Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

gooncorn

cute little cornime characters

cowboy corn

stylish corn

joyful corn harvest in traditional corn harvesting outfits

cornshimitsu

singin in the field

corn minion

stills from the book of cornon

various cornbots

yasai sentai tomorokoshiseirenger

also, here's some daft punk super sentai / power rangers

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1681352904152850437

hey look at that wow

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Loving the grandma monster images :lol:

Also looks like Trey and Matt are out of a job now, :rip:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 19, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I...do not like some of their intentions. Making 'living' ai and making them live reality TV shows? Am I understanding that right? Or do they mean like the sims level of 'living'?

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

As a proof of concept, it's interesting (and terrifying) enough.

To me, this stretches the definition of 'entertainment' as it stands currently. Ultimately, I think it has the same issue at its core that a lot of these infinite Seinfeld, How Its Made, DBZ, and AI Jesus type streams popping up on twitch have: the writing is stiff and unnatural, and the amusement factor comes from the AI screwing up or coming up with something bizarre to spout off.

Give it another year and AI script generation will probably improve on how natural the dialogue it generates will feel, right now it just doesn't seem to be quite up to par. I can't really imagine anyone relying on AI for more than outlining / proofreading and editing tasks with what's publicly available right now.

It feels kind of like anyone using these tools for creative tasks on their own without supplementing the AI with related skills (programming, audio mixing, digital image / video editing, and general writing ability) isn't quite understanding what AI is truly useful for at the moment or is vastly overestimating what the tools are capable of on their own.

I'd say that AI tools get you like ~75% of the way to a finished product (which is an incredible achievement), but they still mess up enough that you need human skill involved, be that script editing and/or audio mixing for flow for dialogue, image editing to fix hallucinations (too many fingers, bad text, etc), or troubleshooting code to get it the rest of the way to the end goal, whatever that may be for your project.

I'm kind of glad that's the case, even with how unbelievable and useful the progress made on AI generative works has been in the past year or two. I can't say I look forward to the day that AI is capable of fully creating art that removes the human creativity factor entirely.

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 19, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I...do not like some of their intentions. Making 'living' ai and making them live reality TV shows? Am I understanding that right? Or do they mean like the sims level of 'living'?

:confused:

Their intentions are clearly to "write, animate, direct, voice, edit" a show for you with generative AI via a prompt. The tech is already here, shows typically have a quite predictive structure, people like the same sort of things they already like, it's inevitable. It's just merging a bunch of technologies already here into a single system. You can use the text LLMs to write episodes, you can use the image ones to make images and videos, you can use the voice ones to voice them, and while I'm not aware of an edit AI that can really just be fed back into a tuned text one and do it by that. I'm simplifying the reality of it but the structure is clear.

The 'episode' is just a showcase of where the technology is right now, which is what I (and many others) have been claiming is going to be an end result to all this, prompt -> show or movie. South Park is probably easy because it objectively looks bad and is simply animated making it less apparent that there is almost no actual animation happening in the clip.

I agree with you in that a human tweaking the outputs will yield the better results, but I know it in my heart of hearts that this tech will be pushed out in professional situations immediately. We already have advertising campaigns for stores and things with clearly AI images what with kids with 6 fingers, we already have Disney using it to generate show intros, we've even got lawyers using Chat GPT in real actual law things.
No proof reading, no editing, nothing. Just shove it out there, who gives a gently caress.

Actual artists can use this stuff and go to truly unique places, any studio or firm or whatever else that wants to make money will absolutely not take care with it and will pour out the slop without a care if they think they can get away with it. It will be bad, weird, incoherent, but they don't care otherwise they wouldn't already be making stupid mistakes like they have been.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 19, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

KakerMix posted:

:confused:

Their intentions are clearly to "write, animate, direct, voice, edit" a show for you with generative AI via a prompt. The tech is already here, shows typically have a quite predictive structure, people like the same sort of things they already like, it's inevitable. It's just merging a bunch of technologies already here into a single system. You can use the text LLMs to write episodes, you can use the image ones to make images and videos, you can use the voice ones to voice them, and while I'm not aware of an edit AI that can really just be fed back into a tuned text one and do it by that. I'm simplifying the reality of it but the structure is clear.

The 'episode' is just a showcase of where the technology is right now, which is what I (and many others) have been claiming is going to be an end result to all this, prompt -> show or movie. South Park is probably easy because it objectively looks bad and is simply animated making it less apparent that there is almost no actual animation happening in the clip.

Later down the twitter thread

https://twitter.com/fablesimulation/status/1681352907785134080?t=ZuR4oYea-lveV6oUFC9lgQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/fablesimulation/status/1681352909131481089?t=mJlT2pbYeLXuhOGlfkTRVw&s=19

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

oh lol what the gently caress lmao, I don't twitter so I wouldn't be able to see any of that. Yeah, I'm with you that's a, uh, strange tact to adopt.

The gently caress is it with people trying to make AIs anything more than what they are which is just another tool?

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

The Sims 5???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So how is the southpark thing different than the steamed hams twitch, aside from the fact that any jokes about jews would be intentionally included?

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

KakerMix posted:

No proof reading, no editing, nothing. Just shove it out there, who gives a gently caress.

I take solace in the fact that companies using these tools right now are suffering for it, maybe it'll dissuade them in the short term from diving in fully.

I know Disney used AI for the intro to Secret Invasion, and that looks pretty dated already. The show itself has been pretty weak (as most Marvel properties seem to be in the past few years...) and ratings are low as I understand the situation. Not sure the extent to which they've used AI behind the scenes there otherwise, but it might explain a bit of why it's been a pretty weak showing. Maybe the association with the AI-generated intro on its own is generating some distaste for the show. Anecdotally, people seem to have a pretty viscerally negative reaction to AI-generated anything.

Can only hope that this negative response to AI in media will remain the trend and that people will continue to critically pan anything utilizing AI in egregious ways, because it just isn't up to task on its own currently, and it's important that creative jobs continue to be a thing.

I don't doubt we'll start to see some low-bar-reality-tv-level AI-generated entertainment creeping into media in the future, especially in light of the ongoing strikes, hopefully it just stays in its own corner for people who want to pursue it instead of creeping into everything else.

I can be hopeful, right? :(

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 19, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Soulhunter posted:

I take solace in the fact that companies are using these tools right now and suffering for it, maybe it'll dissuade them in the short term from diving in fully.

I know Disney used it for the intro to Secret Invasion, and that looks pretty dated already. The show itself has been pretty weak (as most Marvel properties seem to be in the past few years...) and ratings are low as I understand the situation. Not sure the extent to which they've used AI behind the scenes there otherwise, but it might explain a bit of why it's been a pretty weak showing. Maybe the association with the AI-generated intro on its own is generating some distaste for the show. Anecdotally, people seem to have a pretty viscerally negative reaction to AI-generated anything.

Can only hope that this'll remain the trend, that people will pan anything utilizing AI in egregious ways critically, because it just isn't up to task on its own currently.

I don't doubt we'll start to see some low-bar-reality-tv-level AI-generated entertainment creeping into media in the future, especially in light of the ongoing strikes, hopefully it just stays in its own corner for people who want to pursue it instead of creeping into everything else.

I can be hopeful, right? :(

I understand why people are doom and gloom about the AI stuff, really. I'm still convinced it will, inventiably, have a good effect on humanity because it's forcing everyone to confront a lot of ugly things people have been ignoring for a while. Income inequality, capitalism itself, power dynamics, union setups, labor, all that. People want things to go back to how they were before, even though it sucked huge rear end, because it was what they knew. It's different now, this tech exists and it will never, ever go away so they blame that instead of the real stuff, income, unions, etc. Going to bat for Disney indirectly because some guy won an art contest with MidJourney even though Disney is betting they can outlast the strikes and AI has a huge part of that.
I think what these huge media companies are doing, jumping right into Ai to try to steal even more money, will be what really harms their grip. I've already talked about it in the thread before but imagine you have this tech, this south park thing. If you can type in a prompt and get a milquetoast and passable show out of it, with whatever you'd like, why would you pay Disney to get the same level of content since they do that already?

The old ways are dead, and that includes the status quo and there is no reason it will stay as it was before.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

on the topic on industry marching forever onward, here's a bunch of not-Metropolis

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I appreciate the paper mentioning the slot machine effect. Reading it helped me realize why AI video drives me up the wall. With still images, I get 4 results in MJ right away, and I accept the randomness as part of the process since it's fun to be inspired by the random stuff and use it for design or story ideas. With video it takes longer, gives one result at a time, and there's no input during the process. I can't just tell the figure in the video "No, move this way, walk over here." AI video makes me feel helpless.

It's been interesting to use AI video results to make little character bio things, but that's like making a documentary. I just want to film scenes from a script to tell a story.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Well there is the method of using controlnet to create video by generating each frame in the sequence of movement. The trouble with that right now is "latent flickering" between frames, although some people have used Davinci's de-flicker filter to help alleviate the effect.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I am in no way anti-AI, but this pisses me off. Did they ask Matt & Trey, or Comedy Central for permission to use the South Park IP?

quote:

The Project is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or connected in any way to the creators, producers, or copyright holders of "South Park," the Cast, or any related parties. All intellectual property rights, trademarks, and copyrights associated with "South Park" remain the exclusive property of their respective owners.

No. I hope they get the gently caress sued out of them. There's literally no reason to use actual South Park other than hype. They could have made "North Field" with a paper animation style and it would have been fine, but they intentionally ripped off someone else's brand. AI developers are getting more and more cavalier about this and I want them to get slammed hard for it. If I wanted to demo my new video game engine that has nothing to do with AI and I used South Park IP, I would get rightly nailed for it. This is no different. I've been sticking up for developers, but the more it comes out that they are just grabbing everything they can regardless of if they have rights to it is putting a big ol' black eye on the technology. There's a reason why ethical teachers won't just photocopy copyrighted material - because it's infringement. I am not seeing the difference with these companies just scraping everything and training on it. (yeah, blah blah, museums, but there's a difference between public display and using pictures and text without permission to specifically to build a commercial or non-commercial product. yes, I am flipping on this mostly because of how egregious it is/was.)

The Little Computer People / Sims aspect of the technology is pretty sweet, though. Good on them for that.

Soapbox time: Regardless of copyright, and as impressive as it is that South Park episode is loving boring (insert South Park zing here). I believe that this generation of :airquote: AI :airquote: will be incapable of making anything moving, emotional, funny, or even interesting for the same reason that formulaic or trick method human writing, isn't interesting or original. It relies solely on past work, and injects almost nothing of the creator's unique experiences and emotions. The bots have no emotions, and it's silly to expect them to make something emotional in turn. Do sociopaths write compelling fiction? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it. It seems to be that the human race's crowning achievement in artificial intelligence is nothing more than an enormous and intricate Mad Libs engine.

Re: Video I'm not sure the technology will produce smooth animation the way it's done right now. I'm sure it can be done, but regenerating each still from scratch isn't going to produce that. Just like human animation, the program has to be able to take subjects, objects, and background from the initial image, and then change the images for movement or new details that are revealed only. It can generate new material when panning, or whatever, but you're always going to have that kind of Rotoscope effect by generating every frame every time.

Maybe the technology is already doing that, but I haven't seen it.

Content tax:
Warhammer 40k

Corn for the Corn God!

Colonels (sic) in the US Corned Forces

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Man, I sure hope he never hears about team four star.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Doctor Zero posted:

There's a reason why ethical teachers won't just photocopy copyrighted material - because it's infringement.

Less with your larger point, but literally every professor I had in college a decade ago told us all to pirate our books and they passed out materials for people who didn't know how. Little community college in the south, but still a branch of the state school.

I think it was more ethical the professors were heavily advising us not to get raped by the text book companies and doing what they could to avoid it, personally. Like I said, little to do with your larger point regarding AI but that part stood out to me.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 19, 2023

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Hmmm I think it's time to clear out my SD image output folder. 52000+ images and windows Shell Infrastructure Host is taking up 20+ GB ram by having the folder open

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

KinkyJohn posted:

Hmmm I think it's time to clear out my SD image output folder. 52000+ images and windows Shell Infrastructure Host is taking up 20+ GB ram by having the folder open

Just compress it to a zip file and shove it to a USB drive. You might not care too much about any single image but even recently I've had fun going back and looking at some of the images I AI generated even a 1-2 years ago. See what it was good at, what it was bad at. I remember things about the day I generated it and so on. It might be nice, I mean I purge absolute bullcrap trying to figure things out sets if I think of it but in the end who cares it's a small amount of storage space.

It might be fun in 10 years to go through your folder and go oh yeah we did make grandmas knitting portals to Hell! That was weird.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 19, 2023

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

No. I hope they get the gently caress sued out of them. There's literally no reason to use actual South Park other than hype. They could have made "North Field" with a paper animation style and it would have been fine, but they intentionally ripped off someone else's brand.
conspiracy time: matt and trey are in on it. twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/KojimaErgoSum/status/1681576008963751936
also matt and trey own deep voodoo which is all about AI and deepfake stuff. it's not like they're anti-AI.

matt and trey actually tried to help out early PC modders to make south park stuff but Comedy Central sued the modders. helping a company make unauthorized south park stuff would not be out of character for them

Roman fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 19, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Doctor Zero posted:

Soapbox time: Regardless of copyright, and as impressive as it is that South Park episode is loving boring (insert South Park zing here). I believe that this generation of :airquote: AI :airquote: will be incapable of making anything moving, emotional, funny, or even interesting for the same reason that formulaic or trick method human writing, isn't interesting or original. It relies solely on past work, and injects almost nothing of the creator's unique experiences and emotions. The bots have no emotions, and it's silly to expect them to make something emotional in turn. Do sociopaths write compelling fiction? I honestly don't know, but I doubt it. It seems to be that the human race's crowning achievement in artificial intelligence is nothing more than an enormous and intricate Mad Libs engine.

Re: Video I'm not sure the technology will produce smooth animation the way it's done right now. I'm sure it can be done, but regenerating each still from scratch isn't going to produce that. Just like human animation, the program has to be able to take subjects, objects, and background from the initial image, and then change the images for movement or new details that are revealed only. It can generate new material when panning, or whatever, but you're always going to have that kind of Rotoscope effect by generating every frame every time.

Maybe the technology is already doing that, but I haven't seen it.

Your point about emotions and experience and all that is a load of bunk, and I mean that in the way that even if you are 100% correct and right, objectively, it doesn't matter.

People aren't unique or as subtle as we all want to believe. A person, sure, but the lowest common denominator, no. People like the same boring rear end stuff. Disney produces carbon copy super hero star wars slop to make money. Sharknado and cocaine bears aren't memed about for their artistic merit, it's a popularity contest. Entertainment IS a mad libs engine with AI or not. Executives that run for-profit entertainment companies are sociopaths without emotions otherwise they wouldn't crush unions or actors or vfx artists or writers or oh what's that there is an unprecedented strike right now? Oh.

An artist will make emotional things like always, just like they use film and dark rooms and their hands and colored pencils, so too will they use any other new tool that comes about.

Most of the time people want to be entertained and that's the lowest minimal line. Cruise youtube or tubi or Netflix or etc for what's popular and see for yourself. The human element is in there but it ain't required for popularity and hasn't for a good long while.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

KakerMix posted:

I understand why people are doom and gloom about the AI stuff, really. I'm still convinced it will, inventiably, have a good effect on humanity because it's forcing everyone to confront a lot of ugly things people have been ignoring for a while. Income inequality, capitalism itself, power dynamics, union setups, labor, all that. People want things to go back to how they were before, even though it sucked huge rear end, because it was what they knew. It's different now, this tech exists and it will never, ever go away so they blame that instead of the real stuff, income, unions, etc. Going to bat for Disney indirectly because some guy won an art contest with MidJourney even though Disney is betting they can outlast the strikes and AI has a huge part of that.
I think what these huge media companies are doing, jumping right into Ai to try to steal even more money, will be what really harms their grip. I've already talked about it in the thread before but imagine you have this tech, this south park thing. If you can type in a prompt and get a milquetoast and passable show out of it, with whatever you'd like, why would you pay Disney to get the same level of content since they do that already?

The old ways are dead, and that includes the status quo and there is no reason it will stay as it was before.

I think you kinda hit the nail on the head. If these tools can "democratize" creativity then why the hell do we need corporate monstrosities like Disney to create our entertainment for us? They barely have any original ideas left anyway.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I think you kinda hit the nail on the head. If these tools can "democratize" creativity then why the hell do we need corporate monstrosities like Disney to create our entertainment for us? They barely have any original ideas left anyway.

Princess and the Frog was the last traditional animated Broadway Disney movie we got and it still kills me they stopped doing those.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
It's like the infinite monkey theorem, but it turns out AI is the monkey. The next challenge, after these tools become more capable of producing polished work, will be to create a system to actually separate the wheat from the chaff.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

It's like the infinite monkey theorem, but it turns out AI is the monkey. The next challenge, after these tools become more capable of producing polished work, will be to create a system to actually separate the wheat from the chaff.

That second part is easy! Just hire like 10,000 people and have them watch the videos and rate them! Surely they wont start developing a weird injoke sense of humor that only makes sense if you've watched all the bad ones that were never publicly released.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

pixaal posted:

That second part is easy! Just hire like 10,000 people and have them watch the videos and rate them! Surely they wont start developing a weird injoke sense of humor that only makes sense if you've watched all the bad ones that were never publicly released.

*me watching the latest Marvel movie without having seen any of the others or any of the shows on Disney+*
Wait, who is that?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Less with your larger point, but literally every professor I had in college a decade ago told us all to pirate our books and they passed out materials for people who didn't know how. Little community college in the south, but still a branch of the state school.

I think it was more ethical the professors were heavily advising us not to get raped by the text book companies and doing what they could to avoid it, personally. Like I said, little to do with your larger point regarding AI but that part stood out to me.

I've had two professors who would only refer us to other works instead of copying them. Not textbooks, but regular books. One was an art professor, and I can't remember the others. I'm sure that 99.9% of professors don't give a poo poo of course.

KakerMix posted:

Your point about emotions and experience and all that is a load of bunk, and I mean that in the way that even if you are 100% correct and right, objectively, it doesn't matter.

People aren't unique or as subtle as we all want to believe. A person, sure, but the lowest common denominator, no. People like the same boring rear end stuff. Disney produces carbon copy super hero star wars slop to make money. Sharknado and cocaine bears aren't memed about for their artistic merit, it's a popularity contest. Entertainment IS a mad libs engine with AI or not. Executives that run for-profit entertainment companies are sociopaths without emotions otherwise they wouldn't crush unions or actors or vfx artists or writers or oh what's that there is an unprecedented strike right now? Oh.

An artist will make emotional things like always, just like they use film and dark rooms and their hands and colored pencils, so too will they use any other new tool that comes about.

Most of the time people want to be entertained and that's the lowest minimal line. Cruise youtube or tubi or Netflix or etc for what's popular and see for yourself. The human element is in there but it ain't required for popularity and hasn't for a good long while.

You're sort of making my point for me. I agree, none of that will matter to a lot of people, and that's very sad. And yes, artists will use AI to make awesome things, I also agree. I mean that I don't believe the technology use today is able to to make anything with impact other than "LOL look at what dumb thing it did." And that is because it has no concept of emotions or experiences. I'm not sure if a truly creative AI will need to experience emotions, but it will at least have to understand them in context, which Chat-GPT and the like are not currently capable of. Right now as it stands it generates 'horror' by imitating the 'average' horror story which will never produce anything brilliant, except by accident.

Of course, that means we all have to sit back and watch actual creative people impacted by the race to maximize shareholder returns.

Content:
Movie exec explaining how AI is good for Hollywood

Movie exec watching the world burn

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 19, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Doctor Zero posted:

I've had two professors who would only refer us to other works instead of copying them. Not textbooks, but regular books. One was an art professor, and I can't remember the others. I'm sure that 99.9% of professors don't give a poo poo of course.

And now the big LLM thing is tokens, oh boy TOKENS. Dump an .epub textbook into https://claude.ai/chats and ask it whatever you'd like and it will pull any and everything from the data you gave it. 100,000 token vs. the 8,000 or whatever for means it doesn't forget like other LLMs, not nearly as soon. This Claude one is the first one to clear such a high token limit but it certainly won't be the last. Practically you can have it run a single player RPG-type thing, even though it is really more of a collaborative fiction but it is fun. And with the token limit it just doesn't forget. Who was that person you met 20 days ago in universe? The thing knows, remembers, and keeps it in memory all the details and will use that to write new stuff with it. Or use it to write a book report. Whatever.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Doctor Zero posted:

There's literally no reason to use actual South Park other than hype.

wrong! SP has an enormous amount of cookie cutter content to train AI on, the voices, the animations, the plotlines, whatever you want, there's 30 seasons of it. also at this point SP produces the show like a well oiled machine, I think the AI creators are signaling to shows like that "hey we have tools we know you want to use."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Doctor Zero posted:

You're sort of making my point for me. I agree, none of that will matter to a lot of people, and that's very sad. And yes, artists will use AI to make awesome things, I also agree. I mean that I don't believe the technology use today is able to to make anything with impact other than "LOL look at what dumb thing it did." And that is because it has no concept of emotions or experiences. I'm not sure if a truly creative AI will need to experience emotions, but it will at least have to understand them in context, which Chat-GPT and the like are not currently capable of. Right now as it stands it generates 'horror' by imitating the 'average' horror story which will never produce anything brilliant, except by accident.

You seem to think, and maybe this is a soul/afterlife/something more debate outside of funny AI things, that there is a special human thing that you have to put into the creative process for it to be real. I'd argue that there is nothing special or greater or anything that AI can't do, there is no ~human element~ that can be baked into experiences be they music, movies, shows or novels that make it 'true'. The human element comes from experiencing the things be it alone as, or with a group of humans, that then needs context in with which you experience the art. Something made by AI isn't excluded from doing that because there is nothing to exclude. We don't have a social immune system that requires x amount of human participation in the creation of a memory because it's always 100% human since we are the ones that look/listen and feel this stuff. poo poo like Pareidolia cements this in my mind. We'll humanize anything.

Take South Park. Everyone had that kid that thought their Cartman impression was perfect and would always do it and no, it hosed sucked and gently caress that shut the gently caress up Jeff :argh:. That aspect, that cultural weight, that wasn't built into the show itself, it's a part of the reflective experience of, well, consuming that show. Or for me personally, Garbage 2.0, that album will always be tied to a specific summer where my friends and I got our licenses and were able to drive for the first time. It could have been any album, but it was that one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

KakerMix posted:

You seem to think, and maybe this is a soul/afterlife/something more debate outside of funny AI things, that there is a special human thing that you have to put into the creative process for it to be real. I'd argue that there is nothing special or greater or anything that AI can't do, there is no ~human element~ that can be baked into experiences be they music, movies, shows or novels that make it 'true'. The human element comes from experiencing the things be it alone as, or with a group of humans, that then needs context in with which you experience the art. Something made by AI isn't excluded from doing that because there is nothing to exclude. We don't have a social immune system that requires x amount of human participation in the creation of a memory because it's always 100% human since we are the ones that look/listen and feel this stuff. poo poo like Pareidolia cements this in my mind. We'll humanize anything.

Take South Park. Everyone had that kid that thought their Cartman impression was perfect and would always do it and no, it hosed sucked and gently caress that shut the gently caress up Jeff :argh:. That aspect, that cultural weight, that wasn't built into the show itself, it's a part of the reflective experience of, well, consuming that show. Or for me personally, Garbage 2.0, that album will always be tied to a specific summer where my friends and I got our licenses and were able to drive for the first time. It could have been any album, but it was that one.

Yes, and no. I'm saying that the current generation of AI is incapable of doing this because it has no concept of emotional context, and it never will unless the model is somehow trained on that. I agree that the human element of experiencing the art is critical, but I feel it's both on creation and on experiencing the art that it works best. The best art is produced when there is emotional context on both ends of that equation. There is a difference between something written 'from the heart' and tapping into memories and emotions and something that's just written to be written. Writing classes teach this all the time, and I've experienced it myself.

I'm not saying that what generative AI makes today can't be appreciated. I'm saying that if you want to have an AI write genuinely moving prose, it will need a much different model than what is used today, if it can be at all. If anything, I want to read emotional writing written by an AI that understands emotional context but is vastly different from a human being - it's liable to be really interesting in the same way that fiction written in other cultures and languages are - like if we could understand Dolphin poetry.

I think we may be saying the same thing from different angles.

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

"What the - I didn't have any corn..."

All of yours in this set are cool, these three are my favorites from the group. Extremely My poo poo.

Rudy returns to The Bog:

Whole bunch of masked murderpeople:

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 19, 2023

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Doctor Zero posted:

I am in no way anti-AI, but this pisses me off. Did they ask Matt & Trey, or Comedy Central for permission to use the South Park IP?

No. I hope they get the gently caress sued out of them. There's literally no reason to use actual South Park other than hype. They could have made "North Field" with a paper animation style and it would have been fine, but they intentionally ripped off someone else's brand. AI developers are getting more and more cavalier about this and I want them to get slammed hard for it. If I wanted to demo my new video game engine that has nothing to do with AI and I used South Park IP, I would get rightly nailed for it. This is no different. I've been sticking up for developers, but the more it comes out that they are just grabbing everything they can regardless of if they have rights to it is putting a big ol' black eye on the technology. There's a reason why ethical teachers won't just photocopy copyrighted material - because it's infringement. I am not seeing the difference with these companies just scraping everything and training on it. (yeah, blah blah, museums, but there's a difference between public display and using pictures and text without permission to specifically to build a commercial or non-commercial product. yes, I am flipping on this mostly because of how egregious it is/was.)

I agree in principle, but also gently caress South Park. They probably just used it because it's a very cheap and emulatable art style, but if they used the Simpsons and that's what finally killed the Simpsons I wouldn't be complaining (at least right at that very moment) lol

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
Reminder that we have a thread over at D&D dedicated to AI discussion, might be a good place to take some of the deeper musings

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Yes, and no. I'm saying that the current generation of AI is incapable of doing this because it has no concept of emotional context, and it never will unless the model is somehow trained on that
There is a difference between something written 'from the heart' and tapping into memories and emotions and something that's just written to be written. Writing classes teach this all the time, and I've experienced it myself.

i used to work for a branch of ABC, and while i was not personally involved in the research department, i went to a bunch of presentations by a SVP who was in charge of "futurism" or some bullshit like that. one of the things he talked about was how they have these labs set up where they have people come in and watch and episode of tv, while they record and scrutinize that person's facial expression, track their eye movements and so on. part of this is gauging basic attention span during the show vs. during ads, or testing out the degree to people will engage with various tie-in apps on a phone or table or whatever while watching a show, but also a big part of it is just gauging emotional reaction to the content and attempting to come up with some way to quantify that. i think it is only a matter of time before they figure out how to use that kind of data when they are having AI create fiction or other media. obviously an AI cannot directly "tap into" anyone's memories or the roots of their emotions, but assumptions can be made about the kinds of memories and emotional reactions people might have based not only on the minutae of their facial reactions but also their demographic info and the content that people are constantly putting out about themselves on social media.

like, watch this scene in MadMen where they come up with the pitch for the slide carousel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq3n2sJ43Hg&t=176s

a huge part of social media is essentially this concept turned up to 11, and made public, so now there are several massive piles of data that documents the emotional reactions people have towards all kinds of content, whether its from their own lives or from fiction or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

spotted in the wild

i like how it clearly sampled Captain Britain during generation