Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Investigation: "Multiple Glitches in [Validated Document/Form Control] System"

Specifically, it is adding and signing or N/Aing lines itself, separate from whatever the actual document user filled in. It's literally modifying forms on the fly, duplicating lines, signing them with operator e-sigs or N/Aing them.

So like, the opposite of what any validated document system should ever, ever be doing. I loving love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone want to share their work playlists?

This week is heavier spreadsheet jockeying week than usual and my music choices are getting stale. There’s only so much lofi hip hop beats to relax/study to in the world.

I listen to these about one a week (Spotify links):

SNES n Chill
SNES Metal
SNES Classic Jams

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Aphex Twin, Secret Chiefs 3 and Bonobo are my favourites for work background music. I get too distracted by anything with more vocals. I like listening to film scores as well, Clint Mansell has done some really nice ones.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This week is heavier spreadsheet jockeying week than usual and my music choices are getting stale. There’s only so much lofi hip hop beats to relax/study to in the world.

This channel:
https://youtube.com/@TheXMusicArchive

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like Tycho for chill beats and every year he does a sunrise set from burning man which is just an hour or two long mix and those are good.

https://on.soundcloud.com/S6zcG

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I started a glitch mob channel on pandora years ago and it serves as my background music channel very well

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

"Hey Siri, shuffle Tangerine Dream"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rafikki posted:

I started a glitch mob channel on pandora years ago and it serves as my background music channel very well

Oh man, the Glitch Mob is dope.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Remember those stupid delivery robots that were having traffic jams around Palo Alto a few years ago? Apparently we're going to pilot using them to deliver poo poo around campus now at work. Totally gonna ask them to validate the transit process and chain of custody so I can deliver environmental monitoring samples to Building [#] like two miles away up a hill. :v:

Gonna bet this either gets suspended really quickly, or limited to only non-critical packages and tools once people start throwing temptales and shock-monitors into the robots.

Bonus points if they get hijacked and delivered to Verily down the road.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Will send back robot messengers if you hook us up over here with cheaper bus prices. Ya'll are charging us $45 a day to use your routes 😭.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

Hey, Amgen is just another few blocks. And more likely.

Some of my favorite moments on the shuttles have been watching people with samples kicked right the gently caress back off. A Styrofoam container is NOT adequate for a biohazard in a two vehicle collision.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Will send back robot messengers if you hook us up over here with cheaper bus prices. Ya'll are charging us $45 a day to use your routes 😭.

That's horseshit and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

quote:

Some of my favorite moments on the shuttles have been watching people with samples kicked right the gently caress back off. A Styrofoam container is NOT adequate for a biohazard in a two vehicle collision.

If I had a nickel for every time I've chewed out a formulator for trying to do that, I still couldn't afford our cafeteria but it'd make a nice soundbite.

(I miss the B42 pho booth. I wish they hadn't eliminated it.)

Scrum
Dec 12, 2003

All I got for Christmas was this shitty custom title.

I throw on a Witcher 3 OST compilation on Youtube and zen out while slamming spreadsheets.

I go back to this one often when I need background noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GYL6c_GTE0

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sundae posted:

We don’t want them :v:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lotta good music ITT, thanks all.

Olafur Arnalds is my artist rec. His music is in lo-fi hip hop adjacent but more piano heavy.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

We don’t want them :v:

quote:

Hey, Amgen is just another few blocks. And more likely.

This is such a weird street. Genentech, Verily, Lilly, Merck, Amgen, Astellas, Alexion, Allogene, J&J, and like 100 little startups in the same fields all literally right next to each other. You probably could literally walk down the block and get a new job here if you didn't like your current one (and were in pharma/biotech, of course).

Also, Acme Bread sitting there in the middle of it, probably making a killing on corporate catering. :v:

E: There was also a Pfizer site too (Rinat), but Google informs me they've been closed down.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Too many bubbly summer interns at this internal networking event today. I came to eat way too much free ice cream, not to talk to you about your BS career aspirations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Too many bubbly summer interns at this internal networking event today. I came to eat way too much free ice cream, not to talk to you about your BS career aspirations.

Take pity on them for the bitter cynical husks they will one day become (like us)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Get them to join full-time after graduation. Here's a free template you can use for the pitch:

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1678294229842370561

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Trabant posted:

Get them to join full-time after graduation. Here's a free template you can use for the pitch:

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1678294229842370561

That's some pro tier lemons into lemonade work there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I worked with a person who had no filter and some of the stuff she would say was hilarious.

We held a meet and greet for prospective co-ops and she walks in the room and says "holy crap, we aren't hiring ALL OF THESE are we?!" and everyone just stared at her lmao.

Her other greatest hits include telling a coworker he has a beautiful baby and "it looks nothing like you" and telling someone anxious about layoffs "don't worry they probably don't even remember you're working here" or something to that effect. All with zero realization of what she's saying. I sometimes wonder whatever became of her, probably an executive somewhere.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

priznat posted:

I worked with a person who had no filter and some of the stuff she would say was hilarious.

We held a meet and greet for prospective co-ops and she walks in the room and says "holy crap, we aren't hiring ALL OF THESE are we?!" and everyone just stared at her lmao.

Her other greatest hits include telling a coworker he has a beautiful baby and "it looks nothing like you" and telling someone anxious about layoffs "don't worry they probably don't even remember you're working here" or something to that effect. All with zero realization of what she's saying. I sometimes wonder whatever became of her, probably an executive somewhere.

I love this lady and want to work with her

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I think I hosed up taking the title I have at work, based on job descriptions in other teams and people we have hired for them I'm starting to think I should be 3 levels higher making another 30k…

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

leverage the new title into a job at another org with appropriate compensation

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So I think I hosed up taking the title I have at work, based on job descriptions in other teams and people we have hired for them I'm starting to think I should be 3 levels higher making another 30k…

I'm having trouble coming up with any field where a $30K comp difference across 3 levels is the norm

Like, even at Walmart, even generously taking Department Manager and rear end Man as distinct levels, that would go from wage slave ($25-30K tops) to store manager ($100K-ish). You must be describing something more like seniority levels within a hierarchical level and not actual hierarchical levels?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm having trouble coming up with any field where a $30K comp difference across 3 levels is the norm

Like, even at Walmart, even generously taking Department Manager and rear end Man as distinct levels, that would go from wage slave ($25-30K tops) to store manager ($100K-ish). You must be describing something more like seniority levels within a hierarchical level and not actual hierarchical levels?

Working in biopharma, currently a Research Scientist making $120k, the positions and hires I see (Principle Research scientist) (with experience and education similar to mine) look to be starting at $160K.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

priznat posted:

I once told an executive that I’d worked with after meeting his son that he seemed very sharp and that he didn’t seem like the executive at all.

(Just meant it in terms of personality/approach but oof.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I’d probably figure out how to spell the title before I went banging on about how I should have it.

In all seriousness I’d be somewhat suspicious about just cross shopping based on job descriptions, which are notoriously vague and awful. Education and years experience are also not the end-all-be-all of a job’s requirements. Since you’re already in the org you should try to find out whether the job expectations and duties are the same as yours. You can of course always go outside to find a job you think is at an appropriate level and that will probably be your best course of action if you think you are under titled and paid.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

Back on music chat, I have a playlist centered around Balkan Beat Box and Beats Antique and it slaps for data science / coding work.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

You need to figure out how titles map to level at your org. At mine the principal scientist is a level 6 role, and they make a lot more than $160k.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
One of the project managers in another department died over the weekend. He was mid 40s, had a heart attack.

His employee termination notice came through with a note to not attempt collection of his laptop immediately. I assume to leave his family alone about unimportant stuff. At least somebody in HR is smart enough about that.

poo poo sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Guy Axlerod posted:

One of the project managers in another department died over the weekend. He was mid 40s, had a heart attack.

His employee termination notice came through with a note to not attempt collection of his laptop immediately. I assume to leave his family alone about unimportant stuff. At least somebody in HR is smart enough about that.

poo poo sucks.

I still read things like that and it takes me like, 30 seconds to realize "hey, I'M mid 40s!!!" and then get a mild panic

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I had a coworker die and the company named a meeting room after him

The ultimate indignity

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Deadite posted:

The ultimate indignity

I would haunt the gently caress out of that room and anyone in it

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Deadite posted:

The ultimate indignity

I also worked at a place that did this! It was before I started working there, but still. If I die on the job do not name a conference room after me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

dxt posted:

I also worked at a place that did this! It was before I started working there, but still. If I die on the job do not name a conference room after me.

Wish granted. This is now the dxt memorial janitorial services nook.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Deadite posted:

The ultimate indignity

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for "in memoriam of X who hated this room and everyone in it".

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I would be cool with them naming an extra luxe private bathroom in the workplace after me

The Priznat Memorial Crapatorium

I would also haunt it

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Volmarias posted:

Wish granted. This is now the dxt memorial janitorial services nook.

Someone might use that for something productive like storing toilet plungers, so significant step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Although everyone making the same joke about my ghost being the reason our crappy AV doesn't work for decades would bring me some solace.