Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

The Oldest Man posted:

Probably worth mentioning that an inspection reduces the likelihood of getting hosed on this only somewhat and flippers don't need to disclose poo poo because they only own the house for as long as it takes to slap a new coat of paint and some marble counters on it

Do what the buyer of my home did: hire a structural engineer after the general inspection hinted at foundation issues. I wish I had done it when I bought the house in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

palindrome posted:

As I understand it there's a difference between having an inspection contingency in your offer, and hiring your own inspector to take a look before you offer.

Having the inspection contingency means you can walk away from the offer if the inspection turns up something you aren't satisfied with as a prospective buyer. In coastal California, I imagine buyers having their own private inspections done? Do sellers let inspectors poke around without an offer?

You're half right. It is the inspection contingency that's being waived but that doesn't necessarily mean you can't or shouldn't have an inspection done. Doing it before an offer isn't a thing as far as I know, and in a hot market even if you got permission to do it you'd never get it done before someone else got the house under offer more than likely.

I bought my current house without an inspection contingency but still had a house inspector come out, along with separate roofing and HVAC contractors. The roofer found some minor issues, the HVAC guy however discovered the 30 year old furnace was cracked and despite the lack of a contingency and an agreement the place was selling "as-is" the seller still paid out for it to be replaced since it was in danger of being red-tagged.

Laws vary around the country but at least where I'm at even if you don't have an inspection contingency you can still back away from a contract, you just lose out on your earnest money, which is customarily only 1% here. That's assuming you can't find a way to sneak out under the financing contingency. Check your local laws, I believe some places allow the sellers to sue in court to force a sale, though in a hot market that's probably not going to be worth their time and they'll just move on.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Elem7 posted:

Doing it before an offer isn't a thing as far as I know,

it is a thing, it’s a real pain in the rear end but it’s possible.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anonumos posted:

Do what the buyer of my home did: hire a structural engineer after the general inspection hinted at foundation issues. I wish I had done it when I bought the house in the first place.

in my experience "you should bring a structural engineer in here" is inspector speak for "don't buy this fuckin place"

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
You can do an inspection on a house before making an offer (if the seller aggress of course), but it gets expensive to pay for inspections on houses you'll probably be outbid on anyway.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

palindrome posted:

Having the inspection contingency means you can walk away from the offer if the inspection turns up something you aren't satisfied with as a prospective buyer. In coastal California, I imagine buyers having their own private inspections done? Do sellers let inspectors poke around without an offer?

The seller doesn't have to permit an inspection, I thought? I mean, who wants a fuddy duddy poking around what is still your private property?

An inspection contingency just gives you the opportunity to return that earnest money when bad things are discovered during an inspection.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

in my experience "you should bring a structural engineer in here" is inspector speak for "don't buy this fuckin place"

yep. they cannot say, gtfo, i think. opens them to legal risk or something.

Elem7 posted:

which is customarily only 1% here

lmao it's been 3-6% over in Chicagoland for the middle end of the market for a year. inventory dictates insanity

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

A Bad King posted:

yep. they cannot say, gtfo, i think. opens them to legal risk or something.

I had one find that the previous owner had mixed aluminum and copper wiring into the breaker along with having water ingress into the box. it’s best to be there when they inspect so they can just tell you, and they’ll tell you things they won’t put into writing. he asked if we wanted to continue at all. we had him finish but I think my words were “kill it dead.” shortly after he found foundation issues and termite infestation. it was bad enough that the sellers pulled the listing entirely after our inspection.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I had one find that the previous owner had mixed aluminum and copper wiring into the breaker along with having water ingress into the box. it’s best to be there when they inspect so they can just tell you, and they’ll tell you things they won’t put into writing. he asked if we wanted to continue at all. we had him finish but I think my words were “kill it dead.” shortly after he found foundation issues and termite infestation. it was bad enough that the sellers pulled the listing entirely after our inspection.

both old aluminum and copper? that's such a half-rear end on what previous electrician did work on that panel, and you can guess they did some expansion if they had copper wire in there. the aluminum bs is from the 1950s, when aluminum was considered a safe alternative (they learned it's not).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seller / original owner did the work, 1945 build.

Real shame it was poo poo. had a big garage /shop and beautiful lot.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

seller / original owner did the work, 1945 build.

Real shame it was poo poo. had a big garage /shop and beautiful lot.

Nice. I too enjoy drawing 20 amps of electric tooling through a metal that gets spicy hot across asbestos-impregnated cotton wire insulation.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah you have to wave inspection in the top markets to stand a chance... so you either do it yourself or bring along somebody that can do it on the spot.

From a house that sold a few blocks from me:

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 01:57 on Jul 19, 2023

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
guess I’m glad I’m not in a top market because lol not inspecting 750k home.

going to be looking at homes around Detroit metro this week to hope be in a house before school that is in between our commutes. unfortunately my spouse will be downtown and I’ll be near Oakland university which are opposite ends of the dang area.

Apr 7, 2003

One of my attic bats got into the main space. Bats!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how much are you charging him

Apr 7, 2003

I opened some windows and evicted him. Got a bunch in the attic though from the sounds of things.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Pittsburgh Bat Cloud

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

awaiting pfc rabid posting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/prouduniongnome/status/1681337337232408576?s=46&t=L9W5VGBvltc-Vd8y0AJq4w

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

landlords are the only adults in the room

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

CongoJack posted:

Pittsburgh Bat Cloud

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

my spouse who does bat rescues would own your house in a heartbeat.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ah, they cancelled "sale agreed" and went with someone else. I suppose thats how things go. :)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Real talk I hope you consider going to the doctor to get a rabies shot

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Pittsburgh Rabies Cloud

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Bar Ran Dun posted:

awaiting pfc rabid posting

how will we tell the difference?

Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

Real talk I hope you consider going to the doctor to get a rabies shot

I haven't been touched or affected by any of them yet!

Apr 7, 2003

Last night I called the PA Game Commission to report this bat in my living space and the guy I got straight up said, "yeah, we don't want to send a game warden out on overtime. Just open your windows and shoo him out!"

Apr 7, 2003

Higher interest rates don't matter if everyone's just buying in cash

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Higher interest rates don't matter if everyone's just buying in cash

Who the gd f has $340k in cash in their twenties or thirties?

You get a low interest loan from auntie and uncle hamptons summer home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you called the game commission lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

just google it on YouTube

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A Bad King posted:

Crypto, Stonk yolo, gift from parents, covid inheritance, PPP fraud, massive profit from first home if you're in your 30's, a little mix of all of the above.

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

you called the game commission lol

They're protected and it's illegal to kill them, that's what you're supposed to do and what the city animal control officers will tell you to do.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh right I forgot they are protected

Apr 7, 2003

lawyer has little respect for the law, many such cases

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

it’s his house, he’s supposed to be there!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

it’s his house, he’s supposed to be there!

bat in foreground, pfc background

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I haven't been touched or affected by any of them yet!

It doesn't matter, they can still get you without you noticing. I'm serious.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

A Bad King posted:

there's companies that will put in an all-cash offer for you and then bundle that into a mortgage for you later. it's hosed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Lacrosse posted:

It doesn't matter, they can still get you without you noticing. I'm serious.

The Game Commission called me today and told me to only call them if I find a bat in a room I've been sleeping in. lol