Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
A window air conditioner fell eight stories and killed a toddler at a Toronto public housing building a few years back, so can understand not wanting tenants installing those on their own. There are other types of air conditioners, though I don’t know how well they work.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5381844

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

The people proesting the province not looking for the Indigenous women buried in the landfill here located the fucker who dumped a bunch of mud on their road mural. And of course, a million cops come out with hands on their guns to protect him.

Granted, there is at least 50 people here but what a showing by the Winnipeg Police. :/

gently caress this racist piece of poo poo for what he did to the mural, and I'm loving happy that it made the protestors double-down on their blockade, and I'm saying this as someone who is inconvenienced by the blockade.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Bleck posted:

As far as I'm aware, space heaters do not emit greenhouse gases

Not directly, no. What greenhouse gasses do air conditioners emit?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I got a greenhouse gas for ya :fart:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

infernal machines posted:

Not directly, no. What greenhouse gasses do air conditioners emit?

Hydrofluorocarbons

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

If we're counting old AC units leaking HFCs due to aging/improper maintenance then we have to count old space heaters burning down houses (I cannot find how many house fires it takes to match the greenhouse emissions of leaky AC units, I am curious how that matches up)

e: if a house fire from a space heater destroys an AC unit...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

A window air conditioner fell eight stories and killed a toddler at a Toronto public housing building a few years back, so can understand not wanting tenants installing those on their own. There are other types of air conditioners, though I don’t know how well they work.

Alternatives are not the best, from what I understand. Or at least, stuff like portable units with the hoses you stick out windows are fairly inefficient due to the part that gets hot being in the space you want to be cold. A tube an a fan (particularly if that tube is also doubling as the intake) only can do -so much- compared to the hot part just being not where you want it to be cold.

From what I recall heat pumps are a heating/cooling solution that's actually really great outside of the absolute extremes? (But ones that are good for our climate are fairly expensive, and not the kind of thing a renter can get.)

I've got a window unit that basically sits half in, half out, doesn't feel at risk of falling, but I also have a balcony. If we want to ban specific options for cooling apartments, maybe we need to update housing standards so rental units are required to have proper heating AND cooling, whatever solution is going to be the best for that. (lol lmao)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I tried to convince the landlord here to install split A/C for the units since it would have been the most efficient and cost effective (we don't pay hydro) and she just laughed at me and told me to get a portable unit.

It would have cost her anywhere up to two months' rent for the building to do, but I guess she'd rather just pay for us to run as many little portable units as we need.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My apartment has weird windows and there’s no balcony so I use a portable AC. It’s ok? Draining the water buildup is more annoying than any concern about efficiency, and running it is definitely cheaper than running the baseboards in the winter. Also they weigh a lot and this is a walk up. That wasn’t fun. You can insulate the hot air hose if you want, I’ve never noticed the unit itself being particularly warm.

Funny thing is, my apartment is set up for central air - when I moved in I asked about it (excitedly) and the property manager was like “oh haha yeah the last people who owned this building had central air included in the rent, we decided not to do that. Also we scrapped the furnace and air conditioning unit.”

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Oxyclean posted:

Alternatives are not the best, from what I understand. Or at least, stuff like portable units with the hoses you stick out windows are fairly inefficient due to the part that gets hot being in the space you want to be cold. A tube an a fan (particularly if that tube is also doubling as the intake) only can do -so much- compared to the hot part just being not where you want it to be cold.

From what I recall heat pumps are a heating/cooling solution that's actually really great outside of the absolute extremes? (But ones that are good for our climate are fairly expensive, and not the kind of thing a renter can get.)

I've got a window unit that basically sits half in, half out, doesn't feel at risk of falling, but I also have a balcony. If we want to ban specific options for cooling apartments, maybe we need to update housing standards so rental units are required to have proper heating AND cooling, whatever solution is going to be the best for that. (lol lmao)

I thought heat pumps were much more efficient for heating than resistive heaters but not really much different than air conditioners for cooling.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Efficiency comes from the massive temperature differential between indoors and 100 feet down. If your heat pump went to the backyard then yeah it'd suck some type of way.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

angerbot posted:

My apartment has weird windows and there’s no balcony so I use a portable AC. It’s ok? Draining the water buildup is more annoying than any concern about efficiency, and running it is definitely cheaper than running the baseboards in the winter. Also they weigh a lot and this is a walk up. That wasn’t fun. You can insulate the hot air hose if you want, I’ve never noticed the unit itself being particularly warm.

I mean, they work fine enough, it's more just that I watched a big bunch of videos on this stuff (Technology connections on youtube) and they were pretty critical of the portable units from just like, the fact that it's a less efficient design. It absolutely has use cases like yours.

More of like, a response to the implication that they're a great/better alternative to window units? Like if we're all worried about global warming, we probably want the more efficient options.

Squibbles posted:

I thought heat pumps were much more efficient for heating than resistive heaters but not really much different than air conditioners for cooling.
I might just be misremembering, or the upside is that it can pull double duty with one system if you design it right? (which is not so much better then AC)

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, they work fine enough, it's more just that I watched a big bunch of videos on this stuff (Technology connections on youtube) and they were pretty critical of the portable units from just like, the fact that it's a less efficient design. It absolutely has use cases like yours.

More of like, a response to the implication that they're a great/better alternative to window units? Like if we're all worried about global warming, we probably want the more efficient options.

I might just be misremembering, or the upside is that it can pull double duty with one system if you design it right? (which is not so much better then AC)

Oh for sure. Heat pumps being able to heat and cool is a really nice benefit. Especially if you can use it to forego baseboard heaters or something. But if heating isn't a concern I don't think a heat pump has much in the way of advantages over an A/C unit. The carrier website says that AC and Heat pumps work in a nearly identical way for cooling I think.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

angerbot posted:

You already have one, so it doesn't matter, but you can get ones that don't require emptying during normal cooling use. Mine supposedly passes the water out with the hot air exhaust and I've never emptied it, so it appears to work in this climate at least. Of course water vapour is a green house gas, but I guess the biosphere can take another one for the team.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I have a portable unit too and it keeps my entire apartment cool, even during extreme heat waves. It has a dehumidifying option but I don't use it, so no need to drain it. I've been running it steady since the end of May and the increase to my hydro bill has been maybe an extra $10/month if even.

I can see reasons for banning the window units, unless the building wants to have them professionally installed. I don't think I've ever seen one of those properly installed, and there is almost always damage to the window and sometimes the building siding from it leaking down the wall. My building recently had to have some brick work repaired due to that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Squibbles posted:

Oh for sure. Heat pumps being able to heat and cool is a really nice benefit. Especially if you can use it to forego baseboard heaters or something. But if heating isn't a concern I don't think a heat pump has much in the way of advantages over an A/C unit. The carrier website says that AC and Heat pumps work in a nearly identical way for cooling I think.

Most heat pumps are quite literally air conditioners but with the ability to run in reverse.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
The U-shaped air conditioner design makes it harder for it to fall out of windows. Especially if it is a reverse U shape where it straddles the wall instead of the window.

But condos windows with the little crank are harder to fit something with.

And agreed portable A/C is less efficient, it uses more electricity to achieve the same amount of cooling a window A/C can do. But if you have no options/choice you're stuck, I guess you have to. But for everyone else if you can do window A/C units, or whatever keeps the hot heat exchanger part out of the house.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Heat pumps are great in moderate climates where winters don’t get too cold. They’re a poor replacement for gas furnaces in Canadian climates. Heat pumps are the closest you can get to free energy without violating the laws of physics. If you live in a place like Denver, CO a heat pump is the perfect HVAC device for the local climate. Winters don’t get much colder than like -7 and it falls within the range of optimum performance. Any cooler than that and you’ll need to supplement within baseboards.

Unfortunately decarbonizing heating requires the use of baseboards for most people and that won’t go away until we can figure out a way to drive an electric central heating system.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Look, just extend the steam loop from the local nuke plant, easy peasy.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

My baseboards work great. Skill issue(s)

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Electric baseboard heaters are by far the most expensive way to heat a building, short of burning actual dollar bills for heat.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I would like to get a heat pump. The temperatures are too drat high.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

A lot of places in BC weren’t built with hot summers in mind. Not only is there no cooling, your average Vancouver condos aren’t designed to facilitate airflow or shade or anything else that would help.

Reducing our energy consumption should be a goal but I’m not sure how you deal with housing that isn’t fit for the climate. We can update building standards but it doesn’t help existing homes stay cool in the summer or warm in the winter. And I don’t want medically vulnerable people, or like, pregnant people, to have to just suck it up because of course people who are better off are more likely to have housing with temperature controls and this problem will be felt disproportionately.

angerbot posted:

Funny thing is, my apartment is set up for central air - when I moved in I asked about it (excitedly) and the property manager was like “oh haha yeah the last people who owned this building had central air included in the rent, we decided not to do that. Also we scrapped the furnace and air conditioning unit.”

This is CRIMINAL. :psyduck:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

kaom posted:

A lot of places in BC weren’t built with hot summers in mind. Not only is there no cooling, your average Vancouver condos aren’t designed to facilitate airflow or shade or anything else that would help.

It's this. When I was growing up in Victoria nearly 40 years ago, summers in the south coast might have had one week per year of 30+ temperatures, not like a month straight like they've been having recently.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It's been 40 degrees in direct sunlight for like 45 days in row. Anyone that doesn't say AC is necessary is a jerk. Our pets need a nice cool environment, my kitty gets to keep cool while I'm out making AC money.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Kraftwerk posted:

Heat pumps are great in moderate climates where winters don’t get too cold. They’re a poor replacement for gas furnaces in Canadian climates. Heat pumps are the closest you can get to free energy without violating the laws of physics. If you live in a place like Denver, CO a heat pump is the perfect HVAC device for the local climate. Winters don’t get much colder than like -7 and it falls within the range of optimum performance. Any cooler than that and you’ll need to supplement within baseboards.

Unfortunately decarbonizing heating requires the use of baseboards for most people and that won’t go away until we can figure out a way to drive an electric central heating system.

Your information is out of date. This isn't surprising because even numerous HVAC installers still believe this. The latest generation of cold climate air source heat pumps can operate effectively down to very low temperatures. They of course lose efficiency as it gets lower temperature but they are still significantly more efficient than baseboard heaters at -30 and retain max rated BTUs down to -15.

Of course going ground-source is better but that's ridiculously expensive.

Fidelitious fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 20, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think the takeaway here is that not having AC will kill thousands in the coming years so the argument about it contributing to global warming is very weak considering it will literally save lives

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It can go at the back of the line behind beef cattle, coffee, oil manufacturing, global shipping, and anything else I missed

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the takeaway here is that not having AC will kill thousands in the coming years so the argument about it contributing to global warming is very weak considering it will literally save lives
In terms of priorities of "poo poo to give up to stop/mitigate global warming" personal dwelling ACs are pretty far down the list.

Meanwhile parking minimums are a thing.

e: Oh hey, you beat me to this point with your second post

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Saving lives also contributes to global warming. That's a bit hosed up imo.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Fornax Disaster posted:

I used to have one of the floor ones where you put the tube out the window in my old place without AC and other than the annoyance of getting the seal on the window tube exhaust right and having to drain the water tray occasionally it cooled my one bedroom just fine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

kaom posted:

Yeah, Calgary too (although newer builds seem to have central air pretty reliably). If you have a house where you can get decent airflow, cool at night, etc. then it's distinctly more possible to live with A/C. When you're in an apartment that faces south or southwest and there's no good way to get airflow through because you only have opening windows on one side, you are hosed. My last place without A/C would get up to 28 or 29 degrees in mid-summer.

Current place has some sort of heat pump system, it's effective enough that I don't even crank the thermostat all the way down because I'd freeze my rear end off.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Don't worry renters still one left wing party ready to advocate for your housing nee...

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1681865281189339136

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yeah, Calgary too (although newer builds seem to have central air pretty reliably). If you have a house where you can get decent airflow, cool at night, etc. then it's distinctly more possible to live with A/C. When you're in an apartment that faces south or southwest and there's no good way to get airflow through because you only have opening windows on one side, you are hosed. My last place without A/C would get up to 28 or 29 degrees in mid-summer.

Current place has some sort of heat pump system, it's effective enough that I don't even crank the thermostat all the way down because I'd freeze my rear end off.

I live on the ground floor of a century old brick house. By the end of the day, if the sun has been shining, it's 32° minimum and if it doesn't go below about 18° outside overnight, the house won't cool down, period.

I still don't run the AC unless it's over 30° and pretty much only in the evening/night to cool the place down enough to be able to sleep.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

Don't worry renters still one left wing party ready to advocate for your housing nee...

https://twitter.com/SteveSaretsky/status/1681865281189339136

Absolutely zero of my taxpayer dollars should go towards subsidizing people with variable rate mortgages in TYOOL 2023.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

infernal machines posted:

I live on the ground floor of a century old brick house. By the end of the day, if the sun has been shining, it's 32° minimum and if it doesn't go below about 18° outside overnight, the house won't cool down, period.

I still don't run the AC unless it's over 30° and pretty much only in the evening/night to cool the place down enough to be able to sleep.

Now if you had to factor in age (infants or seniors) and/or a respiratory disease, would that change how you see a law change like this?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

McGavin posted:

Absolutely zero of my taxpayer dollars should go towards subsidizing people with variable rate mortgages in TYOOL 2023.

Done, all those subsidy funds are now going to the Irvings and Galen Weston. That was a close one!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Done, all those subsidy funds are now going to the Irvings and Galen Weston. That was a close one!

Pretty sure they have variable rate mortgages.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

McGavin posted:

Pretty sure they have variable rate mortgages.

lol if you think that the McCains, Irvings or Westons have mortgages, like peasants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Now if you had to factor in age (infants or seniors) and/or a respiratory disease, would that change how you see a law change like this?

No, but then again, I'm not sure how you think I see the BC law.