page put all 10 numbers on the page? I would expect to stop on this page and do the counting. Three numbers on a count to 10 page seems like a missed opportunity

The front page has a rocket and he's wearing a rocket or hugging a rocket, would be neat to tie it into the story more