Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
hmmmm
1st Gen
2nd Gen
3rd Gen
Goku
View Results

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

.Z. posted:

Why is this not up on Spotify yet. :argh:

Album drops in 2 days :supaburn: Along with MV for ETA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

teagone posted:

Wtf Tony Leung :stare:

NewJeans got Tony Leung to be in their MV. Lmao. Amazing.

I think this is part of what I’m not digging about the new new jeans stuff. It’s a lot of seemingly just showing off their success? I mean I’m happy for them blowing up but their previous stuff had been strikingly innovative and unique, whereas now while I’m not saying it’s merit less, they’re leaning a lot more on namedrops.

To be fair their American high teen stuff was already a bit like that since debut I suppose. Maybe I just really loved Ditto in particular.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think having a narrative heavy MV that features real actors while still having the girls is cool, especially for a bside that would otherwise not get an MV from most groups.

Now if it HAD been the Weeknd instead, I'd take it all back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Koramei posted:

I think this is part of what I’m not digging about the new new jeans stuff. It’s a lot of seemingly just showing off their success? I mean I’m happy for them blowing up but their previous stuff had been strikingly innovative and unique, whereas now while I’m not saying it’s merit less, they’re leaning a lot more on namedrops.

To be fair their American high teen stuff was already a bit like that since debut I suppose. Maybe I just really loved Ditto in particular.

I think it's less them showing off their success, and instead more of them leveraging their popularity to make a strong(er) push into the western market. Maybe, I dunno. I love the MV so much though. Give me more weighty/lofty narratives with known actors in kpop MVs, lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That level of production is them absolutely flexing though, lol. Whole rear end movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Honestly I think it’s just that the MV budgets are huge now because NJ is popular and one of the things people like most about their videos is how cinematic and inventive they are. I’m sure after the videos for OMG/Ditto were a success they went back to the director and were like “alright give us some of your dream pitches for concepts/locations/collaborators” and now here we are. I think it works to differentiate themselves from their peers.

edit: I don’t think it’s a western push because in the English-speaking world only a very specific brand of hipster is gonna see a video inspired by Wong Kar-wai and go “oh poo poo that’s my jam”. This is sort of funny because before their first couple singles rocketed into the stratosphere my first thought about NJ was “oh this feels like kpop for indie music nerds,” and they’ve still kept that vibe in their music and videos even though they’re also one of the biggest groups in Asia now.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 19, 2023

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Someone here (or elsewhere) said it best: NewJeans is not the most innovative group right now, but they make current K-pop acts look dated.

With that said, the company said two global superstars would appear in their next MV. I think Hoyeon and Tony loving Leung definitely fit the bill here.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah i think someone said that in here when ditto first dropped. that it instantly made the whole girl crush aesthetic obsolete

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

yeah i think someone said that in here when ditto first dropped. that it instantly made the whole girl crush aesthetic obsolete

100% agreed with that sentiment whenever it was first made.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its funny i listened to the producer 250's album yesterday which won some awards in korea for best electronic album and poo poo and you cant really hear much of the newjeans sound in it. like it's avant garde to the degree that it isnt poppy edm, but other than that i wouldn't have thought 'oh this guy can definitely do megahit kpop'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: I don’t think it’s a western push because in the English-speaking world only a very specific brand of hipster is gonna see a video inspired by Wong Kar-wai and go “oh poo poo that’s my jam”.

Having Hoyeon in their MV as the lead seems like a big deal seeing as how she was also featured in an MV with the Weeknd. Then you also add one of the greatest working actors of all time to your MV, where gen Z will recognize him as "that dad from Shang Chi" lmao.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

teagone posted:

Having Hoyeon in their MV as the lead seems like a big deal seeing as how she was also featured in an MV with the Weeknd. Then you also add one of the greatest working actors of all time to your MV, where gen Z will recognize him as "that dad from Shang Chi" lmao.

I’m not saying they’re not big gets I’m saying getting them doesn’t feel like a push into the western market. Like honestly doing a song with Jon Batiste and JID is way more likely to catch any random American than this video is. The video is shoring up their artistic cred.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not saying they’re not big gets I’m saying getting them doesn’t feel like a push into the western market. Like honestly doing a song with Jon Batiste and JID is way more likely to catch any random American than this video is. The video is shoring up their artistic cred.

Fair points. I guess it'll be interesting to see the response to their Lolla performance next month.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

That level of production is them absolutely flexing though, lol. Whole rear end movie.

I missed this, but oh yeah, they definitely be flexing haha. I just felt that's not the only reason they made the MV the way they did, just to show off their success. But DC Murderverse made some good points. I still feel like having even just Hoyeon could be seen as part of a western market push leading up to Lolla, given how popular Squid Games was with western/global audiences. But I'm mostly just talking out of my rear end, so lmao.

[edit] The NewJeans effect

https://twitter.com/taesdawn26/status/1681708738917601280
Haha

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 19, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

That's all HYBE money right there

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

garridge and wong kar wai enjoyer reporting in

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
speaking as a remix piracy nerd, past six months have been noticeably better for my tinkering than the previous two years. 2020 ish to last year was all this 95-140 bpm midrange stuff, which is either too fast to double up into dnb (my dreamcatcher remix was actually scaled down from 95 *2 = 190 down to 180bpm) or too slow to pitchshift up. all this newjeans and even a lot of the nmixx and indie stuff is coming in with much more hiphop/2step/jungle energy which is a lot more interesting to play with DJ-wise

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont really think this is likely because no one in newjeans' demo would know who they are but i'm reminded that they've mentioned TLC a few times

edit apparently they're on the weeknd's insta story or whatever today 😒

oh i guess he was just hinting at this

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1681813890353733632

i am anticipating it will be foul lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

oh i guess he was just hinting at this

https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1681813890353733632

i am anticipating it will be foul lol

That song is, hopefully, going to be very fun.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bad Bunny and The Weeknd are capable of being fun but also capable of being dour and long, Travis Scott is mostly just the latter, I dunno how this is gonna turn out

Edit: I can get 3:1 odds on Travis saying “K, pop that dick in your mouth” or some equivalent pun

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

aespa next level is a cover of some song from the hobbs and shaw soundtrack????

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
wtf lol

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
incredible
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sDWcZA0qgnQ&feature=share

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/AboutMusicYT/status/1682047592262258689

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

In funnier news, Aespa’s new song is apparently a remix of a song from the Fast and Furious Hobbes and Shaw soundtrack that SM just bought the rights to :lol:

Where y'all been!? The original is so bad lol

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It was hyper popular right at the same time as a(n unrelated) fast and furious movie came out and there was a little burst of popularity for that (including my sister in law) in Korea simply because of the song.
It was a surreal time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a$ton wyld is a worse concept than kwangya

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I’m pretty sure the original artist sold their song to SM and worked on the aespa version

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The original More & More is a good listen too. The production is way closer than they usually are:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/1--dI_w_c_U6BE2STKmR6swADlQ2CNXzj

Kai's Rover is also almost 1:1 to the original western track

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the fx version of ariana’s boyfriend material is superior

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOTfBlKSQYY

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

🔥

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yet another good and fun track, newjeans keeps winning. nicely done with the iphone

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ASAP sounds like Aphex Twin x KPOP lmao, I love it so much.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The whole segment shifting perspective between the singers in the car was 🔥

I don't know why, but I found the short choreo that included filming the couple with the iphone hilarious.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

'shot with an iphone' yeah we can tell!!!!

travis scott track is a snooze

'asap' rocks as expected

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

.Z. posted:

I don't know why, but I found the short choreo that included filming the couple with the iphone hilarious.

This was my favorite part of the choreo, lol.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

"Commissioned by Apple"

That has to be the most expensive ad ever filmed?

Song rules, but I'm thinking this will continue the trend of the bside being better than the title. Hype Boy, Ditto, and now Super Shy.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

"Commissioned by Apple"

That has to be the most expensive ad ever filmed?

Song rules, but I'm thinking this will continue the trend of the bside being better than the title. Hype Boy, Ditto, and now Super Shy.

Probably not, the top spot is 'Chanel no. 5 the Film" with Nicole Kidman and it clocked in at $33 million (wtf) in 2004. So $53 million adjusted for inflation (seriously wtf). Though that does make me wonder who spent more this year, Dior on Flower or Apple on ETA.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

.Z. posted:

'Chanel no. 5 the Film"

"a 180-second short film directed by Baz Luhrmann"

of course. :lmao: