Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

This seems like a big deal? I know that if Americans were discovered in Russia plotting to do this there would be a huge poo poo storm.

Will it matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

what do you expect mods to do though

"He's a forum superstar so we just gave him a 6er"

zone
Dec 6, 2016

weg posted:

This seems like a big deal? I know that if Americans were discovered in Russia plotting to do this there would be a huge poo poo storm.

Will it matter?

It's not the first time a cell of spies and local sympathizers was arrested trying to find data on the weapons systems being sent, or attempting to destroy the weapons.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

weg posted:

Will it matter?

I doubt anything militarily?

At most expel diplomats, push for harsher sanctions/visa restrictions? I feel like Poland is already pretty done with all that

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Was lavrov the one that got clowned on Twitter so hard by nafo that he stopped posting for a couple weeks after someone pointed out he was arguing with cartoon dogs?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Was lavrov the one that got clowned on Twitter so hard by nafo that he stopped posting for a couple weeks after someone pointed out he was arguing with cartoon dogs?

I think that was Mededev. As far as I'm aware, Lavrov doesn't have much or any social media presence and is like the "legitimate" front guy optically.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dwesa posted:

well, so much for BRICS

BICS

They've already cornered the market on ball-point pens.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I think that was Mededev. As far as I'm aware, Lavrov doesn't have much or any social media presence and is like the "legitimate" front guy optically.

It was Medvedev, I'm still blocked by him lol

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

so why didnt putin ever visit trump in america

seems like it would have been such a power move

Host is an alpha, guest is a cuck beta cuck. Diplomacy 101

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HonorableTB posted:

It was Medvedev, I'm still blocked by him lol

Holy poo poo, I'd be printing that and framing it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Surprised Medvedev isnt charging 2500 roubles to his dacha fund for blocking people.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

weg posted:

Will it matter?

This has been reported in the mainstream Polish news around May, announced by our government and was a big deal, and this is rehashed news. AFAIK the perpetrators are in the Polish legal system now awaiting trial.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Surprised Medvedev isnt charging 2500 roubles to his dacha fund for blocking people.

He thought of that, but woke up half naked surrounded by vodka bottles with a note app reading "Twiter? Blockk charg? Investigative fAther" written at 2am he couldn't parse in the late morning hangover fog amongst the drafts of text messages asking Putin to hang out and rejected ways of claiming things would lead to World War III.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 19, 2023

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Maybe if he loudly threatens a nuclear holocaust one final time, Putin will finally notice him

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd be printing that and framing it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Did someone grab “@MedvedevRussia” first because lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol medvedev pays for twitter.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Tigey posted:

"He's a forum superstar so we just gave him a 6er"

If he posts in this thread I promise to chain probe him with Mudvayne pics

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol medvedev pays for twitter.

wouldn't/shouldn't accepting money from Medvedev put Twitter on an OFAC shitlist?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Did someone grab “@MedvedevRussia” first because lol

its his english language twitter where he goes on drunken rants in english instead of russian

a podcast for cats posted:

wouldn't/shouldn't accepting money from Medvedev put Twitter on an OFAC shitlist?

Elron Munks probably gave it to him for free like Stephen King

In other news, the IOC is still a corrupt and useless organization:

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/07/19/7412035/

Pravda posted:

IOC bans London from conducting qualifiers for 2024 Olympics due to UK position on Russian and Belarusian athletes

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has deprived London of the right to conduct qualifying competitions in new sports for the 2024 Olympics because of the UK government position on the participation of Russian and Belarusian athletes.

Source: The Times

Details: The IOC Executive Board has informed the British Olympic Association (BOA) that it will no longer consider London as a venue for the competition and is currently exploring other alternatives in Europe to host this series.

The IOC's decision stems from the UK government's insistence that Russian and Belarusian athletes must sign a personal declaration of neutrality and agree not to support the war in Ukraine if they want to compete in the UK.

Athletes must also declare that they will not support the leadership of Russian President Vladimir Putin, and that they cannot receive any state funding from Russia.

The publication reports that the decision caused concern in British Olympic circles, hoping for the performance of British athletes in new sports in front of their native audience as part of their efforts to win a place in Paris next month. Now, they will have to go abroad for this.

Quote: "We are extremely disappointed... It is particularly frustrating for those British athletes who are now missing out on the advantage of striving to qualify for Paris in front of a passionate home crowd", said a BOA spokesman.

Accordingly, the ban will apply to sports such as break dance, skateboarding, sport climbing and BMX freestyle.

Background:

In January, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced the beginning of a Marathon of Honesty, which will be aimed at cleansing hypocrisy from the international Olympic leadership and preventing any attempts to bring representatives of Russia back into the world of sport.

Zelenskyy wrote a letter to the presidents of the world's leading sports federations, urging them to make up their minds about the International Olympic Committee's decision to reinstate Russian athletes in international competitions.

IOC President Thomas Bach said that he wants to "explore the possibility" of returning athletes from Russia and Belarus to international sports, even though this may be the reason for the boycott of the competition by Ukraine.

Russia's Foreign Ministry has said any attempt to oust Moscow from international sport over the war, which it calls its "special military operation" in Ukraine, is "doomed to fail."

In March, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has recommended that international sports federations allow athletes from Russia and Belarus to take part in tournaments as neutrals, but has postponed its response concerning their participation in the Olympics.

"Accordingly, the ban will apply to sports such as break dance, skateboarding, sport climbing and BMX freestyle."

I was unaware there were also Radical Olympics, that kicks rear end, way better than crosscountry skiing

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 19, 2023

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HonorableTB posted:

I was unaware there were also Radical Olympics, that kicks rear end, way better than crosscountry skiing

Hey now, crosscountry is part of our cultural heritage as much as baseball is in the US. :norway:
(And they're both slow and boring yet still somehow relaxing to watch)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russia missiles grain silos and infrastructure

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66242446

Russian war commentators said the damage proved that Kyiv was unable to shoot down the majority of Russian missiles and drones.

Yes, that is what we should be taking away from blowing sources of food for countries. The best of takes.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Computer viking posted:

Hey now, crosscountry is part of our cultural heritage as much as baseball is in the US. :norway:

I really do enjoy the event where all the skiiers start shooting guns for some reason :v:

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

"Russian missile attacks on Ukraine's Black Sea coast have destroyed 60,000 tonnes of grain and damaged storage infrastructure, officials say."

I hope that fucker spends every second of his short, miserable life in the most excruciating pain imaginable.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Russia destroying food grown for other countries is good for the global south and a multipolar world because... :thunk:

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

HonorableTB posted:

I really do enjoy the event where all the skiiers start shooting guns for some reason :v:

That’s biathlon, an entirely different sport that also kicks rear end.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

HonorableTB posted:

Ah, the Scandinavian drive-by.

e: I think I've mentioned before how Norwegian is a language of poetry and elegance. Biathlon is "skiskyting" - "ski shooting".

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Von Pluring posted:

That’s biathlon, an entirely different sport that also kicks rear end.

One that Finns found very useful against Russia once.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

worst person great point etc

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/1680156055811117057

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

weg posted:

Will it matter?

For now the only source for that is Gazeta Polska, so I'd rather wait for confirmation from something that's not a sensationalizing, nationalist rag

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 32 hours!)

Computer viking posted:

Like Norway.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I hope you mean Boris

Rugz
Apr 15, 2014

PLS SEE AVATAR. P.S. IM A BELL END LOL

Has Medvedev demanded European cities be nuked yet today?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Putting Ukraine in NATO before kicking Russia out means instant Article 5, meaning instant war between every NATO member and Russia.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Calling the mentally ill Boris Johnson's own kind is ableist slander.

Grape posted:

Putting Ukraine in NATO before kicking Russia out means instant Article 5, meaning instant war between every NATO member and Russia.

Yeah, it's boardgame rules with no backsies. Article 5 is actually banned from most Magic tournaments for being too powerful (but yeah, that would be a bad idea).

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 19, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I hope you mean Boris

safely both here

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Yes

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Grape posted:

good

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I honestly don’t know if article 5 is good or not good but it definitely is a “this will not happen again so just quit” moment which is good itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Calling the mentally ill Boris Johnson's own kind is ableist slander.

Yeah, it's boardgame rules with no backsies. Article 5 is actually banned from most Magic tournaments for being too powerful (but yeah, that would be a bad idea).

Russia can counter by playing Look At Me, I’m the UN Security Council for an easy board wipe