Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mekchu posted:

so question, how is this considered feedback but what dw69 posted isn't?

like kc your remark 'this isn't feedback' to dw69 should apply here right? or am i missing how useful this is as feedback compared to dw69's recent posts?

I missed a couple of posts responding to others, thanks for pointing that out!

quote:

i think dw69 is bringing it up here because even though there's another thread, seth openly said they refuse to discuss it in SAD*. so by way of refusing to actually discuss the issue elsewhere, there's no other place for dw69 to discuss it where the points by both of them being made can be openly read and seen by others so there's no 'actually you lied' sort of stuff occurring?

Dw could've posted a separate thread here in GBS to discuss the issue or sent me a pm to discuss it, off the top of my head. I asked repeatedly that it be kept out of this specific thread. There's a whole forum here to use

surc posted:

I can't speak for Douche Wolf ofc but to me the issue is that after the first post saying take it to PMs all of your posts saying take it elsewhere are also telling DW they're feeling wrong which if you take as patronizing instantly taints anything else in the post as patronizing and dismissive.

That's fair, I will try to be more mindful of my tone but I'm also not trying to get that modvoice style of posting. I'm a dumb idiot shitposting on a forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm telling you that GBS got by for years without a feedback thread and it just should be given a rest for a while

This is ridiculous

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karma Comedian posted:

I missed a couple of posts responding to others, thanks for pointing that out!

Dw could've posted a separate thread here in GBS to discuss the issue or sent me a pm to discuss it, off the top of my head. I asked repeatedly that it be kept out of this specific thread. There's a whole forum here to use

That's fair, I will try to be more mindful of my tone but I'm also not trying to get that modvoice style of posting. I'm a dumb idiot shitposting on a forum.

i guess i'm just not getting how you think they aren't using the feedback thread properly when giving feedback and asking for a response from the moderators on their behavior/decisions and how making a different thread in gbs would resolve the stuff they're getting at

Spinz posted:

I'm telling you that GBS got by for years without a feedback thread and it just should be given a rest for a while

This is ridiculous

what's the go to line, 'don't like, don't read'?

just because you personally don't like the discussion doesn't mean the thread has to be killed. all your posts are doing is making GBS threads up this conversation.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 19, 2023

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Spinz posted:

This is ridiculous

I like to imagine this thread as a sort of aquarium, or terrarium, and it's kind of neat like looking at lizards or bugs that are normally outside :)

Also I genuinely want to make those effortposts now so we can share GBS goodness with all the other subforums, especially the smart ones. I think that'll be super fun.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it's not patronizing to tell someone they're wrong when they're actually wrong, and douche wolf is wrong again. nobody is "running interference" for seth, i've seen that accusation a couple times now and it's weird.

i get that this is an obsession for some of you, but yelling debate me bro at seth over and over is tedious and it's not going to bring him out any faster. it's starting to get creepy and a mod has asked you to stop multiple times.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mekchu posted:

i guess i'm just not getting how you think they aren't using the feedback thread properly

The poster responded to a post of mine that didn't imply or name them, nor did the quoted post, and demanded I support my (nonexistent) "accusations" against them, called me patronizing when I told them they were mistaken, then refused to take it elsewhere when asked multiple times.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karma Comedian posted:

The poster responded to a post of mine that didn't imply or name them, nor did the quoted post, and demanded I support my (nonexistent) "accusations" against them, called me patronizing when I told them they were mistaken, then refused to take it elsewhere when asked multiple times.

just for the sake of clarity this was the chain of convo right?

Fumble posted:

My feedback is that this is getting embarrassing. Why cant you just be polite to each other and stop fighing for the sake of internet pride.

Karma Comedian posted:

This.

Take it to PMs or idk make a thunderdome thread and fight it out there but not here.

(Note: this does not count as sanctioning a thunderdome thread, that's a joke)

I'm back from work now so I'll be around but let's get back on track: actual feedback on GBS.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

what is and isn't feedback? it's difficult to discern from how this thread is run, im still waiting on a reply from seth (technically abt the last thread's genuine homophobia post lol), and that is feedback of a gbs thread according to me and others.

this reads as trying to get one last forumwars jab in wrt the thunderdome comment, considering peopled complained about seth's bully comment, then closing the thread to criticism. this is a theme

this reads as them responding to you by asking what counts as feedback and what doesnt because that has been a consistently hazy line, which i pointed out just recently with that one post.

the thunderdome bit, while a joke, sort of made it seem like you think that the criticism being raised is some fight that dw69 linked to seth's comments about not responding to any feedback about gbs in sad because they 'got the e-crap beaten' out of them. idk, that's how i think dw69 took it and it was just a bad line to use imo. that's my actual feedback.

the "actual feedback on gbs" line also doesn't help imo. mostly because this thread started off with, and still has, lots of 'not actual feedback on gbs' being posted by a variety of people that went unpunished/probated etc.

but if you disagree please feel free to correct me. probably in the sad thread about gbs mod actions since it seems this thread isn't for this line of discussion? :shrug:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037060&pagenumber=7

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 19, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mekchu posted:

Correct. To which I responded (bolding mine):

quote:

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

what is and isn't feedback? it's difficult to discern from how this thread is run, im still waiting on a reply from seth (technically abt the last thread's genuine homophobia post lol), and that is feedback of a gbs thread according to me and others.

Then wait? Continuing to beat the horse isn't going to get him to respond any faster. That thread is now closed, and this isn't the "GBS feedback thread feedback thread," so any further\ discussion about it should be done in PMs or an appropriate thread.

quote:

this reads as trying to get one last forumwars jab in wrt the thunderdome comment, considering peopled complained about seth's bully comment, then closing the thread to criticism. this is a theme

This is a very weird way to read "discuss this all you want in an appropriate venue." I'm sorry youre feeling persecuted by what was clearly labeled a joke, but it's not any forum wars anything to tell everyone that is clearly sniping at each other in the feedback thread to take it elsewhere.

Which addresses their concern the best I can offer since I can't force Seth to reply, tells them that I'm not trying to make them feel any type of way by my post, and asks twice more to take the conversation elsewhere.

Mekchu posted:

the thunderdome bit, while a joke, sort of made it seem like you think that the criticism being raised is some fight that dw69 linked to seth's comments about not responding to any feedback about gbs in sad because they 'got the e-crap beaten' out of them. idk, that's how i think dw69 took it and it was just a bad line to use imo. that's my actual feedback.

I don't see that connection because I'm not looking at it through your lense. I saw people arguing, I told them to make a thread about it, and someone got mad.

Mekchu posted:

the "actual feedback on gbs" line also doesn't help imo. mostly because this thread started off with, and still has, lots of 'not actual feedback on gbs' being posted by a variety of people that went unpunished/probated etc.

but if you disagree please feel free to correct me.

That's true, there's a lot of not actual feedback. Especially recently, and that's going to change.

So, that said, you can hit me up in PMs if you'd like.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

If I make a dumb thread about a subject that is covered in another subforum (like cars for example) can the mods make a sticky post in that forum telling them to come to my GBS thread and post there?

I would love to see how the anime dungeon (I forget the name of it sorry) would feel about a thread where I discuss all the narutos I've seen, stuff like that, and it might be fun to create some interforum comradery :)

It wouldn't be mean, but it would be very stupid probably.

Post about it in the anime chat thread if you want to get eyes on your thread

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
reboot the crab thread and make it a crab/frog thread. i have personal reasons. im sure they'll support it

Mekchu posted:

just because you personally don't like the discussion doesn't mean the thread has to be killed. all your posts are doing is making GBS threads up this conversation.

it's called feedback dude. get over it. and she's right, but unrelated.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 19, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
My feedback is that the forums wide feedback thread isn't an appropriate place to air and litigate personal grievances.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd like to thank the IK's/mods for trying to keep this thread functional and hope others can help keep it so to make GBS run better.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quotey posted:

reboot the crab thread and make it a crab/frog thread. i have personal reasons. im sure they'll support it

it's called feedback dude. get over it. and she's right, but unrelated.

coming in only to post how you think the thread should be shut down because people are talking about things you don't like isn't feedback.

steinrokkan posted:

My feedback is that the forums wide feedback thread isn't an appropriate place to air and litigate personal grievances.

due to (some) mods refusing to go to SA Discussion threads where their actions are being scrutinized/criticized results in people coming here because this is where they're responding to people talking about their actions. :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's irresponsible for the mods to all go on tropical vacation and leave a chatgpt bot trained on breakup conversations in charge of their accounts

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

my feedback is im wild and willing to beat the e-crap outta the next goon to look at me funny

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Mekchu posted:

coming in only to post how you think the thread should be shut down because people are talking about things you don't like isn't feedback.

due to (some) mods refusing to go to SA Discussion threads where their actions are being scrutinized/criticized results in people coming here because this is where they're responding to people talking about their actions. :shrug:

what is going on in that sad thread is a much sadder pathetic version of the troubles, no one at all cares about it you can tell by the lack of posts. it's over a word and a 6'er.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
This is the dumbest thread.

If you want a gbs feedback thread then close this and reboot it with a rule that the feedback is about GBS and not else where if you want to have a 24/7 open thread. That's what SAD is for or other forum feedback thread.

This petty airing of grievances is dumb. Make a new thread about it or go to SAD or PM or w/e

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tai posted:

If you want a gbs feedback thread then close this and reboot it with a rule that the feedback is about GBS and not else where if you want to have a 24/7 open thread. That's what SAD is for or other forum feedback thread.

This petty airing of grievances is dumb. Make a new thread about it or go to SAD or PM or w/e

don't like, don't read :troll:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tai posted:

Seems like that's already in several rules in the OP

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I'm genuinely confused. How is discussion of this thread and its mods not GBS feedback? Isn't this thread part of GBS?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
karma literally one example with good feedback, one with the sniping you don't want to see. all you have to do to help set a firm example for the thread. you can do it i truly believe you can use the quote buttons

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What’s the point? You’re just going to endlessly nitpick every response you get to manufacture drama. At this point you’re not posting feedback, you’re making this thread your personal grievance zone and everyone is sick of hearing it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Everyone Speaker has logged on

I think some examples of useful and un-useful feedback would be good. I don't think there's huge amounts of urgency around it though. The mods have been dipshits for a very long time and it is unlikely that their crippled communication skills will be fixed overnight

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What’s the point? You’re just going to endlessly nitpick every response you get to manufacture drama. At this point you’re not posting feedback, you’re making this thread your personal grievance zone and everyone is sick of hearing it.

the point is it sets an extremely clear example for me, you, and everyone in the thread being accused of sniping. could you also try using the "ignore" function, or simply not responding to my posts if you find every one of them in bad faith or objectionable?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what are some gbs threads people like that are under 50 pages long?

i like the cool sea creature thread.

The Official GBS Somebody Feed Phil thread about the hit travel & food show from the creator of "Everybody Loves Raymond," Philip Rosenthal.

Try listening to the theme song and seeing if you don't also want to Feed Phil :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxA8atOzz0

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Please rename this thread "the douche wolf 89 saga" so maybe GBS can have a different feedback thread.

I'm now really intrigued by feeding Phil, thanks!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lol drat what happened here. Given how seriously some goons seem to take sixers I have to assume they spend the entirely 6 hours rapidly pacing in front of their computer, only occasionally stopping to glance at their monitor while shivering with rage.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

The Everyone Speaker has logged on

I think some examples of useful and un-useful feedback would be good. I don't think there's huge amounts of urgency around it though. The mods have been dipshits for a very long time and it is unlikely that their crippled communication skills will be fixed overnight

depends on the topic but usually useful feedback is typically, going off other feedback threads on SA, where you can bring up an issue/point and discuss it with the moderators or others going over how and why X or Y is good or bad. sometimes it takes a conversation and some back and forth for this to happen. un-useful feedback is trying disrupt any discussion from happening because you personally don't like seeing it or think its a non-issue rather than just letting the discussion play out.

here's some examples of useful feedback:

Mekchu posted:

this reads as them responding to you by asking what counts as feedback and what doesnt because that has been a consistently hazy line, which i pointed out just recently with that one post.

but if you disagree please feel free to correct me. probably in the sad thread about gbs mod actions since it seems this thread isn't for this line of discussion? :shrug:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4037060&pagenumber=7

surc posted:

drat I just came to post that prag was looking for threads in the SAD good threads thing so people should definitely post good gbs threads in there

but KC you handled that whole thing pretty patronizingly and I don't understand what other responses you could have expected. If somebody assumes negative intent from you, do a "oh sorry that wasn't my intent" to clarify not a "sorry you feel that way" which is maybe the most stereotypical patronizing phrase in English. :(

syntaxfunction posted:

If I make a dumb thread about a subject that is covered in another subforum (like cars for example) can the mods make a sticky post in that forum telling them to come to my GBS thread and post there?

I would love to see how the anime dungeon (I forget the name of it sorry) would feel about a thread where I discuss all the narutos I've seen, stuff like that, and it might be fun to create some interforum comradery :)

It wouldn't be mean, but it would be very stupid probably.

surc posted:

I don't think it was too much to ask on it's own, although I think Douche Wolf's question about where the line is drawn on feedback after your first post to take to PMs is fair and deserved a better response too.

I can't speak for Douche Wolf ofc but to me the issue is that after the first post saying take it to PMs all of your posts saying take it elsewhere are also telling DW they're feeling wrong which if you take as patronizing instantly taints anything else in the post as patronizing and dismissive.

Karma Comedian posted:

Correct. To which I responded (bolding mine):

Which addresses their concern the best I can offer since I can't force Seth to reply, tells them that I'm not trying to make them feel any type of way by my post, and asks twice more to take the conversation elsewhere.

I don't see that connection because I'm not looking at it through your lense. I saw people arguing, I told them to make a thread about it, and someone got mad.

That's true, there's a lot of not actual feedback. Especially recently, and that's going to change.

So, that said, you can hit me up in PMs if you'd like.

rydiafan posted:

I'm genuinely confused. How is discussion of this thread and its mods not GBS feedback? Isn't this thread part of GBS?

un-useful feedback:

Spinz posted:

This is ridiculous

Mnoba posted:

what is going on in that sad thread is a much sadder pathetic version of the troubles, no one at all cares about it you can tell by the lack of posts. it's over a word and a 6'er.

Tai posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The Moon Monster posted:

Lol drat what happened here. Given how seriously some goons seem to take sixers I have to assume they spend the entirely 6 hours rapidly pacing in front of their computer, only occasionally stopping to glance at their monitor while shivering with rage.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 19, 2023

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

100% agree my dude, but exactly the opposite.

The top posts are full of overwrought esoteric run on sentences that are nearly impenetrable to understand.

The bottom ones are shitposts that are succinct and full of emotional honesty. I can understand them.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Good and bad are subjective terms with nebulous definitions depending on the reader and the context??? *Monocle flies off*

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

sure okay posted:

The top posts are full of overwrought esoteric run on sentences that are nearly impenetrable to understand.

The bottom ones are shitposts that are succinct and full of emotional honesty. I can understand them.

That's kind of mean, I was actually planning to do effortposts to try and entice other subforums around :(

I actually do think it'd be nice to have a bit of silly GBS discussion about things that get relegated to other subforums, but I'd also like to hear what they have to think :)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

sure okay posted:

i actually find them easy to understand and often using simple language. is there a specific post you want explanation on? asking in this, the thread for discussion, could be productive

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i actually find them easy to understand and often using simple language. is there a specific post you want explanation on? asking in this, the thread for discussion, could be productive

some goon upthread wanted example of sniping, well here it is

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It's lovely to try and act like this thread should be for shitposting and try and shout down people doing otherwise as bad unwelcome outsiders, because the OP written by the GBS mod is a bulleted list saying basically the opposite of that.
It happens like every page or two at most and it really fucks stuff up because a lot of the time it's to pick a fight with whoever's providing feedback and then that person ends up probed or halfway to a meltdown by the time a mod responds to their feedback.

e: vvv Agreed, but there's a whole gnarly chain of crap leading to it and I can understand being impatient when you got called a slur and feel like you've been getting treated poo poo and given the runaround since a lot more than I can understand just being a counterproductive dick (the shitposter crap).

I really wish seth would just post in and sincerely engage with the SAD thread and deal with the fact that a lot of the feedback is "people are pissed about stuff you did" or even reply in here about it, because I think that's really the crux and I agree with the stance that there isn't really a good excuse to not be engaging with feedback around his decisions when a bunch of people think he hosed up.

surc fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 19, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It shouldn't be for somebody to squat in it, demanding AN IMMEDIATE PERSONAL APOLOGY FROM THE MANAGEMENT either.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

surc posted:

It's lovely to try and act like this thread should be for shitposting and try and shout down people doing otherwise as bad unwelcome outsiders, because the OP written by the GBS mod is a bulleted list saying basically the opposite of that.
It happens like every page or two at most and it really fucks stuff up because a lot of the time it's to pick a fight with whoever's providing feedback and then that person ends up probed or halfway to a meltdown by the time a mod responds to their feedback.

This.

Mekchu, those "conversations" aren't feedback themselves. The results of the conversations are. Have the conversations. Just not in this particular thread.

It's not all that very hard to grasp.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

gbs isnt as good as i thought, lets all do better

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Karma Comedian posted:

This.

Mekchu, those "conversations" aren't feedback themselves. The results of the conversations are. Have the conversations. Just not in this particular thread.

It's not all that very hard to grasp.

So I will ask again, since in multiple instances of you talking down to people you still haven't answered: what counts as feedback, to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

So I will ask again, since in multiple instances of you talking down to people you still haven't answered: what counts as feedback, to you?

I'll tell you what doesn't: endlessly pushing for an argument over a point the mods have said not to argue over itt and offered several alternatives and given several warnings about.