Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think Pikmin has ever reviewed poorly, it's just a really drat good formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

It sounds like the reviews have been positive so far? There's one outlier but that's probably just to get rageclicks.

I created a Pikmin thread this evening for all your Pikmin needs.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I saw some dumbass on Gematsu whine that the new Pikmin game seems "dumbed down for casuals", etc. which means I will probably absolutely love it. I've never tried a Pikmin game before!

It's never been the timer countdown thing for me, I actually can enjoy those in games that want you to loop replays to get more and more knowledge/progress! I just don't want my lil dudes to die... :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pikmin games are really good but for some reason the Pikmin dying always leaves me feeling kind of down which makes it hard for me to just enjoy them. I think they just hit that right degree of vulnerable and cute where I don't want them to die. :(

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I beat Pikmin 1 and 2 when they first came out, but never really got into them the way I did with 3 Deluxe. I must have beaten it like 5 times now, real curious to see if 4 can live up to that.

Haven't played the demo though, I already knew I was gonna buy it so I decided I wanted to get the full course meal rather than an appetizer a month before the main dish.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ImpAtom posted:

Pikmin games are really good but for some reason the Pikmin dying always leaves me feeling kind of down which makes it hard for me to just enjoy them. I think they just hit that right degree of vulnerable and cute where I don't want them to die. :(

Them dying is one thing, but their little ghosts/souls coming out?! No! :smith: I don't need this visual reminder of my failure!

At least they don't have individual names, ha!

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wall kicks WILL work

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's so sad! But doesn't that just make you want to protect them? The stakes are higher than in most games. Of course you can't relax. The Pikmin are relying on you!

I've died a thousand deaths as Mario and never felt a thing other than varying levels of annoyed. I lost a single pikmin in Pikmin 2, and when I realized my squad wouldn't sing anymore, I mourned for their single fallen comrade along with my 99 colorful friends.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ImpAtom posted:

4 has a Rewind feature (to the last auto save) so you can try again!

Definitely considering getting it after watching reviews from ign (9), game Informer (9), Nintendo life, and gamespot (the lowest review; a 7).

It still has a day/night cycle, but no overarching time/supply constraints like the earlier games, which is nice. If i wanted to stress out about deadlines I'd go to work :-/

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 20, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

4 has a Rewind feature (to the last auto save) so you can try again!

Definitely considering getting it after watching reviews from ign (9), game Informer (9), Nintendo life, and gamespot (the lowest review; a 7).

It still has a day/night cycle, but no overarching time/supply constraints like the earlier games, which is nice. If i wanted to stress out about deadlines I'd go to work :-/

Pikmin 2 doesn't have a deadline either, for what it's worth. It's only Pikmin 1 (30 days) and Pikmin 3 (managing your Juice supply) that has a finite number of days. And Pikmin 3 has plenty of fruit to ensure you're well ahead of the consumption curve.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
All you have to do is lead red pikmin into water one time, then you realize you have no loving business in a leadership position

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pikmin 2 doesn't have a deadline either, for what it's worth.

Keep in mind that some of the caves in Pikmin 2 can be REALLY spicy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unlucky7 posted:

Keep in mind that some of the caves in Pikmin 2 can be REALLY spicy.

Oh, kinda? Not generally but are you thinking of the rear end in a top hat with the rollers coming for you on every floor til the last? It has been a minute since I played Pikmin 2, I'll admit, and I'm holding off getting the remasters til the physical edition releases.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

There's a huge difference between Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2. The developer interview was even making a point about how they appeal to completely different types of people.

I like them both, but Pikmin 1 was a bit too stressful, a bit too finite. If I had to chose I'd chose the freedom and chosen challenges of Pikmin 2.

Pikmin 3 was deliberately made in the Pikmin 1 mold. It had a theoretical limit in the Juice supply. In practice, there was no way you'd ever run out of juice though, so it was just the idea of the time limit. I was... okay with that. I wasn't stressed, but it also didn't add that much to my experience. Though it was fun when Louie stole all your juice near the finale so you actually had to worry about it again.

Pikmin 4 promises to merge Pikmin 1 and 2 using the power of dandori. There's no hard limit, but there's a hard emphasis on optimizing. The challenge is real, but it is largely self imposed, as you feel you could do things more efficiently. Even in the demo it seemed like they added a lot of options and collectables. That's Pikmin 2's openness, but the designers purport to understand that people will try and optimize on their own. Dandori. You have a ton of options, and so your task is to optimize. That's a good game design. Doing things better feels meaningful, but for its own sake, not because of an arbitrary limit.

If I'm being honest, it feels like it's actually conceding the Pikmin 2 model. A low pressure overworld and challenging dungeons. Sure that's challenging dandori, but so was Pikmin 2. Just offer more and more and more options, and let the player chose what to prioritize. It's so satisfying! That seems like the design philosophy behind Pikmin 4.

Even though I loved Pikmin from the first game, I'm a Pikmin 2 personality, and I really can't wait for Pikmin 4.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

All you have to do is lead red pikmin into water one time, then you realize you have no loving business in a leadership position

Nothing is more soul crushing than leaving Pikmin behind and watching them chase after the ship/onions as they take off only to be eaten. It's honestly the most devastating poo poo in all video games.

Those poor fuckers...

Pikmin 4's co-op is just aiming around and shooting enemies with a cursor which is really disappointing after what Pikmin 3 Deluxe had. :effort:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

sigher posted:

Pikmin 4's co-op is just aiming around and shooting enemies with a cursor which is really disappointing after what Pikmin 3 Deluxe had. :effort:

Yeah we were really looking forward here to playing it together ever since it got announced and then shortly before release found out "uh guess we'll have to play it separately"

I suppose split screen co-op would not have worked very well with how the game is split between overworld and caves.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Read After Burning posted:

I saw some dumbass on Gematsu whine that the new Pikmin game seems "dumbed down for casuals", etc. which means I will probably absolutely love it. I've never tried a Pikmin game before!

It's never been the timer countdown thing for me, I actually can enjoy those in games that want you to loop replays to get more and more knowledge/progress! I just don't want my lil dudes to die... :ohdear:

I love it when nerds complain about a game being "dumbed down for casuals" or similar, because that automatically puts the game on my radar. Oh, you mean I might actually be able to finish this game without making it basically a second job? Please tell me me more!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My friend bought aN64 mainly to play the sequel to Yoshi's Island, and it when it came out it was so bad he sold his N64, bought a PlayStation, and never bought another Nintendo console

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 20, 2023

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My friend bought aN64 mainly to play the sequel to Yoshi's Island, and it when it came out it was so bad he sold his N64, bought a PlayStation, and never bought another Nintendo console

:sever:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I'd believe it. That game was rear end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same but Castlevania

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Same but Castlevania

If you haven’t already, :sever: with your friend cause Castlevania 64 owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No I meant me and I will never accept the recent revisionism that Castlevania 64 is good

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

No I meant me and I will never accept the recent revisionism that Castlevania 64 is good

yeah wtf

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Castlevania 64, the one with Reinhardt and Carrie, sucks rear end.

Legacy of Darkness, the other CV game on the 64 with Cornell the werewolf, is fair-to-middling.

Don't confuse them.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
which 64 castlevania has the skeletons on a motorbike and sidecar

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Non Compos Mentis posted:

which 64 castlevania has the skeletons on a motorbike and sidecar

I believe both.

I appreciated Frankensaw, but that's it. gently caress CV64, either version.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

If Mischief Makers came out today it'd be a critical hit and indie darling. It was just way too ahead of its time on N64

Sakurazuka posted:

the N64 Castlevanias, both of them, were awful. I'd rather have a revisionism of Flying Dragon which was another weirdo release that got zero traction but owned

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I cant stand Castlevania 64 in play but ngl I love that box art/promotional art with its big ol chunky pre-rendered 3D

Tekken cutscenes, early graphics card box art, I love that whole weird style

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

wizard2 posted:

early graphics card box art, I love that whole weird style

As a kid I always wanted to play whatever "game" the robot t-rexes and alien babes on the boxes were from.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nintendo 64 has a few classics and a decent number of games that very much have the jank of their time but are still pretty good fun, but the library IS pretty scant. Awkward puberty phase is definitely the right way to put it, and the PS1 won out that generation for a reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DLC Inc posted:

If Mischief Makers came out today it'd be a critical hit and indie darling. It was just way too ahead of its time on N64

Perhaps the same could be said of all Treasure games

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
rip Treasure

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

Yeah, I only rented it once, a longass time ago, but it still made an impression! It's just such a weird little game. I'd love the chance to revisit it! It deserves a second chance!

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
chameleon twist

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

That game was so loving trash. Good man.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I'd rather have a revisionism of Flying Dragon which was another weirdo release that got zero traction but owned

gently caress yeah, the SD-mode fighting game RPG was awesome. Shame about those glitched items or whatever it was that wouldn't evolve so you could never actually get the ultimate powers. Robo no Hana was hilarious.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nintendo 64 has a few classics and a decent number of games that very much have the jank of their time but are still pretty good fun, but the library IS pretty scant. Awkward puberty phase is definitely the right way to put it, and the PS1 won out that generation for a reason.

The N64 is peaks and valleys, but you have some of the best games on there like everything Rare put out at the time, well mostly everything they did.

Also Mystical Ninja.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Mystical ninja is tight but the rare games are hard to go back to.

Mystical ninja has aged too but it's such a quick breezy playthrough and the soundtrack goes hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
N64 on NSO is replicating the game droughts the system had back in the 90's.

It's been months since the last game was added.