Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I like horses, some of them are nice and most of them like to get scratched behind their ears. They shouldn't have to do wars or haul cops around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about horses. On one hand it's sad that so many of them get killed in human wars. But on the other hand, they seem disturbingly stupid for such a large animal. When I think of large animals, I think of elephants or whales - wise social creatures. But then you have horses, who appear to think of nothing at all. They simply exist.

But perhaps that is their wisdom. The horse does not trouble itself with the chaos and uncertainty of reality. It simply lives, like a tree. Maybe the human on its back is leading it into violence, but that is a concern for more pitiful beings, damned by their sapience.

im one of the only people who likes the steven spielberg movie war horse for these reasons

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

You can tell the war's going great when the thread spends an entire day talking about western failures to curb the Nazis.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

a horse almost trampled me once

I rode a horse once as a kid, and I distinctly remember thinking "this sucks rear end and is really uncomfortable!"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

I rode a horse once as a kid, and I distinctly remember thinking "this sucks rear end and is really uncomfortable!"

imagine what the horse thought

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
My sisters always had horses and went out to the stables all the time to ride them around the arenas and one time I went with them and walked out into a field by myself to pass the time and 3 horses chased me back into the building from across the field. Like these things were on my rear end by the time I made it back to the door.

I did not particularly care for horses before that time and I won't have anything to do with them now.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Horses and dogs serve man in war (because they are dumb), but I'm pretty sure everything is being puppet mastered by cats.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

It's a horse, so probably nothing at all...

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

On their knees, the war pigs crawling
Dogs of war and men of hate

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

"I need grass, where grass, grass after this??"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"I need grass, where grass, grass after this??"

hell,

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

I posted them in a discussion with Tankbuster ages ago, maybe in the WW3 thread, but there are at least 3 books on naval planning and operations for military and policy people about how the balance of power in containing China still favours the US because the Indian Navy will fight for NATO.

Get ready for a dozen posts about Katyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lk9IaWDk6g

the indian navy will sit at port in a WW3 scenario lol.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, India isn't coming to the West's rescue for some engines, or pretty much anything for that matter. They are happy to accept gifts though.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
not a gift if you pay for it though. Modi will heroically buy less and pay more too.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for Russia - In yet another sign of Russia's ever-deepening diplomatic isolation, Putin is unable to leave Russia to attend a Brics summit in South Africa next month due to fear of being arrested under an ICC warrant for his war crimes in Ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/19/vladimir-putin-to-miss-south-africa-summit-amid-row-over-possible-arrest

Vladimir Putin to miss South Africa summit amid row over possible arrest
Andrew Roth
Wed 19 Jul 2023 18.46 BST

Vladimir Putin will not attend a Brics summit in South Africa next month amid speculation that he could be detained under an international criminal court warrant for his arrest for war crimes in Ukraine.

South Africa’s presidential office announced that the Russian president would not be attending the summit after holding a “number of consultations” with the Kremlin.

South Africa is an ICC signatory and would be expected to aid in his arrest if the Russian leader came to the summit.

In March, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Putin for overseeing the abduction of Ukrainian children in its invasion of Ukraine. Both Putin and Russia’s children’s rights commissioner Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova bore responsibility for the “unlawful deportation” of thousands of Ukrainian children, the court, based in The Hague, said. It was a rare indictment of a sitting head of state.

Russia has denounced the ICC decision and said it does not apply to Russia because Moscow is not a signatory to the treaty. But Putin has not travelled abroad, save for the occupied territories of Ukraine, since the ICC warrant was announced.

Putin will attend the Brics summit by videoconference, the Kremlin has said. The Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, will lead a delegation to South Africa.

The summit is set to take place on 24-26 August. It will bring together representatives of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. It is the first in-person Brics summit since Covid.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia - In yet another sign of Russia's ever-deepening diplomatic isolation, Putin is unable to leave Russia to attend a Brics summit in South Africa next month due to fear of being arrested under an ICC warrant for his war crimes in Ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/19/vladimir-putin-to-miss-south-africa-summit-amid-row-over-possible-arrest

Vladimir Putin to miss South Africa summit amid row over possible arrest
Andrew Roth
Wed 19 Jul 2023 18.46 BST

Vladimir Putin will not attend a Brics summit in South Africa next month amid speculation that he could be detained under an international criminal court warrant for his arrest for war crimes in Ukraine.

South Africa’s presidential office announced that the Russian president would not be attending the summit after holding a “number of consultations” with the Kremlin.

South Africa is an ICC signatory and would be expected to aid in his arrest if the Russian leader came to the summit.

In March, the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Putin for overseeing the abduction of Ukrainian children in its invasion of Ukraine. Both Putin and Russia’s children’s rights commissioner Maria Alekseyevna Lvova-Belova bore responsibility for the “unlawful deportation” of thousands of Ukrainian children, the court, based in The Hague, said. It was a rare indictment of a sitting head of state.

Russia has denounced the ICC decision and said it does not apply to Russia because Moscow is not a signatory to the treaty. But Putin has not travelled abroad, save for the occupied territories of Ukraine, since the ICC warrant was announced.

Putin will attend the Brics summit by videoconference, the Kremlin has said. The Russian foreign minister, Sergei Lavrov, will lead a delegation to South Africa.

The summit is set to take place on 24-26 August. It will bring together representatives of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. It is the first in-person Brics summit since Covid.

he should go and just tell NATO that there's a dead mans switch

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sounds like Odessa really got hammered during the night.. reportedly even worse than the last couple days.

As much as it has to be acknowledged that Putin is virtually unimpeachable and basically every one of his decisions have worked out, I think that this one may be bordering on an error. It's going to get sold as "Russia targeting the port where X% of the world's grain to Africa is shipped through" and I'm not sure what the advantage to Russia is outside of Odessa supposedly being the place where these sea drones are being launched. Ukraine didn't have alot of air in the balloon, the tide was surely shifting against them and this may be the distraction they need to keep the west engaged for another month.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Starsfan posted:

Sounds like Odessa really got hammered during the night.. reportedly even worse than the last couple days.

As much as it has to be acknowledged that Putin is virtually unimpeachable and basically every one of his decisions have worked out, I think that this one may be bordering on an error. It's going to get sold as "Russia targeting the port where X% of the world's grain to Africa is shipped through" and I'm not sure what the advantage to Russia is outside of Odessa supposedly being the place where these sea drones are being launched. Ukraine didn't have alot of air in the balloon, the tide was surely shifting against them and this may be the distraction they need to keep the west engaged for another month.

i think they might be beyond caring at this point

i think there's an argument to be made they should have 'got real' before this because many have said that Russia's indifference to NATO crossing red lines has only made them escalate faster.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

i think they might be beyond caring at this point

i think there's an argument to be made they should have 'got real' before this because many have said that Russia's indifference to NATO crossing red lines has only made them escalate faster.

well the facilities in Odessa were untouchable prior to the grain deal expiring.. most people seem to think that this barrage was not actually a response to the second Crimea bridge bombing but was a pre-planned thing to coincide with the expiration of the grain deal, if for no other reason than these bombardments would typically be planned well in advance and are not a spur of the moment thing.

but I get what you are saying in a more general sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The west reneged on the grain deal, every Russian escalation has been the result of the west not negotiating in good faith all the way back to the initial invasion. They have already won the PR battle with anyone capable of being convinced, they don't give a gently caress what the average American or eu citizen thinks.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

The west reneged on the grain deal, every Russian escalation has been the result of the west not negotiating in good faith all the way back to the initial invasion. They have already won the PR battle with anyone capable of being convinced, they don't give a gently caress what the average American or eu citizen thinks.

Pretty much. Russia is doing stuff on its own timetable / plan, not in response to anything The West [tm] does.

The only people western media (aka government mouthpieces) are convincing are their own faithful adherants to the narrative. If it was in a cathedreal we could call it preaching to the choir.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Russia preventing grain to Africa is already party of the discourse. It's hard to move fhe propaganda needle any more with "Russia is starving Africans.... but now extra starving"

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

blessed picture

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Kindest Forums User posted:

Russia preventing grain to Africa is already party of the discourse. It's hard to move fhe propaganda needle any more with "Russia is starving Africans.... but now extra starving"

Crucially, this is propaganda for western consumption and the actual starving Africans got wise to the game well over a year ago

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

any war updates over the last 400 or so posts?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

The Anglo-French entente have refused to commit to an alliance with the USSR, Stalin is now having to go it alone

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good news for Ukraine - Ukraine has made counter-offensive gains in the areas near Andriivka (10km southwest of Bakhmut), positions northeast of Orikhovo-Vasylivka, and the Berdyansk (Zaporizhia-Donetsk Oblast border area) and Melitopol (western Zaporizhia Oblast) directions.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-july-19-2023

RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, JULY 19, 2023

Ukrainian forces conducted counteroffensive operations on at least three sectors of the front on July 19 and made gains in these areas.

Geolocated footage published on July 19 indicates that Ukrainian forces made gains near Andriivka (10km southwest of Bakhmut).

The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces continued offensive operations north and south of Bakhmut City and forced Russian forces to retreat from positions northeast of Orikhovo-Vasylivka (11km northwest of Bakhmut).[23]

The Ukrainian General Staff also reported that Ukrainian forces continued offensive operations in the Berdyansk (Zaporizhia-Donetsk Oblast border area) and Melitopol (western Zaporizhia Oblast) directions.[24]

Ukrainian Tavriisk Group of Forces Spokesperson Major Valerii Shershen stated that Ukrainian forces advanced more than a kilometer in an unspecified area of the Melitopol direction.[25]

A prominent Russian milblogger claimed that Russian forces lack rotations and reinforcements on the Zaporizhia front and south of Bakhmut, which is preventing Russian forces from recapturing lost positions.[26]

The milblogger forecasted that continued delays in resolving these rotation and reinforcement issues south of Bakhmut threaten serious consequences for the Russian grouping in the area.[27]

[23] https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/pfbid0gEueSwrP9PiMgHQPYxA...

[24] https://www.facebook.com/GeneralStaff.ua/posts/pfbid02B67iQ29ShCYi8XxJ6v...

[25] https://armyinform.com dot ua/2023/07/19/rezervy-okupantiv-bezsyli-vognevyj-kontrol-za-sylamy-oborony-tavrijskogo-napryamku-valerij-shershen/

[26] https://t.me/rybar/49835

[27] https://t.me/rybar/49835

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CODChimera posted:

the spring counteroffensive has now been revealed to be scheduled for NEXT spring, to throw the russians off

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Ghost of Kiev spotted.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the spring counteroffensive has now been revealed to be scheduled for NEXT spring, to throw the russians off

Spring of 2030 when some of the ammo orders will be fulfilled.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
So, what's being hit in Odessa and what's the objective? Are they trying to destroy the port facilities?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pistol_Pete posted:

So, what's being hit in Odessa and what's the objective? Are they trying to destroy the port facilities?

If we hear almost nothing from the usual suspects (as we are currently) then its safe to say that the outcome was particularly negative because info blackouts only happen when there is nothing good to report, or no direction on the spin.

We can probably assume that Odessa is no longer a port city.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

impossible to say. It's illegal to publish any details or video of the incidents if you are Ukrainian (they've already rounded up somebody who filmed the explosions on the first night and pressed them into service apparently) and the Russians haven't released anything about it.

Zelenskyy claims the Russians have destroyed the infrastructure which was used to load the grain onto ships but who knows.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Economically hobble Ukraine more than it already is, making continuing the war seem even less worth it than it already is.

Of course, China can't be too happy about it. They were supposed to get the largest amount of Ukrainian grain from the grain deal, and now that would seem to be off the table.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Economically hobble Ukraine more than it already is, making continuing the war seem even less worth it than it already is.

Of course, China can't be too happy about it. They were supposed to get the largest amount of Ukrainian grain from the grain deal, and now that would seem to be off the table.

I'm going to call this spin. I don't think Putin is doing anything without consulting with Xi. However if certain Western interests keep pinning hopes on flipping China for some reason then why correct them at this point if they've a demonstrated inability to learn?

God only knows what sort of think tank failsons and faildaughters think China, who they are keep agitating war with over a TSMC factory, would want to help them against Russia.

I'm guessing they all wear Patagonia and Hugo Boss with their Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

indeed, too bad there’s absolutely no other way for russia to send grain to china :(

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Pistol_Pete posted:

We don't know, it's probably related to Russia deciding not to renew the grain deal since it happened on the expiry date and that's the port that the grain deal is done from. Ukraine also bombed the Kerch bridge on the same day but I don't think you can plan and organize this sort of bombardment in less than a day.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comrade Koba posted:

indeed, too bad there’s absolutely no other way for russia to send grain to china :(

Trains are lostech for The West. As demonstrated by all the derailments and collapsing bridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Majorian posted:

i like how nobody interviewed in that piece are cpc officials not even some random tweet from a diplomatic institution