Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle

The Leck posted:

I have a bit of information here -
#1 - good call on the Classic Player 60s and Vintera 60's Modified being quite similar. They're going to be a little bit different as Fender tweaks things over the years and updates pickups, but the Classic Player line more or less was renamed into the Vintera Modified line (Classic series -> Vintera too). Both of them have the slightly more pushed forward trem unit, which may or may not make a difference to you, but some people REALLY care.
#2 - If you're considering the Classic Vibe, I'd strongly recommend checking out one of the Squier 40th Anniversary models too. My P-bass pictured above is one of those and it feels really good. I've picked up a couple of the Jazzmasters in stores and really enjoyed playing them - if I could justify the room for another guitar, I'd probably have one of these. The biggest Jazzmaster enthusiast I know of has a lot of positive things to say about them, and they're on sale right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Kn31XFBNo

The whole Jazzmaster world is kind of weird, to get the "authentic" stuff it's like anything between Squier and vintage-style US-made ones like the American Original has compromises that a lot of people aren't into, like the position of the trem unit, the pickups not really being Jazzmaster pickups, removing the rhythm circuit, etc.

Thanks for the info. Yeah that 40th anniversary squier model sounds pretty great, and although I'm not super fussed about the closer trems I do prefer the classic position. I'm not wild about it aesthetically though, I kind of wanted sunburst with tort guard or maybe a sonic blue, so I might extend my search a bit.

I've been reading up on vintera modifieds and it sounds like you basically have to plan to replace the bridge. So many people are saying the stock bridge is practically unusable. With a Squier or a Mex I'd be expecting some amount of tinkering to get it to my liking, I'm debating how much tinkering I want to do this time around and how much it'd realistically set me back in terms of cost and time from each starting point.

As you say, it does seem really weird that there's seemingly no mid to upper-mid-range authentically specced jazzmasters. Lots of humbuckers and strat bridges and whatnot. Not that I'm a luddite who can't cope with change, I'm fine with those options existing of course, but personally I already own enough double humbucker guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

gregday posted:

This was my first guitar, the Synsonics Terminator, ordered out of a Sears catalog for my 15th birthday.

(Not my photo. My actual one is long gone.)

There’s so many amazing things about it. The built-in amp speaker grille right where your arm goes. The bright red LED next to the power toggle. Whatever that pickup is. The two jacks labeled “HEAD PHONE” and “OUT PUT”.

It was however, enough to get me through my first year of learning and start the journey. And it had a whammy bar, which was all I needed then.

Holy crap, me too! I remember there were 99 dollar strats on the same page(Were they cheap Yamahas?) I wanted because they looked cooler and were even a little bit cheaper, but my parents made me get that one because the amp came built in. I dunno of scans of those catalogues still exist but I would love to see one since I looked at that page for months before Christmas that year.

e:I was off on the price for sure, but I found it! It was JC Penney! https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1995-JCPenney-Christmas-Book/0439

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 20, 2023

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
lmao @ being worthy of gear, buy what makes your heart sing and catch up to it in your own time

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Stalizard posted:

lmao @ being worthy of gear, buy what makes your heart sing and catch up to it in your own time

this setup rules

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Stalizard posted:

I can't look at this picture without hearing the opening riff from "You Shook Me All Night Long"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I once took one of those guitars with the amp built in and tried to pull the driver out so I could use it as an instant feedback machine but the thing was too busted even to work like that.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

this setup rules

Just wait until you find out what he keeps in that plastic bin next to the amp

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is it Angus Young? He'd probably fit in there.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
It may it may not be dog food, but I've found that the low-allergen salmon formula is absolutely critical to the tone I'm trying to achieve. chicken based food just doesn't have the same low end crunch

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So after selling off much of my gear (like almost all of it) to deal with life I still havey cheapo Schecter SGR 006 starter guitar, that I've modded. Thinking about doing it justice and putting in some coil split or tap hubuckers, and getting the mini pots it needs. It's a nice guitar. Any suggestions? Passive is preferred.

Also becoming obsessed with blues-jazz with added heavy guitars. For some reason.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

syntaxfunction posted:

So after selling off much of my gear (like almost all of it) to deal with life I still havey cheapo Schecter SGR 006 starter guitar, that I've modded. Thinking about doing it justice and putting in some coil split or tap hubuckers, and getting the mini pots it needs. It's a nice guitar. Any suggestions? Passive is preferred.

Also becoming obsessed with blues-jazz with added heavy guitars. For some reason.

Epiphone ProBuckers.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

syntaxfunction posted:

I've had a ton of fun playing Duncan nazgul/sentient pickups in a couple of different guitars now and I recommend them for every application

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Just ran sound for 2 bands and I’ve never done that poo poo professionally before. Only ever ran our board when playing shows.

poo poo was fun, I feel really good about it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

Epiphone ProBuckers.

seconding this, you can nab a pair for like $40 on reverb and they split really nice too

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Just figured out that the floyd rose tremolo arm on the guitar I've had for 20 years isn't broken/doesn't need a spring, just needed to be tightened like a half turn more than I had been doing and now it finally stays in position.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Holy crap, me too! I remember there were 99 dollar strats on the same page(Were they cheap Yamahas?) I wanted because they looked cooler and were even a little bit cheaper, but my parents made me get that one because the amp came built in. I dunno of scans of those catalogues still exist but I would love to see one since I looked at that page for months before Christmas that year.

e:I was off on the price for sure, but I found it! It was JC Penney! https://christmas.musetechnical.com/ShowCatalogPage/1995-JCPenney-Christmas-Book/0439

You're right, it was JCPenney. That was the exact page I remember too. It's amazing that I spent so many childhood years browsing those catalogs for Christmas and birthday gifts that some of the photos are burned into my memory indelibly. I remember every single guitar on that page. Thank you for finding that.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

gregday posted:

This was my first guitar, the Synsonics Terminator, ordered out of a Sears catalog for my 15th birthday.

There’s so many amazing things about it. The built-in amp speaker grille right where your arm goes. The bright red LED next to the power toggle. Whatever that pickup is. The two jacks labeled “HEAD PHONE” and “OUT PUT”.

It was however, enough to get me through my first year of learning and start the journey. And it had a whammy bar, which was all I needed then.

I remember seeing those at toys r us when I was a kid. They still look pretty cool. My first guitar was a nice mim fender strat that I inherited from my older brother. I learned like 2 songs by ear then sold it and used the proceeds to purchase the SNES classic RPG Breath of fire 2. Seems dumb in retrospect but the game was pretty good at least.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

gregday posted:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Does anyone know if Dunlop strap locks will interfere with a Bigsby, where the bridge nut screws through the Bigsby's opening in the bottom?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I got a legit set of probuckers on Ali for $20. Lol

Sounds great.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I bought some overstocked Epi pickups and wiring harness off of Ali Express, and if they were knockoffs it would be very funny to me how much work they went to to counterfeit them. The input even has Epiphone stamped into it.

They sound pretty good, but they are the old pre Pro Bucker epi LP PAF style humbuckers.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

gregday posted:

Does anyone know if Dunlop strap locks will interfere with a Bigsby, where the bridge nut screws through the Bigsby's opening in the bottom?

No. You might need a slightly longer screw to get purchase, but the bridge isn't held on solely by the strap pin and the Dunlop should sit on top of the plate.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im seriously considering trading this les paul 60s for a modern LP. 3 things bother me about the 60s: the weight is too loving muich. 10 lb. i have my eye on a 8 lb modern. 2) the short 60s scale length even though the same as my vintage strat puts my hand in a weird spot when sitting down with the 60s LP 3) the pelham blue is more my style than boomer burst ice tea.

but the 60s is otherwise perfect, sounds amazing.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My partner wants to pick up the guitar but they are a lefty. I still have my starter knock-off strat somewhere, I can get that strung upside down for them to practice on. Or is it worth trying to find a true lefty guitar for them to start out? They've never touched a guitar before, so I don't know if like going to the local Guitar Center would be fruitful.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
The nut would be the functional impediment to stringing it upside down. Maybe they can just be rad and keep it strung normal and just play it upside down

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Epi Lepi posted:

My partner wants to pick up the guitar but they are a lefty. I still have my starter knock-off strat somewhere, I can get that strung upside down for them to practice on. Or is it worth trying to find a true lefty guitar for them to start out? They've never touched a guitar before, so I don't know if like going to the local Guitar Center would be fruitful.

if they haven't touched a guitar ever, just have them learn righty. you don't need your dominant hand to be the pick hand, most stringed instruments don't have lefty versions, and lefties tend to have more developed offhands anyways due to the world not being built for them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

have them pick up a guitar and if their natural impulse is to hold it the wrong way around, you'll want to get them a lefty (or do your flip stringing). Do not force them to them to try to learn the "right" way if it goes against their inclination... that is a path to assured frustration. (speaking from experience as a lefty... it is immensely frustrating how much of the world is made explicitly with no concern for us, so I assure you an attempt to cater to your partner's handedness will be read as the loving act it is)

but yeah you can buy a left handed nut like so https://www.amazon.com/Graph-Tech-Slotted-Strat-Lefty/dp/B0043NQV2G and some sand paper to help fit it
and you'll need to readjust the saddle intonation. If you're not comfortable with that a guitar shop should be able to do it for less than $50 easily

e: oh also, if you go that route, the ergonomics of a strat make it pretty okay for playing upside down but if they're just learning put some sharpie fret dots along the "underside" of the neck like the top would have. It helps

or if you want help finding a beginner-level left handed guitar, I'd be happy to help with that too, just lay out your budget. There's quality gear to be found at drat near any price point these days

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 20, 2023

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I traded my two Schecters in for yet another Hype Machine. I'm so glad I did, it's perfect! They solved the output jack location issue. They also changed the neck profile and got rid of a lot of the massive shoulder the older runs have. And last, but not least, check out that ebony!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
As a lefty who plays lefty because the guitar shop owner offered to restring my first guitar just based on me being left handed and who struggles to find guitars I can play, I'd suggest leading with the right handed guitar and seeing if it works for him. If not you can try either buying a cheap lefty or restringing it. It didn't work for the poster above, but that didn't mean they couldn't also try lefty afterwards. For most lefties it doesn't have a significant impact unless they learn lefty first.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I want you to know the Orsmby crew were at NAMM and they are the most Australian people I've ever seen in my life.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I want you to know the Orsmby crew were at NAMM and they are the most Australian people I've ever seen in my life.

e: okay, I went and looked at the staff on the website. They DO look very Australian, in whole range of ways.

As an Australian who just looks like 'generic North European? guy, I'm impressed.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 21, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KingColliwog posted:

I bought two things. I hope to be worthy of them eventually.

At the very least it's looking good on the wall.

apparently the Revstar is discontinued?

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Anyone played one of the suped up revstars? Revstar 2? I like the base models already

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ok Comboomer posted:

apparently the Revstar is discontinued?

The old model is, but I don't think the Mk.2 are. What I bought is a Mk.2 Standard which is the middle of the line version. I believe they still make them

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

The Leck posted:

I have a bit of information here -
#1 - good call on the Classic Player 60s and Vintera 60's Modified being quite similar. They're going to be a little bit different as Fender tweaks things over the years and updates pickups, but the Classic Player line more or less was renamed into the Vintera Modified line (Classic series -> Vintera too). Both of them have the slightly more pushed forward trem unit, which may or may not make a difference to you, but some people REALLY care.
#2 - If you're considering the Classic Vibe, I'd strongly recommend checking out one of the Squier 40th Anniversary models too. My P-bass pictured above is one of those and it feels really good. I've picked up a couple of the Jazzmasters in stores and really enjoyed playing them - if I could justify the room for another guitar, I'd probably have one of these. The biggest Jazzmaster enthusiast I know of has a lot of positive things to say about them, and they're on sale right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3Kn31XFBNo

The whole Jazzmaster world is kind of weird, to get the "authentic" stuff it's like anything between Squier and vintage-style US-made ones like the American Original has compromises that a lot of people aren't into, like the position of the trem unit, the pickups not really being Jazzmaster pickups, removing the rhythm circuit, etc.

mike's poo poo rules and he's a sweetie from the exchanges i've had with him on instagram

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The revstar was rereleased last year and they are very cool and good. Especially in blue.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

As a lefty who plays lefty because the guitar shop owner offered to restring my first guitar just based on me being left handed and who struggles to find guitars I can play, I'd suggest leading with the right handed guitar and seeing if it works for him. If not you can try either buying a cheap lefty or restringing it. It didn't work for the poster above, but that didn't mean they couldn't also try lefty afterwards. For most lefties it doesn't have a significant impact unless they learn lefty first.

There have been two brand-new newbie lefties who I've started on the guitar and I've told them, pleading on my knees with tears in my eyes, to just stick with righty guitars because [all of the reasons we all know]. In both cases, the first obstacle they hit they blame on the handedness problem and refuse to try, refuse to put in the effort to advance, refuse to accept any other answer than OF COURSE need a lefty guitar to make this [common stumbling clock] work and then they go get a lefty guitar and get to learn all of the same problems exist, from either hand, on the way to being awesome. Maybe sometimes being a lefty is an identity thing as much as it is anything else.

duodenum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 21, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

duodenum posted:

There have been two brand-new newbie lefties who I've started on the guitar and I've told them, pleading on my knees with tears in my eyes, to just stick with righty guitars because [all of the reasons we all know]. In both cases, the first obstacle they hit they blame on the handedness problem and refuse to try, refuse to put in the effort to advance, refuse to accept any other answer than OF COURSE need a lefty guitar to make this [common stumbling clock] work and then they go get a lefty guitar and get to learn all of the same problems exist, from either hand, on the way to being awesome. Maybe sometimes being a lefty is an identity thing as much as it is anything else.

The world disproportionately kills us because poo poo like heavy machinery is not made with handedness in mind. Even simple things like scissors and knives having the wrong angles or the wrong fulcrum...

There is not a day where being the "wrong" handedness doesn't come into your awareness multiple times and being told to deal with it or "get good" is about as condescending a response as someone can offer so your teaching should probably consider that and be a bit more compassionate

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

There is not a day where being the "wrong" handedness doesn't come into your awareness multiple times and being told to deal with it or "get good" is about as condescending a response as someone can offer so your teaching should probably consider that and be a bit more compassionate

Truth! I'm not as condescending or judgmental to a student as I appear in that [venting] post, I just hate when lefties make it harder on themselves than it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Did an experiment this week on my "Best Meta/Guitar Riffs every year since I was born" series (where my friends pick the riffs) and recorded EVERYTHING on the neck pickup to see ... what would happen. Or if it would make it less clean/crisp/heavy or whatever. Turns out it works just fine for 90s bullshit.

Tone comes from your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7GLGLxi8g4

(let me know if it's not cool to post your own videos, I try not to but I thought this one was fun due to the aforementioned)