Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

RocketRaygun posted:

- Luke Smith

Stories can be made "not done" whenever they want. Yeah, I HIGHLY doubt that Bungie is bringing back SIVA for the last expansion of their massive Light and Darkness arc. but lets not take anything they say at face value here lmao.

We should all be reminded of when Bungie took a one note lore blurb (albeit an interesting one) and stretched it out enough to be the central story hook of a season AND expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

So you don't really need to run multiple pieces to get leaves, for a crucible match you get 4 leaves with 1 piece, 4 leaves with 3 pieces, and 5 leaves with 5 pieces.

However you 100% want to make a full loadout of solstice gear to switch to right before bonfire finishes, because it appears to be multiplicative, with 1 piece giving you about 20 ash up to around 100 ash if you have 5 pieces.

Do you know if they have to be this season's armour or does any solstice (or even ornaments) work?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
You need the current Solstice armour as far as anyone can tell, ornaments are confirmed to NOT work.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is Alters the fastest/easiest way to get leaves? I did one yesterday with the full armor set on and got at least 5 stacks of 3-6 leaves when complete.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

That’s the exact same method as the previous glitch so there’s probably something fundamentally wrong with mod handling and it’ll take a bit to fix

Greetings, Guardians!

We've been having a rather troublesome time pursuing the root cause of an issue with uncapped levels of player fun. While we work to figure this out, we've disabled all exotic perks and all non-seasonal artifact mods.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lib and let die posted:

Greetings, Guardians!

We've been having a rather troublesome time pursuing the root cause of an issue with uncapped levels of player fun. While we work to figure this out, we've disabled all exotic perks and all non-seasonal artifact mods.

A retro launch D2 weekend would be fun to remember where we came from

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm still sad they never brought back lasertag, even just for a weekend :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Whether we wanted it or not, a war with the Cabal iirc

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rocket_Magnet posted:

I'm still sad they never brought back lasertag, even just for a weekend :(

They sorta tried with Telesto last year and it was one of the worst received things in franchise history for reasons I'm still unsure of.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MJeff posted:

They sorta tried with Telesto last year and it was one of the worst received things in franchise history for reasons I'm still unsure of.

The Telesto thing during Season of Plunder felt in bad taste because it came at a time when the game was exceptionally bad with bugs (what’s changed? :v:) but the hate it got was pretty outsized.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

MJeff posted:

I imagine it was a similar reason to how Bastion got such a vitriolic response back in year 3 - Bungie basically can't do anything surprising or secret without people expecting it to be more than it is.

Back when the corridors of time came out Bungie had a zero announcements of it leading to anything specific. When people twigged to the fact that it was a secret community event that needed a huge amount of player coordination to collect information and essentially map a giant maze everyone was certain, just based on the time and effort involved, it was leading to something huge. It actually lead to Bastion, an exotic already listed in the roadmap, releasing like two weeks early. No one was pleased.

Similarly I'm certain someone at Bungie thought it would be fun to have Telesto, poster boy for breaking their game, take over the Bungie social media for a weekend and give everyone an overpowered weapon to play around with. But because it was secret and unannounced people got lost in their own heads thinking about what it could mean when it didn't mean anything, and then were angry when that proved correct.

Ironically they just tried this again with the new exotic scout rifle and IMO actually got it pretty close to a good stealth release - no announcement, but easy to figure out, and a decent combat challenge. Unfortunately the weapon launched undertuned and so people complain about that and how it breaks matchmade deep dive even worse. It's small wonder, frankly, that Bungie has mentioned a few times they don't really want to do big secrets anymore; pretty much every time since Zero Hour it's pissed some segment of people off.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I think vaulting came down almost entirely to tech issues? Like I dunno if I'm doing a telephone thing, but I heard the reason some stuff got vaulted is because it basically was built wrong - like mars strikes were basically full on duplications of the mars patrol zone, in a way that all the assets were duplicated rather then referenced.

I think it also came down to a QA thing. Look at the layers of cruft and how the game is barely holding together now. I strongly suspect if there had been no break from Activision, Season of Opulence would have been the end of D2.

Supposedly Shadowkeep and the Cosmodrome were proof that it was super easy to port old content into the new engine, but the Cosmodrome remains unfinished with no day/night cycle so I'm not sure what I believe now.

Its a little thing, considering how rarely I go to the Cosmodrome, but I'm still a little bitter at how Bungie handled the unfinished area. Promising they'd finish it and then sneaking a note into the TWAB the season it was supposed to hit with a "whoops we ran out of time, byeeeeee".

quote:

I also heard Io was repurposed cut D1 destination, so I wonder if there's some of that in there to with which destinations got vaulted. Maybe Neesus was just built in a way it was much easier for them to revisit and update, or less work overall to fix.

There was originally supposed to be a 3rd DLC for D1 set on Mars. The Pyramidion strike was apparently originally a raid. The opening cinematic with the Vex was repurposed for season of the undying.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Meiteron posted:

I imagine it was a similar reason to how Bastion got such a vitriolic response back in year 3 - Bungie basically can't do anything surprising or secret without people expecting it to be more than it is.

Back when the corridors of time came out Bungie had a zero announcements of it leading to anything specific. When people twigged to the fact that it was a secret community event that needed a huge amount of player coordination to collect information and essentially map a giant maze everyone was certain, just based on the time and effort involved, it was leading to something huge. It actually lead to Bastion, an exotic already listed in the roadmap, releasing like two weeks early. No one was pleased.

Similarly I'm certain someone at Bungie thought it would be fun to have Telesto, poster boy for breaking their game, take over the Bungie social media for a weekend and give everyone an overpowered weapon to play around with. But because it was secret and unannounced people got lost in their own heads thinking about what it could mean when it didn't mean anything, and then were angry when that proved correct.

Ironically they just tried this again with the new exotic scout rifle and IMO actually got it pretty close to a good stealth release - no announcement, but easy to figure out, and a decent combat challenge. Unfortunately the weapon launched undertuned and so people complain about that and how it breaks matchmade deep dive even worse. It's small wonder, frankly, that Bungie has mentioned a few times they don't really want to do big secrets anymore; pretty much every time since Zero Hour it's pissed some segment of people off.

Smaller wonder that Bungie has somehow come to conclusions like this:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’ve had to explain what that GDC presentation was about to like hundreds of Redditesque losers who think it means “Bungie’s official policy is to be lazy” lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The biggest failure with the Cosmodrome is that Eris Morn doesn't say OMNIGUUUUUUUUUUUL in the nightfall anymore

Why even have the strike then

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MJeff posted:

All the lore nerds got super excited trying to find patterns in the particle effects it put out (they're constellations! It's in binary!) and were really salty when they learned they were wasting their time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

The biggest failure with the Cosmodrome is that Eris Morn doesn't say OMNIGUUUUUUUUUUUL in the nightfall anymore

Why even have the strike then

SILENCE HER SCREAMS

It’s a little weird that they redid all the dialog but didn’t do that for the other Cosmodrome strikes. Extra wierd since there’s still an omnighul namedrop in Scarlet Keep

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Devil's Lair is particularly egregious, 'cause you have Brigs, something the Fallen reverse engineered from Black Armory tech, in a strike that takes place about five years before Black Armory. Not to mention that we're killing the Prime Servitor of the House of Devils, but everybody is in House of Dusk colors, because again, we broke the House of Devils about five years ago.

On another note, I've got three guys I'm subscribed to (Datto, Fallout, Mactics) all putting out GRAIVTON LANCE SUCKED ME OFF????? videos today so I'm assuming that buff really juiced it up, huh?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

haveblue posted:

SILENCE HER SCREAMS

It’s a little weird that they redid all the dialog but didn’t do that for the other Cosmodrome strikes. Extra wierd since there’s still an omnighul namedrop in Scarlet Keep

Plus in that other remastered cosmodrome strike, Fallen SABER (“We can’t risk another Omnigul situation”).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You also have Zavala’s so-bloodthirsty-its-downright-out-of-character voiceovers (which we can no longer do anything about even if we wanted to :smith:)

3DBlast
Oct 9, 2012

haveblue posted:

You also have Zavala’s so-bloodthirsty-its-downright-out-of-character voiceovers (which we can no longer do anything about even if we wanted to :smith:)

"Kill the Fallen, and send their souls screaming back to hell"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

haveblue posted:

That's his alter ego vuvuzela

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MJeff posted:

On another note, I've got three guys I'm subscribed to (Datto, Fallout, Mactics) all putting out GRAIVTON LANCE SUCKED ME OFF????? videos today so I'm assuming that buff really juiced it up, huh?

67% PvE damage buff is kinda a lot, although Datto's ends up boiling down to "gun very good, but Quicksilver Storm exists and kinetic slot special selection is limited."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

Devil's Lair is particularly egregious, 'cause you have Brigs, something the Fallen reverse engineered from Black Armory tech, in a strike that takes place about five years before Black Armory. Not to mention that we're killing the Prime Servitor of the House of Devils, but everybody is in House of Dusk colors, because again, we broke the House of Devils about five years ago.

I noticed they updated the Arms Dealer strike to refer to the Shadow Legion instead of the Red Legion in the description, so that's something

I also noticed there are barely any strikes left in the game lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I noticed they updated the Arms Dealer strike to refer to the Shadow Legion instead of the Red Legion in the description, so that's something

Well the whole of Arms Dealer was reworked in terms of flow, encounters and dialog. Lake of Shadows as well.

They're apparently supposed to be giving a similar treatment to Exodus Crash? (can't remember if they confirmed the other Neesus strikes as well.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RBA Starblade posted:

Eh, we're better off than we were immediately after vaulting started

In game:
Lake of Shadows
Arms Dealer
Will of Crota The Disgraced
Devil's Lair
Fallen Sabre
The Corrupted
Warden of Nothing
Scarlet Keep
Glassway
Insight Terminus
Inverted Spire
Proving Grounds
Exodus Crash
Lightblade
Birthplace of the Vile
Hypernet Current

Vanguard ops that are not technically strikes (and technically have names but I forget them):
Battleground Europa
Battleground Cosmodrome
Battleground Nessus
Psiops Battleground Cosmodrome
Psiops Battleground EDZ
Psiops Battleground Moon

Vaulted:
Tree of Probabilities
A Garden World
Will of the Thousands
Strange Terrain
Pyramidion
Festering Core
Savathun's Song
Hollowed Lair
Broodhold

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 19, 2023

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
god bless those hollowed lair miniscreebs, burned too bright for this playerbase and got vaulted after a single season

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

what haveblue said but also we have simply more content in general than we did pre-vaulting.

Yeah, it turbo sucked and some of that stuff shouldn't have been taken out (Red War campaign and Forsaken campaign most of all); but since vaulting the game just has way more poo poo.

It's actually overwhelming to new players.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

They're apparently supposed to be giving a similar treatment to Exodus Crash? (can't remember if they confirmed the other Neesus strikes as well.)

Just Exodus Crash, so they can expunge Cayde from the game just before they bring him back.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

They could unvault some PVP maps and the like one currently unused Gambit map.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

yes, bring back equinox. the only map I ever got a we ran on.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

Vaulted:
Tree of Probabilities
A Garden World
Will of the Thousands
Strange Terrain
Pyramidion
Festering Core
Savathun's Song
Hollowed Lair
Broodhold

most of these loving suck too so they're not really missed

only ones i'd bring back are pyramidion and festering core tbh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Festering Core got to be in the game for like 20 minutes and should definitely come back but most of the vaulted strikes are loving terrible and I never wanna see 'em again.

Hollowed Lair is such a piece of poo poo, I think Fikrul has the most obnoxious health-gating of any boss ever. Motherfucker has like seven immune phases.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'd love if they made more unrelated strikes. Not part of a story, but like, this is what guardians do sometimes. "Hey, we heard the Shadow Legion/Vex/whoever were loving up this place, go gently caress them up harder."

Give us a weird strike in Eternity that turns out to be a dream lol

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

I am disappointed we never got GMNF Nightfall Will of Thousands. I feel like that could have been very fun if we actually had to play the mechanics of that boss fight. Did you know there was a stun+damage buff mechanic? If you shoot Xol's gills, the boss would stun and you do more damage.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what the gently caress

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

i know right. you could sneeze and kill that boss and they put actual honest to god mechanics in it.

It's a drat shame we never got it GM.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

haveblue posted:

Eh, we're better off than we were immediately after vaulting started

In game:

[snip]

You forgot the Heist battlegrounds; also I could swear the S13 battlegrounds are weighted or something because I can do my weekly five in a row and get three of those goddamn things.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RocketRaygun posted:

i know right. you could sneeze and kill that boss and they put actual honest to god mechanics in it.

It's a drat shame we never got it GM.

Now you can, it was harder in season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, Xol is one of those things that simply existed in a sandbox where the meta loadout was Midnight Coup and Retrofuturist.

Calus was a legitimately difficult raid boss in year one, by the time Leviathan went into the vault he was one of the biggest jokes in any raid encounter ever, to the point even current Nezarec would laugh at him.