Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just buy the ortlieb if you want something you can take off the bike. If you want metal baskets, Wald makes the best ones hands down, and they fold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I rode the 380, and while the ride was smoother it also didn’t feel like a bike and was slower. Bought a 380+ on sale today and get it in a week. Can’t wait!

This might be niche but does anyone have a recommendation for a tote bag that would work well for tennis? It would hold two rackets, can of balls and a pair of shoes at a minimum

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Hollismason posted:

There's a dealer in my area that sells them and I'm going to buy from the store so they put it together.

Oh yeah, diy blind spot. Good move, and its worth reminding others to ask if your own local shop will be able to service an ebike you didn't get through them before you pull the trigger

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah they only have the slightly more expensive Pace 500.3 but they only charge 100 dollars to put it together.

Okay my next question who do I go with for bike insurance because State Farm offered me a personal articles plan but it doesn't cover ebikes.

Anyone have any thoughts on Oyster?

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah they only have the slightly more expensive Pace 500.3 but they only charge 100 dollars to put it together.

Okay my next question who do I go with for bike insurance because State Farm offered me a personal articles plan but it doesn't cover ebikes.

Anyone have any thoughts on Oyster?

Weird, my fiance got hers covered through state farm.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
2600 is a decent price but 2000 is great:
https://www.canyon.com/en-us/electric-bikes/electric-city-bike/precede-on/al/precede-on-5/3350.html
Not sure how warranty coverage would work on the motor side.

I'm having the Quick Haul looked at by the local Tern dealer, who of course have to be trained on Bosch cuz of Tern's ebikes.
Only the dealer who sold me the bike can do warranty work for free, apparently?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Jabarto posted:

Weird, my fiance got hers covered through state farm.

I called my State Farm rep and personal articles specifically in my area do not cover Class 1 , 2, or 3 EBikes or scooters. Regular bikes fine, but not ebikes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Velosurance is who I went with but I haven't had to make a claim yet so I can't speak to how they do when it really matter

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Vanmoof bankrupt: https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/a44535158/vanmoof-ebikes-bankruptcy/

It seems like cowboy is developing an app to make sure your bike doesn’t get bricked, but crazy. Can’t believe huge quickly it went from huge funding round to out of business. Rly one of the worst bike companies to go bankrupt in terms of its effects on their customers given how proprietary everything is.

a better article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/18/from-vanmoof-to-vanpoof-how-did-the-e-bike-pioneer-go-bankrupt-even-as-the-market-boomed/

tildes fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 20, 2023

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Sentient Data posted:

Velosurance is who I went with but I haven't had to make a claim yet so I can't speak to how they do when it really matter

Same.

I've got an Aventon Pace 500.2 (step-thru) as well and I'm very happy after a year and roughly 1,100 miles. It's been almost entirely trouble-free. Besides the 100mile tune-up at the LBS, I have had to sand a brake pad that was squealing and patch a tube.
I've got a 3 mi commute largely over MUPs so I only do 15mph most of the way, and 20mph when I'm back in traffic, with the PAS levels kind of working as a cruise control (only use the thumb for launching from a stop in traffic.) Range is fine, I don't run it below 25% or leave it on the charger for more than 2hrs and end up charging a little more than once a week (probably 25 miles or so elapsed).

I wasn't impressed by Aventon's front rack, which is kind of small, so I found one for a random small-wheel style ebike on Amazon and made a bracket. This one holds takeout boxes perfectly (important requirement IMHO) or a bag of groceries . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087PMR7GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep my laptop in a messenger bag because I cover a lot of ground during a workday. And I need to come up with something better for carrying my big Kryptonite chain lock (evo 1090). Right now I've got a cheap Planet Bike rear rack and a canvas bag ziptied for my lock and bungies. I'd like something better, like a folding box or something for a second bag of groceries but :effort:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tildes posted:

Vanmoof bankrupt: https://www.gearpatrol.com/outdoors/a44535158/vanmoof-ebikes-bankruptcy/

It seems like cowboy is developing an app to make sure your bike doesn’t get bricked, but crazy. Can’t believe huge quickly it went from huge funding round to out of business. Rly one of the worst bike companies to go bankrupt in terms of its effects on their customers given how proprietary everything is.

a better article: https://techcrunch.com/2023/07/18/from-vanmoof-to-vanpoof-how-did-the-e-bike-pioneer-go-bankrupt-even-as-the-market-boomed/
Those bikes were insanely bad/complicated for the level of customer value.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

Those bikes were insanely bad/complicated for the level of customer value.

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a van moof owner in NYC, and he thinks that, while building a completely bespoke bicycle didn't help, their theft protection probably cost the most money. They sold him essentially two bikes for the price of one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Safety Dance posted:

I was talking with a friend of mine who is a van moof owner in NYC, and he thinks that, while building a completely bespoke bicycle didn't help, their theft protection probably cost the most money. They sold him essentially two bikes for the price of one.

Yeah, I saw that they mentioned "warranty costs" and wondered if they counted their theft guarantee in the warranty.

I'm really curious if once the smoke has all cleared and we've lived with high interest rates for a while, it'll be mostly big bike brands selling ebikes or if these little companies survive.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Ebike price is actually one of the very few things that hasn't gone up in price , probably due to the enlarged global EV market and lower battery price.

Van moof seems like a very European styled bike in the US market. Also way too much customization for a kickstarter thing. Your kickstarter thing can be 10-20% different from your alibaba wholesale thing. But too much customization the cost goes up.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's a reminder that the bones of your bike will last a lot longer than the average tech startup company

:capitalism:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sentient Data posted:

It's a reminder that the bones of your bike will last a lot longer than the average tech startup company

:capitalism:

Sitting here nervously looking at my 175mm rear hub spacing, 22" wheels, and realizing that the vast majority of US market e-bikes would be miserable to ride with failed / dead electronics. There's no sane way to strip most of them also.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you are paranoid, DIY or buy a turnkey bafang BBS bike is the safest way to annoy getting screwed by proprietary hardware.

But OTOH I see aliexpress have 3rd party batteries for most of the popular common form factor so maybe you can just buy from the popular models.

Checking aliexpress for part price is one thing I never considered. But after getting a crack on my phone, I will not buy any future phone with the on screen finger print function. The replacement cost is too high.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

But OTOH I see aliexpress have 3rd party batteries for most of the popular common form factor

For the love of god don't buy AliExpress batteries unless you know the UL stamp is legit.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am not going to buy it for my 5 year old bike that still has 60% of the range. But I can see somebody with a dead battery buy it. You can also invest in a fireproof battery charge case/box

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've seen how much energy an exploding ebike battery puts out. I don't trust a fireproof case to not burn down yet another NYC apartment building.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So my Super73 ZX got stolen in the middle of the day, outside a hospital building where there are people around all the time. Someone (by the looks of the remains of the lock) used an angle grinder.

I'm not buying another one even if I loved the comfortable ride as they've hiked their prices to €3000, so I'm looking at lower budget ones. I came across the Tenways CGO600 Pro, and it seems to have everything that I could need. Removable battery is a must, and the size works for me (I'm tall). The only complaints I can find so far are from people in the US that want throttles and stuff that's illegal to have here in Europe. Anyone have any experience with these bikes? It's single speed belt driven, but I live in a flat city so it doesn't matter to me. A huge bonus is that it doesn't scream e-bike, so hopefully less likely to get stolen.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
bought a used Super73 Z1 and I'm driving 4.5ish hours away to pick it up.

Wish me luck!
I'm gonna mod the poo poo outta this thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MrOnBicycle posted:

So my Super73 ZX

The only complaints I can find so far are from people in the US that want throttles and stuff that's illegal to have here in Europe.

Was the Super73 pedal assist only? What was that like?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

monsterzero posted:

Same.

I've got an Aventon Pace 500.2 (step-thru) as well and I'm very happy after a year and roughly 1,100 miles. It's been almost entirely trouble-free. Besides the 100mile tune-up at the LBS, I have had to sand a brake pad that was squealing and patch a tube.
I've got a 3 mi commute largely over MUPs so I only do 15mph most of the way, and 20mph when I'm back in traffic, with the PAS levels kind of working as a cruise control (only use the thumb for launching from a stop in traffic.) Range is fine, I don't run it below 25% or leave it on the charger for more than 2hrs and end up charging a little more than once a week (probably 25 miles or so elapsed).

I wasn't impressed by Aventon's front rack, which is kind of small, so I found one for a random small-wheel style ebike on Amazon and made a bracket. This one holds takeout boxes perfectly (important requirement IMHO) or a bag of groceries . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087PMR7GS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep my laptop in a messenger bag because I cover a lot of ground during a workday. And I need to come up with something better for carrying my big Kryptonite chain lock (evo 1090). Right now I've got a cheap Planet Bike rear rack and a canvas bag ziptied for my lock and bungies. I'd like something better, like a folding box or something for a second bag of groceries but :effort:

Oh hey thanks for this information. I'm going tomorrow to test out the Aventon Pace 500.3 which if it works I'll end up buying. What is MUP?

So what kind of lock am I buying for this?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Don't go for a gimmick folding lock or garbage from aliexpress, high quality high mass is your friend, especially since you won't care about the biggest downside of a heavy lock (its weight when biking). I feel comfortable with the 1090, but I wouldn't go lower end than that, I'd go with it or something from their new York line

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sentient Data posted:

Don't go for a gimmick folding lock or garbage from aliexpress, high quality high mass is your friend, especially since you won't care about the biggest downside of a heavy lock (its weight when biking). I feel comfortable with the 1090, but I wouldn't go lower end than that, I'd go with it or something from their new York line

I was looking at the Kryptonite series. I usually get a ulock and a chain for the front tire.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I personally loop the chain through the rear wheel and triangle (and fixture) to make it more of a pain in the rear end to steal. If they want to get it without an angle grinder they can't just leave an easy to replace part behind. Ulocks are great also, but I'd suggest getting a feel for the size in person if going that route

Vvv: right, that's what insurance is for, I just want to make sure it limits it to a targeted angle grinder attack instead of just a random crime of opportunity

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 22, 2023

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
No lock can protect you from a loud rear end angle grinder in board daylight. Sorry dude.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I use my cafe lock and a big Kryptonite U lock. If they angle grind the u lock, the cafe lock will probably be annoying enough to deal with. I'm thinking of downgrading to an Abus folding lock now that I'm not parking it in Manhattan any more.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kimbo305 posted:

Was the Super73 pedal assist only? What was that like?

Yeah illegal in Europe so I didn't want to push my luch with something too obvious. I did however sometimes unlock it, which (with a full battery) gets me up to about 45/h with pedal assist. You could also "fool" the motor for a bit by doing slight back and forward pedal moves to keep it active. There is also a 3rd party app called "SuperDuper" now (at least on android) that's 100 times better than the stock app.
Over all a nice bike, even if some of the components are cheap.

hark posted:

bought a used Super73 Z1 and I'm driving 4.5ish hours away to pick it up.

Wish me luck!
I'm gonna mod the poo poo outta this thing.

Nice! It's a fun bike, and very comfortable if it's anything like the ZX.

Edit:
Ordered a TENWAYS bike now. Hopefully it's as nice for the price as the "reviews" say.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Okay I went and tested out the Aventon Pace 500.3 , I should be purchasing it in 2 weeks.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Just grabbed an Aventon Abound. I'd more or less made up my mind a while ago, but I wanted to test ride it with my wife to make sure it was comfortable for both our heights. I also liked buying it from a local dealer, just to support local businesses if nothing else (it cost the same as the website, even got the extra battery promotion, and they built it). I've only zipped around my neighborhood so far, but it sure is fun! Lots of hills around me and it crawled up them without any complaint.

One question I have that is maybe a bit stupid: the only ebike I have experience with before this is my wife's much more premium Gazelle. It has a Bosch mid drive motor (can't remember which one, but it's a class 3), and as far as I can tell it is completely silent.

The Abound (with a hub drive) has an audible sound when in use. It sounds like...well, a motor I guess. It's a hum or low whine (not high pitched). It cuts off when not pedaling or using the throttle, so it definitely seems to be motor related.

Is this normal for less expensive hub motors? I'm fine with it and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that a nicer Bosch motor is much quieter than whatever hub ones Aventon uses. But I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that I need to get it replaced under warranty or the like.

Hollismason posted:

Okay I went and tested out the Aventon Pace 500.3 , I should be purchasing it in 2 weeks.

Aventon's website says the Pace 500.3 is going up in price tomorrow. If you're certain you're ordering one, you may want to consider ordering today if you're able.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I can give confirmation that mine has nose, but it's at the same level I'd expect road nose from a non-quiet tire. It's not anything that ever gets to an annoying level to me (the kind of person that brings earplugs to a movie theater), but it's just noticeable enough that I wouldn't go throttle-only next to a cop somewhere ebikes aren't allowed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

incogneato posted:

Just grabbed an Aventon Abound. I'd more or less made up my mind a while ago, but I wanted to test ride it with my wife to make sure it was comfortable for both our heights. I also liked buying it from a local dealer, just to support local businesses if nothing else (it cost the same as the website, even got the extra battery promotion, and they built it). I've only zipped around my neighborhood so far, but it sure is fun! Lots of hills around me and it crawled up them without any complaint.

One question I have that is maybe a bit stupid: the only ebike I have experience with before this is my wife's much more premium Gazelle. It has a Bosch mid drive motor (can't remember which one, but it's a class 3), and as far as I can tell it is completely silent.

The Abound (with a hub drive) has an audible sound when in use. It sounds like...well, a motor I guess. It's a hum or low whine (not high pitched). It cuts off when not pedaling or using the throttle, so it definitely seems to be motor related.

Is this normal for less expensive hub motors? I'm fine with it and I wouldn't be shocked to learn that a nicer Bosch motor is much quieter than whatever hub ones Aventon uses. But I wanted to make sure it wasn't a sign that I need to get it replaced under warranty or the like.

Aventon's website says the Pace 500.3 is going up in price tomorrow. If you're certain you're ordering one, you may want to consider ordering today if you're able.

Yea I saw that but I am waiting on some funds so I'll just have to eat the price increase.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If it's within a week or two send a support email today, they might bend the rules

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
After an entire day long debacle, I picked up my super73 Z1 and I fuckin love it. I wish I had gotten one of these years ago

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know some high power hub bikes have noisy motor. For example the Ride1up Limited, with has a 750w motor and "95nm torque". The reviews I read say it's noisy. My current hub bike also has a 750w motor and I can hear the motor, but I wouldn't call it loud. Most electric motors are pretty quiet, especially compared to gas motors.

Ask what the other Aventon Abound owners say.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My Super 73 ZX was very noisy. Good in a way because people hear you coming, but at max speed it was too loud really, and also quite a lot of vibrations.

Can't wait to get the Tensway bike I ordered as I'm borrowing my wifes bike now. Looking forward to some biking during my vacation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Realistically how long of a commute in a city could a 4 mile trip be on a electric bike. Google tells me 30 minutes but I think it should be shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Probably 10-15 depending on traffic and how quick your bike is.