Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am not remotely a "handyman" but a towel rack is like one of the simplest and cheapest things you can possibly install. its like ten minutes of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have now had to use the Heimlich maneuver on my mom three times. My dad is recovering from cancer and has lost most of his strength. I am really worried that the next time it happens I may not be there and he may not be able to save her.

Teach her to self-Heimlich. I have done this myself after accidentally inhaling the last piece of hard candy I'll ever eat.

Short version is, you ball up your fists, put them under your diaphragm, and fall on something where it'll drive your fist into your diaphragm (and not just break your ribs). Do a little research, find a video, and teach her right.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Kind of stupid question. I have a friend that is trying to hook up her PC laptop to her Thunderbolt display.
i have no models or makes, at this time.
Thunderbolt 3 came out in 2015, so I'm assuming it's just that at least (4 was in 2019), and there is a USB-C port on the laptop. since she didn't really give me much detail, I don't know if it's got the little lightning bolt to show compatibility.

is it possible to find an adapter without this info? She just got a new job, and is anxious AF, and is bi-polar, so asking a ton of questions to get all the info I need can be difficult. lol.

any thoughts?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

blight rhino posted:

is it possible to find an adapter without this info? She just got a new job, and is anxious AF, and is bi-polar, so asking a ton of questions to get all the info I need can be difficult. lol.

i think rather than asking a bunch of questions, you could ask her to just take a pic of the ports on the laptop and the ports on the display, and then you'd have all the info you need and she won't have to explain anything.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Earwicker posted:

i think rather than asking a bunch of questions, you could ask her to just take a pic of the ports on the laptop and the ports on the display, and then you'd have all the info you need and she won't have to explain anything.

That's a good idea, it may still be too much. We have this whole love/hate thing going on, after knowing each other for like almost 30 years.
But I'll see what I can do. Otherwise, I'm just going to send like 5 different ones and hope for the best, and hope she returns what doesn't work.

Thanks for the reply, bud!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Earwicker posted:

i am not remotely a "handyman" but a towel rack is like one of the simplest and cheapest things you can possibly install. its like ten minutes of work.

True, but there has to be a space to mount the towel bar(s).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A towel hook is even easier to put up and can fit almost anywhere.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

hooah posted:

color me stupid, but yeah, I just hang it towards the back of the shower. I have sliding glass doors, and not a curtain, but I'd imagine you can still hang it towards the back of the shower without it getting wet.
like a heathen, maybe, but it works!
plus one of the sliding doors has a handle on the outside anyway.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh one more wordle related question, what's the one that let's you choose how many letters the answer has?

edit: nm found it! https://wordlegame.org/7-letter-words-wordle

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 20, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hooah posted:

already mentioned but get one of those adhesive hooks. You can't tell me there's no room for one of those in your bathroom anywhere.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

already mentioned but get one of those adhesive hooks. You can't tell me there's no room for one of those in your bathroom anywhere.

adhesive won't stick in a bathroom, assuming you are running a shower in there

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'm sorry, are you telling me that there are people who turn off the shower and just hop out completely soaked? No drying whatever?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

actionjackson posted:

They make ones specifically for bathrooms. Probably need to put it up when it's pretty dry, but it'll last. I've had one holding up towels for 8 years and counting.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah, I don't like maneuvering with the towel and the cooler at the same time.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I usually shake off like a dog inside the shower, then step out onto the mat to get a towel from across the way, generally the shake off is enough that I'm not dripping.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Get your manservant to stand at attention with a blowdryer to dry you off when you finish showering.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

blight rhino posted:

Kind of stupid question. I have a friend that is trying to hook up her PC laptop to her Thunderbolt display.
i have no models or makes, at this time.
Thunderbolt 3 came out in 2015, so I'm assuming it's just that at least (4 was in 2019), and there is a USB-C port on the laptop. since she didn't really give me much detail, I don't know if it's got the little lightning bolt to show compatibility.

any thoughts?

FYI Thunderbolt is an Intel thing (as I found out to my chagrin last year, after ordering 100 Ryzen laptops and 100 Thunderbolt docks last year) so if her laptop is AMD based, that display may work / may not work / may work problematically.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah, I don't like maneuvering with the towel and the cooler at the same time.

wait what do you mean by cooler why do you have a cooler in your shower. like for shower beers? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hooah posted:

Almost every house we looked at before moving a couple years ago was like this. I don't know who the hell's designing bathrooms anymore, but I guess they all think you just ...hang your towel on the shower like some kind of heathen?

Trapick posted:

Stick a couple of those heavy-duty 3M command hooks on the wall, toss a towel on it as you get in the shower.
Nah, I'll just step out of the shower to grab my towel as I've done my entire life. It's a complete non-issue.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Squeegee your body with your hands before walking out to grab a towel.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Squeegee your body with your hands before walking out to grab a towel.

Yeah this, I swipe most of the water off and drip very little when I step out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Earwicker posted:

wait what do you mean by cooler why do you have a cooler in your shower. like for shower beers? :confused:

Yeah I have a huge bathtub for two people so we bring a floating cooler sometimes.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

Beer? Champagne surely? What kind of prole drinks beer in the shower?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

actionjackson posted:

??? I've got two bathroom hooks that have been stuck to the wall of my shower for like a decade at least. There's adhesives that absolutely work in a bathroom environment, and in the shower itself to boot, so long as they're not applied while it's wet.

5 seconds on Amazon resulted in this, cheap and easy, adheres to the outside of shower doors too, and is highly rated
https://a.co/d/erRhZrP

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Leal posted:

Get your manservant to stand at attention with a blowdryer to dry you off when you finish showering.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

I'm sorry, are you telling me that there are people who turn off the shower and just hop out completely soaked? No drying whatever?

?? Is it really that controversial to do that? I'll squeeze water out of my hair if I washed it but otherwise why wouldn't I get out of the shower to dry myself?

I've also never had a bath mat get gross and also never wash them, I'm guessing most people posting here live in less hot/dry climates than I do maybe. It dries out before it can get wet again, it's just never been an issue.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Organza Quiz posted:

?? Is it really that controversial to do that? I'll squeeze water out of my hair if I washed it but otherwise why wouldn't I get out of the shower to dry myself?

I've also never had a bath mat get gross and also never wash them, I'm guessing most people posting here live in less hot/dry climates than I do maybe. It dries out before it can get wet again, it's just never been an issue.

Because the shower is still warm so if I get dried off in there I don’t have to step out into the colder bathroom while wet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I thought we were talking about a hook that goes on drywall. mine are screwed in but I'm guessing that's not an option here.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

regulargonzalez posted:

FYI Thunderbolt is an Intel thing (as I found out to my chagrin last year, after ordering 100 Ryzen laptops and 100 Thunderbolt docks last year) so if her laptop is AMD based, that display may work / may not work / may work problematically.

lol, good info.
But I was basically told I'm stupid, because I don't know what a thunderbolt cable looks like. .. and it's like. there is 1&2 and 3&4. If she would of just given me the model of both things, it would of been fine.

Never mind the fact that I do IT and AV poo poo for a living. I set her off. Lol.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
Also, I mentioned this in the goonfund thread of all places. A few weeks ago I had my AC Combo (gas) unit replaced a few weeks ago. 2 ton, 16 SEER. I was out like almost 14k

I'm sure I was 100% gouged, but it was loving hot, and I just wanted it to be cool again, so I didn't shop around.

Anyone done any comparable purchases lately? I guess I'm just trying to see how much I got got.

Virginia for reference.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

CzarChasm posted:

I believe that there is a "recommend small appliances" thread somewhere, but I have not been able to find it on my own yet. Does anyone have a link?

Alternatively, I'm looking for a replacement rice cooker. I had a big family sized one about 2 years ago, but it was way too big for just me and the Mrs. I gave that one away and replaced it with a small Aroma brand basic one, but that just died on me after less than a year. I'd rather not spend $100 on a unit that cooks rice, does my taxes and plays the star spangled banner. Just something that makes a couple cups of rice about once a week.

There's a food appliance thread in GWS https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749739

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

blight rhino posted:

lol, good info.
But I was basically told I'm stupid, because I don't know what a thunderbolt cable looks like. .. and it's like. there is 1&2 and 3&4. If she would of just given me the model of both things, it would of been fine.

Never mind the fact that I do IT and AV poo poo for a living. I set her off. Lol.

this does not seem like a person worth helping, or being around

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

blight rhino posted:

lol, good info.

please do not help this person.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Because the shower is still warm so if I get dried off in there I don’t have to step out into the colder bathroom while wet.

Just turn on the heater??? There's normally a switch for the floors.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Boba Pearl posted:

This must be regional because I’ve never in my life seen any sort of heater switch in the bathroom or any sort of floor heater.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How many years was it between Social Security Numbers being assigned and the SSN becoming a de facto national ID number?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

This must be regional because I’ve never in my life seen any sort of heater switch in the bathroom or any sort of floor heater.

https://www.warmup.com/blog/installing-heated-floors-in-bathroom

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

My shower is not positioned in such a way that there's any wall within arm's reach of the open stall door. I've taken to putting my towel on the floor outside the stall, so I can reach it.

My bathroom has no heating.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm pretty sure you're joking but I'm a little worried that you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Same, it sounds fancy as hell but if Boba Pearl thinks it's common then maybe it's regionally common where they live?