Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, thirding the "don't do it at annual review" message. I'm sitting in a job where we were all promised annual reviews upon hiring to this small not-quite-a-startup consultancy, but they've failed to materialise in the 1-3 years that we've all been working here. Since I was hired on the pay for my field have left UK rates and approached parity with the rest of the world, so that basically means we've all found ourselves 50% underpaid basically overnight. Company is in the process of being told to pay us all better or cease existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is that including holidays? Canada’s different but for us we have 25 PTO days plus seven holidays plus the week between Christmas and New Year off. I think it’s 20 PTO days for staff below manager.

It was excluding holidays.

Countering didn’t result in any kind of improvement to the financials but they gave me another week of vacation. So 20 days of PTO+ holidays and some floater days that aren’t contractually guaranteed but have been part of the comp for a while. Not ideal but matches what I already have so whatever.

All told I’m increasing my base salary by 70k and getting an associate partner title (even if it’s a bit of title inflation and probably a lateral from where I’m at, I don’t care I’m still happy with the title).

I’m pretty loving pumped. Never say the number first.

Now to turn my brain off and forget about it until I’m ready to give notice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Congrats. The title is important in this business. Money helps, too.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

ARCDad posted:

I did some research and found out that I am paid about 10 K under the average salary for someone in my position in my state and nationally with my experience. I want to bring this up to my boss but I’m not 100% sure how/when as I just got my 5% raise a few months ago.

I have no desire to leave my company as I have done very well here and they are very flexible with great benefits, but I do know that I want to be compensated fairly.

I get my semi annual review in two months, so I was thinking of bringing it up then and bringing a bunch of data as to what I have accomplished.

I’ve looked on Glassdoor and that gives me an idea of the salary I would like. Are there any other sources I should look at before I bring this up? I assume I should come with numbers and accomplishments as well?

I'll reply with more of a 10,000 foot view of the info given through years of reading this thread -

Negotiating is based on leverage. If you genuinely have no interest in leaving your current job, then you have none at all. Asking for a raise from a current employer is not really negotiating at all - it's begging for money.

Your current company may prefer running itself into the ground than paying market wages at this time, unfortunately.

Others have mentioned it, but asking for this cash comes at some risk. The further you are from the top of your company wages, the lesser the risk. I can't imagine you being marked for replacement by getting a salary bump that puts you in the middle of your department.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

81sidewinder posted:

Negotiating is based on leverage. If you genuinely have no interest in leaving your current job, then you have none at all. Asking for a raise from a current employer is not really negotiating at all - it's begging for money.

This is pretty much true. I've posted it practically verbatim several times in this thread. A touch of nuance is worth adding: when you ask for a raise, you might not explicitly say so, but your employer will implicitly understand "...or I'll look elsewhere" to be appended to it. Which is why it's rational for them to regard you as a Flight Risk thenceforward and take steps to protect themselves from being caught out by your resignation. Which is a factor you should consider when deciding whether or when to ask for more money. It's generally not a good idea to do it if the implied BATNA of finding another job is a bluff.

Another thing to consider is that if you ask for more money, they say no, and you don't resign, then even if they don't push you out the door later, they will assume forevermore that they own you. Also not a great place to be.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 17, 2023

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I was referred to a position by a friend, then a recruiter replied saying:

recruiter posted:

Thanks for your application/submittal for Cybersecurity Engineer with xyz bank! In hopes of moving you forward in consideration for the role, I’d like to confirm what your salary target is so that we can determine if this job (at least initially) aligns with what you are seeking.

While we don’t share xyz bank pay ranges, I can share that this role is salary plus a considerable, yearly bonus target (15% ++) plus a strong benefits package including Medical/Dental/Vision/401K/Pension. If interested, take a look at our benefits site.

Please let me know specifically what you are targeting and hopefully we can continue you moving forward in the process.

How do I respond here? I do care about the person who doing the referral and not making em look bad, but uggghhh :fuckoff: tbh this already feels like a non transparent hiring process and it's not exactly a great first impression either

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

air- posted:

How do I respond here? I do care about the person who doing the referral and not making em look bad, but uggghhh :fuckoff: tbh this already feels like a non transparent hiring process and it's not exactly a great first impression either

"I'm looking for market rates. I expect you calibrate salary bands regularly. Does your compensation plan include equity?

Let me know when you're able to schedule the next call. My availability for the next two weeks follows:
..."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"While I don't share desired salary ranges, I can share that I have a record of being a high performing employee and would expect an above average compensation package. If interested please feel free to give me a call during XYZ days/hours."

The expected value of the bonus is $0 unless your friend has information to assure you the targets are actually achievable. I would go back to him for more information on how good their compensation actually is. But my response to that email would be pretty curt. "I'm potentially interested in the position, but I'm not going to pin myself down on compensation before we've gotten to talk about the position in detail. I would be available to schedule a call at XYZ dates/times" and leave it at that. If it's a cheapskate company trolling for a sucker they'll probably sever immediately. But it could just be an HR drone doing what HR drones do.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 18, 2023

Mantle
May 15, 2004

"I don't have a salary target when I'm interviewing companies because my biggest concern is finding the right cultural fit."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

leper khan posted:

"I'm looking for market rates. I expect you calibrate salary bands regularly. Does your compensation plan include equity?

A cyber security engineer is never getting equity at a bank.

Eric the Mauve posted:

The expected value of the bonus is $0 unless your friend has information to assure you the targets are actually achievable. I would go back to him for more information on how good their compensation actually is. But my response to that email would be pretty curt. "I'm potentially interested in the position, but I'm not going to pin myself down on compensation before we've gotten to talk about the position in detail. I would be available to schedule a call at XYZ dates/times" and leave it at that. If it's a cheapskate company trolling for a sucker they'll probably sever immediately. But it could just be an HR drone doing what HR drones do.

I wouldn't be curt, but I'd say the same things. "I am looking for market rates but my salary needs will depend on benefits, team fit, position, etc".

Ideally though, use your friend and try to narrow down their ranges. You have potential to anchor to a high but reasonable number using that inside information. That is better than not saying a number, but it requires you to have that inside information. If you can get it, use it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I like Eric's response here. It's not rude nor unprofessional but it does also kinda throw that bullshit back in their face. If they get pissy about it or make it a requirement to move forward, then it's more of a red flag, and I'd say I expect above market rates and won't be discussing salary further until I know the extent of the total compensation package and receive an offer.

I'm kinda split on anchoring high even if you have the salary info from your friend. If they are trying to be strict on their pay bands, it might knock you out of the process too early before the hiring manager has a chance or desire to push back on HR about bringing you in at that rate. Not at all saying it's the wrong move, just a consideration.

Side note, don't lump all of us together with those recruiting Martians. While several of us HR people are raging alcoholics, those folks are a whole different mess of lovely. I've successfully pushed for pay transparency and increased comp for everyone at my last two companies, because it's ethically correct and also makes better business sense.

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 18, 2023

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The expected value of the bonus is $0 unless your friend has information to assure you the targets are actually achievable. I would go back to him for more information on how good their compensation actually is. But my response to that email would be pretty curt.

Lockback posted:

Ideally though, use your friend and try to narrow down their ranges. You have potential to anchor to a high but reasonable number using that inside information. That is better than not saying a number, but it requires you to have that inside information. If you can get it, use it.

Agree on all that and I've reached out to my friend to at least get a ballpark range - ideal outcome is to anchor high, but I honestly have no qualms severing either cuz yeah, you can't redo a first impression

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Parallelwoody posted:

I like Eric's response here. It's not rude nor unprofessional but it does also kinda throw that bullshit back in their face. If they get pissy about it or make it a requirement to move forward, then it's more of a red flag, and I'd say I expect above market rates and won't be discussing salary further until I know the extent of the total compensation package and receive an offer.

Side note, don't lump all of us together with those recruiting Martians. While several of us HR people are raging alcoholics, those folks are a whole different mess of lovely. I've successfully pushed for pay transparency and increased comp for everyone at my last two companies, because it's ethically correct and also makes better business sense.

While you work in HR, I like to think you're one of the few, the proud, the HR people who aren't drones.

But yeah valid point, there doesn't even have to be an HR drone behind this. It may just be a lovely recruiter doing what lovely recruiters do. But often in these cases the recruiters do this because they know the company is looking to pay below market and don't want to waste their time on candidates who know what they're worth.

P.S. I usually don't advocate severing. It's better to clearly communicate that you know what you're worth and intend to get it, at which point the companies who aren't interested in paying what high performers cost will do the severing.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 18, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Parallelwoody posted:

I'd say I expect above market rates and won't be discussing salary further until I know the extent of the total compensation package and receive an offer.

I'm kinda split on anchoring high even if you have the salary info from your friend. If they are trying to be strict on their pay bands, it might knock you out of the process too early before the hiring manager has a chance or desire to push back on HR about bringing you in at that rate. Not at all saying it's the wrong move, just a consideration.

If you get knocked out because you anchored high-but-within-pay-band you're going to get knocked out for saying "I want above market rates".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

air- posted:

I've been in that situation before where a friend referred me for a job, and after the recruitment process the company decided they wanted to illegally hire me as an unpaid intern instead. The HR person gave me all the information I required to prove that it was illegal to do this and would be committing social welfare fraud, leaked personal information about the previous unpaid intern they'd had doing the job, and ended by flat out asked to think of my friend's reputation when I was turning them down. I pointed out that he'd already told me of their plan and I had said they shouldn't bother calling me if they were going to ask me to break the law.

Turns out she sat right beside my friend, and on seeing her shocked expression at me hanging up before she further incriminate herself and the company he said "told you" and went back to work :v:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

As someone who works in the IT security department of a large financial institution/bank you may be dodging a bullet.

We haven’t hit target bonus in the time I’ve been here either. The bonus is way better than my last job, but we also have a 15% target and last 2 years have been around 13%. Not a big deal, I don’t count on it, but they do make it seem like a sure thing when you get hired and it’s not.

I’ve had worse jobs, but the bullshit that comes with working at a bank is significant.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Thread success story time! Kind of!

We got our flat mid-pandemic when London rents were wildly depressed by a tenth of the city loving off home to their parents. Landlord wanted to raise the rent by about 35%, we checked the market rate for similar properties in similar areas and countered at 15% increase, which he has accepted. Wouldn't have managed to do that without the thread's advice. Thanks goons!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Update: the recruiter replied with a range and I guess onward to the interview process

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

lol I love it!

Recruiter: we don't share ranges, how much money do you want

Candidate: yeahno not gonna do that. range or gtfo

Recruiter: ok here's the range

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Some stories that really help illustrate the principle of why it's not good to say number first unless you know your value

It's easy to underprice your product (2009) - https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36776939

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's nothing wrong with just saying "Thank you for the offer but we're so far apart I feel it would be unproductive to continue. All the best of luck filling the position (you're going to need it)"

Call back to this since I may have to play this card.

Just got an offer. Technically more money than I make now, if you ignore the ~30% COL difference. Functionally would be a drop of around 15%, on top of ripping my life up to move.

The title isn't even an improvement (although the actual job description is equivalent to the next step up where I am now).

Oh and it's also an increase in days-in-office for me.

So even just the minimum of what I'd expect to say yes to is basically guaranteed to be outside of their range, let alone a number that Id be comfortable negotiating down from.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Personally I'd still practice and counter and just see what happens. Maybe they move your title up, maybe they decide they like you enough to not require the relo, who knows? You already did the hard part and you have them in the best position. Sure, 80% chance it goes nowhere, but you spent all this time, whats spending time on a few emails and maybe a couple calls?

If nothing else negotiating and walking away is better practice than just walking away.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

That's not a bad point, especially since this is not an area of experience for me.

Im having a lot of trouble even thinking about how to approach it given how one-sided it is. But that just proves your point I think - I could use the practice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd probably say the offer is lower than you expected especially given the higher responsibility. You'd be willing to take XX and think the next level may be appropriate.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I would just shoot for the moon. Introspect, figure out how much money you would need for this to actually feel like a win and have you excited to move to another city, and ask for 30% more than that and see what happens.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Jenkl posted:

That's not a bad point, especially since this is not an area of experience for me.

Im having a lot of trouble even thinking about how to approach it given how one-sided it is. But that just proves your point I think - I could use the practice.

One useful metaphor: You're playing poker, but the only bets you can lose are a potential employer's attention. Right now you've got the attention, but don't want the job, you can:

- Continue playing hands with a bankroll that you presently value at $0.
- Let the convo go cold and do nothing to improve yourself and your game with a free bankroll that has no value for you.

Play the hands out and get practiced at asking for big stuff.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Negotiation Thread: range or gtfo

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Had two recruiters reach out to me last week; I did better with the first than the second (I think?)

For the first one, I managed to coax the range out of him and while the upper end is only 11% higher than what I make now, I responded with "I think there is probably room to find something mutually agreeable at the upper end of the range" figuring that if everything goes well and they really like me, I can see what options are available at that time once I know the full compensation package.

During the second one, he managed to coax a number out of me; I tossed out a number about 24% higher than my current salary and he was like "Uh is that base or total comp, base + bonus?" and I said I was flexible on that depending on the bonus structure, etc. He came back the next day and said that number scared the company off. He then went on in a confidential tone about what they're looking for and what they're willing to pay may not exist. But he might have been bullshitting me too for all I know. Whatever, zero emotional reaction from me - which was funny because he was trying to make me feel better about it and I was just like "eh, lemme know if something that might be a better fit comes along, have a good weekend".

In the meantime, someone at my current employer reached out to me to gauge interest in a lateral move that would have me go from a Tier 1 city to gently caress Nowhere, Flyover. "But, relocation isn't offered and the expectation is that the role is on-site . . . ". I'm very proud of myself for not laughing out loud on the call.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I work in an organisation that pays quite significantly different amounts in different countries. Which is fine, everyone knows the rules. About a month ago I had this conversation.

HR: Hey, would you be happy to move to country X (40% pay cut after tax)? Your team mostly work there so it would be really convenient.
Me: Hey! No. Thanks!
HR: Why not?
Me: I don’t have to give a reason. The answer is no.
HR: OK. So that’s a maybe?
Me: It’s a no.
HR: OK.
Me: When I joined I was actually partly induced to sign by the promise that you would move me to country Y (25% pay raise after tax).
HR: So you want to move to Y?
Me: Nope. I like being here and my family is here and it will be a massive pain to move anywhere else. But if you insist on me moving there you have to pay me the uplift.
HR: OK.

It struck me as a very pointless conversation. But why on earth would HR think it was a good idea to float a move I was obviously going to say no to? There’s no business pressure to move and I would have to have been an idiot to agree.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Bringing up the move to country Y seems like it was pointless why did you do that

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To throw out a "You said you'd pay me more" just to scare HR off for another few weeks?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The business does still want me to move to country Y at some point. I’m not keen and I don’t want HR claiming that I requested the move.

E: I mentioned it at all because of the sheer absurdity of having the same individual in HR trying to induce me to join one day by waving the comp uplift for country Y and then turning around the moment I’m through the door and Just Asking Questions about how I would feel about relocating to country X. It doesn’t seem to be a real request and has now disappeared, but it was an odd conversation.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 22, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

A draft:

Hello [HR PERSON],

Ive reviewed your tentative offer and am excited at the prospect of working with [COMPANY], but feel we have some ground to cover to find an agreeable compensation package.

A base salary of [OFFER * 1.40] would appropriately reflect the increase in responsibilities, number of days required in office, and higher cost of living.

Further, I would request a title that reflects the level of responsibility, e.g. [TITLE I WANT].

Thank you for your time,
Jenkl

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Jenkl variation posted:

Hello [HR PERSON],

I’ve reviewed your offer and am excited to join [COMPANY] for the base salary of [OFFER * 1.40] at the title of [TITLE I WANT] to match the outlined responsibilities.

Thank you for your time,
Jenkl

I’d probably go with something slightly less apologetic like this and not give them any extra ammunition.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

That wouldn't be ammunition and HR laps up stuff like that. Remember, you have to work there for potentially years. Keeping a sunny, positive disposition is a really good idea.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I agree with Lockback. The original looks good. Always nice to attach pleasantries to significant demands. "...feel we have some ground to cover to find an agreeable compensation package" in particular is a nice tough-on-the-problem, soft-on-the-people approach.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have been interviewing for a new job at my current company. It's a promotion in level and will be heading up a new clinical development team.

I've been selected for the position and the recruiter has shared the offer. It is not a huge jump in salary, 10% over my current base. Bonus increases from 23% to 25%, and stock grant increases by 60%, vesting over 4 years as usual.

I'm already well compensated and my organisation (for my reports at least) tends to ensure pay is fair across people at the same level. More money really just means more retirement savings.

Clearly I have no real BATNA apart from refusing the promotion or leaving or something.

What's the play here? "I'm happy to accept for a salary of [115%]"?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

knox_harrington posted:

I have been interviewing for a new job at my current company. It's a promotion in level and will be heading up a new clinical development team.

I've been selected for the position and the recruiter has shared the offer. It is not a huge jump in salary, 10% over my current base. Bonus increases from 23% to 25%, and stock grant increases by 60%, vesting over 4 years as usual.

I'm already well compensated and my organisation (for my reports at least) tends to ensure pay is fair across people at the same level. More money really just means more retirement savings.

Clearly I have no real BATNA apart from refusing the promotion or leaving or something.

If you want more money, wait a year or two then find another role at the same level.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

Yep, a counter is the next step. 15% of my bare minimum if EVERYTHING is equal, so if you like your current job I'd want more than 15%. I don't quite parse how much more the stock is, but that does help. I'd probably counter more like 125% of your current salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lockback posted:

Yep, a counter is the next step. 15% of my bare minimum if EVERYTHING is equal, so if you like your current job I'd want more than 15%. I don't quite parse how much more the stock is, but that does help. I'd probably counter more like 125% of your current salary.

This is an internal transfer / promotion that they applied for and want. I don't think any attempt will succeed, but you can certainly attempt. I would be modest with my attempt.