Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
All this Troi talk and nobody remembers that Troi got space-raped by an energy being and forced to bear its meat suit…and everybody kind of laughed it off, even her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

MuddyFunster posted:

Polished off the last of TNG S1 and boy howdy, that Conspiracy, eh? That sure was a sweaty load of weird, dark paranoia. Pretty gross too what with all the maggot eating and of course, the famous head explosion, which is nice to have some context for finally. Did not know about the gross bug sitting in the exploded corpse though, that was downright ghoulish. Unsettling ending too.

But then the actual season finale The Neutral Zone feels like a weird mash up of TOS and TNG sensibilities as I recognise them. The TOS-ness comes with the oddball trio of frozen folk struggling to acclimatize to the 24th century, fun, funny and I always find that particular story idea a poignant one. Then the TNG vibe of diplomacy with WEIRD FOREHEAD ROMULANS being smug dicks in their stupid shoulder pads. That's another outsider-looking-in thing. Maybe they make for great stories down the line, but the visual of them is pretty daft. Beats the poo poo out of the Ferengi though. And it's always nice to see Anthony James pop up in something, no matter how brief the part.

Overall, I've had a good time with the series so far! A pretty crap early clutch of episodes got me taking it very slowly, just an episode every now and then until I hit a sweet spot and have been taking them two at a time for the last week or so.

Should I keep posting my thoughts on the rest of the show as I go? I thought you guys would appreciate a first timer's experiences, but if you want me to cool off, I'll do so.

the other romulan is marc alaimo, who later plays gul dukat on DS9

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

MuddyFunster posted:

Should I keep posting my thoughts on the rest of the show as I go? I thought you guys would appreciate a first timer's experiences, but if you want me to cool off, I'll do so.

Yes please! Looking forward to your takes on the end of season 3 (and the beginning of season 4, to a lesser extent).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

All this Troi talk and nobody remembers that Troi got space-raped by an energy being and forced to bear its meat suit…and everybody kind of laughed it off, even her.

Weird that you think that should be her defining moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's really gross Nemesis was kind of a greatest hits of some of Troi's big TNG moments: getting space-raped and crashing the Enterprise into something.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

SlothfulCobra posted:

When did I imply that was her defining moment? That’s…a very strange assumption. I’m just adding it to list of transgressions made against the character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Watching TOS now and it's kinda funny how often there's some crisis and Kirk wants reports from all department heads. Like, yeah, Ron Howard's brother is threatening to blow up the ship, let's get a report from the head of the history department.

Those are where all the babes work

Marsupial Ape posted:

That’s because actually everyone wanted her to abort it and she chose to have it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

When did I imply that was her defining moment? That’s…a very strange assumption. I’m just adding it to list of transgressions made against the character.

Troisgressions

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

zoux posted:

That’s because actually everyone wanted her to abort it and she chose to have it.

And it was cool that Picard was immediately like “That settles that. Moving on”.

It just feels weird that it’s all “not a big deal” because the pregnancy was fast, painless, and didn’t permanently change her body. There’s some tone deafness I don’t like about that.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Ah, thanks guys, I'll try and keep it to notable episodes (for better or worse) and general thoughts on how seasons are going, rather than picking every single one apart. You'll notice I said nothing of We'll Always Have Paris because... Well, yeah.

WhiteHowler posted:

Yes please! Looking forward to your takes on the end of season 3 (and the beginning of season 4, to a lesser extent).

If you're referring to Best of Both Worlds, I'm pretty sure I've seen that at some point years (decades?) ago, but I'm still looking forward to it. There's a tiny handful of ones I know (don't know episode titles YET), be it the with all the aliens who keep calling Picard "The Picard" and think he's god, the one where Worf (I think?) keeps jumping into different universes. A few more will come up that I recognise, probably.

Sometimes, you can't help catching it on the TV, I suppose. And with regard to BoBW, that's surely a big cultural landmark bit of Trek, isn't it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

Ah, thanks guys, I'll try and keep it to notable episodes (for better or worse) and general thoughts on how seasons are going, rather than picking every single one apart. You'll notice I said nothing of We'll Always Have Paris because... Well, yeah.

It's telling that I read that as "We'll Always Have Tom Paris" and was like "Wait, that episode was really good, what the gently caress?" and then I realized you were talking about the TNG episode where Picard is horny (part 1 of an ongoing anthology).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McSpanky posted:

That kind of arrangement would definitely be more realistic, but wouldn't be as easy to follow for casual viewers. They do mention department heads and lower staff now and then on TNG but yeah, it's kinda crazy that seemingly all of the ship's operations are managed by the day shift senior staff.

There's no way you could possibly have 50 regular cast members either

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FISHMANPET posted:

Watching TOS now and it's kinda funny how often there's some crisis and Kirk wants reports from all department heads. Like, yeah, Ron Howard's brother is threatening to blow up the ship, let's get a report from the head of the history department.

Ever since the incident in Charlie X where the meatloaf in the galley ovens mysteriously turned into turkey, Kirk knows that weirdness can strike anywhere, and he wants to know about it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’ve been telling you turds every ship needs a Chief Metaphysican!

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Sash! posted:

It would have been fun if they'd done a one-off "Lower Decks" style episode that explored the night shift. I think the most we see is a few bits of it throughout the series, usually with Data in charge.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There is no day or night and if they do adhere to US naval shifts it's absolutely brutal.

Although having Data is a real plus. They can make this loving automaton sit on the bridge for weeks at a time without any degradation in his performance. Why they even give him time off makes no real narrative sense. He doesn't need time off to relax in his quarters or care for his cat (which he never should have had in the first place)

He should be made to sit on the bridge indefinitely and the failure to do so is a blight on Starfleet Command in general and on Picard as a Captain.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MrMojok posted:

There is no day or night and if they do adhere to US naval shifts it's absolutely brutal.

Although having Data is a real plus. They can make this loving automaton sit on the bridge for weeks at a time without any degradation in his performance. Why they even give him time off makes no real narrative sense. He doesn't need time off to relax in his quarters or care for his cat (which he never should have had in the first place)

He should be made to sit on the bridge indefinitely and the failure to do so is a blight on Starfleet Command in general and on Picard as a Captain.

Yeah okay Commander Maddox

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the Vidians could have stopped the Phage but they didn't believe in mask mandates or aerosols

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

MrMojok posted:

You want to go on a free elevator ride?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

MrMojok posted:

Yeah and they should have tried to duplicate him and have copies on every ship doing all sorts of menial work!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Powered Descent posted:

Ever since the incident in Charlie X where the meatloaf in the galley ovens mysteriously turned into turkey, Kirk knows that weirdness can strike anywhere, and he wants to know about it.

Speaking of Charlie X, I did not like two episodes in a row of "being with super human mental powers does bad things." They don't feel quite like Star Trek problems (with the hindsight of having watched everything else) but somehow they're some of the first aired episodes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Lord Hydronium posted:

It would have been fun if they'd done a one-off "Lower Decks" style episode that explored the night shift. I think the most we see is a few bits of it throughout the series, usually with Data in charge.

I want an episode where the main cast start their duty and the night shift commander is just "Hey guys, hope you slept well. While you were asleep, the ship was attacked by an alien entity that claims to have been worshiped in ancient Carthage as Moloch and he forced the bridge crew into an illusory version of the Third Punic War that seemed to last five months for us but was actually just a few minutes.

Also, we finished mapping that nebula. Well, see you tonight, the bridge is yours."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
For the night shift bridge crew, Q's usual shenanigans are just showing up with real booze, weed, takeout, and long-lost episodes of Doctor Who.

Now I'm wondering if in addition to synthahol there's also.... synthannabis? Synthabis?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

No, but it did make me think that you could have a Galaxy-class ship performing its original mission to fly out beyond Federation space on a long-term voyage of exploration, with several series taking place on the same ship like all those Chicago shows. Galaxy Command, Galaxy Medical, Ten-Forward, Lower Decks the Sitcom, the possibilities are endless!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Speaking of Charlie X, I did not like two episodes in a row of "being with super human mental powers does bad things." They don't feel quite like Star Trek problems (with the hindsight of having watched everything else) but somehow they're some of the first aired episodes.

TOS made some weird decisions about the order they aired the episodes vs. the order they filmed them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS aired what they had. “Charlie X” aired second because it was quicker to finish production, as a bottle episode (the ship exterior shots are reused—notice how you never see the ship Charlie came from). “Where No Man…” aired third because it was the second pilot episode shown to the network, and therefore already finished.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Except in remastered they did add a shot of the Antares, so that little bit of lore/history got kind of erased by the remastering.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

disaster pastor posted:

TOS made some weird decisions about the order they aired the episodes vs. the order they filmed them.

TOS and TNG both make the same crazy mistake of having Naked Time/Now really early in their runs, so they both had an episode where the crew is all acting out of character before we even get a grasp on what they're like IN character. Naked Time, I dunno, maybe you can get away with that, it's the fourth episode, the characters are indelible archetypes and the story is very campy and fun. Naked Now however... I don't think there's an excuse, given that they should have had the benefit of hindsight. It's a downright stupid choice having that as the second story right out of the gate with so many different characters to juggle. Add to that, it's nowhere near as fun, just a bit annoying and weird.

Still I suppose Picard's weird little laugh when Beverly is trying to sex him up is SOMETHING.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
I would say that Naked Time is far more successful for a number of reasons: the concept is fresher and the writing is significantly better. Naked Now is derivative and doesn't really tell us anything especially insightful about the crew. Geordi is resentful about being blind. Tasha and Troi are horny. Picard is.....? Wesley is an annoying teenager, etc. That Picard laugh is among the most bizarre moments in all of TNG's run.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 20, 2023

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Naked Now was extensively rewritten by a declining Roddenberry and team to make it all horny, to the point where DC Fontana, the original writer, had her name taken off it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Naked Time isn’t about being out of character, they’re not just being different people like in “Return to Tomorrow” or becoming lotus eaters like in “This Side of Paradise” or whatever. it’s a look beneath the facade. It’s about exploring the sides of the characters that are always present, but that they never want to show others. Naked Time is the first “Spock loses his cool” episode and as a result gave us the Spock character as we know him. (The character wasn’t originally intended to be the hyper-repressed emotionless one, that was Majel). The character dynamic established between Kirk and Spock in that ep lasts through like, everything else that ever had the characters in it. Essentially men who relate deeply to one another because they have both cut themselves off from intimacy and normal human feeling, to try and live life in the service of an ideal. I think it was far from a mistake to run Naked Time early, and I can see why they wanted to repeat the trick with TNG. They just hosed it up.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 20, 2023

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
That's a good read and you make a fair point. Perhaps calling Naked Time a mistake is wrong.

But Naked Now is absolutely a capital M Mistake. Perhaps it could have worked the same way if it weren't so inept and confused. I think it might be where a lot of the "Wesley is annoying" stuff originates from, because he's not that bad for the rest of the season. As I've said before, I find him surprisingly endearing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Early on Wesley gets into a whole lot of 'no really captain, there's a gremlin on the side of the ship!' situations and just gets constantly belittled and dismissed and I do feel bad for the poor guy. Datalore was terribke for this I remember

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think they wanted to make Wesley annoying in S1 and you’re supposed to relate to Picard being sick of his poo poo, but they just way overdid it. He’s always right and in fact, a super genius who’s practically ready to embark on a Starfleet career, but they treat him (and dress him) like a fourth grader. Then they let him drive the boat.

Idk it’s all over the place. Later Wesley appearances are much better imo

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
"SHUT UP, WESLEY."

I knew it'd appear at some point, but I still wasn't ready for the context of him voicing pretty valid concern about Data/Lore.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

MuddyFunster posted:

That's a good read and you make a fair point. Perhaps calling Naked Time a mistake is wrong.

But Naked Now is absolutely a capital M Mistake. Perhaps it could have worked the same way if it weren't so inept and confused. I think it might be where a lot of the "Wesley is annoying" stuff originates from, because he's not that bad for the rest of the season. As I've said before, I find him surprisingly endearing.
Yeah, I got around to starting a full watch of TNG recently, which was my first time watching most S1/S2 episodes, and found the Wesley hate somewhat overexagerrated. He's really bad in a few key episodes (including that one), but fine in most of them.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

skasion posted:

I think they wanted to make Wesley annoying in S1 and you’re supposed to relate to Picard being sick of his poo poo, but they just way overdid it.

I'm skeptical that they intentionally made Wesley a bit annoying. Remember that the character was created by a certain Eugene Wesley Roddenberry.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Wesley was way better as a recurring character than as a main cast member. The First Duty is a good episode.

The Naked Now sucks but it’s funny that Tasha and Data smashed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

MuddyFunster posted:

"SHUT UP, WESLEY."

I knew it'd appear at some point, but I still wasn't ready for the context of him voicing pretty valid concern about Data/Lore.

Yeah, last time I went through the first TNG seasons, I was like "drat, they're being really mean to this kid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
"the naked now" could be described as a mistake, it's a terrible episode and making it the second episode of the series is even worse since any new viewers that hadn't seen "encounter at farpoint" have no idea how the characters are normally supposed to act. and even then, everyone just gets all horned up. we don't really see many effects of the intoxication beyond that

in contrast, as skasion points out, we see spock lose his emotional control in "the naked time". we see kirk deal with not being able to command effectively (something that is coincidentally? more heavily the focus of the next episode, "the enemy within"). it's a much better episode that isn't strictly a comedic romp, which is something "naked now" fails at, probably due to gene's rewrites