Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Basic services, such as private banks for millionaires.

I can understand why Elon Musk would be worried about banks no longer offering services to "pedo guy"s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
So this two child thing, what if your second kid ends up being twins or more? Do you have a Sophie's Choice to make?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol hadn't thought of that. What if you get triplets on the first go?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I believe the official guidance in those cases is 'go gently caress yourself'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

quote:

You can get extra Universal Credit for your third and subsequent children if they are born as part of a multiple birth, apart from one child in that birth. This means the exception applies to the additional children in that birth.

For example, if you’re already getting additional amounts of Universal Credit for 2 existing children, then you have twins, we’ll pay an extra additional child amount of Universal Credit for one of those twins (meaning that in total you’ll be entitled to an amount for 3 out of your 4 children).

Where the first child of the multiple birth is either the first or second child in the household, we’ll pay a child amount for all the children born as part of the multiple birth.

Just a bizarre amount of paperwork to avoid "we will pay x amount per child, to look after the child."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It should be like speeding, where of you say it was one continuous speeding offence rather than separate ones you only get once. Continuous babies

Edit. Ok it is like that. Good. Makes sense

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

What about Boris? If you keep having just two children with endless women they all get it?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

smellmycheese posted:

Congratulations to posters Guavanaut and Betjamen!!!!!

Yeah hooray inflation is down to only 7.9% so you're now getting poorer more slowly than before.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Congratulations to posters Guavanaut and Betjamen!!!!!

Has anyone pointed out yet that halving the current rate of inflation would still be ridiculously high and a massive problem?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Eh, 4% inflation is higher than the economist ideal of 2%, but given that inflation eats away at the value of assets now and your current purchasing power, there's an argument that higher interest rates give less power to Capital and big business, and as such it's better to sustain a higher rate than the chicago school think.

Not attached to this opinion but I don't think all interest=bad.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i would rather get exploded in a nuclear holocaust than know about inflation or whatever

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Eh, 4% inflation is higher than the economist ideal of 2%, but given that inflation eats away at the value of assets now and your current purchasing power, there's an argument that higher interest rates give less power to Capital and big business, and as such it's better to sustain a higher rate than the chicago school think.

i think it helps that 2% is so little that you can boil the frog, but 4% is quite noticeable and labour relations will quickly deteriorate with strikes etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Do any of you remember what TV channel Batman.The Animated Series aired on in this country back in the '90s? Because I was trying to work out earlier today why I never watched it as a kid and so I'm just assuming it was on Sky One or some other satellite channel. Cartoon Network maybe?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Yeah, it was on Cartoon Network.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I always assumed it was a US only thing but that explains why I assumed that.

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I mean I guess, but that doesn't help people magic the £500-£1000 out of their rear end per month to cover increases in mortgage payments or rent.

We used to track with the US, Biden's already got them down to 3% with 5.25% interest, and we're still up at 7.9%. The UK is uniquely poorly governed, the Tories have no clue or no desire to fix things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They fix things, just not for us.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

forkboy84 posted:

Do any of you remember what TV channel Batman.The Animated Series aired on in this country back in the '90s? Because I was trying to work out earlier today why I never watched it as a kid and so I'm just assuming it was on Sky One or some other satellite channel. Cartoon Network maybe?

This blog post suggests ITV but only up until 1995.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Tories and fixing things go hand in hand

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jel Shaker posted:

i think it helps that 2% is so little that you can boil the frog, but 4% is quite noticeable and labour relations will quickly deteriorate with strikes etc

Also worth noting is that a basic pension might track at about 3% interest, so if normal inflation is 2% then it seems better, but if it's 4 or even 8% then, well, better hope that the state implements Quietus before we get old

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It was on ITV on Scratchy & Co on Saturday mornings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It was on ITV on a show called What's Up Doc? (which as far as I'm aware was the home for a lot of Warner Brother's based content on Saturday morning.)

I remember this as I didn't have ITV at home, but it was on my Uncle's home. And I recorded two episodes off the TV. It was the first Batman episodes broadcast in the UK. And it was the Cat and the Claw Parts 1 and 2. (Which is like the 10th episode in the production/US broadcast order, but it had Batman AND Catwoman in it, so it was a good episode to introduce British Audiences to the Batman series after Batman Returns was so fresh in people's minds.)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Batman chat:
When I was about 6 or 7, I was glued to the old Batman tv series with Adam West and Burt Ward as Robin.
I told my parents I was going to build a bridge to America (eat your heart out Boris - my bridge-building ambitions were much bigger than yours) and go & marry Robin.

Narrator: Reader - she didn't.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This is rather special

https://twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1681756923589283842

:allears:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

I've been trying to think through the optics of this: why bother doing this, who is it supposed to influence? and can't answer my own question.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's just a very easy political stunt. They're hammering the message that labour is in cahoots with jso and xr, and eventually the papers will also just start talking about it as if that's just a fact.

There are a significant number of British people who loathe protest or disruption of any kind, so this tactic is aimed at them.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

Also worth noting is that a basic pension might track at about 3% interest, so if normal inflation is 2% then it seems better, but if it's 4 or even 8% then, well, better hope that the state implements Quietus before we get old

I thought the Tripple-Lock meant that pensions go up by the same as Average Earnings, Inflation or 3% - whichever is higher ?

So when inflation was low, pensions went up in real terms, and now they keep track with inflation

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Grant Shapps is a profoundly stupid man.

Surely someone looking after him must have thought this was a bad idea?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

It's just a very easy political stunt. They're hammering the message that labour is in cahoots with jso and xr, and eventually the papers will also just start talking about it as if that's just a fact.

There are a significant number of British people who loathe protest or disruption of any kind, so this tactic is aimed at them.

That and it will provoke Starmer to come out even more authoritarian towards Just Stop Oil and other protesters, and the ‘political consensus’ will continue to drift to the right.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Perfect Element posted:

those two 17 year old students who meekly whispered to keir that maybe he should stick to his green policy’s instantly turned into hardcore climate protesters by the media

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Noxville posted:

That and it will provoke Starmer to come out even more authoritarian towards Just Stop Oil and other protesters, and the ‘political consensus’ will continue to drift to the right.

In a just world, Labour would do the mirror image of the Matt Bors "might as well" Nazi. "Well you're going to call us far left climate extremists anyway" (unshaves head)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Renfield posted:

I thought the Tripple-Lock meant that pensions go up by the same as Average Earnings, Inflation or 3% - whichever is higher ?

So when inflation was low, pensions went up in real terms, and now they keep track with inflation

Sorry, I meant a workplace pension, should have made that clear! The triple lock is the other insane side of the coin.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Big News

https://twitter.com/theurigeller/status/1681764508723716103?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i would rather get exploded in a nuclear holocaust than know about inflation or whatever

"I'd rather perish in flames than understand the basics of finance" is exactly the sentiment I'd expect to see from someone who drives a Tesla, but please don't take the rest of us with you.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

In an effort to remove all credibility, whenever a Labour MP gives a statement on TV or radio, they will now be dubbed over with a voice to make them sound like Kier Starmer.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Big if true

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

An unpleasant grifter. :commissar:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He has a signed yogurt pot full of Donald Trump DNA.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh my GOD!

KEIR STARMER PUT poo poo IN MY PANTS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

In Ireland it was shown on RTE 'The Den' (their CBBC version).