Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Welcome to the latest iteration of the GBS feedback thread.

Here's your rules:

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • Assume feedback is given with positive intent, outside of obvious threadshitting situations. The opinions people provide should not automatically be categorized into "good" or "bad" feedback depending on the poster.
  • This isn't a general chat thread. Use the GBS chat thread for that. You can discuss feedback but keep it on topic.
  • No vitriolic or personal attacks. Don't attack another poster because you disagree with what they're saying.
  • Don't assume someone is your forums/posting enemy because they don't post in the same forums you do. Use the ignore button if you really cannot help yourself.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it but there's a fine line between "discussion" and "I hate this forum because x y z".
  • Everyone from across the forums at large is welcome to give feedback. Some of the best ideas can come from outside eyes. For instance, this feedback thread came from a suggestion in SAD, though I'm starting to question whether this was actually a good idea.
  • Don't threadshit.
  • Quit it with the circular arguments. There comes a point where an argument becomes a standstill and is just the same people saying the same things and no one comes into agreement. If it's over it's over. Accept it and move on.
  • Use the report button if you think someone is violating these rules.
  • This thread is not a battlefield for your forum/posting wars.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.
  • Finally, remember this is a Web 1.0 forum and a relic of an earlier age. If you log off and still are still thinking about this place or what your posting enemy said to you, reconsider your relationship with the forums.

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” - Buddha

Now, with these new rules, for the love of God may this actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
hey i like gbs

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Is it against the rules to call people autistic in this one or is that still a get out of your probe free offense?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah let's not do anything like that here, thanks

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
thank you Seth and the other mod (:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:firstpost:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Sid Vicious posted:

hey i like gbs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Buttons please

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Gbs fine. Maybe there should be a few more bans for repeat offenders but otherwise this is just poo poo stirring and then getting mad when people reply to the edit stirring.

I think our mods do a mostly good job but why is it okay for
Zeluth
Redshirt
Nom epique

To continually poo poo things up?

It's funny for a time but the rap sheet is real.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Smugworth can gently caress off to as far as I'm concerned his weekend vacation was a vacation for all

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
i think everyone who uses alcohol should have their own forum called The Tavern and they have to stay there thank yoiu

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

My feedback is that these threads are very funny and Seth plays a great straight man.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Does anyone elses weener get all hard some tines :confused:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

GBS is pretty okay overall. Better than it used to be.

I do feel like Tarquinn should feel dumb for overturning that probe because that was pretty stupid but I dunno that it needs anything more than the occasional reminder of what a bad decision that was.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Buttons please

no

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
this is the way the gbs makes me feel

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

GBS is pretty okay overall. Better than it used to be.

I do feel like Tarquinn should feel dumb for overturning that probe because that was pretty stupid but I dunno that it needs anything more than the occasional reminder of what a bad decision that was.

I feel like it's a demonstration of such poor judgement that there should be no probes or moderation from them in the future.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i think the mod "seth" should suck poopie out my drat rear end in a top hat

e: or tarquin whichever one is bad today

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

We can debate whether it's poor judgement, but I would hope that there's some grace given for people to make mistakes and learn from them. God knows I've made a ton of them

Besides the history of this site is to make fun of people forever for what they do so I think that's punishment enough

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the only punishment should be for reversing a sixer, you just don't do that

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

We can debate whether it's poor judgement, but I would hope that there's some grace given for people to make mistakes and learn from them. God knows I've made a ton of them

Besides the history of this site is to make fun of people forever for what they do so I think that's punishment enough

It was terrible judgement and they've demonstrated the opposite of understanding that they did anything wrong.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Here I'll post some feedback, hope you consider it good faith despite coming from a nefarious outsider with few gbs posts

Nearly every mod of this subforum is garbage in their role and half of you seem like garbage human beings on top of that. If you want grace and understanding for mistakes, demonstrate some change for once.

If you can't do that, get out of the way of better people. You've already got one alright mod in Solefald, you'll be able to find more.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Seth Pecksniff posted:

today i learned that "admit to a mental disorder" qualifies as "something they do"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

Here I'll post some feedback, hope you consider it good faith despite coming from a nefarious outsider with few gbs posts

Nearly every mod of this subforum is garbage in their role and half of you seem like garbage human beings on top of that. If you want grace and understanding for mistakes, demonstrate some change for once.

If you can't do that, get out of the way of better people. You've already got one alright mod in Solefald, you'll be able to find more.

How does Solefald feel about their fellow moderators abilities?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My feed back is gbbs is good

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

some feedback for everybody: maybe try being a bit less bloodthirsty? like, you show up wherever saying it sucks, the people there suck, you hate them and you want them gone and that’s the only satisfaction you’ll accept…

it’s really weird and off putting. it feels stalky. it makes posting here extremely unpleasant. if you really care so much about the health of this community please stop that

jesus loving christ. it’s horrible

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Dick Fontaine posted:

some feedback for everybody: maybe try being a bit less bloodthirsty? like, you show up wherever saying it sucks, the people there suck, you hate them and you want them gone and that’s the only satisfaction you’ll accept…

it’s really weird and off putting. it feels stalky. it makes posting here extremely unpleasant. if you really care so much about the health of this community please stop that

jesus loving christ. it’s horrible

As someone with autism I think mods deciding to look through post history and if they determine someone is autistic, give the green light to make fun of them for it is weird, off putting, stalky, and makes me want to see the other mods defending it thrown in the trash because it makes the whole site a much shittier place for everyone.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Mischievous Mink posted:

It was terrible judgement and they've demonstrated the opposite of understanding that they did anything wrong.

The moderation in GBS needs to come under the microscope. The Tarquinn debacle was the latest incarnation, but it happened earlier with CaptainSarcastic as well, who blatantly ignored an actual homophobic post until a mod who actually cared about the forum hit their buttons on it.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mischievous Mink posted:

As someone with autism I think mods deciding to look through post history and if they determine someone is autistic, give the green light to make fun of them for it is weird, off putting, stalky, and makes me want to see the other mods defending it thrown in the trash because it makes the whole site a much shittier place for everyone.

that’s a perfectly understandable way to feel, and that’s something that should be in the spotlight and should be discussed—but, all the melodrama, all of the constant screeching for this person or that person’s head isn’t helping that discussion

and that is pointed at absolutely everyone

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I do agree that rescinding the probe is bizarre even if I think it was a stupid move and not an intentionally malicious one.

The poster actually being autistic means the post was more worthy of a probe than less.

Deki fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 17, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah let's not do anything like that here, thanks

it's a good question and is also feedback for how the mods in gbs should or shouldn't do things so why is it not allowed to be discussed?

e - the 'they just made a mistake' line is a terribly bad justification and i think you know that

Dick Fontaine posted:

that’s a perfectly understandable way to feel, and that’s something that should be in the spotlight and should be discussed—but, all the melodrama, all of the constant screeching for this person or that person’s head isn’t helping that discussion

and that is pointed at absolutely everyone

'melodrama' and 'screeching' being people calling it out as a lovely decision by the mods and saying its bad to have done?

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 17, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mekchu posted:

it's a good question and is also feedback for how the mods in gbs should or shouldn't do things so why is it not allowed to be discussed?

e - the 'they just made a mistake' line is a terribly bad justification and i think you know that

'melodrama' and 'screeching' being people calling it out as a lovely decision by the mods and saying its bad to have done?

here, check this out, if I start doing nothing right now except for ranting about how you’re the worst and you need to be gone from this forum like yesterday—and then, if I just repeat that over and over again while talking in circles—that wouldn’t put you in any position to listen to me at all, would it?

e: also, i guess the same if i was totally dismissive of you here. that would be a pretty bad approach too and I’ve been seeing a bunch of that as well

also, not trying to speak for seth or anything, but it looks to me like he was saying no to more ableist insults. he can clarify for himself though because i have no reason to stand by that

TrashMammal fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 17, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also the gbs mods should actually engage with the thread about the tarquinn thing in the sa discussion subforum to hear more than things in a potential echo chamber

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Mekchu posted:

I'm not saying discussion isn't allowed. If you read the post before, it referenced whether calling people autistic in a derogatory manner is allowed in this thread and my response was no, it's not allowed and we shouldn't be doing that in here.

Mekchu posted:

also the gbs mods should actually engage with the thread about the tarquinn thing in the sa discussion subforum to hear more than things in a potential echo chamber

I would like to, but my experience in SAD has been less than stellar for the most part. I don't see how any of our presence would be a net positive for the thread, but each mod can make their own decisions.

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 17, 2023

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Mekchu posted:

Is it your genuine opinion that this is an echo chamber?

I think it was lovely to bring up another poster's mental health (not that autism implies anything negative, trying to word that as neutrally as possible), but I genuinely don't think they intended to mock DW. The post was in reply to another post about having to be fully aware of another poster's identity. He was adding another part of their identity on (as previously identified by the poster themself in the very same thread!) Still lovely and I think by the apology that the intent wasn't to mock DW. The fact that the post that scroto was replying to wasn't presented in the SAD thread is suspicious.

pacerwpg fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 17, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The post everyone is upset about wasn't even making fun of someone for being autistic, it was a response to a response to a post by Douche Wolf about not using certain words when in mixed company, but otherwise it's ok. Someone replied to Douche Wolf asking the obvious question: how the gently caress do you know which of the thousands of users here are gay and which are just edgelords when they call something gay or w/e, or who is sensitive to it and who thinks it's all in good fun?

Scroto replied to that 2nd person with a joke along the lines of how dare you not know that not only is the person gay, but also autistic -- as if we should all be referencing posters.xlsx all the time. He was quite obviously being facetious about it, and it's weird to me how many people can't seem to parse that context when they read it. It's also ironic considering the post that kicked it off was Douche Wolf chiding someone for not assuming good faith when they read something they don't like:

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

i do it by considering that some posts can be in good faith.

HOWEVER, it's undeniably weird that Scroto dug into someone's post history (i think? otherwise not sure how he knew) for a joke like that, and it's a mean thing to bring up someone's autism in a joke even if it's not meant as an insult because maybe that person doesn't like having attention called to it. And of course, reversing the sixer is an even graver sin. The first apology was also weak, but kinda makes sense if you read it as someone realizing their post came off as much meaner than intended and then trying too hard to make it clear they have nothing against people with autism.

The whole thing is embarrassing on multiple levels and probably warrants time off. If he keeps doing it, or already has a history of doing stuff like that, maybe it needs more action. In any case, the moderators are all certainly aware of it by now and can decide how to handle it. It's also dumb as hell how a subset of posters who seem to only show up in the feedback thread act like the sky is falling every time a moderator makes even the slightest miscalculation.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Welcome to the latest iteration of the GBS feedback thread.

Here's your rules:

• Regular GBS rules apply.
  • Assume feedback is given with positive intent, outside of obvious threadshitting situations. The opinions people provide should not automatically be categorized into "good" or "bad" feedback depending on the poster.
  • This isn't a general chat thread. Use the GBS chat thread for that. You can discuss feedback but keep it on topic.
  • No vitriolic or personal attacks. Don't attack another poster because you disagree with what they're saying.
  • Don't assume someone is your forums/posting enemy because they don't post in the same forums you do. Use the ignore button if you really cannot help yourself.
  • While mentioning other forums is fine, don't use this space to bash them or start interforum drama. If you want a discussion of how we interact with other forums, by all means do it but there's a fine line between "discussion" and "I hate this forum because x y z".
  • Everyone from across the forums at large is welcome to give feedback. Some of the best ideas can come from outside eyes. For instance, this feedback thread came from a suggestion in SAD, though I'm starting to question whether this was actually a good idea.
  • Don't threadshit.
  • Quit it with the circular arguments. There comes a point where an argument becomes a standstill and is just the same people saying the same things and no one comes into agreement. If it's over it's over. Accept it and move on.
  • Use the report button if you think someone is violating these rules.
  • This thread is not a battlefield for your forum/posting wars.
  • As this thread evolves more rules may be added. They'll be announced in the thread and added here if so.
  • Finally, remember this is a Web 1.0 forum and a relic of an earlier age. If you log off and still are still thinking about this place or what your posting enemy said to you, reconsider your relationship with the forums.

“Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” - Buddha

Now, with these new rules, for the love of God may this actually work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttLJNOOsPiY

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
My feedback is the mods need to look at the post history of people who post here and if their entire post history is talking about the something awful forum then just ignore them. These people are obsessed with drama and stirring up poo poo. They don't care about GBS except for it being a target for them to stir up poo poo and circlejerk over in the saga/legends thread. These people contribute nothing but negativity to the forum and their opinions on the forum are worth dirt.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Schweinhund posted:

My feedback is the mods need to look at the post history of people who post here and if their entire post history is talking about the something awful forum then just ignore them. These people are obsessed with drama and stirring up poo poo. They don't care about GBS except for it being a target for them to stir up poo poo and circlejerk over in the saga/legends thread. These people contribute nothing but negativity to the forum and their opinions on the forum are worth dirt.

I dont think that's a charitable interpretation of people who post about how they care about the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I would like to, but my experience in SAD has been less than stellar for the most part. I don't see how any of our presence would be a net positive for the thread, but each mod can make their own decisions.

it would be a net positive in that you, or tarquinn specifically, would be able to talk with people who have feedback in a 'neutral' setting. but if you don't want to but expect people to come here and risk the same thing that just happened wrt to tarquinn/dw69 etc. then idk, seems sorta silly :shrug:

pacerwpg posted:

The fact that the post that scroto was replying to wasn't presented in the SAD thread is suspicious.

there is no ulterior motives with that thread lmao

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 17, 2023