Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Neo Rasa posted:

Several of the theaters near us have a big enough space between the front row and the screen and are angled so that the front two rows own

I miss my old, long demolished movie theater for that reason - the screens were all pretty small and the first three rows were tilted back on a reverse incline relative to the rest of the theater. The third row center was just the right distance to perfectly fill your entire vision to the edges of your periphery, and because nobody ever sat in the first two rows you could kick your feet up and enjoy the spoils of the tilted seat. Truly the viewing experience of kings and statesmen :lofty:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Jose Oquendo posted:

I want me some diarrhea juice

A little backed up there?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

GoutPatrol posted:

Eric is very correct

Why?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I also really hate assigned seating, I enjoy going into the theater and choosing where I sit in the theater itself.

If it's like an Alamo or a fancy one where you get served dinner or something, sure, assign seats. General theater seats, nah.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Chris just offhandedly mentioning that he and his wife sit in the front 2 rows was insane to me. He's experiencing movies on an entirely different level than the rest of us.

He's the #10 Most Contrarian Critic for a reason

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Doobie Keebler posted:

I've been getting caught up on some Patreon stuff. The bit on the Babyknapped episode with Mt. Dew wine was killing me. They came up with like 20 things but Savignon Blast made me pause the podcast because I was laughing so hard. Neglecting the Lifetime episodes was a big mistake.

Don't sleep on the Melro210 eps either. I've been catching up on them and loving lost it at tummy puddles during episode 56.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

I also really hate assigned seating, I enjoy going into the theater and choosing where I sit in the theater itself.

But.... Why? How is that better? I'm genuinely curious because I just don't understand.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's been many many years since we've been to a movie theater, but my gf has a physical disability and assigned seats were a godsend for us. She's not in a wheelchair but can't really do stairs so it's great knowing ahead of time if there are accessible seats available and to lock them down before we get there. Assigned seats rule and I have no earthly idea why people would be against it other than because that's how it used to be or whatever.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kneecaps posted:

But.... Why? How is that better? I'm genuinely curious because I just don't understand.

I... just like it more? Show up, buy a ticket, walk in, find a place. Never had a problem before, when I have had bad experiences with assigned seating (force to sit next to assholes, even in an otherwise empty theater where the employees made me loving go back next to them!)

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I will never go to a theater without assigned seating. Being able to see how full a theater is ahead of time, getting to the show at your own pace and time instead of trying to show up a half hour early for a popular move ( so your not forced to sit in the first couple rows), and it’s a theater, of course you’ll be sitting next to an rear end in a top hat. That’s just part of the ‘THEATER EXPERIENCE!!!!’

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
For advance tickets I have no problem with assigned seating, especially for big movies on their first weekend. I remember sitting in line for a long time to get a decent seat for a movie.

When buying tickets at theater at the time of the movie? gently caress you. First come first serve. I hate it when some idiot at the ticket kiosk takes forever because they can't decide or don't know how to use a computer.

Assigned seating is also dumb because you get those stupid motherfuckers who can't read and think you're in their seat, or they are in YOUR seat. Then you gotta show them your ticket and explain to them how numbers and letters work.

Advanced tickets are also totally unnecessary for matinee showings.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GoutPatrol posted:

I... just like it more? Show up, buy a ticket, walk in, find a place. Never had a problem before, when I have had bad experiences with assigned seating (force to sit next to assholes, even in an otherwise empty theater where the employees made me loving go back next to them!)

Honestly, enforcing assigned seating should only happen in full showings. I like being able to call dibs on seats, and not have to do the ol' impromptu bargaining with strangers or deal with heretics who deny the sanctity of coats on a seat. However if there's 8 people in a 100 seat theater, gently caress off with your "assigned seat" that you didn't pay any more or less for.

The funny thing is that assigned seating was a good idea that barely achieved market saturation before Covid rode in and made it all but obsolete. I think there's only been a handful of movies since 2020 that pulled in the requisite butts for the seats for it to in any way matter. Unless you've got an Alamo style dine in theater, or you're watching something actually IMAX worthy, there's just no real reason to even go to a place that makes airport pricing look reasonable.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I love how absolutely done with a movie Eric and Chris are once the credits hit. Just leaving the millisecond the screen goes black to head to the liquor store. Best way to save yourself from extra dance scenes or dumb stingers. If it was important enough, put it in the movie.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is there a joke about Thandiwe Newton's name I'm missing? I swear the pronounced it differently every time the said it

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gyges posted:

Is there a joke about Thandiwe Newton's name I'm missing? I swear the pronounced it differently every time the said it
Her real name is Thandiwe (pronounced Tan-dee-way) but she used to go by Thandie (pronounced Tan-dee) until a couple years ago.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

Her real name is Thandiwe (pronounced Tan-dee-way) but she used to go by Thandie (pronounced Tan-dee) until a couple years ago.

poo poo, I did not know this, and have been saying it wrong.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
I honestly thought they were making a Wayne Newton joke.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got into an assigned seating argument in the Tech Nightmares thread and argued for the "against" policy.

It's just another example of solving a problem that doesn't really exist, adding a layer of tech to the process, loving with me if I want to pay in cash and what it's truly doing as near as I can tell is to try to eliminate even more lower paying jobs. The entire ticket booth at my local theater was closed the last two times I went it was kind of depressing.

Also, had a thing where we had bought our seats for Spider Verse and bumped into my son's friends and their family and, of course, the kids wanted to sit together. Fortunately, we are able to pull it off but it was still needlessly irritating.

I can count on one hand the number of times in my life that my movie group was forced to sit apart from each other. It was always an early release blockbuster but somehow we plowed through it. Nothing like having to pull out ticket stubs in total darkness and figure that out too in the event of a conflict in seating assignments. It's not like a sporting event or a concert with 40,000 loving people to sort through.

What I'm saying is I do not like it.

:colbert:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56638260

I was also totally unaware but looks to be like two years ago. Good for her, but also sucks that she had to wait until she had enough clout / fame to be confident enough to do it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

BiggerBoat posted:

I got into an assigned seating argument in the Tech Nightmares thread and argued for the "against" policy.

It's just another example of solving a problem that doesn't really exist, adding a layer of tech to the process, loving with me if I want to pay in cash and what it's truly doing as near as I can tell is to try to eliminate even more lower paying jobs. The entire ticket booth at my local theater was closed the last two times I went it was kind of depressing.

Also, had a thing where we had bought our seats for Spider Verse and bumped into my son's friends and their family and, of course, the kids wanted to sit together. Fortunately, we are able to pull it off but it was still needlessly irritating.

I can count on one hand the number of times in my life that my movie group was forced to sit apart from each other. It was always an early release blockbuster but somehow we plowed through it. Nothing like having to pull out ticket stubs in total darkness and figure that out too in the event of a conflict in seating assignments. It's not like a sporting event or a concert with 40,000 loving people to sort through.

What I'm saying is I do not like it.

:colbert:

Your first point is why I’ve gone back to getting my tickets at the booth. The booth kids even know me now

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
If assigned seating was so bad, why is it used in literally every other form of live entertainment? Sports, theater, concerts...

My main reason for liking it is that I don't want to have to show up 30 minutes early and sit there bored out of my mind just because I want a decent seat. With trailers, you're already looking at a 3+ hour runtime for some of these movies. I have a life to live here, I can't spend half my day in a drat movie theater.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Yeah I like assigned seats. I have no desire to go back to having to get to the theater super early to make sure I have a good spot.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Before this I was stringently in the “assigned seats are god tier, I don’t see ANY reason why you don’t want them. Stop being afraid of talking to a person irl just because they think you’re in their seat”. But I’ve had a change of heart based on some of the arguments. I can get onboard with ditching assign seating if either

+it’s a matinee showing
+movie has been in theaters for more than 3 weeks

and I think that ends up addressing a lot of the annoyances people have been calling out. But you can pry my opening weekend assigned seats from my cold dead hands.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

dorium posted:

Your first point is why I’ve gone back to getting my tickets at the booth. The booth kids even know me now

in theaters around here you can still pick your seat from the ticket booth, you don't have to go online. I usually do that, actually, as it means I don't pay online 'convenience fees'. I can go to the ticket booth, pay an actual person, see how full the theater is already, pick my seat, then i can go to eat or get errands done or come back the next day or whatever i feel like.

So at least around here, assigned seats do not eliminate any jobs.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Last night at the theater for Mission Impossible was the first time in the assigned seat era where we found someone sitting in the seats we bought. It was a 30 second conversation of minor confusion before being sorted out.

Assigned seats for life.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kneecaps posted:

If assigned seating was so bad, why is it used in literally every other form of live entertainment? Sports, theater, concerts...

I don’t care one way or another but this is a bad argument because all of these charge different amounts for proximity to the live action that is taking place. Though I guess that’s going to start happening in movie theaters too now last I read?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

weekly font posted:

I don’t care one way or another but this is a bad argument because all of these charge different amounts for proximity to the live action that is taking place. Though I guess that’s going to start happening in movie theaters too now last I read?

Also, General Admission is a thing at lots of those places.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
It's just like putting a rod through a cylinder, which they teach you in grade school.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Long time listener, (probably) first time caller; this latest episode makes me think I should smoke a bunch of pot and watch American Pie 2 again. I remember, being a young black man, thinking “It’s 2004 and there are no black people in this poo poo, but this is the only movie my cousins had with titties in it so lets watch this poo poo.” As a 12 year old this seemed like the peak of comedy. Obviously it wouldn’t hold up today, but I wonder just how disappointed I’ll be with my 12 year old self.

Also I love Angelica and am amused that her first sentence on the episode included the n-word. I say that poo poo at work around white people all the time and love when they pause for a split second (due to unwarranted discomfort) and then continue with their contribution to the conversation about how much we want our boss to get hit by a poo poo box from an airplane.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Like all those titty movies they’re just a product of their time. The first one was a cultural touchstone but it doesn’t hold up at all today. Like Angelica, my parents showed me Porkys way too young, that thing didn’t hold up even then but you could see why people liked it when it came out. I guess you could probably say that about most comedies though. Everyone wouldn’t shut up about that time at band camp.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Out of all movie genres, comedy is the one that holds up the least over time. Even stuff that doesn't become offensive through the lens of time just tends to get not funny. Ands its not even a case of "you already know the jokes" usually, its just stuff gets unfunny usually.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

Out of all movie genres, comedy is the one that holds up the least over time. Even stuff that doesn't become offensive through the lens of time just tends to get not funny. Ands its not even a case of "you already know the jokes" usually, its just stuff gets unfunny usually.

I’m looking at you, It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

mweber posted:

That movie is still funny. I'm sure if someone born after 1990 watched it they'd have no loving clue who anyone is.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Even a movie like Wayne's World - which is still a good movie - usually elicited little more than sensible chuckles from me the last time i watched it not 10 months ago.
That movie used to crack me up.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

mweber posted:

The rare three hour comedy.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The boys have mentioned The Flash as being a total shoo-in for January, and as far as I know, Eric is saving his viewing for then.

Considering how he's the angry one when they do CG nonsense nightmares like Transformers or Suicide Squad, it'll be interesting to see how completely furious he is for that episode. Feels like a movie specifically designed to press all his buttons.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The boys have mentioned The Flash as being a total shoo-in for January, and as far as I know, Eric is saving his viewing for then.

Considering how he's the angry one when they do CG nonsense nightmares like Transformers or Suicide Squad, it'll be interesting to see how completely furious he is for that episode. Feels like a movie specifically designed to press all his buttons.

also this...

https://twitter.com/jeremylovesyall/status/1681366754541572098?s=20

I'm dying laughing at all the flash clips coming online over the last day.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

enigmahfc posted:

Even a movie like Wayne's World - which is still a good movie - usually elicited little more than sensible chuckles from me the last time i watched it not 10 months ago.
That movie used to crack me up.

A lot of times with comedies it helps to either be high, in a group with people who haven't seen it or only vaguely remember or it, or be a teenager in the first place.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

dorium posted:

also this...

gotta thank WHM for putting "jibjab" into my vocabulary as a perfect name for those cgi monstrosities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

also this...

Someone pointed out that literally no mention or appearance of the CW/Arrowverse Flash(es) is in this which tells you all you need to know about how much thought they actually put into the concept.

They released this and shelved Batgirl.