Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

From the Randomwaffle thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

The one that confuses me is "owns a flashlight". I'd have figured just about everybody would have at least a cheap one rolling around in the junk drawer; it never struck me as a particularly white thing to have.

It's for when we go downstairs to investigate what that noise is instead of turning all the lights on, getting in the car, and driving thirty-five miles the gently caress away

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Based on the highest numbers being clustered around the rate of white people in the U.S., I don't think this chart is listing anything like "predictive capability" whatever that means. I think it is just listing the percentage of each ownership group that are white i.e. If someone owns a pet in the US in 2016 there is a 63.4% chance they are white.

This is of course a terrible way to display the data for the point they are trying to make. Whether these numbers make for strong indicators doesn't depend on the raw numbers listed; it depends on how far those numbers are above or below the (unlisted) proportion of whites in the general population.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Agnostalgia posted:

Based on the highest numbers being clustered around the rate of white people in the U.S., I don't think this chart is listing anything like "predictive capability" whatever that means. I think it is just listing the percentage of each ownership group that are white i.e. If someone owns a pet in the US in 2016 there is a 63.4% chance they are white.

That’s basically what predictive capability is. If someone has a pet, there is a 63.4% chance that they are white. Owning a pet is 63.4% predictive of whiteness.

(I wonder if this will convince my wife to let me get a kitten.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if the predictive capability is basically the same as the demographics, doesnt that also mean that if you have a random black person and a random white person, they are equally likely to own a pet?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Agnostalgia posted:

This is of course a terrible way to display the data for the point they are trying to make. Whether these numbers make for strong indicators doesn't depend on the raw numbers listed; it depends on how far those numbers are above or below the (unlisted) proportion of whites in the general population.

Predictive capability is relevant twice. First in the measure. There's no need for prediction if you have a true census on a matter. By census, I mean you measure the item of interest on every target of the survey. Example, how many people at a hypothetical high school are taller than 5 ft by measuring the height of each person.

Checking the washing machine status of every white American is a labor intensive task probably not worth the immense cost and probably isn't feasible. Hiring enough people to check every squarefoot of America for both white people and washing machines would be costly, and there are plenty of places where you may not have permission to check. So you take a survey by selecting what is hopefully a random representative sample and then using that to predict the value for everyone. So if I somehow achieve a true random and unbiased sample of people, the "expected value" of that sample is equal to the total proportion of people. But it's only a prediction. To demonstrate, imagine if you only asked one white person whether they have a cat. Now imagine the answer is yes. If we extrapolate that data to a ratio of all people, then we can conclude that 100% of white people have cats. Probably not true though, so you need to achieve a sufficient sample.

This is where the weird stats backwards speak. What's a sufficient sample? Well you want to show that a null hypotheses is extremely unlikely. This is calculated by determining how many samples you need for the probability that 'this is just a fluke' falls beneath your acceptable significance level (α). But at the end this is just a prediction about the true proportion.

So in statistics it's decided how many white people own a cat by determining how likely that some measure of white people with cats was an exceptional circumstance, then drilling the exceptionality of that circumstance to the extreme.

Interpreting data then is also making predictions. How does knowing that 40% of white people own cats help me solve a problem? If I want to know how many cat owners are in a room of 100 white people, I can use that statistic to make a prediction. If I actually know about those specific white people, then why do I care about the stat? The value of the stat is to use prediction so I don't have to measure or for when I can't measure. There may be some unusual edge cases where this isn't the case, but the vast majority of interpretations are just complicated and obfuscated* versions of this.

*much like my posting.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

(I wonder if this will convince my wife to let me get a kitten.)

Do you really think "this will make me more like a white person" is a great argument for anything?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

BonHair posted:

Do you really think "this will make me more like a white person" is a great argument for anything?

"Rescuing a cat isn't the worst reason to ascribe to genetic determinism," is a technically true statement

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Can someone explain how predictive capability is calculated?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if it's not bayesian surprise/information entropy calculated in shannon bits, i'm not interested

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Unironic support for frequentism. None of the people using bayesian analysis are producing anything useful for daily thinking.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
What was the original version of this "stop doing ______" thing?

e: by which I mean, what was the first one?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

credburn posted:

math was the first one

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Goat posted:

math was the first one

But how would you know that, without math :confused:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

Fingers

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Captain Hygiene posted:

"YEARS OF COUNTING" is great because they are really underselling how long humans have been counting. But to provide a larger and more accurate number, they would have to go beyond ten fingers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

jjack229 posted:

"YEARS OF COUNTING" is great because they are really underselling how long humans have been counting. But to provide a larger and more accurate number, they would have to go beyond ten fingers.

Years can mean anywhere from 2 years up to infinity years. That's not really underselling

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

CainFortea posted:

Years can mean anywhere from 2 years up to infinity years. That's not really underselling

It is because saying "30,000 years" would be more impactful than a vague "years", which is usually used if the number is small, otherwise "decades" or "centuries", etc would be used.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jjack229 posted:

It is because saying "30,000 years" would be more impactful than a vague "years", which is usually used if the number is small, otherwise "decades" or "centuries", etc would be used.

If I didn't know better, I'd say there's humor intended somewhere.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

loving inferior English language that only has one plural form instead of like 5

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

If I didn't know better, I'd say there's humor intended somewhere.

Tbf there are flat earthers out there so the "math isnt real" guy very well could exist

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jjack229 posted:

you're who the picture is warning us about

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbf there are flat earthers out there so the "math isnt real" guy very well could exist

His name is Terrence Howard

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

I will never not take the opportunity to point out that one of these guys was prime minister of Australia

Malcolm Turnbull posted:

The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Keep arguing with a meme, you're winning.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

credburn posted:

stop doing linear time

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

CainFortea posted:

What, do you say 'one and a half year'?

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Scarodactyl posted:

What, do you say 'one and a half year'?

A year and a half. :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've lived here for 0.000000042 years

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

‘Over a year’

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

goblin week posted:

stop doing linear time

Start doing linear crime

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

don't do the linear crime if you can't do the linear time

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OwlFancier posted:

don't do the linear crime if you can't do the linear time

So that's why the Bajoran Prophets exist outside of time -- they're just avoiding prosecution.

Wormhole? More like loophole

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's certainly all true.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Blue whale vs Vatican City

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Blue whale vs Vatican City?!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I get that's the size of the impact crater, but how does it scale with height?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Whale-sized Vatican city vs Vatican City-sized whale