Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I enjoy the game because it is an enjoyable game.

Play games you enjoy, this is the secret to video gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Doomykins posted:

2.0 was that rare moment when devs say "hey guys, we fixed all the dumb poo poo!" for once.

RoS was where they brought in the console guy, who had somehow managed to make the best version of Diablo 3 by pretty much just ignoring all the Diablo 2 stuff. That's something that gets left out of the conversation way too often. Even before the expansion Mosqueira had made the game... if not good, much much better.

Even more props to the "We don't care any more, just keep it running" team that took over. Seasons got fun, changes got awesome, and the game's current (and final) season was just huge power and QoL and gently caress it throw it all in there. No one from management cares anyway so just make it all fun and be silly. All the important people are busy focusing on stopping people from hitting level 100 in the new game because we hit a 23-year time warp and grinding levels is content again.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Are there unique cosmetics that drop at higher levels or something? Or something cool you can buy for all these millions of gold I have? I don't really care about Uber Lilith so is there something else to strive for?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Collapsing Farts posted:

Are there unique cosmetics that drop at higher levels or something? Or something cool you can buy for all these millions of gold I have? I don't really care about Uber Lilith so is there something else to strive for?

there's horse armors and trophies for them that drop out of stuff like event chests, Legions chests, world bosses etc.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
https://twitter.com/GodKingButters/status/1681539808517148673?s=20

how do u do fellow MMO players

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Games Forum posted:

https://i.imgur.com/aWUGGXj.gifv

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Is permanent uptime really so bad, when the alternative is "wait between pulls before your CD's run out, then run away like a bitch if they go down and the pull isn't dead yet"? Like this isn't a loving MMO, this isn't Mythic+ we shouldn't have to be super cautious about pulling too much and getting aggro in a loving Diablo game.

I don’t rly have a problem with it, but I can understand why something like grizzly rage being always on would make it very hard to make any content challenging. either way I hope they figure out a way to let you blast off more skills more often because it’s fun

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well we’ve all had a good night’s sleep to let the changes settle and we can now have a calm discussion about th-

ah

Diablo 4: gently caress You

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Diablo 4: malignant hearts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Characters should automatically delete after about 2 weeks so fans learn more about arpg genre customs

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I TRIED TO LOVE YOU!!!!

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

there's for sure something hosed with the AUS servers, this just got posted in a discord I'm in lmao

I got the same speed rates the last few days w/ any Bliz patches. They have sped up the day the patch went live for me though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Games Forum posted:

how many reports whas this thread generated over the last 24 hours?

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
No, no one will ever see
What this did to me.
It's hard enough not to grieve what you can't be
It's a no dps that will take you to a hurt that grows.

My game is gone,
And you can't go on.
My game is torn to pieces
My game is torn.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

faantastic posted:

I got the same speed rates the last few days w/ any Bliz patches. They have sped up the day the patch went live for me though.

I live in the middle of the US and my download speed for the patch yesterday jumped wildly between 7kb/s and 100mb/s. Something is up on blizz’s end.

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007

Rock Puncher posted:

No, no one will ever see
What this did to me.
It's hard enough not to grieve what you can't be
It's a no dps that will take you to a hurt that grows.

My game is gone,
And you can't go on.
My game is torn to pieces
My game is torn.

Mephesto’s wide awake
The soulstone’s broken on the floor

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Patch notes seem a little uninspiring, like season 1 is gonna be a slower, more restricted version of season 0? If it's true that you can't go into WT3 or WT4 before level 50 and 70 respectively, monster levels generally being lower than yours, and exp gain from being underlevelled is capped etc, I might skip this one. I thought it was fun to be able to take a risk and get higher rewards.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
man, people reallllly dont like this patch. the hellfire going on all over the streams, youtube, and sites is kind of legendary

wonder if that dude is going to get fired over it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The only justification I can see for the nerfs is they have rounds of player empowerment coming after season 1 and are planning for that

Kind of the downside of playing a game that has built into it two or more expansions and new seasons every 3 months. The game at launch is going to be gimped on purpose

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:twisted:

Herstory Begins Now posted:

how many reports whas this thread generated over the last 24 hours?

None that I can see. This thread does not generate many any more. I do wish it was not so upset all the time but I get that people can find major changes to a game they are playing annoying but things are settling. I think there is enough people who like and who dislike to counter and the fights do not get to the point where there are nasty arguing.

I can never understand spending 200 hours in three weeks to then decry the game bad. That will always blow my mind.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mailer posted:

RoS was where they brought in the console guy, who had somehow managed to make the best version of Diablo 3 by pretty much just ignoring all the Diablo 2 stuff. That's something that gets left out of the conversation way too often. Even before the expansion Mosqueira had made the game... if not good, much much better.

Even more props to the "We don't care any more, just keep it running" team that took over. Seasons got fun, changes got awesome, and the game's current (and final) season was just huge power and QoL and gently caress it throw it all in there. No one from management cares anyway so just make it all fun and be silly. All the important people are busy focusing on stopping people from hitting level 100 in the new game because we hit a 23-year time warp and grinding levels is content again.

And the insane build variety they introduced while on life support. Blizzard was earning zero money from that game by then.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The were earning money in it becuase they were rereleasing it on consoles the entire time

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I can’t wait for Fridays justification chat that will not make the anger any better. Might get a food reference though.

My bets are “we hear you keep submitting feedback”, “we’ll continue adjusting during the major seasonal patches”, “hearts and battle pass power will address some of these issues”, “gently caress you”

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
reddit already posted the bingo card

I love a good trainwreck but I'm still not gonna watch it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

This season's gonna own so much. It already does.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Vic posted:

And the insane build variety they introduced while on life support. Blizzard was earning zero money from that game by then.

Yeah, every season pretty much guaranteeing a new build per class was perfect for the whole "oh cool I'll come back and try this new thing" on top of whatever the gimmick was

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I can’t wait for Fridays justification chat that will not make the anger any better. Might get a food reference though.

My bets are “we hear you keep submitting feedback”, “we’ll continue adjusting during the major seasonal patches”, “hearts and battle pass power will address some of these issues”, “gently caress you”

I think what's going on is the money people made a hard demand on some non game related engagement metric for season 1 that the dev team just have to fulfill. They'll be giving vague answers and "these things take time" for a while, focusing on lovely story beats and stuff like that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

John Carpenter did a horror anthology in 1993 called "Body Bags" and one of the segments is about a man (Stacy Keach) getting hair plugs that turn out to be little alien worms that ate his brain. is that related.

e. i forget there was an amazing stories episode called hell toupee lmao

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Colonoscopies are great

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vic posted:

I enjoy this game because others don't is a very late stage onlineitis.

It's the gamer equivalent of watching trashy reality tv to gawk at strangers acting outrageously and with no self awareness.

Anyway, this thread is great.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Rock Puncher posted:

reddit already posted the bingo card

I love a good trainwreck but I'm still not gonna watch it

Long term health of the game is on there twice, please nerf long term health of the game for the long term health of the bingo card

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

The $100 I spent is already paying dividends in salt returns alone, I'm loving these meltdowns

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Colonoscopies are great

Whatever they gave me that kept me half asleep was loving dope, however drinking the jug of poop maker 9000 was one of the worst things I've ever done

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

OMG I HATE THIS GAME

Diablo 3 is good!!!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Shredder posted:

Whatever they gave me that kept me half asleep was loving dope, however drinking the jug of poop maker 9000 was one of the worst things I've ever done

Same but D4

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Predicting an endless chain of "it'll be better next season" until the first expac lands.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Mailer posted:

Blizzard clearly got some advice/direction at some point ~10+ years ago to start evaluating their games like King and focus more on monthly active users and engagement metrics than customer satisfaction. You can see it through the design decision of Wow through BFA and Shadowlands especially and Overwatch.

Shockingly, evaluating a large PC console mmo or aarpg like a mobile clicker doesn’t work and led to massive user churn on WoW and the lowest point of the game. Leading up to Dragonflight, someone decided number were dire enough to say gently caress engagement, let’s just make poo poo fun and the game started turning around. Dragonflight is mostly regarded very positively because they took out most of the pointless time sinks and grinds and just created fun stories, activities, and content. Wow still has a lot of problems from years of bad decisions but is healthier than it’s been in many years.

The Diablo 4 team clearly ignored all those company learnings and are still pursuing the mobile game metrics and dragging out content. They are going to have to go through the same cycle of failure as D3 and WoW to realize that if you just make a game fun, the other metrics will come with it. Their player base is justifiably much more frustrated this time though because Blizzard steps on this same loving rake over and over again.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Sloober posted:

John Carpenter did a horror anthology in 1993 called "Body Bags" and one of the segments is about a man (Stacy Keach) getting hair plugs that turn out to be little alien worms that ate his brain. is that related.

I watched this when I was like five with my older brothers who definitely knew better. That was a mistake

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Shredder posted:

The $100 I spent is already paying dividends in salt returns alone, I'm loving these meltdowns

you're lucky you didn't have to deal with the Pill Era of it b/c the pills were so, so much worse than even the Jug

Doomykins posted:

Predicting an endless chain of "it'll be better next season" until the first expac lands.

then will change to 'it'll be better next expac'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lotta drama queens ITT.