Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

should've listened to myself

2-45

goodbye thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

AnacondaHL posted:

The full order list via reddit was figured out a while ago:

1) Class Packs
2) Golden Standard Packs
3) Standard Packs
4) Golden Expansion Packs
5) Claim Amazon Prime Legendary on Twitch.tv
6) Expansion Packs
7) Accept rewards track legendaries after opening all your packs

Back when Amazon Prime gave out legendaries :saddowns:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnacondaHL posted:

1) Class Packs
2) Golden Standard Packs
3) Standard Packs
6) Expansion Packs

...what logic is this list based on?

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

RatHat posted:

...what logic is this list based on?

Maximizing your collection. Expansion packs have a limited card pool and have duplicate protection so doing it in this order ensures you get as many new cards as possible.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Manna Lee Roth posted:

I can feel his burning eyes upon me. He is close! Sooooo cloooose.

And then your Ranked Mode will be unmade. Your DECKS as NOTHING!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If standard packs have dupe protection then it makes sense to open them first. Since you already have cards from previous expansions then you would be more likely to get cards from the new set.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Everything has dupe protection nowadays

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

AnacondaHL posted:

1) Class Packs
2) Golden Standard Packs
3) Standard Packs
6) Expansion Packs

Why do you need to wait to accept the rewards track legendaries? Either you reroll them when you pick them off the track or dupe protection stops you from opening them if you already have them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Can't you dust those specific legendaries for full value on launch day, allowing you to choose which legendary to get instead?

Or was that changed with the reroll change?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Can't you dust those specific legendaries for full value on launch day, allowing you to choose which legendary to get instead?

Or was that changed with the reroll change?

Yeah that was just before they introduced the reroll system

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
New Shaman cards look fun. I really respect the new HS team for making delayed packages that support otherwise unplayable legendaries. Radiance of Azshara might be good in a month!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

fanny packrat posted:

New Shaman cards look fun. I really respect the new HS team for making delayed packages that support otherwise unplayable legendaries. Radiance of Azshara might be good in a month!

Yeah I was just thinking I might actually want to play Shaman for once!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The Shaman set looks very solid with lots of strong utility, defense, and draw, but I’m still not sure how the deck wins. Its Titan is more of a midrange bridge card than a finisher, and I’m still not sold on Jive/Lineup as a win condition even with the additional support. Maybe Bioluminescence combo kills? You probably need to discover more copies of your burn spells, though — I don’t think two Lightning Bolt and two Scalding Geyser is enough.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

bravesword posted:

The Shaman set looks very solid with lots of strong utility, defense, and draw, but I’m still not sure how the deck wins. Its Titan is more of a midrange bridge card than a finisher, and I’m still not sold on Jive/Lineup as a win condition even with the additional support. Maybe Bioluminescence combo kills? You probably need to discover more copies of your burn spells, though — I don’t think two Lightning Bolt and two Scalding Geyser is enough.

Crash of Thunder goes face, combos with bioluminescence, and can be discounted. Turn the Tides can be discounted, discovered, and windfuried. I think we're going to be able to pump out a lot of damage.

E: I forgot Overdraft was in standard too.

fanny packrat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 21, 2023

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
Come on, do it Blizzard... let us ban a class.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

Come on, do it Blizzard... let us ban a class.

Don't hold your breath, since they literally did the opposite and gutted support for the mode that let you do this (all conquest tournaments)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This is a fascinating look into the demographics of a Hearthstone Redditor, and how bias can form in a curated community, and in general how human psychology works, or rather how humans have a tough time understanding huge numbers and averages across large populations:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/154n3p1/how_long_should_the_average_game_be/

Note: Through the entire history of the game, metas have gone from low-7-turn (extremely fast aggro metas) to high-8-turn (attrition control warrior metas) avg game lengths.

So all the votes for 10+ imply "I want the entirety of the meta to just be control mirror matches"

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I doubt people look too closely at the data when they vote on something like that. It’s probably more of “players should have a few turns at ten mana so expensive cards matter, and I don’t want to get blown out on turn five by aggro or combo or miracle or ramp drawing the nuts, so turn 12 or 13 sounds about ideal for the game to be ending.”

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I enjoyed some of the control mirrors in early Hearthstone, but then we briefly got this meta:

No more of that, please

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

AnacondaHL posted:

Don't hold your breath, since they literally did the opposite and gutted support for the mode that let you do this (all conquest tournaments)

I know, it was more tongue and cheek. I do genuinely think it would make the game a better play experience and open up a lot more deck-building possibilities. My guess is that enough people wouldn't want others to be able to 'block' them, so implementing this change might cause more damage to the fan base than simply letting things stay as they are.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Priest players would never be able to find a match since everyone, including priest players, would ban priest.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

fanny packrat posted:

Priest players would never be able to find a match since everyone, including priest players, would ban priest.

I'd ban DK I think, especially in the indeterminable terrain between Gold and Diamond where Blood DK is everywhere.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
The cool thing about Twist is it's flexibility as a testing ground for these kinds of concepts. If it's a failure and nobody plays, who cares? It's a new one next month!

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Just sick. Was Reddit not losing their poo poo over Blood DK like three months ago at duration?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mage cards

They seem pretty solid. Bunch of spell generation and elementals with Sif as a late game finisher. Elemental Inspiration is vaguely worded but I assume it summons an elemental with 1 random effect for each spell school rather than 1 elemental with a bunch of effects(because that’d be terrible)

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Yeah, it’s worded poorly. It’s one creature for each spell school, each with one random ability.

The Elemental stuff seems like it’s missing pieces. There aren’t that many Elementals in the format right now, and there’s no compelling reason to go Menagerie in Mage.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

bravesword posted:

Yeah, it’s worded poorly. It’s one creature for each spell school, each with one random ability.

The Elemental stuff seems like it’s missing pieces. There aren’t that many Elementals in the format right now, and there’s no compelling reason to go Menagerie in Mage.

Yeah, the Elemental package feels like it's there as a stepping stone for future expansions.

Also, I feel confident that this chaos-ish spell school Mage can be a solid and fun mid-tier deck but I doubt it'll have enough power to be truly top-tier. Getting Sif to +4-5 spell damage shouldn't be too hard, at which point you can drop her plus a prepared Frozen Touch or Molten Rune to deal 14-16 to your opponent and that's probably enough if you can chip your opponent down before that point in the game. But if you can't do that, either because you can't stick anything or you're facing someone with enough health gain to make it not matter, you may as well just concede because I don't see how you'd get past that.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I feel like elementals in Mage for the last two seasons have always been 'this is good but there aren't enough to make it work'. Some have already rotated, I don't think they will ever let the archetype hit critical mass.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1682617281648656384?s=20

drat that looks really good

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ra-den didn't even looks this good in WoW.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Warlock just making a casual 30/30 in stats on turn 6 in a few weeks. Good for them, they deserve some good cards.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Hearthstone is the worst when [FAVOURED CLASS] has decent cards.

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

Can't believe this won first place. It's only 14M health!

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
The Signature cards get better and better

(I didn’t even really mind the Lich King ones though)

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I dislike that the style is so different between each set, zero cohesion. I also think the flat style doesn't work so well with the general style of Hearthstone cards.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's a shame they didn't do signature cards when the Nathria set came out, they could have been done in a spooky painterly style as if they were portraits in the castle.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

Boatswain posted:

I dislike that the style is so different between each set, zero cohesion. I also think the flat style doesn't work so well with the general style of Hearthstone cards.

Really? That’s the best part. They’re thematic!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Boatswain posted:

That’s intentional

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I know, I still dislike it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
New Warrior cards for Enrage, maybe slower with more combo-focus:

This can be useful in Blackrock and Enrage:

Great in Blackrock, and useful Forge with the new neutral Legendary:

Great in Menagerie: