Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

The Protagonist posted:

ill eat the paint in rising portions, building up my tolerance to both lead and radiation

I already am eating from zhe paint can all de time. Zhe name of thish paint can is egg schell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

memes really are the best way to negotiate one's way through the existential dread and anticipatory grief of biosphere collapse :unsmith:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
What's the generation after Z? OH.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Alpha

and then, Omega :getin:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/BigMeanInternet/status/1681027552217841664?t=0ZlVT2flaIkyGpyJMdjjSw&s=19

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Obviously now-tropical Eastern US will be the so-called "banana basket" of the free world, manned by enslaved climate refugees from the southern/southwestern states

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

4d3d3d posted:

I already am eating from zhe paint can all de time. Zhe name of thish paint can is egg schell.

:hmmyes:
*snnnnffffffgthh*

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

beefing with whatever pro growth lefties are seems like a terrible waste of time

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Dog Case posted:

Here's a happy dog who has somehow survived 16 years without being poisoned by neighbors. Eat him if you want, I bet he'd taste awful

Thanks, looks delicious!

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
pro growth could mean just about anything in this context, we are looking down the gun barrel of omnicide

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
7-11 really does have a lot of bananas. more than i would expect. there's no way they are selling all those

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mistermojo posted:

whatever pro growth lefties are

they're liberals op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

mistermojo posted:

beefing with whatever pro growth lefties are seems like a terrible waste of time

Yeah you'd have to be a fool to go against China, which will grow larger

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Pro grower not shower

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i feel like the discussions on climate change and how we need to reduce emissions or else we will all die could be at the very least focusing on increasing efficiency and disincentivizing energetically wasteful practices until we have a much larger share of our energy source be from non-emitting resources. instead they focus on abstracted nothing; just a blurry distorted image with CONSUME stamped over the top in blood

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if even one person cannot get a banana at the gas station at any time it means we have failed as a society. i'd rather throw out a billion bananas

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003

Stereotype posted:

7-11 really does have a lot of bananas. more than i would expect. there's no way they are selling all those

I walked into a 711 in Florida once and an entire isle was nothing but bananas. Was pretty weird

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

my 711 only sells apples and boner pills

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

OIL PANIC posted:

Can some ashes-ashes-head recommend an especially good episode? I'm poking around the most recent eps and it's not really clicking for me.↵
also, i'd recommend Drilled as a p-good climate-adjacent podcast.

go for the episode early on that's about noise

e: the early ones in general are fun as they slowly go insane (like us)

also I haven't listened to that many episodes so don't take me as gospel or anything

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

man I’m good with just the fruit coming off my trees under the breezeways I built with misters than run off the public pressurized water supply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWVtIn7UWVg

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Stereotype posted:

disincentivizing energetically wasteful practices

job killer

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

OIL PANIC posted:

folks, I'm here to tell you, I have searched, deeply, in my soul, and I am here to tell you: nothing is wrong.
sometimes, though, it sure feels like something may be wrong. maybe someone says, 'there are fewer insects nowadays', or maybe the weatherman says, 'it's hotter than it's ever been'. frightening stuff, right? when somebody gets you worried, just look inside and remember: nothing. is. wrong.
sometimes, even knowing that nothing is wrong may not seen like enough. sometimes you want some stronger medicine. when it gets to that point, for me, there's one thing that i, that you, can do, that will always make you feel better:
vote.
vote early, vote often. vote with your wallet, vote with the way you dress. let your vote, YOUR vote, say to people: 'nothing is wrong. i vote, my vote is heard, nothing is wrong.'
thank you

thank you for injecting some much needed rational reality into this thread

voting does matter

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Honky Mao posted:

Obviously now-tropical Eastern US will be the so-called "banana basket" of the free world, manned by enslaved climate refugees from the southern/southwestern states

You're maybe thinking of psycho tropical Berlin (imagine idk the herculoids or w/e weird genre). The south & eastern US will be a fully sunken state of mutant alligators & crocodiles

I can only assume that map that has KANGA-RAT MURDER SOCIETY and all that kind of crazy bullshit is the most likely future at this point

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
I plan on winning the powerball tonight so none of this unpleasantness will ever be able to affect me. Best of luck to the rest of you.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

netizen posted:

I plan on winning the powerball tonight so none of this unpleasantness will ever be able to affect me. Best of luck to the rest of you.

could you send me $20?

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

hopefully we're a long way out from dogs being eaten, which is the final stage of famine before people just lie down and die (because dogs generally don't taste good if they haven't been specially raised for meat.) it's still necessary to plan one's pet ownership around climate change. certain breeds do better in a harsh climate than others, dogs that are kept fit will fare much better in temperature extremes than out-of-shape ones, smaller dogs of course cost less to feed, and flat-faced dogs struggle in the heat. giving money to someone who breeds pugs is more of a sin than it ever was.

a strange fowl has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Jul 20, 2023

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
Labradors are also problematic unless you stock up on paint

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Honky Mao posted:

Exact reason why I will not be having kids

Same, I don't want my kids to grow up to be dog poachers

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
anyone buying a husky that lives in an apartment or a desert should be pressganged into fighting the fires so I can go to applebees without smelling smoke

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

cash crab posted:

could you send me $20?

Look at you asking for handouts. This is why I am rich and you are poor.

protip: invest in scratchers

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

The Protagonist posted:

dont worry yall we can recycle anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYFkDnN8IIo&t=34s

how is microplastics formed

this video is premium tier crack-ping - so insanely stupid

THEY THINK THEY"RE HELPING

greenwashing at it's finest

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

netizen posted:

Look at you asking for handouts. This is why I am rich and you are poor.

protip: invest in scratchers

could you send me $20 for scratchers

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

starkebn posted:

this video is premium tier crack-ping - so insanely stupid

THEY THINK THEY"RE HELPING

greenwashing at it's finest

Don't be so hasty to write it off, that material looks like it would make great guillotines to use for incredible poetic justice

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

protip is to have pet chickens if you can

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Stereotype posted:

Mine up the street went out of business. It was nothing but soda, candy, snacks, rolling papers, lotto tickets, 5 hour energy drinks, and bananas. They probably sold 3 a week because they were always banana bread level of ripeness. They had to have one thing so everyone could pretend that we're not in a food desert.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

EVs Are Sending Toxic Tire Particles Into the Water, Soil, and Air

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2023/07/electric-vehicles-tires-wearing-out-particulates/674750/

quote:

Electric vehicles, you might have heard, are miraculous. Just a sliver of new cars sold in the United States are EVs, but these machines have united a mishmash of people eager to move America away from gasoline. Environmental groups are all-in, and the federal government is offering hefty incentives to spur sales. Automakers now offer twice as many EV models as before the pandemic, and are pumping out endless commercials to promote them. “We believe in an all-electric future,” General Motors CEO Mary Barra said in an interview a few weeks ago. Even car enthusiasts are getting on board: YouTube offers endless videos of people racing their EVs.

Such enthusiasm is warranted. The urgency of climate change requires electrifying the 278 million personal vehicles plying American roadways as quickly as we can. After all, EVs are far more climate-friendly than equivalent gas-powered models because they eliminate the tailpipe emissions that warm the planet and pollute the air. Better yet, EVs are simply fun to drive: Most models are quicker and quieter than your average gas car.

But that is not the full story. EVs also produce emissions beyond what spews from their tailpipe. Like all cars, their tires are constantly rubbing against pavement, releasing particulates that float through the air and leach into waterways, damaging human health and wildlife. New EV models tend to be heavier and quicker—generating more particulates and deepening the danger. In other words, EVs have a tire-pollution problem, and one that is poised to get worse as America begins to adopt electric cars en masse. None of this is inevitable. EVs don’t need to be so massive and lightning-fast—these are choices that the auto industry has made. All of us will pay the price.

This pollution is the inevitable result of the tire wear that every car owner experiences over time. Composed of hundreds of ingredients that can include natural and artificial rubber, petroleum, nylon, and steel, tires constantly spit out tiny bits of material, much of it invisible to the naked eye. The rate at which your tires break down will depend on many factors, but the cumulative quantity of tire pollution, ranging from visible pieces of rubber to nanoparticles, is staggering: as much as 6 million metric tons annually worldwide, according to a report from Imperial College London. “We are generating an enormous amount of rubber wear that ends up in the atmosphere as very small particles or on the road surfaces as large particles that get washed away,” Marc Masen, a mechanical engineer at Imperial College and a co-author of that report, told me. Rougher surfaces tend to produce larger tire chunks that settle on the ground, while smoother roadways, such as freshly paved highways, generate minuscule ones that can float in the air for hundreds of feet.

Much about tire pollution is still unknown. Compared with tailpipe emissions, tire particles are more difficult to measure in a laboratory and to isolate in the real world, where various kinds of car pollution mix together, Masen said. Only in recent years has the toll started to come into view. As a form of microplastics, tire pollution hits wildlife hard: Compounds that settle on the ground gradually leach toxic chemicals into the soil and water. One study concluded that tires could be responsible for as much as 28 percent of the microplastics in global oceans; another found them to be among the largest sources of such pollutants in the San Francisco Bay. Microplastics can be consumed by tiny aquatic organisms, wreaking havoc as they travel up food chains. A University of Washington study in 2020 traced a collapse in Northwestern-coho-salmon populations to 6PPD, a chemical added to tires to slow their wearing down.

The smallest tire particles, measured in mere nanometers, can enter our lungs and spread to our organs. Various tire components have been linked to chronic conditions including respiratory problems, kidney damage, neurological damage, and birth defects—a particular concern in neighborhoods adjacent to highways, whose residents skew low-income and minority. Tire particles could also affect us through our food because their chemicals can work their way into the algae and grass consumed by fish and cows. In the U.S., tire emissions aren’t regulated at all; though more stringent rules have made cars cleaner, research reported in The Guardian last year found that in newer cars, pollution from tires is much greater than tailpipe emissions.

Electrification is poised to make these problems significantly worse. EVs use “regenerative braking,” which captures energy as they slow down; all braking causes tire friction, but EVs are designed to automatically do so more often in order to gain small amounts of power. Another factor is torque, or engine power. With instant torque, EVs are able to accelerate significantly faster than gas cars. The Kia EV6 SUV, for instance, goes from zero to 60 miles per hour in 3.5 seconds, comparable to a gas-powered Aston Martin DBS 770 Ultimate. “With an average Tesla you can win a drag race with a Porsche,” Masen said. “That’s not good for the tires.”

EVs can also be very heavy, which further worsens tire wear. The addition of a massive battery can dramatically increase a car’s weight: A Ford F-150 Lightning, for instance, weighs about 35 percent more than a gas-powered F-150. The Hummer EV is even more gigantic; its battery alone weighs roughly as much as some Toyota Corolla models.

EV owners have already started noticing that their tires are wearing down quickly. A recent survey conducted by J.D. Power and Associates found that rapid treadwear is the biggest complaint that EV owners have about their tires. “They’re expecting 40,000 miles out of their tires, and they’re getting 13,000,” Ashley Edgar, J.D. Power’s senior director of automotive-supplier benchmarking and alternative mobility, told me.

With both tire-emissions analysis and EV adoption still in their infancy, it’s hard to say how much worse the pollution problems could grow. Masen hopes that the urgency of the issue will push researchers and the industry to look for potential fixes, but developing solutions will take time, and heavy, quick EVs make the problem tougher. “The tire people look at the tires, the car people look at the cars, and the road people look at the roads, but it needs to come together,” he said.

Some tire companies have launched new EV-specific products that are designed for added durability. Earlier this year, Bridgestone unveiled the Turanza EV, a new model that the company claims “is engineered to elevate your EV experience with excellent tread life.” Such specialized EV tires don’t come cheap: Bridgestone’s website lists them for $315.99 with a 50,000 mile warranty, compared with $295.99 and 80,000 miles for the non-EV version. Better tires can help, but only to an extent. The bigger issue is that many U.S. automakers have built part of their business strategy around selling hefty SUVs and trucks with juicy profit margins, and they will continue doing so. Sedans are becoming an endangered species on U.S. car lots, where about four out of five new cars are either an SUV or a truck. As EV sales have grown, the cars are only getting bigger; GM recently killed off the modest-size Chevy Bolt—its most popular electric model—and is retooling its factory to instead build electric pickup trucks.

Carmakers could, if they chose, offer Americans the kinds of small EVs that are available in other countries, but no such move seems forthcoming. They could also temper their EVs’ acceleration, thereby reducing tire erosion. Instead, they are opting to sell electric SUVs that resemble race cars. Zero-to-60 speeds have been a mainstay of car marketing for decades, and the stunning pickup of EVs might, theoretically, attract new buyers. But it quickens tire erosion while serving no practical purpose. “If you can get from zero to 60 in seven seconds, you’re fine,” Jennifer Stockburger, the director of operations at the Consumer Reports auto-test center, told me. “Anything beyond that is a fun factor.”

The threat of growing tire pollution is hardly the only societal danger that the auto industry is foisting on the American public through its large and fast EVs. Tires that wear out quicker present other safety hazards: “Braking, hydroplaning, and winter traction could get worse, Stockburger said, “and then you’ve got this heavy vehicle spinning out.” Such cars could endanger pedestrians, bikers, and other drivers, deepening a roadway-safety crisis that is unique to the U.S. And the huge batteries they require consume scarce minerals that could otherwise power smaller, more efficient models.

These problems could be avoided if the federal government took a stand against unnecessary EV speed and size. National Transportation Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy has warned about these dangers, but Congress and the Department of Transportation have avoided the issue. The threat of worsening tire pollution is yet another danger of putting so much power over the future of our planet in the hands of car companies. Even as they reduce one kind of pollution, they might make another kind worse.

Turns out that when you have vehicles that go from 0 to 60 in 3.5 and weigh 8000 pounds, making them electric is still bad. Who knew? :iiam:

I know I have taken heat for saying cars are not going away, but they don't have to be these monstrosities that have 1 person in them and treat a light turning green like a drag race.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Shifty Nipples posted:

protip is to have pet chickens if you can

or all white ducks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I know I have taken heat for saying cars are not going away, but they don't have to be these monstrosities that have 1 person in them and treat a light turning green like a drag race.

It's very profitable though so...