Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I have an MG on the cheaper harbor freight 1500lb dollies without builtin jacks. It’s a very small car but I still need a second person to move it very far in my smooth and flat garage

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I’ve got an exterior garage large enough for two garage doors but it only has one, so parking two vehicles in it means I need to get creative, hence the question about dollies. I’ve looked at the plate-style caster dollies, but having to jack the car up to use them kind of makes it a no-go. With the self loading style I can move a car then drop it back onto its tires and use the dollies on something else if I need to

I have a set of generic Go Jacks and they make shuffling cars around super convenient for that reason, especially on vehicles that don't have good jacking points. I have to be careful moving my Mini around or else it gets too much momentum.

eddiewalker posted:

I have an MG on the cheaper harbor freight 1500lb dollies without builtin jacks. It’s a very small car but I still need a second person to move it very far in my smooth and flat garage

All of those cheap car dollies have garbage casters. They need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed at a minimum. I had to get new wheels for one set because all the axle holes were drilled off center.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My dad has a set of the plate with wheels version he would use to get his ~5,000lb boat through a single car garage door and then rotate sideways against the back wall. We had to jack up the trailer to put it on 4 dollies, line it up with the door, jack it up to remove the dollies to go over the expansion joint to get out the door, jack it up to put it back on dollies to make the turn once it's in the driveway, then finally jack it up to remove the dollies. It took three people to move it. Thankfully we only had to do it twice a year.

After he moved into a house with a door that was two cars wide we could at least just drive mostly in and then only put it on dollies once. Now that we've attached a winch to the wall it can be done with one person.

What were we talking about? Oh yeah, cheap dollies suck to use but they're better than nothing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

I have a set of generic Go Jacks and they make shuffling cars around super convenient for that reason, especially on vehicles that don't have good jacking points. I have to be careful moving my Mini around or else it gets too much momentum.

All of those cheap car dollies have garbage casters. They need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubed at a minimum. I had to get new wheels for one set because all the axle holes were drilled off center.

What’s the brand of your cheap go jacks?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What’s the brand of your cheap go jacks?

Motomaster, I'm sure the HF ones come from the same white label manufacturer.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The what did you do today thread talked about power bleeders which was relevant to me as I was gonna ask about them here. Motive seems to be the major recommendation, is there any real reason to go for the black label version if you aren't a shop? I'll be approaching owning a fleet of cars but it would still only get used once or twice a year in all likelihood.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

fknlo posted:

The what did you do today thread talked about power bleeders which was relevant to me as I was gonna ask about them here. Motive seems to be the major recommendation, is there any real reason to go for the black label version if you aren't a shop? I'll be approaching owning a fleet of cars but it would still only get used once or twice a year in all likelihood.

So I wrote a bunch of poo poo not knowing they introduced a black label version, I thought that was a phrase to describe the real product and a knockoff. I'd probably get the regular version I guess. The difference I would want to see in their product is a fitting to fill it from an air compressor, a swivel fitting seems like a minor upgrade to me.

Edit: I have the regular version, for reference and love it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
There was some discussion in the "What did you do to your car today" thread about the Motive power bleeder and how awesome they are...

I'm going to need to fully redo the brakes on my car at some point so I'll probably pick up a power bleeder, I was also debating getting some speed bleed fittings for the calipers just to make the whole process foolproof.

Does anyone have any experience with the speed bleeders? Are they just a gimmick or do they work well? Is it dumb and redundant to use them with a power bleeder?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boxen posted:

There was some discussion in the "What did you do to your car today" thread about the Motive power bleeder and how awesome they are...

I'm going to need to fully redo the brakes on my car at some point so I'll probably pick up a power bleeder, I was also debating getting some speed bleed fittings for the calipers just to make the whole process foolproof.

Does anyone have any experience with the speed bleeders? Are they just a gimmick or do they work well? Is it dumb and redundant to use them with a power bleeder?

I don't see why you'd need them with a pressure bleeder. All you need is a bit of hose and a bottle. If you want to get fancy buy a premade catch bottle with a hanger on it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Speed bleeders are really only a must do if you're bleeding so often (track car) that you don't want to have your spouse crawl in the car and pump the brakes for you

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I built a power bleeder for about 20 bux and it works...fine. I'm sure a real one works better but I'm cheap and don't bleed my brakes often.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe
I bought a Motive and my only complaint was that I had to buy a 3rd party Honda cap for it. Thing owns, even though it is expensive for what it actually is. Combined with a scanner that can actuate the ABS, you can get any air out of the system in half an hour.

Still didn't help with my Odyssey's soft, lovely brake pedal...

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Motronic posted:

I don't see why you'd need them with a pressure bleeder. All you need is a bit of hose and a bottle. If you want to get fancy buy a premade catch bottle with a hanger on it.

That makes sense. I'd been planning on getting speed bleeders for awhile since I rarely have an extra person around to help, but it seems like a power bleeder accomplishes the same thing and is probably faster.

skybolt_1 posted:

I bought a Motive and my only complaint was that I had to buy a 3rd party Honda cap for it. Thing owns, even though it is expensive for what it actually is.

This is kinda what I'm worried about. I could probably make something for cheaper, and it's going to be used on a mid-60's Chevrolet and I've heard the caps for those don't work well to begin with so I might end up making my own thing for that as well.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been looking at the Motive pressure bleeder for a few weeks, since I'm going to be doing brakes on all 3 cars in the next 6 months or so anyway. Are the Motive caps better than any of the third party metal caps? I was also looking at the cheaper Ares pressure bleeder, but after getting that and a set of caps, the Motive kit is only like $60 more.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

boxen posted:

I’ve not had much luck with speed bleeders. I’ve only tried them on old rusty cars, but seems like they either didn’t fit or left me with a spongy brake pedal.

So if you ask me, I’d say spend the money on a power bleeder. You’ll have someone that should work on just about any car to boot.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I made my own cap for the Galaxie with some fittings and of course, JB weld. It worked wonderfully. The new master I put on I have to use that plate with chains which are an adventure to put on. Lots of fiddling and then tightening it further than you think is on for the hardware. But it works.

Whether or not I'd buy a third party adapter would be a simple risk reward calculation. If I need the car back in service that weekend, go for the real deal. For a project car that isn't a bother if it's dead, go for aftermarket if money is tight. Otherwise get name brand as it will be reused.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Is there such a thing as a good, cheap ultrasonic cleaner? One big enough to fit, say, a disassembled carburetor?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I bought this one for my now wife shortly after we got engaged. My sister in law also bought the same model after seeing our success with it. AFAIK the transducer is solid state and should work pretty much forever

https://www.amazon.com/Magnasonic-Professional-Ultrasonic-Eyeglasses-MGUC500/dp/B007Q2M17K/

We use it about 5-10 minutes a month to clean my wife's jewelry and our eyeglasses for several years now. It holds 600ml which is big enough for a really giant pair of sunglasses. You could probably extend the sides of the vessel upwards with some sheet metal and epoxy. The transducer is at the bottom so I don't think any extensions will impact the quality. There's probably an upper limit to the mass it can ultrasonic though, it's not gonna clean your SBC block. It would probably be ok for the carb on my anemic 1.9L old car, but 4 barrel Holley might be stretching it

They're currently $33 which is about $7 less than I paid for it

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 26, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I don't think that one's gonna clean a carburetor for a car.

You'll want something in the 10 liter/quart range I think for an automotive carb. I have a 6 liter model and it feels too small a lot of the time.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

boxen posted:

Is there such a thing as a good, cheap ultrasonic cleaner? One big enough to fit, say, a disassembled carburetor?

I have some variation of this unit of which there are a dozen versions: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115813380246

It works ok. I have put carbs and such in but tbh haven't been blown away by its cleaning power. Better off with a can of berryman carb dip or something IMO

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I've got the 30L Vevor unit, 600W ultrasonic with the major benefit of fitting an entire Corvair cylinder head into the tank. It is significantly stronger than most other smaller units, but its not SUPER powerful.

Edit: Pics!

Dirty sludge covered part:

And sludge is now gone! No brushing or any other work done, just dunk and go:

It started taking the carbon off the combustion chambers, but didn't make it to bare metal.

Not pictured is the nearly 1 cup of dirt and grit contained in the now dissolved grease/grime. It settled to the bottom with lots of nice, sparkly bits in it. The water REEKED of carbon though, this thing had nearly a 1/16" in the combustion chamber and more like 1/8" in the exhaust port. Surprising amounts came off, nearly took it to the metal surface.

Commodore_64 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 26, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^
That thing is huge. Wish I had something like it!

Anyone wanna recommend a good vacuum pump / meter? For checking vacuum lines and such. I suppose a tool that can also do positive pressures would be useful.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Commodore_64 posted:

I've got the 30L Vevor unit, 600W ultrasonic with the major benefit of fitting an entire Corvair cylinder head into the tank. It is significantly stronger than most other smaller units, but its not SUPER powerful.

Edit: Pics!

Dirty sludge covered part:

And sludge is now gone! No brushing or any other work done, just dunk and go:

It started taking the carbon off the combustion chambers, but didn't make it to bare metal.

Not pictured is the nearly 1 cup of dirt and grit contained in the now dissolved grease/grime. It settled to the bottom with lots of nice, sparkly bits in it. The water REEKED of carbon though, this thing had nearly a 1/16" in the combustion chamber and more like 1/8" in the exhaust port. Surprising amounts came off, nearly took it to the metal surface.

Sup fellow vevor 30L ultrasonic cleaner haver! Be wary, the UK gov issued a recall on 34 vevor appliances, this included
https://www.gov.uk/product-safety-alerts-reports-recalls/product-safety-report-vevor-digital-ultrasonic-cleaner-jps-100a-2210-0002

e:

quote:

The product presents a high risk of electric shock as the earthing on the
appliance was found to be inadequate, with the earthing terminal not being
locked against accidental loosening. The wiring could become loose over time,
leading the appliance to become live and the user to receive an electric shock

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Seems like something you could fix yourself now you are aware of it.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

His Divine Shadow posted:

Seems like something you could fix yourself now you are aware of it.

I've definitely done this a few times on variable transformers and desoldering stations I've bought, seems to be a common theme.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So there's a chance the ground could come undone then the hot also comes undone? I know it's a machine that vibrates your parts clean but unless they volunteer to just mail you a new one, I'd just reassemble those terminals with some loctite (assuming that they're screw terminals).

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Cat Hatter posted:

So there's a chance the ground could come undone then the hot also comes undone? I know it's a machine that vibrates your parts clean but unless they volunteer to just mail you a new one, I'd just reassemble those terminals with some loctite (assuming that they're screw terminals).

Yup! That along with a good paint removal under the terminal, a sharp star washer to pierce the metal, and some dielectric grease to seal out corrosion. Overkill, but I have them so why not.

I have a rather giant ultrasonic tank I bought form work hoping to replace damaged components, maybe 6-8 times the size of the 30L unit. Buuuuuuuuuuut the controls are all Korean and there is only one US distributor who wants $2500 for the amplifier. The $250 ish Vevor really came through.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I had previously dismissed the Milwaukee praise heard here and elsewhere and told myself my Ryobi stuff is every bit as good. Now that I have picked up an M12 Fuel drill, compact impact and regular M12 ratchet, I was totally kidding myself. This stuff just feels all around better and man it's nice to have an electric ratchet without the massive One+ battery hanging off the bottom.

I am very excited to ratchet, impact and drill things now.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I bought the M18 compact bandsaw this morning at a local depot. Asked the Milwaukee rep that's always there if there were any battery promos for it and he gave me a blank look.

I figured I might as well look, and sure as poo poo, the depot website had the same sale price with an included $200 6.0 HO battery. I made a pickup order during lunch and returned the still boxed saw from this morning and left with the same bare tool and a free battery.

I guess I should have learned my lesson from starting to pick up Makita XGT poo poo online, the battery promos are always better on the depot website/acme tool website/whatever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't own any but if I did go team red I would absolutely go M12. I think it's the sweet spot for size and power and a good ecosystem.

I wish my bosch 12v had half as many options as Milwaukee because I really like the bosch otherwise. It just really lacks choice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm already an 18v Makita owner, but I bought into the Milwaukee M-12 ecosystem purely because the battery is so compact. They're wonderful!

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I feel like the M12 is clearly the best 12v system just from the range of tools. A 12v fuel drill or driver has a lot more kick than a Ryobi and they're tiny in comparison.

I had a bad thing happen where I was given a M18 bandsaw without a battery, just need to add something teal and I'll have every major brand.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I made a decision a few years back that I was only going to have one battery family ever. I went Milwaukee (only other real contender was Dewalt) and I couldn’t have been happier. Just got the Quick-Lock pole tools (hedge clipper, edger, weed whacker and pole saw) and god drat the pole saw is amazing. I already had the chainsaw which I love, but the pole saw is even better.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m invested in Milwaukee, but sometimes another brand has a great oddball tool, like the Ryobi 18v hot glue gun.

Adapters work great https://www.ebay.com/itm/202757824235

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

I don't own any but if I did go team red I would absolutely go M12. I think it's the sweet spot for size and power and a good ecosystem.

I wish my bosch 12v had half as many options as Milwaukee because I really like the bosch otherwise. It just really lacks choice.

I like my 12v Bosch stuff, especially a lot more now that big box stores carry it and I don't have to special order it online. Maybe it was pandemic related but nobody (Lowe's/home Depot) in the bay area 2020-21 carried any Bosch stuff besides drill bits and a single circular saw, now they all have a dedicated Bosch section

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got there Milwaukee framing nailer to help my buddy build a fence and it owns.

It's really difficult to not play with it and see how far out it can shoot nails

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking from experience when I was 8 and figured out how to disable the pressure switch safety on a pneumatic one, those nails can and will ricochet right back at you, wear eye protection

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I got there Milwaukee framing nailer to help my buddy build a fence and it owns.

It's really difficult to not play with it and see how far out it can shoot nails

My Paslode gas framing nailer took a poo poo a few weeks ago. I fixed it, again, but it just wasn't reliable enough for the job I'm doing right now. So, I also got the M18 framing nailer and.... man, that thing is nice. It's a couple pounds heavier than the Paslode, but so nice to work with. And immensely powerful.

I'm taking the summer, (summer, plus?) to build a deck and the Paslode was the second tool failure I have had. The first was a Ryobi One+ 6" auger. I got it because the discount place didn't have the 40v 8" auger in stock and I was putting in about 25 fence posts, 36" down.

The Ryobi One+ auger was surprisingly powerful, could easily twist out of your hands if if grabbed when you weren't expecting. A bit too overzealous on the kickback/overload protections and really fell on its face when it hit a rock, but overall, capable. Until it wasn't. As it is now, it'll start up for about a second, then stop. That's weird to me, because with a brushless motor, I figured if it turns at all, it's working, but :shrug:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
This is non automotive tool posting but I have a shitload of plumbing to do at my parents' old rear end house, a lot of which is hot water boiler plumbing/replacing old fixture supplies run with corrugated flexy copper in the crawlspace full of sand and broken glass.

In order to bribe myself to do it I finally picked up the M12 pro press tool and the pex expander for the potable stuff. I don't mind soldering but I do mind it when I'm laying on my back in the dark and dragging a tray full of fittings, torch, flux, solder, cutter, emery cloth, etc through 30 feet of broken glass.

I'm gonna have to do their well pump before winter too, and I'll feel a lot better about it with it hooked up to pex a buried in a pvc sleeve than 3/4" copper and the nightmare bullshit of old gate valves and crusty joints right before the pressure tank.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm not fully convinced of propress longevity yet, but I love me some pex and copper crush rings. Haven't done enough to justify buying an expander tool yet, and the oetiker clamp style seem to leak more often than I'd like, but I've had great luck with copper crush rings.

Also, I replace every valve I touch with a quarter turn stainless and brass ball valve, no exceptions.

Add a valve for every spur off the main line, it's very nice to be able to isolate one branch for work instead of touching the 30 year old main valve and praying it actually closes, and then praying again that it will open without starting to leak at the packing.