Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Firebert posted:

If your goal is to prevent WW3, there is no reason for Fury to not kill Rhodey Skrull. One bullet and the US will have to step back and realized that they are compromised too. I don't get it.

He didn't want to get shot in return.

Oh you mean why didn't he shoot him when he had a gun to his head and the only other agent was broken arm guy? Well, uh.

Also lol that the President of the United States was driven to some hospital by some guy and there's zero security of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Parkingtigers posted:

Best made episode so far, at least this one rattles along and things happen. Made me wish that Olivia Coleman was the lead, not Fury, because she's way better at being Nick Fury than Nick Fury right now.

Lol at Fury's wife going on about how the house provided privacy and security and then immediately some bad bastards turn up and show how easily this house, that doesn't even have bulletproof glass, can be found and penetrated. Luckily the first shots miss so they can have an action scene shooting... whoever it was that was attacking. (And just as I said earlier, of course she had guns in the house, so why Skrull Rhodey was sending her to pick up a gun was ridiculous.)

Lol, I was having these EXACT thoughts while watching

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I don't care much for the CinemaSins style of pointing out small details but there are so many holes in logic and plotting that it's just too much. The show is just complete nonsense. This is easily the worst MCU thing I've ever seen.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I just don't think the secret invasion leads itself to a "no hero" plot. We are at a point where the world is on the line. A super Skull is in play. The Skrulls on earth is just as much a Captain Marvel issue as it is a Nick Fury issue. You would think he could at least call in Carol Danvers to help clean this up. The even specifically mentioned her this episode when talking about the harvest.

Also...the Skrulls are a space fairing race with advanced technology. They got to earth somehow. They should have a ton of ships in orbit or on the planet, why do they live like homeless people.

I guess the entire thing seems small and filled with budget cuts. The gunfight with the President involved really showed this. It looked like it was filmed in someone backyard with a handful of extras.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I am fairly sure it is setting up The Marvels in some way

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

koolkal posted:

I don't care much for the CinemaSins style of pointing out small details but there are so many holes in logic and plotting that it's just too much. The show is just complete nonsense. This is easily the worst MCU thing I've ever seen.

Not even the worst this year but still a troubling direction.

Thr worst part is that it feels like there's a good two hour movie about G'iah dealing with her conflicted feelings in here. Instead we follow an inert Fury around so Jackson can give a phoned in performance. But at least Natasha's ex boyfriend or whatever popped up.. (Spoilering that seems ridiculous. Does anyone care?)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Emilia Clarke can't act worth a poo poo. There's a reason for her being in nothing after GoT.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Vintersorg posted:

Emilia Clarke can't act worth a poo poo. There's a reason for her being in nothing after GoT.

I thought I read she had a stroke between two of the early seasons and basically forgot how to act as a result.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

KPC_Mammon posted:

I thought I read she had a stroke between two of the early seasons and basically forgot how to act as a result.

She has had multiple strokes and brain aneurysms that killed parts of her brain. She also runs a charity for stroke victims.

quote:

“The amount of my brain that is no longer usable—it’s remarkable that I am able to speak, sometimes articulately, and live my life completely normally with absolutely no repercussions. I am in the really, really, really small minority of people that can survive that.” Clarke went on to recall looking at the scans of her brain after both medical incidents, explaining, “There’s quite a bit missing. Which always makes me laugh…Strokes, basically, as soon as any part of your brain doesn’t get blood for a second, it’s gone. So the blood finds a different route to get around, but then whatever bit is missing is therefore gone.”

quote:

“My full name is Emilia Isobel Euphemia Rose Clark,” she wrote. “But now I couldn’t remember it. Instead, nonsense words tumbled out of my mouth and I went into a blind panic. I’d never experienced fear like that—a sense of doom closing in. I could see my life ahead, and it wasn’t worth living. I am an actor; I need to remember my lines. Now I couldn’t recall my name...In my worst moments, I wanted to pull the plug.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ok I hadn’t heard that before as someone who didn’t get into GoT

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Me either, it sucks and I feel for her. She can coast off that GoT money I am sure but I guess she wants to keep trying.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

live with fruit posted:

Not even the worst this year but still a troubling direction.

Thr worst part is that it feels like there's a good two hour movie about G'iah dealing with her conflicted feelings in here. Instead we follow an inert Fury around so Jackson can give a phoned in performance. But at least Natasha's ex boyfriend or whatever popped up.. (Spoilering that seems ridiculous. Does anyone care?)

What would you consider worse? The other marvel things are Ant-Man and GotG3. GotG3 is clearly better, and at least Ant-Man was done in two hours and one sitting, as well as having bright interesting visuals. For me, Secret Invasion is by far the worst thing so far. Love and Thunder has Chris Hemsworth, who is charismatic regardless of the boringness of the movie. Multiverse of Madness was mediocre mostly because it really should have been more Wanda focused. Black Widow is back to having a very charismatic cast. Eternals is probably the only thing that can contend with the badness of Secret Invasion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really enjoyed Quantiumania, but its a Flash Gordon movie, not an Ant-Man movie. They literally could have put any set of heroes in there and the movie would have been basically the same. I do want to see more Cassie Lang though.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Super Deuce posted:

What would you consider worse? The other marvel things are Ant-Man and GotG3. GotG3 is clearly better, and at least Ant-Man was done in two hours and one sitting, as well as having bright interesting visuals. For me, Secret Invasion is by far the worst thing so far. Love and Thunder has Chris Hemsworth, who is charismatic regardless of the boringness of the movie. Multiverse of Madness was mediocre mostly because it really should have been more Wanda focused. Black Widow is back to having a very charismatic cast. Eternals is probably the only thing that can contend with the badness of Secret Invasion.

This is bad but Quantumania was painful.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I thought the scene of him threatening to shoot Don Cheadle and then not doing being followed by Olivia Coleman straight up shooting that guy in the leg and having him turn into a skrull was ridiculous
You can't have those two next to each other!

I understand they were saying Don Cheadle might get Fury shot but you turn into a skrull SO FAST
And they have different coloured blood!

Another instance too of torture working since Coleman found the scientist after shooting her boss in the leg.

And Chekov's Beto did end up being kinda pointless. Why not just have Pagun do that bit? Instead of killing him earlier? Eh

The shootout was loving stupid. When did they have time to plan that?? If it had been Priscilla and Fury? Yea okay sure. But not those two, basically strangers.

Plus don't call the UK england for fucks sake american shows. And Finland isn't scandinavia, it's Nordic. Runic writing on a tomb in a finnish cemetary felt weird and lazy

Taear fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 19, 2023

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m confused why notWarmachine had to tell the president the Russian were working with the skrulls instead of just pointing out the obvious number of dead skrull bodies in Russian equipment at the ambush

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Even if Fury doesn't want to use Captain Birdmerica or anybody else, why hasn't the president? It's beyond stupid he hasn't asked Rhodey to do anything. The show is just bad at every turn.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So does that billion dollar piece of tech they talk about, the Widow's Veil mean that Maria Hill is possibly still alive and has infiltrated the Skrulls? That's just such a teaser to drop, that it can change faces and the newer version can change bodies. It would be awesome if they set her up as a deep cover agent. I've found it strange she has been credited every episode, right at the beginning of the credits.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Super Deuce posted:

Even if Fury doesn't want to use Captain Birdmerica or anybody else, why hasn't the president? It's beyond stupid he hasn't asked Rhodey to do anything. The show is just bad at every turn.

The skrull could just replace the president
There's legit no other point I can think of in the entire show, nothing makes sense because of that one fact

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

ShowTime posted:

So does that billion dollar piece of tech they talk about, the Widow's Veil mean that Maria Hill is possibly still alive and has infiltrated the Skrulls? That's just such a teaser to drop, that it can change faces and the newer version can change bodies. It would be awesome if they set her up as a deep cover agent. I've found it strange she has been credited every episode, right at the beginning of the credits.

There's been a clip of her in every episode to justify it but I was thinking the same thing

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

maybealabia posted:

There's been a clip of her in every episode to justify it but I was thinking the same thing

If she was Beto it would have made sense

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taear posted:

If she was Beto it would have made sense

Yes. Enough of this "Ursa Major was in Black Widow" guff. Give us Sunspot right now. We need him

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

I’m confused why notWarmachine had to tell the president the Russian were working with the skrulls instead of just pointing out the obvious number of dead skrull bodies in Russian equipment at the ambush

I'm confused where all these pictures of Talos from the attack came from.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

live with fruit posted:

I'm confused where all these pictures of Talos from the attack came from.

Given that Fury and Talos just drove up to the fire fight and strolled over to the president without getting shot or yelled at, I'm assuming some amateur photographer just wandered over. poo poo, why the hell did the SS just let this random dude with no rank or identification just take the president in his own car

Also, that whole "I didn't want to actually kill Fury I need him alive despite everything that you've seen up until this episode" seems like 24 season 6 levels of bad

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

WhyteRyce posted:

Also, that whole "I didn't want to actually kill Fury I need him alive despite everything that you've seen up until this episode" seems like 24 season 6 levels of bad

It's dumb either way but I assumed it was a face saving lie, so more of an in character type of dumb in this case

Maybe

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was also very dumb that Gravik's followers' plan was to I guess punch him to death? No one thought to bring a knife?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Terrorist insurgent group whose "officers" have zero ability to get a gun

I mean that probably wouldn't have worked either but showing that would at least make sense

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

if he already has a super skrull machine why hasn't he made a bunch of super skrulls and why do they give a gently caress about getting the blood of all the avengers?

am I supposed to be all worried about them making a superer skrull machine?

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Is this the single worst piece of media in the entire MCU so far? I'm gonna say yes.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

TIP posted:

if he already has a super skrull machine why hasn't he made a bunch of super skrulls and why do they give a gently caress about getting the blood of all the avengers?

am I supposed to be all worried about them making a superer skrull machine?

I think this episode was supposed to be Gravik's "kick the puppy" moment when it turns out he's actually insane and just wants to make himself a god or whatever by just pumping himself full of Avengers blood

Just bursting at the seams with DNA

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MokBa posted:

Is this the single worst piece of media in the entire MCU so far? I'm gonna say yes.

It's definitely the worst year for MCU media and we've still got the rumoredly dumped Echo still to come.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

koolkal posted:

I think this episode was supposed to be Gravik's "kick the puppy" moment when it turns out he's actually insane and just wants to make himself a god or whatever by just pumping himself full of Avengers blood

Just bursting at the seams with DNA

Agreed but his original plan was already cackling insane evil, I feel like they didn't actually NEED to go further here
Maybe so the other skrulls can be redeemed I guess

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

C'mon, y'all, Skrhodey is right there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

koolkal posted:

It's only fun to do when the show has zero loving emotional heft into which you can sink your teeth.

That's the real problem here. The window dressing being a shitshow too is just easier for people to point out. And like you, I loving hate what CinemaSins has done to criticism; convincing an entire internet generation that not being media literate is just as good as being so. But god drat, I really can't blame people for doing it here. There's just nothing going on.

It's pretty hosed up that the two D+ shows with black leads are the ones that felt like fuckin' afterthoughts. Particularly when one of them had goddamn Captain America in it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Timby posted:

C'mon, y'all, Skrhodey is right there.

Tony Stark is rolling in his grave that no one has said thisnyet.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Great that Fury has all the Avengers DNA mixed together in one vial. Just a super soup.
This is the worst of the MCU so far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Like we needed to know Gravik was insane, but at least there is divisions shown within his faction. It was still pretty silly.

At least the resulting fight had some neat stuff in it. I liked him kicking that knife into the guys head. But I did like Gi'ah and Dr Mrs Fury shootout, especially when they shot the guy that was half way through the window and he just hung there.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

It's pretty hosed up that the two D+ shows with black leads are the ones that felt like fuckin' afterthoughts. Particularly when one of them had goddamn Captain America in it.

In what way does FAWS feel like an afterthought?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

live with fruit posted:

In what way does FAWS feel like an afterthought?

If not for COVID it may have been good, maybe? It screwed up a lot of filming, also the original script called for the Flag Smashers to release a virus that eliminated half of humanity, so a rewrite was wisely done. The push and rush to get it released made it look like an afterthought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

swickles posted:

If not for COVID it may have been good, maybe? It screwed up a lot of filming, also the original script called for the Flag Smashers to release a virus that eliminated half of humanity, so a rewrite was wisely done. The push and rush to get it released made it look like an afterthought.

FAWS might be a mess but I disagree that it feels phoned in to the degree of Secret Invasion, or at all. It had something to actually say and established Sam as his own version of Captain America.