Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Angry_Ed posted:

Someone pointed out that literally no mention or appearance of the CW/Arrowverse Flash(es) is in this which tells you all you need to know about how much thought they actually put into the concept.

They released this and shelved Batgirl.

like for as bad as Batgirl might've been it 1. would've given us Brendan Fraser playing a villain 2. still gave us some Keaton, but possibly with some actual meat on the bone in his role 3. might've been completely passable in a year of terrible cape flicks. Who knows! Just the fact that the flash came out and that one got tossed in the shredder is just baffling. Zaslav is going to piece meal WB and sell off the chunks soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Angry_Ed posted:

Someone pointed out that literally no mention or appearance of the CW/Arrowverse Flash(es) is in this which tells you all you need to know about how much thought they actually put into the concept.

Which is weird, when you consider they had movie Flash show up on CW Flash. And had a "generic" Golden Age Flash who looked like one of the Flashes from the CW series.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

enigmahfc posted:

Out of all movie genres, comedy is the one that holds up the least over time. Even stuff that doesn't become offensive through the lens of time just tends to get not funny. Ands it's not even a case of "you already know the jokes" usually, its just stuff gets unfunny usually.

Comedy is just so subjective and "whats funny" so contextual, largely based on the times and evolves so fast that the framing changes so fast. More so than horror, even, which I'd say is the 2nd most subjective genre. I think it's why so few horror or comedy films get nominated for Oscars or turn up on Top 100 Movies lists. A lot of comedy also takes at aim at current events or references pop culture that just gets lost on audiences as those things basically cease to exist.

I think that "what's funny" and "what's scary" are the hardest targets to hit. "What's exciting" in an action film, "What's dramatic" or "What's sad" kind of span generations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

dorium posted:

like for as bad as Batgirl might've been it 1. would've given us Brendan Fraser playing a villain 2. still gave us some Keaton, but possibly with some actual meat on the bone in his role 3. might've been completely passable in a year of terrible cape flicks. Who knows! Just the fact that the flash came out and that one got tossed in the shredder is just baffling. Zaslav is going to piece meal WB and sell off the chunks soon enough.

They shelved the movie with a lead who just won an academy award in favor of the movie with a lead who is a noted criminal

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Kind of wild for DC of all people to decide that "no, this movie is a giant piece of poo poo that we can't possibly release".

And now it really makes me want to see it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A lot of times with comedies it helps to either be high, in a group with people who haven't seen it or only vaguely remember or it, or be a teenager in the first place.

Comedies also get less funny the more you watch them. A bit can be hilarious the first time you watch it, and by the time you're on the 30th time seeing it the funny just isn't going to hit as hard. Even the best comedy is going to wear down over time, but that is extra true for something you keep going back to.

Angry_Ed posted:

I mean, they less shelved Batgirl, more sold it off to the financial equivalent of the urban legend human organ harvesters. Probably easier to write off shitloads of money to the IRS on a Streaming/Cable project than try and bullshit them with theater release Hollywood accounting. Studio accountants probably still have the entire MCU down as losing money.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

I'm so glad I joined Letterboxd with the sole purpose of following the gang

Cabin posted:

There are men who study ancient, grueling forms of yoga and pilates from birth in monasteries hidden in the deepest crevices of mountains never drawn on maps that will never be able to suck their own dick for half as long or forcefully as Kevin Costner sucks his. If it didn't take three weeks to watch this film, you'd almost have to be impressed by the feat.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I feel like American Pie 1 was patient zero for the proliferation of UNRATED - TOO EXTREME FOR THEATERS EDITION!!!! DVDs in the 2000s era. Listening to the AP2 episode was a fun time, I only rented the movie once and had blacked most of it out, but bits and pieces started coming back to me as they went through it. Truly a sequel with no reason to exist and also one of the whitest franchises in existence

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like Angelica, I’ve seen all the main line ones and let me tell you reunion is the absolute most desperate dreadful attempt to make anyone care about that franchise after like a decade it was relevant. I don’t remember anything about it except they all just looked old and sad.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I swear to god. I was waiting for the next listener request month to call in The Postman. I even went and doublechecked that they hadn't done it on the patreon feed or anything. In film and lit, my late teacher got mad at me and some friends for laughing at something because we were dumb high schoolers and not paying attention so he foisted a bunch of Costner films on us as punishment, and The Postman was absolutely the highlight. What a slog.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFiMNpDa0s4

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Listening to the AP2 episode made me remember that I did actually go to see it at the cinema but fell asleep after about 15 minutes and woke up just in time to see the kid get hit in the face with a trombone.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

I should have expected it, because I saw the trailer for it multiple times in theaters, but I was loving delighted with the return of the Skeleton League thanks to Costner finding a skeleton wearing a postal carrier's uniform.

And I love Crabin's suggestion for people to call in en masse for the next Listener Request Month, Field of Dreams.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I could have sworn The Postman was already an episode.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I feel like The Last of Us (the game haven't seen the show) hews pretty close to the aesthetic of The Postman so there's your prestige drama right there. I haven't seen that movie since the 90s but I feel like there are a lot of themes from that movie used in popular culture since then.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ravenkult posted:

I could have sworn The Postman was already an episode.

Waterworld was. A live episode, I think. You may be thinking of that.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Postman was one of the best episodes in a long time. Cabin's seething (and justified) hatred of Costner's self suck career, the mocking of the slow motion letter grab, Eric playfully prodding people that the movie is kind of good before ultimately getting defeated and just wanting the episode to end.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
“The paraplegic Jedi king” made up for the lack of soundboard.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tato posted:

Postman was one of the best episodes in a long time. Cabin's seething (and justified) hatred of Costner's self suck career, the mocking of the slow motion letter grab, Eric playfully prodding people that the movie is kind of good before ultimately getting defeated and just wanting the episode to end.

Cabin's realization and agreement that he'd rather watch Postman again instead of Yesterday was also quite funny.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

August Dispatch time!

Episode 688 – Twins: Live in Los Angeles

Episode 689 – Fatal Attraction: Live in Salt Lake City

Episode 690– The Birdcage: Live in New Brunswick

Episode 691– WarGames: Live in Denver

Episode 692– Universal Soldier: Live in Phoenix, including the finale of the Season 13 VHS Trailer Game!

Patreon Episodes:

We Love Movies – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)

Animation Damnation: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) “Plan 10” (s2, e21)

The Nexus: TNG: “The Best of Both Worlds, Part 1”(s3,e26) & “The Best of Both Worlds, Part 2 (s4, e1)

Gleep Glossary: Gallandro

MelR0210: 90210 “The Twins, The Trustee, and the Very Big Trip” (s3, e2), Melrose Place: “Michael’s Game” (s2, e17)

Once in a Lifetime: Killer Profile (2021) aka Do You Trust Your Boyfriend?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I know they mentioned it at some point recently, but very happy to get confirmation that we'll get the Birdcage episode. I was worried I would never get to listen to that one.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Oh thank God we get both parts of Best of Both Worlds in one ep.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rageaholic posted:

Animation Damnation: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2012) “Plan 10” (s2, e21)

That is such a bizarre AD choice. Even for TMNT.

I love it.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Inkspot posted:

That is such a bizarre AD choice. Even for TMNT.

I love it.

I looked it up and I think they went with it because it's the first episode with Roseanne as the voice of Kraang Prime. (insert her laugh here)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That absolutely tracks. Patreon money well spent.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is such an awesome movie.

Charles is in a GREAT episode of Miami Vice that has the most hilarious supporting cast. He and Cousin Ira from Mad About You play a couple of Everglades swamp people drug dealers. They are trying to hunt down the owner from Major League and the cop from The Dark Knight who the Joker asks, “Do you want to know which of your friends were cowards?”

There’s a great montage of Crockett and Tubbs driving to the swamp with a bunch of fishing rods poking out of Crockett’s Ferarri.

Available on Tubi!

Edit: And Charles gets mur-dered by Crockett. Holy cow does he ever get it.

mweber fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 3, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Great WLM this month. Helps that I had a chance to see the 90's movie last night in theaters and saw Mutant Mayhem last weekend in a special screening. Both great movies and the new one definitely also cribs the vibe of the 90's one, but with updated references and giving the turtles more of a chance to hang out like the teenagers that they are. The most teenager-y version of the turtles ever.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The audio is not great on this week's live episode, which they admit up front. I didn't think it was too bad, except for Eric for some reason.

Otherwise, a great episode that as you would expect, gets filthy almost from the start.

An explanation from the guys:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1688972887707815936?s=20

quote:

The club neglected to put his mic into the mix, so the only way you can hear him is through our three mics picking up his voice through the stage monitors, meaning it had to be boosted and filtered significantly. It wasn't ideal release conditions, but we needed the week off.

SilentChaz fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Eric was on fire this episode too. The way they were mic'd it almost sounded like they were dying on stage because you really couldn't hear the audience laughing which made it funnier for me for some reason.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

The guys admit at the start of this week's episode (during the in-studio) intro, since they've now done a WLM for a Robin Williams movie with The Birdcage, the gates are now open to do WHM episodes on some of his, uh, lesser works once again. (Bicentennial Man and Flubber were two of the titles mentioned.) :getin:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm watching Best of Both Worlds again for this week's Nexus, and holy poo poo I forgot how much these episodes rule.

edit: At least the first part. I haven't gotten to the second part yet, and it's been over a decade since I watched these.

edit2: Yup, second part is awesome, too.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 18, 2023

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

WHM is leaving the Headgum Network and becoming an independent podcast:

https://twitter.com/WHMPodcast/status/1694733834896425262

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Give me ad free episodes on the Patreon you cowards!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe they can choose not to take on lovely ad companies now. Actually having to pretend to use better help is kinda gross.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I wonder if this changes where the main feed episodes are going to be hosted again. I did always hate having to alter so much info on each Headgum ep to remove them as the artist and composer and put in the correct info.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah I'm curious how that's going to work with the ads and stuff. Most likely they're being smart about it and know what they're doing.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 24, 2023

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Introducing the newest MaxFun podcast.....

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought it was HeadGam for the longest time because of how the lady says it

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Invalid Validation posted:

Maybe they can choose not to take on lovely ad companies now. Actually having to pretend to use better help is kinda gross.

https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1694748825099857981

Yeah, I always hated those. I always noticed how Steve specifically would say that therapy has helped him and he recommends it for others but clearly never actually stated that he used betterhelp for his own personal therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Show rules, would love to get stoned with these dudes after a show sometime.