Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Taear posted:

Are you not British? Because for the most part everyone in the series is famous - I guess there's maybe one or two AT BEST who you won't have heard of but especially with the early ones it's quite hard to be wondering who they are

Series 3 has al murray who is an enormous IRL bellend and series 6 has Russel Howard who is a bellend even in the show tbh

I am British, I just haven't watched TV since 2010, so it's always a delight seeing old and new.

Also if you slander series 12 you can get tae gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Raeg posted:

Although if you look at his Guardian article headlines, it makes perfect sense.

Edit: Beaten to the wild world of Chiles' columns. I continue to insist that man has mastered the art of the headline.

He's the one writer in British media who isn't completely psychotic and it's great. This one is the best and it inspired me to put a sign on my own door letting any delivery people to ring the bell if they need to use the bathroom.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Leatherhead posted:

'No Waaay!' playing on repeat in the back of my skull.

Noe Weey!!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Tagra posted:

Noe Weey!!

He's gone too Geordie for me!

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
gently caress it, I'll throw myself to the lions here:

As someone who watched it while it aired, Taskmaster US was a perfectly fine watch when it was the only Taskmaster available.

(But it's still the absolute worst by a wide margin)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t think I can handle watching the US version but I did give the Swedish one a try for one episode. It was regrettable.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Snowy posted:

I don’t think I can handle watching the US version but I did give the Swedish one a try for one episode. It was regrettable.

My partner and I bought and watched American Taskmaster so you don’t have to

Good: it’s the sunniest TM we have seen, Alex tries to bring comradery

Bad: the rest

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
You forgot Good: Ron Funches.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
The one thing I always think about with Adrian Chiles is the time he wrote a book to justify his alcoholism because trust me guys I learned to only have a couple now and everything's great

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Drinker-Learned-Love-Drinking/dp/1788163591

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Trabant posted:

Look at this person who forgot about The Wow Monster.

Apparently I truly did!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Taskmaster US might have been salvageable without Lisa Lampanelli. Her screeching and telling everyone to suck her balls after every task was simply unwatchable. Reggie Watts constantly going "Oh... alright I'll give you another point." didn't help much either.

I think I like Suurmestari (Finland) the best of the non-english international Taskmasters, although I really enjoyed the one season of Portugal I watched too. I'm not a huge fan of the taskmaster in Suurmestari, but I really like Pilvi Hämäläinen and her attempts to remain deadpan while the contestants are doing something ridiculous.

Most of the other international ones use the same tasks as the early UK seasons, which is still entertaining, but a lot of the times the lateral thinking solutions end up being so similar that you wonder if the contestants watched the UK episodes before joining the show. Suurmestari has unique tasks, although a lot of their live ones rely on Finnish wordplay and, even though the caption translator is doing an excellent job, a lot of the captions have "PAUSE THE VIDEO TO READ!" to explain how they used THIS word which is a variant of THAT word and it forms a joke that would surely be hilarious if you didn't have to read an explanation. It's still an interesting cultural experience, though.

I haven't watched a lot of Kongen Befaler but apparently those tasks are largely unique as well. I really didn't like Olli as the assistant in that... most of the assistants attempt to mimic Alex's submissive trolling, but Olli always came across as smug and arrogant and ruined the vibe for me. I watched a really early season though so maybe it gets better. They certainly have enough seasons now.

Portugal was interesting in that they had several unique tasks, the format was different with longer episodes, AND they had a contestant that was kind of screechy, but she somehow didn't ruin the entire show like Lampanelli did for US. Markl was the most "cuddly" assistant (literally a quote from the show, or at least the subtitle translator) and the taskmaster roasted them all ruthlessly but was never arrogant about it. I think someone is translating season 2 now so I'll have to hunt down those subtitles soon.

We started watching the Canadian one but we lost interest halfway through and I don't know why... I can't remember if it was repeated tasks or not. Maybe that was it.

Toss up for me whether NZ or AU is the best non-UK English taskmaster. Paul from NZ absolutely nails the Alex persona and they have episode-spanning tasks, but the AU one hit the ground running and has one of my favourite tasks so far with the 26 Passwords.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
If you don't like screechy contestants (and I'm with you there) then there's one excellent reason to give up on Canadian TM and I can only assume you've blocked it from your memory.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Unkempt posted:

If you don't like screechy contestants (and I'm with you there) then there's one excellent reason to give up on Canadian TM and I can only assume you've blocked it from your memory.

Oh I think I remember it now...

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Tagra posted:

Paul from NZ absolutely nails the Alex persona and they have episode-spanning tasks, but the AU one hit the ground running and has one of my favourite tasks so far with the 26 Passwords.

I really like Cashman too, he's not the blank slate of Paul or Alex but i enjoyed watching his visible delight at being there and being allowed to do this

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Irisi posted:

The truest thing ever written. What a revelation that episode was. 20 years of being the most anodyne and bland presenter on the TV, and then within five minutes of Taskmaster he's crawling trouserless over tarmac with an egg in his mouth, and expounding on the delights of descaling a tea urn as a method of therapy. Absolutely gold-tier lunacy.

Who doesn't enjoy a lovely clean kettle?

Rochallor posted:

He's the one writer in British media who isn't completely psychotic and it's great. This one is the best and it inspired me to put a sign on my own door letting any delivery people to ring the bell if they need to use the bathroom.

:hmmyes: may be on to something here

itry fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 20, 2023

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Among international editions, I'd say that to me the Danish version has the best combined Taskmaster + Assistant package - both pull their weight admirably. The assistant can be sneaky when the task calls for it, but is also incredibly game for putting himself in ridiculous positions if it will make the show better. Meanwhile the TM has authority and can spar with the contestants, and his scoring is reasoned and pretty fair. Can't decide between Portugal and Aus for the runner-up spot, no real weaknesses on either throne there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Rochallor posted:

it inspired me to put a sign on my own door letting any delivery people to ring the bell if they need to use the bathroom.

Did any of them take you up on it?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
There are some new faces around here so as a reminder, I made a version of Taskmaster myself with some friends. its definitely not paced as well as the official version but I think we generally did a pretty good job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhjC9a-25k

Also, they are working on a new season of Taskmaster Minnesota.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3FwQiDB5Bs&t=2s

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does anyone remember a prize task where someone brings in their house?
In my head it was either for most valuable thing (their mortgage) or "best key" but they've both been and gone now so I'm baffled. I thought it was early - Josh or Nish maybe? But nope, still not had it. Have I dreamed it?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Snowy posted:

Did any of them take you up on it?

Only the mailman so far, but that’s kind of different since it's been the same guy since I moved here. I understand Chiles' trepidation that there's no good way to offer people to use your bathroom, you'd probably feel nervous about using the toilet of somebody who's got a sign up about it.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Taear posted:

Does anyone remember a prize task where someone brings in their house?
In my head it was either for most valuable thing (their mortgage) or "best key" but they've both been and gone now so I'm baffled. I thought it was early - Josh or Nish maybe? But nope, still not had it. Have I dreamed it?

In the second episode of Champion of Champions 1, Josh puts up the keys to his house.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tavarin posted:

In the second episode of Champion of Champions 1, Josh puts up the keys to his house.

AH RIGHT
gently caress that's why I've not seen it, that isn't in the normal list on channel4od

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I like UK series 4 because now everytime I hear a ringtone in the wild, I mentally say "friendship" or some other dumb thing in my mind.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

I like UK series 4 because now everytime I hear a ringtone in the wild, I mentally say "friendship" or some other dumb thing in my mind.

Yes, this is what Sencha is...

"It was about the beauty of Sencha contrasting the gritty landscape of pre-rave mid-90s Britain."

"Except it wasn't Sencha, it was Radiate. You read the CD case wrong."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Censure?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Maybe now John Robins is sober he'd be able to handle Taskmaster.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm honestly surprised Japan hasn't picked up a license for Taskmaster (though I imagine some of its spread is stymied by the language barrier) since they have an even bigger gaggle of rotating comedians there as well to just run whole series twice a year without worrying about running out for decades and the sort of stuff they do in their own comedic sphere seems right up the alley for Taskmaster.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Japan is pretty saturated with taskmaster like shows. They even have shows that revolve around what would be a single task on taskmaster.

Japan in general also seems to prefer original content vs remaking an international show locally.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Does anyone know why some of the international versions have a "guest" each episode? It's great to get people more exposure I guess, and maybe a ratings draw if they're pulling in someone famous and popular, but it's weird for the flow of the show because ultimately they're not part of the competition. In regular Taskmaster you spend the first couple episodes getting to know everyone and they all basically feel like family by the end of the series. You don't have enough time to really get a feel for the personality of a one-episode guest. Yet multiple international versions use the guest model. Is it common to have guests on shows in those countries or something?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tagra posted:

I think I like Suurmestari (Finland) the best of the non-english international Taskmasters, although I really enjoyed the one season of Portugal I watched too. I'm not a huge fan of the taskmaster in Suurmestari, but I really like Pilvi Hämäläinen and her attempts to remain deadpan while the contestants are doing something ridiculous.

I agree Pilvi is great, but Jaakko Saariluoma isn't that hot as a taskmaster, I think he actually manages to regress on the role instead of growing into it. The show also suffers from the typical Finnish problem, the lack of vetting for the contestants so instead of hiring interesting no-name comedians and other such people they rotate the same faces from a very small pool of people that do all these types of shows.

The guests are also usually in their "media persona" so they cannot take a joke or be shown to absolutely bomb it, and season 3 had a great setup but then it turned out that the contestants besides the Madventures guy really weren't that funny, interesting, or insane on the "non-scripted" studio banter. I also don't like how Suurmestari cuts away the "smart" or "outside of the box"-solutions most of the time.

And if we are still voting for the worst UK season, my vote is for the season 9; Jo Brand was a really bad fit and actually managed to piss me off with her "I don't care"-attitude, combined with the other eldercare patient being a massive tool.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Tagra posted:

Does anyone know why some of the international versions have a "guest" each episode? It's great to get people more exposure I guess, and maybe a ratings draw if they're pulling in someone famous and popular, but it's weird for the flow of the show because ultimately they're not part of the competition. In regular Taskmaster you spend the first couple episodes getting to know everyone and they all basically feel like family by the end of the series. You don't have enough time to really get a feel for the personality of a one-episode guest. Yet multiple international versions use the guest model. Is it common to have guests on shows in those countries or something?

I'm with you that it's much better to have a fixed panel of five. But I've always imagined that having the guest slot is a concession to the network. Suppose their typical panel show rotates the slots every week, giving them a lot of variety, plenty of favours to bestow on their talent agencies, and no chance that they're lumbered with an unpopular choice for too long. The Taskmaster format might sound riskier than commissioning the next candidate. The guest slot gives them back maybe half of the variety without compromising the season arc all that much.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Der Kyhe posted:

And if we are still voting for the worst UK season, my vote is for the season 9; Jo Brand was a really bad fit and actually managed to piss me off with her "I don't care"-attitude, combined with the other eldercare patient being a massive tool.
"I am really intelligent, you know." - David Baddiel to Alex Horne.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

After watching the Joe Thomas highlight reel they just posted, I am once again going to bat for series 8. His antics alone are worth the price of admission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQcrlIoXaU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oh jay posted:

After watching the Joe Thomas highlight reel they just posted, I am once again going to bat for series 8. His antics alone are worth the price of admission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgQcrlIoXaU

i also liked him even more after hearing him on off menu and realizing how much his persona is not a gimmick and is just genuinely like that

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Der Kyhe posted:

The low effort/don’t care contestant is a common trope in the show and a good contrast against those who get too competitive. I think if it was just one of the two, it would have worked better… or if they weren’t on the same team for the team tasks.

Jo is a known quantity, so I wonder if they expected David Baddiel to be one of the clever older guys instead of someone who didn’t know where his hip is.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

They'd absolutely lump Ed with David if they could do it again but I did enjoy the young vs old energy difference lol

Also Jo sneezing when Ed was getting some praise form Greg was a great moment

"COME ON JO!!"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

As much as I loving detest David Baddiel I found him funny on it.
Jo felt like she was going "eh I don't care, I'll do what I like" and David felt like he was genuinely properly baffled and just didn't quite understand the concept of a competition.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
they had their moments-- i did enjoy their really leisurely walk around the house and the sandwiches and all that but they should not have been paired together when they could have been aggravating one each of ed and rose at the same time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like if they'd lumped Ed and David together the season would have been cut short due to a murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's good TV, though.