Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I went to a Best Buy 2 days ago and it was all sad and overpriced? Like you used to just be able to walk in and come out with a cheap functional laptop and now lol no. Staples was better but still bad. I ended up ordering straight from HP and saving 100bux and also actually getting the product in a timely manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Last time I went to Best Buy the salesman looked physically ill after I said I only wanted up to a 60" TV and nothing larger. It was like I pissed on Ronald Reagan's grave or something.

I told the lady at Staples that I was ONLY there to test keyboard feel and screen viewing angles and nothing else mattered. Despite not working on commission she still tried to upsell me? And their bloatware removal service comes bundled with MORE bloatware and you can't un-intertwine the two.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Desert Bus posted:

I went to a Best Buy 2 days ago and it was all sad and overpriced? Like you used to just be able to walk in and come out with a cheap functional laptop and now lol no.

I don't think this was ever true, though? I don't remember big box stores ever having good prices for low end things.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I don't think this was ever true, though? I don't remember big box stores ever having good prices for low end things.

I'm sure Covid supply chain issues are in effect but like a year or two ago I got the laptop i'm using for like 300? and now Best Buy starts stuff I might want at like 500+. Even Staples is better?

They were not ever the "best buy" but they were drat good for "fuuuuck my laptop is dead, who's gonna sell me the next cheapo TODAY." I've learned to replace poo poo before it dies, thankfully.

I went Best Buy, Staples, Amazon, and finally straight to HP. Spent far far less with a similar wait time straight from the manufacturer. (Don't judge me for HP I dunno if they're good or not but the person this is for likes their screens and keyboards).

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

There does come a time in everyone's life they need some bit of electronics now more than they need it cheap.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

That was me a while back when I bought a new CPU and Mobo without confirming the cooler would still fit and I discovered this after I had started disassembling the tower. I was surprised cause the price difference was marginal, maybe a couple bucks difference.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There's no electronics shop in my city anymore. I try and choose stuff that's not made in china. But it really kinda sucks trying to figure out where a certain device is made on online shops, rather than taking a peek on the device.

I do remember the last time i went to the local electronics store, about 10 years ago. It was pretty poo poo - i was in the market for a portable radio but they only had the most craptastic chinese stuff.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Desert Bus posted:

their bloatware removal service comes bundled with MORE bloatware and you can't un-intertwine the two.
That's the beauty of it! It's a self-perpetuating product.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I haven't been to a Best Buy in years and it looks like some of them aren't seeing much traffic as well https://youtu.be/APe2Pts6D7E

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Beat Buy is great for stuff where the price is absolutely set by the manufacturer with no variance allowed, like phones and phone accessories. For anything with a variance, head to Microcenter.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Assuming there is a Microcenter near you. It's literally a six hour drive to the nearest one for me, which is a bit far if I discover my thermal compound has dried up and I need a new tube. The nearest Best Buy is only a 50 minute drive.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Anyone been to a Petco lately or heard about them? The one by me sure seems like it's circling the drain. I was in about a month ago when I was freaked out about seeing worms in my cat's poop and wanted to get something before I could get him to a vet. Friday at 7pm, usually a busy time for retail what with people getting paid and all, and I was literally walking around the store hollering "hello?" because there was not an employee to be found.

My husband was just there today to get some aquarium sand, and he said the shelves looked barren, and he couldn't get a shopping cart because they were all full of random merchandise.

Not looking so great for that one, at least.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
our local petco is right next to the now empty bed bath & beyond and i basically never see anyone in there

i think they're on the way out here too

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

probably because petco prices are nuts

the litter / pad refills for my cat's litter box are literally 50% more at petco than walmart or online

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I knew someone who quit a Petco for a laundry list of reasons. Corporate has no perspective; they just say do more with less, run this promo with no support or reason, no one listens when someone points out an issue. This person got into it because they love animals, and Petco had a term they used called 'churn' (I think) which is if you buy 100 animals (fish, hamsters, whatever), and ten die in shipment or in-store, you have to make up the lost money on the 90 left. Corporate was constantly talking about the acceptable number of dead animals and it was just soul-draining.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The PetCos / PetSmarts around here seem to be doing ok but they have a hard time hiring and keeping groomers.

Nobody wants to work anymore for poo poo pay and bonus abuse by pissed customers

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just pouring one out here for Fry’s, RIP.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I also wonder if they're having issues with the stores just being too drat big for a pet store.

I usually go to local pet store chains sized to fit in small strip mall spots, and it's wild just how much bigger and emptier Petsmartco stores are simply because they're the size of a usual big box store but don't have enough stuff to justify all that room. Paying for all that wasted space across all their stores can't be cheap. It also means they tend to be in weird, less convenient spots(at least around here), so between that and Petcosmart being more expensive than most places, why would you go to either one?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
re: Best Buy, I know at one point they were pushing Amazon price matching pretty hard, since everybody knew that the thing to do was check out the product in person and then go home and order it cheaper on Amazon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know that Best Buy years ago said that they didn't want to be a showroom store, but when you go into a modern Best Buy that's pretty much what it is

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Anyone been to a Petco lately or heard about them? The one by me sure seems like it's circling the drain. I was in about a month ago when I was freaked out about seeing worms in my cat's poop and wanted to get something before I could get him to a vet. Friday at 7pm, usually a busy time for retail what with people getting paid and all, and I was literally walking around the store hollering "hello?" because there was not an employee to be found.

My husband was just there today to get some aquarium sand, and he said the shelves looked barren, and he couldn't get a shopping cart because they were all full of random merchandise.

I had this similar experience not too long ago, I went in there to look at fish with my kid and the store was just completely filthy and disgusting and there was random stuff everywhere. I know pre or early pandemic it wasn't bad cause it was next to my gym and I would pop in to get stuff for my dog who was still alive back then but now it's just really awful.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

Assuming there is a Microcenter near you. It's literally a six hour drive to the nearest one for me, which is a bit far if I discover my thermal compound has dried up and I need a new tube. The nearest Best Buy is only a 50 minute drive.

You poor soul...

With the Indianapolis, IN one opening, I have 2 Microcenters within an hour drive :slick: And you better believe I go to both now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

stevewm posted:

You poor soul...

With the Indianapolis, IN one opening, I have 2 Microcenters within an hour drive :slick: And you better believe I go to both now.

The nearest Microcenter to me currently is 650~ miles away. By comparison, there are 4 Best Buys within 20 miles/30~ minutes, with the closest two being maybe 10~ minute drives each.

Actually, their website says they plan to open one about 40~ miles from me in Miami next year. That said, driving 650 miles to one on Georgia would probably take the same amount of time as going down through Hialeah :v:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We had a large Fry's that looked like some kinda white person Aztec-Inca style temple. It was pretty freaking awesome exterior wise.

Most Petcos around me are poor staffed and the closest one is clean at least, but most aren't. Petsmart seems a step above but it is a small step. I think places like Walmart are just pushing them out.

I am happy Walmart no longer sells fish though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cowslips Warren posted:

We had a large Fry's that looked like some kinda white person Aztec-Inca style temple. It was pretty freaking awesome exterior wise.

Most Petcos around me are poor staffed and the closest one is clean at least, but most aren't. Petsmart seems a step above but it is a small step. I think places like Walmart are just pushing them out.

I am happy Walmart no longer sells fish though.

I think they used that Fry's exterior in Mr Robot

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

fartknocker posted:

The nearest Microcenter to me currently is 650~ miles away. By comparison, there are 4 Best Buys within 20 miles/30~ minutes, with the closest two being maybe 10~ minute drives each.

Actually, their website says they plan to open one about 40~ miles from me in Miami next year. That said, driving 650 miles to one on Georgia would probably take the same amount of time as going down through Hialeah :v:

Microcenter does pretty good online ordering, I think, and as said at least you know you're getting the genuine product. Their refurb laptops are also great when you just need something small and cheap.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Volmarias posted:

You used to be able to get some pretty crazy prices on stuff at Best Buy. The quality? Eh. But I'm talking like $90 laptops in 2015, that turned on and you could look at a web page (for about 15 minutes then everything ground to a halt but to be fair this is like half of windows laptops).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Rick posted:

You used to be able to get some pretty crazy prices on stuff at Best Buy. The quality? Eh. But I'm talking like $90 laptops in 2015, that turned on and you could look at a web page (for about 15 minutes then everything ground to a halt but to be fair this is like half of windows laptops).

oh god I remember netbooks

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

They have some kind of delivery contract through doordash. Unfortunately either the petco app doesn't have a tip slot or petco shoppers don't tip so its just a car full of heavy bags of dog food or cat litter that no dasher will take at base pay for the distance they need to be delivered, so sometimes a dasher will get a stacked petco bomb of like 30 orders for 30 dollars and its 50+ miles. Nobody in their right mind would accept it and all 30 of those orders go against your acceptance rating in the app; and you need a 70 acceptance rate to be a "top dasher" to get the juicy big tip offers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hallo spacedog posted:

I think they used that Fry's exterior in Mr Robot

They did

RIP Mobley and Trenton, you were done dirty :(

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The other problem with Microcenter, and Best Buy too, they're great for people with an actual budget for electronics. I, OTOH, have a budget more like "buy $100 SFF refurbished off Amazon, stick a $100 gfx card in it, call it a day." Much like people who drive absolute beater vehicles into the ground, looking around a car lot at new cars: man all this new stuff looks very pretty, shame my broke rear end can't afford it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I abandoned them for Chewy a couple of years ago when they couldn't keep the food or litter we had been buying for years in stock

Chewy rules but I'm pretty sure I'm destroying my local delivery driver's back

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Microcenter is what the platonic Office Tech Supply shop would look like. Not garish or loud, carpet everywhere. Dudes dressed nicely talking with a paper coffee cup in hand, amicable, knowledgeable, good mix of ages.

It's so low key and relaxing. I just wish my local one wasn't so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They Fry's in Nope was apparently already dead when they used it for filming.

That came up way back but that movie really revolves around dying businesses, every single venture that features in it is mentioned or implied to be failing. The theme park is fairly busy but mentioned to have been bought out after the last owners went broke, which isn't surprising given it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They Fry's in Nope was apparently already dead when they used it for filming.

That came up way back but that movie really revolves around dying businesses, every single venture that features in it is mentioned or implied to be failing. The theme park is fairly busy but mentioned to have been bought out after the last owners went broke, which isn't surprising given it seems to be in the middle of nowhere.

the Star Lasso Experience being so hyped by Jupe's wife (she's on the phone talking to the press) and there's maybe like 30 people who show up, and about 10 of those are employees.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Microcenter is what the platonic Office Tech Supply shop would look like. Not garish or loud, carpet everywhere. Dudes dressed nicely talking with a paper coffee cup in hand, amicable, knowledgeable, good mix of ages.

It's so low key and relaxing. I just wish my local one wasn't so far.

I genuinely enjoy just wandering around one, it's like what computer stores were in the 90s and it's just such a delight. What Radio Shack should have become.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Someone appears to be trying to short squeeze SiriusXM like Gamestop and AMC.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Based on context clues I don't think this will help any of you, but they are also supposed to be opening a Micro Center in Charlotte NC. Which is great for me at least. Technically not that much closer than the one that's currently closest to me (Fairfax VA) but it's a place I'll have other reasons to go to occasionally, and will not involve traveling out of state on I-95.

I'm glad they do not appear to be circling the drain!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ve had Sat radio for going on 20 years now and I’ll be real sad if it ever goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cowslips Warren posted:

the Star Lasso Experience being so hyped by Jupe's wife (she's on the phone talking to the press) and there's maybe like 30 people who show up, and about 10 of those are employees.
IIRC the show where they all get hoovered there was supposed to be a friend's and family kind of deal? And the employees weren't even really keyed in on what would happen?

Definitely seemed like it was a case of getting a small group to do the viral marketing stuff.