Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bamhand posted:

Aren't the builds that don't use cd, vuln, or crit damage actually stronger now? That's why we have all these people saying they don't notice any differences in difficulty. They're just as strong if not stronger than before!

well the skills those bad builds use are still bad so this patch i suppose buffed them slightly with a little bit of bonus damage if they even *had* any of it, altho my +stun based sorc is also worse because that one aspect nerf that can stun ranged attackers since the entire build works based off of stun damage. honestly one of the biggest things i noticed between sorc and the other classes is *how little* just flat extra damage they have on their paragon boards. like my werebear druid gets like +150% werebear and another +60 or 70 core skill damage off its paragon board, i think my sorc at the same point had +60 generic, non-phys damage and all the other stuff was poo poo like conditional stun damage, crackle damage etc. This sorc does not use vuln damage out of stubborn will not to use it, its definitely worse off for it.

also i lost a bunch of mitigation on it so really its all just a wash lmao

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

my lvl 100 sorc dies so much faster now and there are zero changes i can make to address it :sickos:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Just saw today that Blizzard’s single patch note about “improving” screen reader functionality apparently involves announcing your total health/mana on a constant repeat. Nice job guys.

Also, it’s infuriating that any accessibility changes got one line out of the whole entirety of that immense changelog.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Something insane I just realized:

The massive open world was supposed to be one of D4's defining features. The world was so big that they had to make mounts to accommodate it! And in this patch they have literally said "we do not want you to play in the open world". That's nuts.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It seems like you guys want to be killing stuff above your level. You need to think about this like WoW where you are just killing stuff 1-2 levels above you. Wanting any more than that is hubris. Also wanting to spend less time leveling is disrespectful to all the devs that worked 100 hour weeks to get this game together. If they spent the time doing it, so can you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

bio347 posted:

Something insane I just realized:

The massive open world was supposed to be one of D4's defining features. The world was so big that they had to make mounts to accommodate it! And in this patch they have literally said "we do not want you to play in the open world". That's nuts.

The open world was probably a mistake and maybe this is them acknowledging that while still being stuck with it

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

unattended spaghetti posted:

Just saw today that Blizzard’s single patch note about “improving” screen reader functionality apparently involves announcing your total health/mana on a constant repeat. Nice job guys.

lol, seriously? How does it do it? Like it just reads out numbers like '95, 90, 85' or is it a chime with increasing levels of base or something

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

bamhand posted:

It seems like you guys want to be killing stuff above your level. You need to think about this like WoW where you are just killing stuff 1-2 levels above you. Wanting any more than that is hubris. Also wanting to spend less time leveling is disrespectful to all the devs that worked 100 hour weeks to get this game together. If they spent the time doing it, so can you.

Yeah, people really need to Respect The Content

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Content Respecter is a good username

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Ehh not really. You can basically always keep killing lower level content to generate the resources to fix a character. It's not necessarily a wise use of your time, of course.

That's functionally the same thing. Take it from me, when I was new to poe I hosed up a ton and restarted because I made my character junk. And that's not even getting into learning the fundamentals of itemization, skill gems and linking, and how to best use your currency. Or even how to parse a build guide lmao

It's a tough game to onboard into and if this patch is bad enough to drive people to poe things are dire.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
nm dungeon xp buff last patch and now my build gets ultra buffed too? ohh hell yeah

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Philthy posted:

There are people posting their level 40 barbs are dying in the open world now lmao

that's nuts

dying in the open world? how could blizzard do this to us?

lol

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Stux posted:

nm dungeon xp buff last patch and now my build gets ultra buffed too? ohh hell yeah

Same, feeling strong and enjoying the future Diablo is headed towards

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Yeah, people really need to Respect The Content

But for real they spent an absolute ton of money on graphics artists and actors. That open world is huge, completely pointless and chock full of fully voiced sidequests about collecting bear asses. There's so much! Like two times that of Diablo 3 all full of tiny details for an isometric top down game. It's so bizzare.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Stux posted:

do we know if the dungeon xp buff last patch was bigger than the 20% nerf it gets this patch? i checked the notes and it just says "significant". ok cool very specific.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

whats the thought process behind the new loading screen?

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Hi guys, did they fix the game already..d2r is so sloooooow and i loving hate potions

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Displaying cosmetics you'll be able to earn in Battlepass.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Monstaland posted:

Hi guys, did they fix the game already..d2r is so sloooooow and i loving hate potions

If you mean fix like you would fix your pet, yea it's fixed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Chalks posted:

do we know if the dungeon xp buff last patch was bigger than the 20% nerf it gets this patch? i checked the notes and it just says "significant". ok cool very specific.

nm dungeon xp after the patch was roughly double

WIFEY WATCHDOG posted:

Same, feeling strong and enjoying the future Diablo is headed towards

yyyup. insane how building a char normally was the right thing to do. hope the meta vuln/crit abusers can now enjoy the game the rest of us have been playing :D

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

crepeface posted:

lol, seriously? How does it do it? Like it just reads out numbers like '95, 90, 85' or is it a chime with increasing levels of base or something

No idea. Haven’t played since the patch since I’m waiting for the dust to settle. But some visually impaired players are vocally unhappy, as they should be.

It didn’t announce totals at all beforehand so I’m guessing they were trying to improve it but the difference between a screen reader bolted onto a game and a general purpose screen reader in any OS is the fact that the user can actually dictate what’s spoken and when in the case of something built into the OS. But if I had to guess, based on how it has worked since beta is that it announces changes to health/mana totals, but the speech rate is low enough that the changes happen faster than the text to speech can speak them. Also, their TTS is hilariously rudimentary anyhow. Like if you raise the rate of speech, it also raises the pitch. That’s never been the case in any TTS product ever. So if you speed it up to avoid that problem, you’re going to be listening to a chipmunk, which, while funny, hampers the utility of the reader. I didn’t mind that before, since the info it gave was the most important info. You can get a feel for resource totals by practice without needing to see, and health already notifies you without TTS when it’s low.

No tonal changes, just a constant repeated x of y, x of y, etc etc.

This is why developers should make good use of consultants, btw. These type of things are easily avoidable if you ask the people who’ll use the tools.

Don’t mistake this for a Blizz hateffest I really don’t care if one patch sucks poo poo, but I figured I’d mention it here since something like that will go under the radar otherwise.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Hot take: playing sorc with the CDR nerf sucks bigly.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
It is kinda funny doing world bosses in wt4 and seeing ppl die again lol. Mfers were really out here sleep walking through haha

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Gonna be hype as hell to log in tonight(?) and immediately get 25 skill points and hundreds of mainstat. :woop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

American McGay posted:

Gonna be hype as hell to log in tonight(?) and immediately get 25 skill points and hundreds of mainstat. :woop:
Tomorrow.... afternoon I think? Depending on your timezone. Its only 5 skillpoints though, and 5 more when you can get back to 3 renown in each region.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Why do people keep insisting crit damage and vuln are not the best damage stat that is still mandatory if you are trying to max your damage? Do they not understand basic math or is it some kind of bit where they're pretending they don't understand basic math?

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Let druid players see their transmogs once in a while instead of staring at bear rear end

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

External Organs posted:

Just make everything multiplicative :rms:

yeah I mean the point of the game is to be baby's first simplified ARPG so the whole additive vs multiplicative concept seems out of place

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

bamhand posted:

Why do people keep insisting crit damage and vuln are not the best damage stat that is still mandatory if you are trying to max your damage? Do they not understand basic math or is it some kind of bit where they're pretending they don't understand basic math?

Half the people in the thread are doing a bit.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I believe 1PM tomorrow is S1 launch. Still have 0 idea what I want to play and going to stress about it until I roll yet another barb.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Tomorrow.... afternoon I think? Depending on your timezone. Its only 5 skillpoints though, and 5 more when you can get back to 3 renown in each region.

it's actually 10 skill points right off the start. i made a new char earlier

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I'm glad they buffed the renown gains, I still think they should have just swapped the rewards for tier 4 and 5, but making it so it'll be easy to get T5 is better I guess. It's also nice they buffed WT2. Assuming leveling doesn't feel slower and you can get into WT4 at level 60 and not 70 this should be fun. Hoping I can make some kind of autobomber necro build work. Doubt I play much past ~80 like I did for pre-season, but should be fun up to that.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Chalks posted:

theres also a flat % increase to exp gain from the seasonal path. im guessing it'll be 10% since they took that much off of the exp bonus from high level monsters.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

it's actually 10 skill points right off the start. i made a new char earlier
It is right now, but for S1 you only get to Renown 2.75 or so, per region, if you have 100% Lilith statues and map exploration. So in S1 you'll only start with 1 skillpoint per region and need to get to renown 3 to get the extra.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Another undocumented change: They added back the "reset all dungeons" button.

Kind of an odd decision to increase the leave dungeon cast by 2 seconds, but then re-enable the instant reset button.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Radical posted:

theres also a flat % increase to exp gain from the seasonal path. im guessing it'll be 10% since they took that much off of the exp bonus from high level monsters.

It's 12%.

4 ranks and 3% each.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

bamhand posted:

It's a bit. There's 4 of them and they keep saying the game's actually good. They call themselves the D4 but I don't know what the D stands for.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is right now, but for S1 you only get to Renown 2.75 or so, per region, if you have 100% Lilith statues and map exploration. So in S1 you'll only start with 1 skillpoint per region and need to get to 3 to get the extra.

aah i see

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Radical posted:

really encouraging seasonal play in the most painful way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So instead of getting 25% extra XP for killing high level enemies, I get a mere 15%? and a mere 12% from the battle pass?

Two numbers that are both smaller than 25%?

Why would they do this?