Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Astronomy Photographer of the Year shortlist
https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year/galleries/2023-shortlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A lot of gorgeous shots there, but that composite moon photo is amazing.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

may be old news, but NASA has an amateur astrophotography contest, this time focusing on Messier 74: https://mo-www.cfa.harvard.edu/OWN/astrophoto/index.html

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
As most of us know: OPT the major astronomy vendor is history and there was an large auction that sold off it's good.

The digital assets have been purchased by Agena Astro which includes the brands, website, mailing list, etc. Liabilities and unsettled claims against OPT is being handled by another company.

https://optcorp.com/pages/opt-closure-announcement

I've always been pleased with Agena Astro's service and selection so I guess this is a good thing.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Agena is my favorite retailer to deal with. Manish runs a really tight ship and they're always a joy.

simble
May 11, 2004

big

Another North America/Pelican.

5.5 hours of narrowband

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I saved up the cash for an Apertura AD10 and a case for it. I bought it.

Oh god.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Star Man posted:

Oh god.

Congrats!

If your skies are fairly dark or better you'll be able to see quite a few things. I have 10" Sky-Watcher under Bortle 4 skies and can see quite a bit - lots of grey fuzzies when it comes to many DSOs. You 10" dob comes with a dual focuser which is a nice instant upgrade. I had to upgrade mine.

You also will have the RACI which is nice (more ergonomic than most finders) , but if you find it hard to use it to point at something think of adding something like a Telrad or even switching to a dual bracket to add even a red dot or green laser.

Also make sure to something to sit on to save your back and neck. My 10" dob is my sit on my rear end and relax scope.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Star Man posted:

Oh god.

Welcome to the dobsonian club. Got my first one 25 years ago and they've been my favorite possessions ever since.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
IT'S HERE

Star Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 13, 2023

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

gently caress. Yes.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Easiest piece of Ikea furniture I ever built

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Star Man posted:

Easiest piece of Ikea furniture I ever built

That's gorgeous! Did you get any accessories with it?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

fondue posted:

That's gorgeous! Did you get any accessories with it?

Only what it came with. I'll build up to aftermarket accessories. First I need to get a case for eyepieces and other equipment :v:

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I did an image a couple of days ago

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I also tried to catch a target which is more of a North hemisphere target, as it only just gets above our horizon down south

Veil nebula

It was pretty low

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I got my telescope collimated and ready to go.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Did a couple of images over the weekend

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What's that second one? Gorgeous.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's a picture of space, phanatic

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Achmed Jones posted:

that's a picture of space, phanatic

:thanks:

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

It's the Fighting Dragons of Ara , aka NGC 6188, aka Rim nebula

Taken with a ASI294MC camera + canon 600mm lens, 105 x 120sec

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
As much as light pollution sucks, I feel like an even bigger killer of night sky observing is trees.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
Okay, why in loving hell does Celestron still use Java and jar files?!?

I really haven't bothered to update the firmware in the hand controllers until now, but I cannot for the life of me to get the Celestron File Manager to open.

I have Windows 10, I downloaded CFM and extracted the files into another folder. I have Java™ Platform SE bit. I used the properties of the CFM.jar file to use the java program to open the jar program. I get loving nothing.

I did read about Jarfix, but that program is a nightmare webpage as virtually every "download" link is some BS. I found it on fileplanet and it was bundled with one of those browser hijackings. Windows Security was able to remove it.

I looked through CloudyNights and haven't seen any fix to get further than I have. I'm trying to update to version 5.35 for the hand controller NexStar +. Any real fixes out there? It's probably something simple, but I'm stupid with computers it seems.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just saw a starlink conga line streak past for the first time and man, Elon sucks rear end.

They were brighter than everything in the Big Dipper.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It was cloudy tonight, but the only thing of note that I saw all night was of course a Starlink train.

Go to hell, Musk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I replaced the hosed ring gear on my ZEQ mount. See if you can spot the difference! I also renewed the motor at the same time and it is working properly now. I am very happy.

Given the state of the ring gear I expected the worm to be trashed, but nope, looking pretty good.

I suspect there either wasn't enough, or no lubricant so I made sure to grease both the ring and the worm liberally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had good luck Saturday night. Except for the part where I fell asleep around 2:30 and my intervalometer shut off for some reason, lost about an hour of shooting time. Oops.

perseid meteor shower over the boar's tusk

I struggled with processing decisions. I wanted it to look as if I was there, and it was dark as poo poo. I tried to tone down the stars to get closer to the human eye but my slider wiggling skills to get rid of dimmer stars were not up to snuff. I really should have taken some shorter exposures to simply not capture the dimmer stars, but I can't rewind time unfortunately. Obviously this deletes the shape of the milky way too, you can see if it you know it's there but my eyes are at the point where I can barely see it anyways so I guess this makes it more "eye accurate."

I'm pretty bad at astro processing though so if anyone's got tips I'd love to hear them.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is wild. Looks like we just hit warp speed.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I love how you can see the double cluster and Andromeda.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How long do the Perseids last? Saturday night and last night we didn't get to go look at anything because of reasons, wondering if it's worth getting out of the city for an hour or so tonight

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
After going to monthly star parties since 2022, I've realized that I'm an absolute weirdo among other amateur astronomers because my familiarity with the sky is in constellations and their mythology.

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

Star Man posted:

After going to monthly star parties since 2022, I've realized that I'm an absolute weirdo among other amateur astronomers because my familiarity with the sky is in constellations and their mythology.

As long as one doesn't start to prattle on about astrology, you'll be fine.

There was finally a good star party in my area last Friday since all the previous ones were rained, clouded or smoked out. It was well attend compared to last year's parties. Most people pretty normal and curious about scopes and/or just want to see some cool stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Liquid Chicken posted:

As long as one doesn't start to prattle on about astrology, you'll be fine.

I don't do astrology. I don't even mind people who are into it, unless they use it to make major life decisions.

My foundational night sky knowledge came from books like The Space Atlas and Skywatching and beating them into memory in fourth and fifth grade. With it came reading into Greek mythology, and then developed into an interest in classics.

In summary, I'm the humanities major among a bunch if STEMlords.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

xzzy posted:

perseid meteor shower over the boar's tusk
Nice!

[quote="Comrade Blyatlov" post="533872573"]
I replaced the hosed ring gear on my ZEQ mount. See if you can spot the difference! I also renewed the motor at the same time and it is working properly now. I am very happy.

Given the state of the ring gear I expected the worm to be trashed, but nope, looking pretty good.

I suspect there either wasn't enough, or no lubricant so I made sure to grease both the ring and the worm liberally.

Good job. I've been totally meaning to tear apart my CGEM and re-bearing it. I've heard from the factory they were "mediocre-ly" assembled with questionable cleaning and lubricating practices.

http://soggyastronomer.com/celestron-cgem-mount-hypertune/

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Cygnus region of the Milky Way

35mm Sigma Art Lens f/2.8
Sony A7RIII ISO 1600
iOptron Skyguider Pro
2h integration

With work and weather keeping me in all summer I decided to take a good night and break out my 35mm Sigma f/1.4 and try a wide field shot. The Milky Way looks good but I'm really only happy with how the NA nebula looks and I didn't even center it. Stopping it down effectively controlled the coma. I think I'm going to go to a 50mm lens next time.

55mm SMC Takumar f/5.6
Sony A7RIII ISO 3200
iOptron Skyguider Pro
3h integration

Broke out a vintage lens for the second night. Fortunately it focused right at infinity, unfortunately it had catastrophic angelwing coma at anything above f/5.6.

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 20, 2023

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Two years in to the project, and I'm now 20% of the way through the Herschel 400. Made it through twelve objects tonight. Of course it isn't about the destination...

Adding Starsense explorer to my dob has made cranking through long observing lists a bit easier and a lot more comfortable. No more craning my neck and back to look through a finderscope or Telrad. Combined with my observing chair, it has made long observing sessions a lot easier on my increasingly middle-aged rear end.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

My first attempt at solar photography. I've reproduced the image desaturated and in colour. I'm very pleased it worked at all but I definitely look forward to developing the technique.

Nexstar Evolution 8 with celestron solar filter, 40mm Plössl eyepiece, Samsung s22 Ultra.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good practice for the eclipse in October.

Assuming you’re in that part of NA. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

NZ, so.... no, I think I'll miss it.