Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i swear that's at least a few textbook examples of introducing non-native wildlife to places

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Horses are a sustainable, low carbon footprint, stealthy, airdroppable multipurpose transportation solution capable of traversing rough terrain and limited self sustainment in the field.

Potential roles include:
Prime mover
Reconnaissance
Search and rescue
Screening/raiding
MRE substitute

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

You probably can't just round up horses and them dump them in a desert for a few years and forget about them when there isn't a war on.

Breeding, feeding, caring for, shoeing, vetting, horses cost way more than trucks. There’s a book about the logistics of horses in ww1 and it’s a little mind blowing. Battalion level forges to make horseshoes, a Farrier a MOS kind of thing.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Weka posted:

I don't think the surge in inflation and the raised interest rates to control it are good for America's economy.

i dont think they give a gently caress about the concerns of peasants like me or you.

in fact id argue they never did

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do you blindfold them before you push them out of a plane ?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

Breeding, feeding, caring for, shoeing, vetting, horses cost way more than trucks. There’s a book about the logistics of horses in ww1 and it’s a little mind blowing. Battalion level forges to make horseshoes, a Farrier a MOS kind of thing.

farriers are loving insane. even if they dont get horseinjured that's chronic back injury central

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Selling horses to the Union Army made some of the first millionares in the US midwest, it’s covered in Hess’ books on Civil War Logistics. That depot outside Washington alone had like 10 000 horses.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Remount_Service

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Horses are a sustainable, low carbon footprint, stealthy, airdroppable

Do not weep when we tell you of this sudden passing, but rather rejoice and give thanks, because a cherished friend has departed from this world for a most joyful reunion with our Creator: The horse we’ve been training to skydive has returned to the arms of the Lord.

Hallelujah, hallelujah, our horse has come to his eternal reward in the glorious Kingdom of Heaven!

Yesterday, we unexpectedly said goodbye to born entertainer and all-around good horse Rutherford B. Hooves, the Inimitable Stallion of the Skies, who with just a little more time and training might have one day been known across the world as the only horse who could skydive. Yet far from feeling sorrow, we’re feeling content and even a bit celebratory today, because Rutherford’s eternal spirit now resides in the loving embrace of our Almighty Lord where he shall receive God’s divine grace forever and ever. How blessed is he to ascend higher than any skydive could ever take him, and how blessed are we to know our equine pupil now kneels before the throne of Christ Jesus at the right hand of God the Father in his everlasting Kingdom!

Looking back, we think Rutherford must have known the hour of his reunion with the Lord was nigh upon him. While in the past he had been anxious and fidgety whenever we took him up in the Cessna to get him acclimated to high altitudes, he’d seemed calm and strangely at peace on our last couple practice flights. At the time we chalked this up to his growing familiar with the cramped plane interior and loud rumble of the engine, but now we’re certain he felt the holy presence of the Lord he was soon to meet. He’d also seemed unusually preoccupied during the skydiving instructional videos we’d play for him at half speed so his horse brain could have extra time to process them, even though we would always hang a carrot between him and the screen to keep him looking in the right direction. But again, what horse could concern himself with such mundane affairs knowing that God’s glory was soon to be his in paradise?

God is truly great, and He has called back His faithful servant. Praise be to Him on this triumphant day!

We’ll always cherish the time we spent training Rutherford to skydive: The sugar cubes we’d give him for successfully pulling a ripcord with his teeth, the way he’d stare blankly at us while we explained how to execute a hook turn with his canopy, the quiet evenings brushing him after a long day practicing free fall stability in a vertical wind tunnel. And someday soon, once we’ve cleaned off and done some troubleshooting on the prototype horse parachute God Himself revealed to us in a vision, we know Rutherford will watch over the next horse we find to continue his life’s work of becoming the first horse on earth who can skydive.

In Jesus’s name, we bid you be jubilant! Though we wish we could have seen Rutherford perform one successful skydive before he left us, his entrance to heaven is the greatest victory that we as his trainers could ever win. Thanks be to God, Amen!

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

euphronius posted:

do you blindfold them before you push them out of a plane ?

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/royal-artillery/7-para-royal-horse-artillery/

these alleged royal para horse artillery are really loving cagey about whether there are any actual horses anywhere

bullshit

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Parachute artillery loving slaps

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Gee I wonder if the war thread is discussing how Odessa got rocked again?

Nope, it’s all about them horses.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah Odessa been getting bombed for three days straight now.

Next time tell us when there isn't something blowing up over there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Whoever came up with this is an insane genius:

Parachute Mechanized Artillery :jeb:

Endman
May 18, 2010

whoops

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

nsfw but blurred

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The gruelling day of manual labour and cleaning where the gun sheds needs to be swept out, washed, and have the floors waxed, and the trucks detailed to an absurd degree are called Stable Days.

They suck enough without having to muck out however much horseshit they would have had way back when.

More horse lore: There is no known effective repellant for horseflies that inhibits both attraction and biting. Instead, there are horsefly traps/decoys, which consist of a brown/black ball on a pendulum and a net.

Related, horseflies are attracted to movement, dark brown-black shapes and sweat/possibly exhalation. This means - and this is true, black soldiers are much more badly affected by them than whites when in the field. As Canada’s training areas are mostly in poorly drained parts of the Canadian Shield, you can see the problem.

On tourist excursions up north, outfitters know it’s not unusual for a cloud of horseflies to be swarming around the black person in the group while ignoring everyone else.

Light coloured horses are also less affected than dark, part of why having the trap/decoy be darker than the horses on a given farm helps, but it’s funny that something that would happen to Keven Hart in Jumanji is real.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Nix Panicus posted:

It cannot be emphasized enough how 2 wasnt just a 'reasonable' position but the absolute iron clad reality proven over and over that Europeans were useless cowards at best and more likely traitorous beasts like Poland

There is literally a memoir of a French general staff officer who was part of the final military mission to the USSR, where he writes that they literally admitted this to their shocked Soviet counterparts: "We have been sent with no authority to promise even a strictly defensive alliance. In the event that we do go to war, we commit to taking no substantial action whatsoever. We are probably not even capable of doing so anyway. Best case scenario, which, again, we do not commit to, you will have to fight 90% of the Wehrmacht on your own." [paraphrased]

Endman
May 18, 2010

Horseflies, get loving canceled!!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Endman posted:

whoops

--8<----
nws that poo poo, can't stand seeing tanks treated like that

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about horses. On one hand it's sad that so many of them get killed in human wars. But on the other hand, they seem disturbingly stupid for such a large animal.

Poor horse, thought of war and died

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Horses are normal.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Homeless Friend posted:

nsfw but blurred

Lol thanks.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

Majorian posted:

My HS history class teacher was cool so we basically spent that part collectively laughing at the Poles sending cavalry out against tanks.

If you actually want a reason to laugh at Poles, you could point to them putting 1/3 of their army in Danzig, where they were absolutely guaranteed to be immediately encircled, no matter what. I think the Germans could have ended up in real trouble, with dangerously slow progress and awaiting Soviet and Western reactions, if not for that gently caress-up.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punished Turtle posted:

Horses are normal.

Post on your main account, Fritz.:argh:

Pomeroy posted:

If you actually want a reason to laugh at Poles, you could point to them putting 1/3 of their army in Danzig, where they were absolutely guaranteed to be immediately encircled, no matter what. I think the Germans could have ended up in real trouble, with dangerously slow progress and awaiting Soviet and Western reactions, if not for that gently caress-up.

lol I didn't remember that, but yeah, that's an unwise move!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

Horseflies, get loving canceled!!

I appreciate the studies that show if mosquitoes or horseflies were to disappear overnight there would be no major negative ecological consequence but I am extremely wary of any government agency, Bill Gates, or tech start up that claims to be working on the problem through some sort of generic engineering.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Majorian posted:

Post on your main account, Fritz.:argh:

Fritz is normal now and living his best life.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Frosted Flake posted:

I appreciate the studies that show if mosquitoes or horseflies were to disappear overnight there would be no major negative ecological consequence but I am extremely wary of any government agency, Bill Gates, or tech start up that claims to be working on the problem through some sort of generic engineering.

i feel like too many things eat mosquitos for this to be true

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
haven't we already wiped out like half of the bugs already with climate change? and the economy is doing just fine... checkmate tankies

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

William Henry Gates III promised me an anti-mosquito laser over a decade ago and he still hasn't delivered. Apparently people have taken this challenge into their own hands with Rasberry Pis and such. The problem seem to be that it's difficult to have a powerful enough laser to kill a mosquito without having a laser powerful enough to blind people.

Edit: I wonder if you could just target the wings or something, get a mobility kill on the little bastards.
Edit2: That's literally what the original was supposed to do, I guess a laser that vaporizes wings is always going to be bad for eyes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKm8FolQ7jw

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 03:18 on Jul 20, 2023

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

haven't we already wiped out like half of the bugs already with climate change? and the economy is doing just fine... checkmate tankies

I think the bugs thing is more from tire dust

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Someone did publish a study a couple of years ago that the number of things going extinct went up as humans started migrating.

But it's not the end of the world yet.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Spergin Morlock posted:

I think the bugs thing is more from tire dust

nah it's from deforestation, pesticide use, artificial light pollution, and climate change

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
bugs ftl

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The world probably needs mosquitoes and horseflies sadly.

Speaking of which, huge mosquitoes are not the problem, it is the little guys. Also, the only way out is to out run them.

———

Seems like the heights around Klishchiivka are were retaken again, it is just bait at this point.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:24 on Jul 20, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

America legalized weed in 2012 and here we are today. Tell me that's not partly responsible for all this poo poo.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

mawarannahr posted:

America legalized weed in 2012 and here we are today.

I’m calling out this post as disinformation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mawarannahr posted:

America legalized weed in 2012 and here we are today. Tell me that's not partly responsible for all this poo poo.

I would say 90% max is from weed.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

just the good ones like the pollinators

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedyblissoption posted:

more polls for the poll god
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1673837331063635969

these are allegedly polls of the non-annexed parts of ukraine

wheres the loving piece of poo poo who framed these questions as negative statements instead of positive ones

was he deliberately trying to confuse respondents into thinking that "yes" meant that you thought ukraine did have a neonazi problem even though it actually means you think they dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Weka posted:

I don't think the surge in inflation and the raised interest rates to control it are good for America's economy.

Well no of course not. It's a temporary boost to a portion of the economy that will inevitably lead to a crash but it gives a little bump to some rich guys in the short term so they'll put hundreds of thousands of people through a meat grinder to marginally increase their wealth