Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
What the hell is this Atomic Thunder thing, and whats the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i think it's supposed to be fun but seems like a mega grind to get what, a profile pic?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Cimber posted:

It looks like some kind of thirst trap for people who still think Russia strong memes are funny. And the point is to get thirsty nerds to grind for jpegs of robot girls.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
It's a crossover with Atomic Heart, which was a sort of mediocre Bioshock-but-with-USSR-futurism aesthetics.

It's a grind for a couple decorations and loading screens/profile pictures. The mode is fun enough I guess but you don't make SL or RP in the main game and the rewards don't exactly warrant the kind of grinding necessary to get them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Punished Ape posted:

It's a crossover with Atomic Heart, which was a sort of mediocre Bioshock-but-with-USSR-futurism aesthetics.

It's a grind for a couple decorations and loading screens/profile pictures. The mode is fun enough I guess but you don't make SL or RP in the main game and the rewards don't exactly warrant the kind of grinding necessary to get them.

But you can get boosters!

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
It’s also a way to try out high tier tanks without premium or a bonkers grind.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Cimber posted:

But you can get boosters!

How good are they though? I can see Gaijin weighting the trophies towards orders or backups, or like a 10% x10 SL booster. Not really worth grinding 20k points just for that.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Cimber posted:

I get the feeling this event was supposed to run a few months ago when the game released. It seems like a non-sequitur at this point.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tergaso posted:

I get the feeling this event was supposed to run a few months ago when the game released. It seems like a non-sequitur at this point.

I guess they couldn't decide which april fool's event to do so they just did both but delayed this one
https://warthunder.com/en/news/8177-atomic-thunder-meet-the-lineup-of-unique-soviet-robotics-en

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

How do you target the AI naval base things?

If I look at it my reticle just bounces all over the place making it almost impossible to aim even if it's relatively close.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The bases are destructible? I thought they're just a stage hazard

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

yeah they die really quickly but it's super fiddly to get your guns to actually aim at it.

coastal ships can just call arty on them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think they count towards Terror of the Sea but I'm not sure.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Has gaijin ever said anything about do anything about these naval bot clans? Like every match has 3 of these -shoti- clan naval bots plus a few extra random naval bots.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I'm playing a P-39 in Air RB, I get a Spitfire on my tail. Is there anything I can do or am I just hosed?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Shallow dive, peace the f out, climb.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Has gaijin ever said anything about do anything about these naval bot clans? Like every match has 3 of these -shoti- clan naval bots plus a few extra random naval bots.

I feel like this stuff is approaching critical mass. I can't speak for naval, but in the last handful of ground matches I've seen passive SPAAs parked in spawn, guys aim snapping perfectly to distant tanks, tracking players through mountains, etc. And they're old accounts with tens of thousands of matches, too.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Punished Ape posted:

I feel like this stuff is approaching critical mass. I can't speak for naval, but in the last handful of ground matches I've seen passive SPAAs parked in spawn, guys aim snapping perfectly to distant tanks, tracking players through mountains, etc. And they're old accounts with tens of thousands of matches, too.

it's pretty bad, around 1/4-1/3 of the naval teams (depending on team size are bots like this:

if they auto lock you you're dead because their accuracy is really good, but otherwise they're totally oblivious.

like I've had a parade of bot ships sail right by me at like ~2km while I kill them one by one but they're just shooting away at something 10km+ away

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I thought gaijin disabled AI main gunnery? Is it back?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Farecoal posted:

I'm playing a P-39 in Air RB, I get a Spitfire on my tail. Is there anything I can do or am I just hosed?

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Shallow dive, peace the f out, climb.

Pretty much this. The only thing a Spitfire can generally outrun is a Zero, and the P-39s are all pretty fast even if they have poo poo for acceleration. Big recommend to head for the deck though; His high altitude performance is almost certainly better than yours.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

MrYenko posted:

His high altitude performance is almost certainly better than yours.

p-39 dot txt

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i'm bad at rockets so proud of this one:

https://i.imgur.com/MSTns3S.mp4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I decided to try jets again, sticking to the 8.0 and below bracket. The F80 C10 variant is very deceptive. It looks like the F80-A but it accelerates much faster. I pulled off some pretty impressive games already and I'm not even spaded.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

It's why we sent all of ours to Russia for lend-lease.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
It really pisses me off when I am playing AA that I can kill a plane, but he can somehow still drop a bomb 3 seconds later on me and kill me back. I mean, c'mon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cimber posted:

It really pisses me off when I am playing AA that I can kill a plane, but he can somehow still drop a bomb 3 seconds later on me and kill me back. I mean, c'mon.

War Thunder made a CG video advertisement about how you should always be killing the enemy, even when you are hopelessly destroyed already.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Cimber posted:

It really pisses me off when I am playing AA that I can kill a plane,

you should really be thankful that someone didn't know how to fly :smug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cimber posted:

Planes can also shoot other planes after they are 'dead'. It's funny to get smoked by somebody and then send an IR seeker after him as he burns smugly away

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I killed a stray enemy Yak at high altitude and started diving to go after other planes. A few seconds later I was pilot sniped and I watched the Yak plummet past me, spewing flames. I couldn't even be mad.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Thief posted:

you should really be thankful that someone didn't know how to fly :smug:

I do decent with my Ost 2, and can usually get 2 or 3 plane kills a match. Usually I get killed when the plane I just destroyed kills me after. :/

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

You didn't kill the plane. You just made sure it can't fly much longer. Killing the pilot will disable control immediately.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Farecoal posted:

I killed a stray enemy Yak at high altitude and started diving to go after other planes. A few seconds later I was pilot sniped and I watched the Yak plummet past me, spewing flames. I couldn't even be mad.

It's always Yaks for some reason, just instantly domed out of the cockpit.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Not sure I like these new hit sounds, machine guns especially. Sounds like I'm being aggressively coughed at

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah new MG audio in air battles really had me confused when I briefly logged in today.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
This is what, the 5th patch in a row they've changed sounds?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

People were mad enough about them that they reverted them.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Amazing. Last night was the first time in a long time I've actually been able to reliably pin point enemy locations by their engine sounds.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Replace all the ingame sounds with the ones from the old '1942' arcade game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em7UwOOBvlA

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Amazing. Last night was the first time in a long time I've actually been able to reliably pin point enemy locations by their engine sounds.

I almost never have a problem hearing enemy engines or which direction they're coming from, the main problem is that they change the drat sounds every other patch so I never know how far away the engine sound is
Really makes me feel like a cyber-ace when I can find enemies just by the sound of their idling engine even after they stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah I have that problem as well. It just so happened that the sounds they had in yesterday seemed to click intuitively with me straight away for distance and direction.

I think their sound design may actually be the most frustrating thing about this game. Both the overactive sound engineer, and the somehow persistent bug where sometimes tanks and planes are just silent when right next to you.