Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Gundam Evolution is shutting down in November
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1681862887705550849?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Neo_Crimson posted:

Hey man, Angelo is way too down bad for an adult at least.

True, but I think Angelo’s less engaging as a character than Gyunei; he’s just a boring little toady.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think angelo had any ideals. he'd devotedly follow any authority figure with a smidge of charisma and beautiful hair.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't think angelo had any ideals. he'd devotedly follow any authority figure with a smidge of charisma and beautiful hair.

Well that's just him following in Frontal's wake. No real ideals or drive besides being a vessel for others because he lacks his own desires. They're perfect for each other.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Within the confines of the manga adaptation, Char in The Origin is just presented as extremely hosed up. He was the son of NotJesus and lived his entire life dealing with that while being raised by Ramba Ral's hosed up dad which only made him worse. He's charismatic and a schemer but it's pretty careful to show that his schemes are almost always short-term goals at the best of time.

Like that's a key to Char and it's there in the original series too. Char is not a good long-term planner. He is entirely too prone to acting on his impulses and doing something that appeals to him in the short term without considering the long-term consequences to people around him or to his own plans. Like yeah he can betray his friend and drop a quip as he dies but his short-sightedness means he almost fucks up his plans to kill the people he *really* hates, then he gets diverted by Lalah, then he gets diverted by Amuro and even him getting his revenge against Kycilia is (within the original show/Origin) presented as him basically deciding it's more important to Bazooka her right loving now than to get to safety.

From the start of his life to the end of his life he basically is incapable of not self-sabotaging because any long term plans he has go out the window the moment he sees something that tickles his fancy, which is why he ends it getting his poo poo kicked in by Amuro because he sent Amuro the tech he needed to stop his plan.

You can look at Char and see how he is superficially cool and good at killing people but it's also very clear that is all he is good at. If he developed past that and actually was able to focus on his goals he probably could have been terrifyingly effective but at that point he wouldn't really have been Char anymore either because Char is 100% the guy who will get his own best friend killed because he wants to drop a sick burn.

I didn't know how much I wanted a spin-off alternative timeline series where Char becomes a petulant driver in whatever is UC's equivalent of F1 under the moniker Édouard Mass until this post. It makes so much sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Dessel posted:

I didn't know how much I wanted a spin-off alternative timeline series where Char becomes a petulant driver in whatever is UC's equivalent of F1 under the moniker Édouard Mass until this post. It makes so much sense.

Did any of the Cyber GPX shows have a Char? Cause Fukuda may have served your wish already if so.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Did any of the Cyber GPX shows have a Char? Cause Fukuda may have served your wish already if so.

It not only had a Char, it had a Quattro (Prince Rosenkreuz is the funniest joke in the entire series) and it had Durandal who was voiced by Ikeda and who in the games gets his own gold-plated Asurada which he pilots with nothing but Char references.

Cyber Formula (until Sin) was the best.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Amuro and lalah gently caress, char has to sit in the newtype cuck chair

Years later, he finds the chair occupied by some strange tall man in an iron mask.

Char concedes him the chair, for he can sense that he can never ever be as fundamentally cucked as this man.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Another retro style cutscene from UC ENGAGE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_xcGrdIKCA

This one sees Char testing out a Rick Dom in a mock battle and basically reviewing it. I don't quite understand how those non-lethal beam bazooka shots even work. I don't know Japanese, but it seems like he concludes that he can't beat Amuro in this.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sander posted:

. I don't quite understand how those non-lethal beam bazooka shots even work.

They just turn the power down to minimum obviously

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

They just turn the power down to minimum obviously

It's not like there isn't precedent; the Dom's own beam scatter gun was essentially a glorified flashlight because it didn't have the power to really do any damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sander posted:

This one sees Char testing out a Rick Dom in a mock battle and basically reviewing it. I don't quite understand how those non-lethal beam bazooka shots even work. I don't know Japanese, but it seems like he concludes that he can't beat Amuro in this.

I assume they are literal low power lasers and the Zakus are just programmed to turn off when hit. Basically laser tag

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sander posted:

Another retro style cutscene from UC ENGAGE. I don't quite understand how those non-lethal beam bazooka shots even work.

Clearly they installed the Asticassia regulation program.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

It's not like there isn't precedent; the Dom's own beam scatter gun was essentially a glorified flashlight because it didn't have the power to really do any damage.

Look if three Rick Dom reactors is all you need to power the Apsalus III's super beam cannon then they can clearly just tune a regular Dom reactor down to make the beam output tickle.

Those Dom reactors, most versatile things imaginable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Exia posted:

Gundam Evolution is shutting down in November
https://twitter.com/HD_Kirin/status/1681862887705550849?s=20

lol

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

chiasaur11 posted:

He is a staggering amount of fuckup. Even Jerid can't compete.

McGillis can!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Sander posted:

drat, the retro aesthetics are cool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

Look if three Rick Dom reactors is all you need to power the Apsalus III's super beam cannon then they can clearly just tune a regular Dom reactor down to make the beam output tickle.

Those Dom reactors, most versatile things imaginable.

Presumably the tricky part is synching the reactors together so you can reach that level of destructive power without blowing yourself up in the process, which is probably why most other Mobile Armors go with multiple lower output cannons instead, though most aren't meant to crack open Jaburo like the Aspalus was, outside of that specific context that kind of firepower would normally be overkill, only other thing I could see it being useful for is blasting a hole through an asteroid base or a colony cylinder

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Presumably the tricky part is synching the reactors together so you can reach that level of destructive power without blowing yourself up in the process, which is probably why most other Mobile Armors go with multiple lower output cannons instead, though most aren't meant to crack open Jaburo like the Aspalus was, outside of that specific context that kind of firepower would normally be overkill, only other thing I could see it being useful for is blasting a hole through an asteroid base or a colony cylinder

Might also be worth it in space combat as an anti-battleship sniper rifle. Or in ground combat for one-hit-killing Big Trays and the like, I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone more knowledgeable than I give me the rundown on the fandom's general opinion of Harutoshi Fukui? I have my own thoughts about him but I don't know everything. I've seen it brought up that there are people who don't want him anywhere near the Universal Century with his writing and I'm wondering why. I'm aware of his rather questionable depiction of certain war crimes that are physically impossible in the setting (how could Zinnerman's "Zeon Village" be burned down by feddie soldiers if Side 3 was never occupied) and his overall dim view of the Federation as a stand-in for American cultural imperialism but the way some people talk he's committed crimes against canon and must be stopped.

He's hardly the first writer to make changes to the UC to fit the story being told but I rarely see other writers being called out the way Fukui has been. What's the deal with him? Is it overblown because of Unicorn's popularity or is there more to it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fukui has basically become the unofficial steward of UC works in recent times with Unicorn essentially becoming the fifth mainline UC entry, so he's in a prominent position to be criticized.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So it's more of a Kathleen Kennedy situation than anything in particular?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 23, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No not in the least. Fukui wrote Unicorn and the other sequels. He is directly responsible for the bizzare revisionist tone, the awful retreading of older ideas, and terrible zero note characters.

The man hasn't a single original idea in his head. He cuts and pastes smatterings from older properties, paints over it in pseudo Tominian colors, and sells it back to an audience who values nostalgic recognition over interesting plotting or moving characters.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also don't look up Marida's novel backstory

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

Also don't look up Marida's novel backstory

Somehow worse than the inferrences given in the OVA series? Kiki novelization bad?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

So it's more of a Kathleen Kennedy situation than anything in particular?

hes a piece of poo poo yes

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My understanding is that Fukui was basically given a list of events that had to happen in Unicorn and he was under moderately tight oversight to make sure all the necessary events and story points and action scenes were all there in his novels and he adhered to a specific sequence of story events... But also that it was also his prerogative to go about setting up the details as he liked which is how we got the Space Rape of Nanking with Zinnerman and all that Zeonic Lost Causer horseshit and Marida's novel backstory and the loving godawful stuff related to Loni's family from the novel as well.

It's not a surprise half of that last sentence got completely expunged in the animation, I just wish they'd gone all in.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Somehow worse than the inferrences given in the OVA series? Kiki novelization bad?

After the end of ZZ, she's set adrift, found, made to become a child prostitute, and has her womb removed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waffleman_ posted:

After the end of ZZ, she's set adrift, found, made to become a child prostitute, and has her womb removed.

You know somehow I'm not surprised. That's an ew from me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

You know somehow I'm not surprised. That's an ew from me.

I believe the novel also does some lingering on the, er, particular abuses inflicted.

I'm glad basically none of that made it into the OVAs and I really don't loving get why it was there in the novels to begin with.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Omnicrom posted:

I believe the novel also does some lingering on the, er, particular abuses inflicted.

I'm glad basically none of that made it into the OVAs and I really don't loving get why it was there in the novels to begin with.

because Maximum Tragedy, even if it comes off as trying way way too hard.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

The only part of that not explicit in the OVA is that Marida had her womb removed, and even then it's at least acknowledged for people who'd know it from the novels with the line "you've had that dead weight removed, right?" and implied on it's own as is because her hand goes to her belly afterwards. As to why it's in, along with Fukui leaning a lot on rape/tragedy as a backstory for his characters generally, it's probably there at least partly because it somewhat mirrors Lalah's backstory (the child prostitution part; not the womb removal) as Tomino established it in the mid-90s using the novel Secret Rendevous: The First Meeting of Amuro & Lalah. The novelizations in Gundam tend to use those kinds of things an absurd amount really. I say it's probably at least partly that because despite being friends with and even collaborating with Tomino in the past, Fukui is a huge Tomino fanboy and Unicorn as a story is basically a "UC: Greatest Hits" album cover in a lot of ways, with almost everything being either a reference or a homage of some kind.

tsob fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 23, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

actually thats all in the ova

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

it was such a cool, well animated sequence showing it too. would've been a really powerful scene if it wasn't for, uh, what it was actually depicting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
To elaborate on the novel version of the Loni stuff, it has Loni's father and brothers still alive, and Loni's dad is a devout muslim who believes that the Federation is actually a white-led conspiracy to destroy Islam.

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
For what it's worth, I wasn't all that hot on Fukui's Yamato 2202 either, especially compared to 2199 which AFAIK didn't have him.

I remember it being way too whitewashing of Dessler. I enjoy Dessler on my screen, but I don't need the show to bend over in attempts to woobify him.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Kanos posted:

To elaborate on the novel version of the Loni stuff, it has Loni's father and brothers still alive, and Loni's dad is a devout muslim who believes that the Federation is actually a white-led conspiracy to destroy Islam.

ah yes another ZZ rehash

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So from what I gather with your responses the criticisms toward Fukui stem from his outsized influence on "current" UC Gundam, a sense that his contributions are a rehash of previous Gundam series minus the heart, the unpleasant use of rape and abuse as a tragic backstory for female characters, and some very sketchy revisionist politics regarding the Earth Federation by using analogies to the Rape of Nanking or invoking the notion of Western Imperialism obliterating Islamic culture where they really shouldn't be applicable.

I was aware of the latter stuff wrt the Loni family stuff and rape of nanking especially after that video was posted last year about the various depictions of the Federation in Gundam, but when you put it in line with the other criticisms against Fukui it does start to paint a bigger picture of why people might dislike him. It's never just one thing, but a stack of things.

Having not read the Unicorn novels and only experiencing the OVA, I'm not sure I'd really want to read them given what has been said. It seems like filing off the the more "what the gently caress" side of Loni's family life and focusing on the pointless tragedy of broken people's grief being manipulated into a suicide run on behalf of a Space Nazi was an overall improvement.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 23, 2023

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My favorite part of Unicorn so far was Banagher spending time with the Garcenieres crew and realize they’re all humans who have their own reasons to hate the Federation, but then in the next battle Banagher’s horrified they’re casually slaughtering civilians, but then he tells Bright “they’re not bad guys!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well technically the Garancieres crew didn't participate in the battle they were just on standby to deploy the Unicorn when the Box coordinates were revealed. And the crew didn't really step in to help Zinnerman when he went off on his half assed rant trying to justify the remnants butchering civilians.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 23, 2023