Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Desk Lamp posted:

Most people buying phones don't know and don't care what's powering them.

yeah, but most people arent going to be buying the nothing phone, either. most people aren't ever going to hear about the nothing phone.

ya gotta build a base if you wanna get to the mainstream, my point is that releasing an underpowered slab for old oneplus fanboys probably aint the path. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I agree. Clueless retail consumers aren't buying a Nothing Phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That notorious underpowered chipset, the SD8+ Gen 1.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In other news, The Studio is enamored with the Zenfone 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN1quq134Zo

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

ya zenphone 10 looks rad

if i didnt already upgrade to an s23 ultra this year, it'd be seriously tempting. provided the camera is close to top tier or it's trivial to move the google pixel software into it, if that's still a thing that people can do(?)

i do think the camera array looks kinda dumb, since the lenses aren't all that big apparently, it's just the housing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Would the Zenphone 10 possibly work with Visible (Verizon network)? I think I saw a list somewhere of supported carriers, and recall Verizon/Visible not being on it. It looks like it might have at least some compatible bands though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think there's much changed over the Zenfone 9 as far as camera goes other than the 6 axis stabilization being improved. The main output on that was polarizing. The sensor is a little on the older side, IMX766, but decent enough. Oppo group has used it a lot in their phones since it came out too (OnePlus 10T had it before the OnePlus 11 moved to the IMX890 along with a lot of other Oppo phones.)

The main complaint was Asus tends to oversharpen their images. They've toned it down a bit since the Zenfone 9 came out and unless you pixel peep, most people probably won't notice. Otherwise the night mode works well. The Zenfone 9 was actually ranked 3rd in MKBHD's blind camera comparison so clearly most people found the images pleasing.

It looks to be a really nice device and is tempting to pick up for the moments that I would want to carry a very small footprint phone over the heavier Pixel Fold (which I'm enamored with.)

I think I may prefer pictures out of the Fold over the 7 Pro under some circumstances. The 7 Pro has the low light advantage, no doubt, but I think I'm finding that I prefer Sony sensor output to Samsung even above and beyond whatever processing the camera does. This goes even for the S23 Ultra. When I was using that with my SIM in it a few weeks back I had shot a bunch of pictures including a bunch outdoors at my niece's birthday and I wasn't that happy with the output. The lighting was a bit harsh because it was late afternoon and a lot of photos were backlit by bright sun coming into a shaded park pavilion and the phone did NOT handle the dynamic range well. Background was blown out, foreground was a touch under exposed, everything had a glowing halo that was backlit from edge enhancement. That's all separate from the shutter speed issues causing blur on the majority of the photos.

I think the S23U is a good camera for landscape/object stills, especially in pro mode, but it struggles with daily life stuff.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sirbeefalot posted:

Would the Zenphone 10 possibly work with Visible (Verizon network)? I think I saw a list somewhere of supported carriers, and recall Verizon/Visible not being on it. It looks like it might have at least some compatible bands though.

No. Verizon is a pain to work with to validate phones and have unicorn band requirements (along with favoring phones with MMWAVE), so most smaller players don't bother even trying.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nothing Phone (2) full reviews have dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfnYMNCDks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRUtHtqfCGA

Summary is solid battery life and performance, cameras are good enough (most of the time, some glitches), the software theming is really well done and the phone is overall worth it if you buy into the aesthetic.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Nothing Phone (2) full reviews have dropped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VfnYMNCDks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRUtHtqfCGA

Summary is solid battery life and performance, cameras are good enough (most of the time, some glitches), the software theming is really well done and the phone is overall worth it if you buy into the aesthetic.

shame about the overheating warnings tho. maybe they can mitigate that with some optimizations they can make.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I don't know what's up with that because generally I haven't heard of any newer SD post TSMC transition having any overheating issues.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I think the Nothing Phone 2 is cool as heck and don't give one poo poo if it only comes with one of the best non-Apple SOC's from 2022. I'm on a Verizon mvno that I'm quite happy with though, and while the lack of mmwave means nothing to me, the absence of band 13 for LTE would noticeably hinder its connectivity, especially at my work where my Pixel often falls back on 4G.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Anybody know why SMS would not generate notifications?
I just had to walk my father through finding the messages app and looking for some activation SMSes there. Which were sitting around in there, not making noise.
What should I test, next time I visit him and can actually touch the device instead of being on the phone? He is on a old MiA1, should be Android 10ish.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Notifications set to silent/replaced by a silent sound effect, messages marked as spam, phone set to Do Not Disturb (my mom does this on accident so often, ugh), some but (reboot?). Lots of small things I would play with.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Uthor posted:

Notifications set to silent/replaced by a silent sound effect, messages marked as spam, phone set to Do Not Disturb (my mom does this on accident so often, ugh), some but (reboot?). Lots of small things I would play with.

Silent notification should still hang around in the notification list, right? Probably not DnD as he gets my whatsapp messages just fine.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The glyph feature on the nothing phone seems really cool

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VictualSquid posted:

Silent notification should still hang around in the notification list, right? Probably not DnD as he gets my whatsapp messages just fine.

If you open up the app in settings, you can turn off all notifications with one option. That's another possibility!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I haven't seen mentioned right now is the OnePlus 10T is down to $399 and comes with a bonus of free case and tempered glass screen protector.

That's actually SCREAMING deal for a high end phone. SD8+ Gen 1 and 1080p screen so it rivals the OnePlus 11 for battery life and still has insane charging.

Camera is ok, not top end, but really good enough for most stuff. Same sensor that's on the Zenfone 9 and 10 actually. Plastic frame, but glass back.

But for $399 you get SD8+ Gen 1, 1080p 120hz screen, 360hz touch sampling rate, flat screen, robust cooling system. Unless camera is top priority, it's actually hard to suggest anything else right now if you aren't buying in the top end.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bull3964 posted:

One thing I haven't seen mentioned right now is the OnePlus 10T is down to $399 and comes with a bonus of free case and tempered glass screen protector.

That's actually SCREAMING deal for a high end phone. SD8+ Gen 1 and 1080p screen so it rivals the OnePlus 11 for battery life and still has insane charging.

Camera is ok, not top end, but really good enough for most stuff. Same sensor that's on the Zenfone 9 and 10 actually. Plastic frame, but glass back.

But for $399 you get SD8+ Gen 1, 1080p 120hz screen, 360hz touch sampling rate, flat screen, robust cooling system. Unless camera is top priority, it's actually hard to suggest anything else right now if you aren't buying in the top end.

Is the SD8+ Gen 1 the good SoC from last year then? I remember hearing not great things from SD8 Gen 1, or am I confused?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the 'plus' is them moving to TSMC and it's a HUGE improvement over the OG SD8 Gen 1. Honestly, from a usability perspective, it's honestly more of a jump than going from SD8+ Gen 1 to SD8 Gen 2.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I am still rocking my pixel 6 or when I get bored iphone 13 mini, the pixel 7 didn't persuade me, the folding one would get destroyed by me and apple now has no more mini.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am setting up a new phone (galaxy A33) for my elderly parents before they go on their holiday. I am trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible as they have never used a smart phone.

I have got just a few apps on the home screen. I want to make the "phone" icon to be larger than the others? A quick google just points to the different grid configs. Is it possible to change the size of just one icon?

Thanks.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
With alternate launchers, yeah, but I don't think you can with the stock one (at least on Pixels; I have no recent experience with Samsungs).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There might be a random app which gives you a big widget?

One bit of advice based on dealing with my mom who just taps everything: remove unnecessary things from the Quick Settings (correct name? The thing that comes down when you swipe down from the top of the screen). My mom would constantly turn off her Wi-Fi or go into airplane mode and ask me why her phone isn't working.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Jippa posted:

I am setting up a new phone (galaxy A33) for my elderly parents before they go on their holiday. I am trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible as they have never used a smart phone.

I have got just a few apps on the home screen. I want to make the "phone" icon to be larger than the others? A quick google just points to the different grid configs. Is it possible to change the size of just one icon?

Thanks.

Samsung phones have an Easy mode. https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/using-easy-mode/

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Celexi posted:

I am still rocking my pixel 6 or when I get bored iphone 13 mini, the pixel 7 didn't persuade me, the folding one would get destroyed by me and apple now has no more mini.

The 7 was a pretty nice upgrade IME, even if on paper it wasn't much. The 8 will probably be more so.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jippa posted:

Thanks.

I don't how Samsungs do in this regard, but I pushed my dad to using Google Assistant voice controls on the Pixel 6a I got him and it works great for him. Just tell the phone what you want it to do and 90% of the time it will do it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thanks all.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there an android phone that would be good for doing phone dev work? Doesn't need to be super amazing, cyanogen or similar support would be nice. Pixel 4a or something perhaps?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Any mainstream phone will be fine. Just depends what you're doing, who your target audience is, etc. Good to pick Pixels as they are the target experience for Googled Android, but you could also go for a Samsung as they're also very popular.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

If someone, for some reason, is looking to buy a OnePlus device from their website between now and the 20th I have a 5% off code I got for doing their Genshin Impact promo thing. It generated a code so I don’t think it’s tied to my account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Reports right now are that Samsung's 3nm yield is roughly double TSMC's right now. It's going to be hilarious when Tensor moves to TSMC just as Qualcomm moves back to Samsung Fab out of supply issues.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Does anybody know how to restrict my phone to only turn on with the power button temporarily? Such that pressing the display or fingerprint button does nothing, but pressing the power button still opens the lock screen.
Or maybe deactivate all lock screen actions except for logging in. Including emergency calls.

I wanted that right now to install a screen protector, where I did just fully shut down the phone.
But, now that I had the idea, I kinda want the mode to prevent pocket dialling. Or rather pocket skipping forward on my podcasts.
I actually want the quick access most of the time, but sometimes I am wearing pants that are especially prone to pocket dialling. Which is why I want something that is easy to switch on and off.

e: Pixel 6a, if it matters.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 20, 2023

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

VictualSquid posted:

Does anybody know how to restrict my phone to only turn on with the power button temporarily? Such that pressing the display or fingerprint button does nothing, but pressing the power button still opens the lock screen.
Or maybe deactivate all lock screen actions except for logging in. Including emergency calls.

I wanted that right now to install a screen protector, where I did just fully shut down the phone.
But, now that I had the idea, I kinda want the mode to prevent pocket dialling. Or rather pocket skipping forward on my podcasts.
I actually want the quick access most of the time, but sometimes I am wearing pants that are especially prone to pocket dialling. Which is why I want something that is easy to switch on and off.

Hold power down and choosing lockdown will force a pin entry, doesn't keep the screen off though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

I believe the Pixel shouldn't allow any input if the proximity sensor detects something pressed against the phone, I don't think it's a setting you can toggle though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Desk Lamp posted:

I believe the Pixel shouldn't allow any input if the proximity sensor detects something pressed against the phone, I don't think it's a setting you can toggle though.

Oh, it will absolutely allow input if the proximity sensor detects something. It will only disable it if you have an activity that would stop other input. Like an ongoing phone call.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

The one thing I hate about my Pixel and the screen turning on is I'll get a spam call, hit the volume button to silence the ringer, hit the power button to turn off the screen, and then if I move the phone the slightest, the screen will turn back on. I'm always worried this will cause the call to be answered as I'm putting it into my pocket.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it sounds like you just want to turn off "Tap to Check Phone".

If that setting is off, you need to press the power button to wake the device.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I mean, it sounds like you just want to turn off "Tap to Check Phone".

If that setting is off, you need to press the power button to wake the device.

Pretty much that. But, temporarily or at least with only one or 2 clicks, and then turn it on again automatically or with a click.
Actually, can any of those phone automatisation tools switch the setting?

Desk Lamp posted:

Yes, normally. But, the proximity sensor is not detecting that specific pair of pants.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like 4 taps is an easy setup since you can add a widget to go directly to "System" settings from your home screen. Then it's Gestures, Click the setting, and flip it off.

There may be ways to access it more directly.