Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Snackmar posted:

Man, my Bambu order is split into a lot of shipments.. Still no word on what's up with the cancelled printer deliveries but my extra AMS just arrived via FedEx

I missed my UPS guy with my P1S combo today by 30 minutes. Stupid work. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Scarodactyl posted:

You need to get another machine to avoid breaking her heart.

Alright. So if I’m doing household goods, already have a resin printer, and have no problem using an airbrush — there’s not much reason for me to go for Bambu or Prusa, right? I don’t need fancy filaments for my purposes? People seem to be yelling about the Neptune 4 so should I get a Neptune 3 Pro/Plus?

Edit: or some other brand?

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 18, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I think the reality enders are the default low cost FDM printer but the last time I bought an FDM was 2016 :)

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Just know that some filament types (notably PLA) don't do well outdoors so if you're looking to make stuff that'll live out in the sun, you'll want a machine that can print ASA and/or ABS. That usually means an enclosure since the fumes from them are not good for living things.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rad-daddio posted:

reality ender

please don't reveal my secret finishing move

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BlackIronHeart posted:

Just know that some filament types (notably PLA) don't do well outdoors so if you're looking to make stuff that'll live out in the sun, you'll want a machine that can print ASA and/or ABS. That usually means an enclosure since the fumes from them are not good for living things.

Depends? I have a PLA birdfeeder stand that gets blasted with full sunlight daily in summer and it is still as solid as the day it was printed, uh, 7 years ago. The color has totally faded, but other than that it has totally held up.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

CommunityEdition posted:

People seem to be yelling about the Neptune 4 so should I get a Neptune 3 Pro/Plus?

You won't (or shouldn't, at least) have any heartache with a Neptune 3 Pro. Definitely the best current value as far as cheap-but-good printers go.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
drat you p1S people I ordered it the day it was available and I get it Friday. Stupid east coast

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Neptune 3 pro/plus/max is absolutely the best lowish-cost printer out right now

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

The Neptune 4 pro fixes a lot of the little things I don't like about the 3 pro! Wish I had waited for it!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Neptune 3/4 is the go to cheap printer, Bambu above that, and voron/x1c above that. Bed slingers are mostly a losing argument above cheapie printers.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Sockser posted:

I’ll bang the Sovol SV06/Plus drum - they’re super easy to get started with, and open source including step/stl files for all the plastic parts so modding is easier if you think you’ll go that route. You also get linear rods & screws on the Z axis instead of V rollers, which is arguably better.

Also slightly cheaper than the Neptune line.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I have both a Sovol SV06+ and a Neptune3 Max
They're both pretty rad in their own ways.

The Neptune is the quietest printer I've ever used and, obv, has a gigantic bed, though a Pro on its own wouldn't get you that. The parts cooling also seems to be pretty really very good.

Volcano hotend on the Sovol and easily swappable parts is super hot, which is good, because I've got some parts on mine that definitely needed replacing straight out of the box (the Y stepper is so loving loud
Both are truly great machines, tbh.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I will shout that Elegoo has some fantastic customer service and support. I noticed a small crack in my extruder casing and sent a pic to Elegoo support asking if it was under warranty. They asked for my address and sent me an entire new print head in under two weeks at no cost.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

BlackIronHeart posted:

I will shout that Elegoo has some fantastic customer service and support. I noticed a small crack in my extruder casing and sent a pic to Elegoo support asking if it was under warranty. They asked for my address and sent me an entire new print head in under two weeks at no cost.

I was six months out of warranty and they still sent me a brand new controller board when I blew the MOSFET for the hotend on mine. Their customer service is tops.

BannedNewbie
Apr 22, 2003

HOW ARE YOU? -> YOSHI?
FINE, THANK YOU. -> YOSHI.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I managed to get a broken heatbreak stuck in the heatsink (which turns out to be a proprietary part) and they sent me a whole new hot end for free.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone else with a Neptune 3 Pro unable to get M600 filament change commands to work? I've updated the firmware which Elegoo says added support for it (as well as the firmware for the display) but the commands do not work at all when you send the print via Octoprint. If you try to use the SD card to load the GCode, the printer will halt at the M600 line but then just sit and do nothing but display "Processing please wait" on the display.

I've read that people just replace M600 with M0 but this does not seem useful as you cannot purge the old filament and having the nozzle just parked on the piece can't be good.

edit: Looks like there's an Octoprint plug-in for this. I'll check that out when i have the time.

edit2: M355 now works to control the LED strip in the newest firmware too. :toot:

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 19, 2023

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Went with the Neptune 3 Pro. Thanks for the validation.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

ilkhan posted:

Neptune 3/4 is the go to cheap printer, Bambu above that, and voron/x1c above that. Bed slingers are mostly a losing argument above cheapie printers.

I really like x1c, but the build volume is not big enough for what I need. I think I might have to build a Voron to get the nice 350^3. Well, there goes the rest of my free time for this year.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

CommunityEdition posted:

People seem to be yelling about the Neptune 4 so should I get a Neptune 3 Pro/Plus?

What's the issue with the Neptune 4?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

gbut posted:

I really like x1c, but the build volume is not big enough for what I need. I think I might have to build a Voron to get the nice 350^3. Well, there goes the rest of my free time for this year.

Small note with that 350^3 voron. It's extremely hard to get the full 350 Z height without doing some mods to the top of the printer. It's certainly possible but out of the box you're only gonna hit 290-300.

Just a little something to keep in mind.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Sockser posted:

It depends what you want. The hotend is PTFE-lined, so if you want to print PETG above 235C or print ABS at all, you're going to need to upgrade it, and from experience your PLA printing will suffer (a little) and TPU will also suffer (more). It'll also bring the price up to the Sovol SV06, which I think is for most purposes the actual best low-cost printer.

I have a N3 Plus and am keeping it even though I have a P1S on the way (because hey, nobody else cares about their lovely behavior so I might as well have a fast printer too, this is the way the ecosystem is going now) because its TPU performance is very good, but it hasn't done much other printing besides flexibles in a while.

Rad-daddio posted:

I think the reality enders are the default low cost FDM printer but the last time I bought an FDM was 2016 :)
no.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

mattfl posted:

Small note with that 350^3 voron. It's extremely hard to get the full 350 Z height without doing some mods to the top of the printer. It's certainly possible but out of the box you're only gonna hit 290-300.

Thanks for the heads up. That should be more than fine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mattfl posted:

I should probably run my Trident to full Z just to verify how much is available...

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Eyes Have It posted:

Depends? I have a PLA birdfeeder stand that gets blasted with full sunlight daily in summer and it is still as solid as the day it was printed, uh, 7 years ago. The color has totally faded, but other than that it has totally held up.

I've had a number of PLA test fit prints end up becoming permanent in outdoor locations because I was lazy and left them there and they just didn't melt like I assumed they would. Among them are a phone holder, gear shift knob, and oil filler cap, all of which have survived at least one summer baking in the sun in my van.

I have also left other prints on the seat of the same van and had them curl up like a shrimp in the span of 45 minutes from the heat. Design and internal structure seem to be a factor

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there a fix for Prusaslicer always auto-arranging organically supported items too close together and throwing "Conflicts in G-Code paths have been detected?"

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

You could increase the auto-arranging padding/space (Right click on the icon I think?), but otherwise there's not much you can do.
Dunno if there's any way around it because slicers don't know how big the organic supports will be until they're generated.

(Really makes me wish the slicer would slice all of them with separate, local transforms so that it could just shuffle them around after it was done slicing.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Deviant posted:

Is there a fix for Prusaslicer always auto-arranging organically supported items too close together and throwing "Conflicts in G-Code paths have been detected?"

Only one I’ve found is to right click on the Arrange button and crank up the object separation distance until it doesn’t do that any more.

E: f;b

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

The Chairman posted:

What's the issue with the Neptune 4?

Could be hearsay, could be whining. The gist I got was that the Klipper implementation was shaky, and I figured I’d be safer planting myself in the older generation and either DIYing or getting something more mature later if we felt the need.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

It's one of those situations where there isn't really a bad choice, so it's not much to worry about

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
My two P1S just arrived - I could hear the UPS guy bringing the handtruck down the street, these are hefty! Hopefully the filament and other accessories arrive this week

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

AMS talk. theres no real way to do multimaterial for it right?

wondering about load it with PLA/PETG and using one for supports so I can get perfect surfaces

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

AMS talk. theres no real way to do multimaterial for it right?

wondering about load it with PLA/PETG and using one for supports so I can get perfect surfaces

What do you mean? It supports multimaterial printing by default. Bambu/Orca slicer has support for multimaterial like PLA with PETG interfaces right in the slicer.
It's been a while since I did it, but it was entirely unproblematic for me. (PLA with PLA supports, but PETG interfaces between the support and structure to minimize the amount of swapping.)

Just assign your PETG as the interface material, and it'll roll ahead with whatever g-code rules are set up by default for swapping/purging.

(There's a bunch of filament specific G-Code that decides stuff like what temp to use while purging etc, I think by default it tries to go to the highest shared temp / max temp of the PLA.)

e: Remember to disable purging to infill/supports, I don't want to imagine how that'd end up.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 19, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
At this point I feel like I'm more concerned about being able to do useful 3D modeling than having difficulty printing stuff.

Slicing seems in a reasonable state. At least the software ecosystem can't possibly be as bad as the total loving shitshow that is CNC CAM, right? There are some really nice little mills for affordable prices but the software is all either really expensive or really awful.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Going from 3d printing with PrusaSlicer + Chitu + Lychee for near 4 years to dipping my toes into the CNC CAM world, you are correct. It is night and day and it's wild to me that the hobbiest CNC space is so ... undercooked vs the printer space.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Rescue Toaster posted:

the software is all either really expensive orand really awful.

Fixed that for you. My experience is that they can be both expensive and awful.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Rescue Toaster posted:

At this point I feel like I'm more concerned about being able to do useful 3D modeling than having difficulty printing stuff.

This is the thing about the (FDM) 3d printing space. The technology is...fine. The slicers are...fine. Nobody knows how to loving design anything. I'm not a super braingenius about it, but I find myself reinventing so many existing things just because they're hideous or don't work or feel bad when they do.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The crazy thing is that really expensive equipment can still have a terrible interface/functionality.

I used to think that your average consumer "thing" has a pretty good UI and controls, so a super expensive super specialized thing that costs like 100-1000x more should have at least as good of a UI and interface, right? Hahaha nope

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 19, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

tracecomplete posted:

This is the thing about the (FDM) 3d printing space. The technology is...fine. The slicers are...fine. Nobody knows how to loving design anything. I'm not a super braingenius about it, but I find myself reinventing so many existing things just because they're hideous or don't work or feel bad when they do.

There was a "heavy duty" wall hanger that was printed on its back so the layer lines were in the worst orientation possible.

The edges were curved so you couldn't just flip it on its side either.

Real easy to make myself but man, I hope no one was printing that.

So many electronics cases are the same way too, just straight up not designed to be printed in FDM or Resin, almost like a scan but it's not, they made it themselves. Maybe they are using some wonder material that has perfect layer adhesion but those tiny case clips are gonna ping off into space the first time you try to close it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

tracecomplete posted:

Nobody knows how to loving design anything. I'm not a super braingenius about it, but I find myself reinventing so many existing things just because they're hideous or don't work or feel bad when they do.

Kinda recently in the 3d printing for tabletop thread someone was talking about how one minis creator doesn't actually test print the minis they publish :regd09: