Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That’s not gonna go over well at WFAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Manfred gets another term

faaaaaaaart

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

rickiep00h posted:

He's definitely a Hall of Very Good guy.

Also, man, 1961 was stacked as hell. Ol Norm came in FOURTH in MVP voting.

Early 60s were a crazy time for hitters. Probably they were corking and juicing and tarring, sort of thing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Manfred gets another term

faaaaaaaart

He got the A's their muni money, was this ever in doubt?

waffy
Oct 31, 2010
So apparently the Angels struck out more Yankees in this series than any other 3 game series against any team in the Angels 63 year history. 42 Ks in 3 games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

waffy posted:

So apparently the Angels struck out more Yankees in this series than any other 3 game series against any team in the Angels 63 year history. 42 Ks in 3 games.

yanKees

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

NL Central showing its dominance as the clear-cut best division in baseball today

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is the worst the Yankees have been in the 21st century.

It owns hard.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the NL Central was the best division all along and there are not any easy teams to beat up on creating a clear division winner 2 months into the season??

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
"I come from California, we grew up bunting." - Miles Mastrobuoni

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

zoux posted:

That’s not gonna go over well at WFAN

It was fun listening to the discussion about getting Ohtani at the trade deadline.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Nico salami ruled but man I feel bad for Abbot. Despite being a prime example of one of Theo's infamous "pitchability" draft picks attempting to find the next Kyle Hendricks, he was pitching really well in the minors and rocketing up the levels until 2020, when he had to sit out the shortened season and he's just never looked remotely good since.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

TV Zombie posted:

It was fun listening to the discussion about getting Ohtani at the trade deadline.

It was always just chasing engagement ratings, the Yankees could absolutely not beat other teams offers.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Twins take game three of what turns out to be a four game Mariners series! I am chuffed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

This is the worst the Yankees have been in the 21st century.

It owns hard.

If nothing else this is definitely a testament to just how good of a hitter Judge is. It's often bandied around that a single good hitter cannot put an entire team on their back but it is increasingly looking like that's exactly what Judge was doing because without him they are completely rudderless.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

My "I give a poo poo about the team" t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Which one of you is Becky?

https://twitter.com/TheSuzieHunter/status/1681739303528050691

https://twitter.com/JBreezyBurner/status/1681760266415947776

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I always cheat at Immaculate Grid cause it's more fun for me as a learning exercise than a competitive thing. Today I learned that Jeff Kent won NL MVP in 2000 despite being on the same team as Sir Barrold who handily beat him in every important offensive category. I guess 2B is a more important defensive position, BUT Wikipedia says he won because of his clutch hitting lol.

Also Barry didn't quite have a .300 career average which I assume is why he's not in the Hall of Fame.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

camoseven posted:

Also Barry didn't quite have a .300 career average which I assume is why he's not in the Hall of Fame.

This is something I also learned today.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

:3:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1681820314840313858

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

this is adorable and he looks JUST like his dad.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

rickiep00h posted:

He's definitely a Hall of Very Good guy.

Also, man, 1961 was stacked as hell. Ol Norm came in FOURTH in MVP voting.
Dick Allen though is a HOF guy not in the Hall

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Good news, the dumbest man no longer in Baseball has trade proposals! These are in Bowden's order of preference and are, often, not actual proposals but rather a listing of players, filler text, and prospects.

quote:

1. Los Angeles Dodgers
Trade partner: Chicago White Sox
Targets: RHP Lucas Giolito, RHP Kendall Graveman, SS Tim Anderson

The Dodgers have the second-best record in the National League, but they understand they’ll probably be in a pennant race until the bitter end with the Diamondbacks and Giants, and maybe even the Padres if they get hot. The Dodgers have a pressing need to improve their pitching staff, both the rotation and the bullpen. Their starters rank ninth in the NL in collective ERA and their bullpen ranks 10th. The Dodgers also could use an upgrade at shortstop. They are an obvious trade match with the White Sox, who have players to fit all three needs.

Giolito will be a free agent after this season, and the White Sox are going to move him by the deadline. He struggled in his last outing against the Mets, allowing eight runs in 3 2/3 innings, but has posted a 3.96 ERA in 20 starts and been worth 2.3 WAR, according to Baseball Reference. He grew up in Southern California, so might also be willing to sign a long-term contract with Los Angeles in the offseason. Graveman, who is signed through 2024, would give the Dodgers another back-end type reliever. He’s logged a 3.07 ERA in 42 appearances with eight saves in as many opportunities. The final piece that would make sense for Los Angeles is Tim Anderson, who’s having a down year, batting .231/.268/.271 with only 11 extra-base hits in 313 plate appearances. However, a change of scenery might be what he needs. Last year he hit .301 in 79 games and was a perfect 13-for-13 in stolen-base attempts. Anderson has a $14 million team option for 2024.

In return, the Dodgers could offer one of their top two catching prospects, Diego Cartaya or Dalton Rushing, as the headliner, along with one of their second-base prospects, Jorbit Vivas or Rayne Doncon, and a starting pitching prospect such as Gavin Stone or Michael Grove. Other prospect combinations could work. The Dodgers’ system is so deep there are many variations to make a deal like this work for both sides.
I need to give Jimmy credit. With the depth of analysis here, he could have just listed 7 teams with starters and middle infielders and handwaved at Dodger prospects before calling it a day. He put in more effort and instead created a worse column.

quote:

2. New York Yankees
Trade partner: St. Louis Cardinals
Targets: RHP Jack Flaherty, OF Dylan Carlson

The Yankees’ goal for the trade deadline is to land a starting pitcher and a two-way left fielder, and one swoop transaction with the Cardinals could address both needs. Flaherty has endured many injuries early in his career but has been able to post all season, making 18 starts and going 7-5 with a 4.29 ERA. Over his past three starts, he has allowed only three earned runs in 18 2/3 innings. Flaherty is an impending free agent and appears to have the type of makeup to handle the pressures of pitching in New York for the Yankees. Meanwhile, Carlson has underachieved and it appears the Cardinals are ready to give up on the athletic outfielder, who at 24 still hasn’t entered his prime years and is under team control through 2026. He has reached base at a .344 clip this season and profiles, at the very least, as an average major-league player on both sides of the ball (but also one with future upside), which would be an upgrade for the Yankees.

In return, the Cardinals are looking for pitching prospects, and it would take some combination of three minor leaguers from the group of Will Warren (a 24-year-old righty in Triple A), Richard Fitts (23, RHP, Double A), Randy Vásquez (24, RHP, Triple A), Yoendrys Gómez (23, RHP, Double A), Matt Sauer (24, RHP, Double A), Sean Hermann (20, RHP, Low A) and Chase Hampton (21, RHP, Double A), along with teenage shortstop prospect Roderick Arias, who is currently in rookie ball.
Obviously, the Yankees should leap all over this if they can upgrade without needing to deal away superstar trade centerpiece and/or future DFA target Gleybar.

quote:

3. Houston Astros
Trade partner: Chicago Cubs
Targets: 1B/OF Cody Bellinger, RHP Marcus Stroman

Astros GM Dana Brown has made it clear to other front offices that his team’s biggest needs are a proven starting pitcher and a left-handed-hitting first baseman/outfielder. The Cubs could have both available if they decide to sell at the deadline. Stroman is having a banner year, posting a 2.88 ERA over 20 starts, and he is expected to opt out of his contract after this season and hit free agency at age-32. Bellinger is a Comeback Player of the Year candidate who has slashed .311/.367/.527 with 12 homers and 12 steals. He plays above-average defense at first base and in all three outfield positions. He has a 2024 mutual option he will decline.

This type of huge rental blockbuster would cost the Astros dearly, in terms of extracting value from their farm system, but a trade like this would also position them to be able to catch the Rangers in the AL West and, more importantly, give them a legitimate shot at back-to-back-to-back World Series appearances. It would be reasonable for the Cubs to ask for righty starter Brandon Bielak off their major-league club and one of their top prospects, such as 22-year-old outfielder Drew Gilbert, Houston’s first-round pick last year, who would become the headliner for Chicago. Throw in a couple of lower-level prospects and perhaps a deal in this range would work.
Bellinger and Houston are honestly a perfect fit. A player who struggles with spin and a franchise that's pioneered more efficient methods of breaking ball detection.

quote:

4. San Diego Padres
Trade partner: Kansas City Royals
Targets: C Salvador Perez, RHP Scott Barlow

The Royals don’t want to trade Perez because he is the face of the franchise and the team leader, but also because of his importance in developing their young pitchers. On the flip side, he’s a 33-year-old catcher, and the eight-time All-Star deserves an opportunity to play on a contender for the final two and a half years of his guaranteed contract. Perez has full no-trade protection but might be willing to waive it to go to a team like the Padres. San Diego also needs another back-end reliever, and Barlow is among the best available on the trade market. In return, the Royals could demand the Padres’ top pitching prospect, 2022 first-round pick Dylan Lesko, as their headliner, along with catcher Luis Campusano and minor-league righties Henry Williams and Ryan Bergert. Then, if the Padres could land Adam Duvall from the Red Sox in a separate trade to platoon with Trent Grisham in center field, they’d be poised to make a serious run at the playoffs.
Bowden picked the Pads for the pennant and god drat it they will not sell under his watch. Banking on a Perez/Sanchez catcher tandem in TYOOL 2023, bless him.

quote:

5. Baltimore Orioles
Trade partner: St. Louis Cardinals
Target: LHP Jordan Montgomery

The Orioles are committed to trading for a starting pitcher at the deadline, but they’re also committed to not trading any of their top prospects, including Jackson Holliday, Colton Cowser, Jordan Westburg, Heston Kjerstad, Joey Ortiz, Coby Mayo, Samuel Basallo or even DL Hall. However, their farm system is so deep, a deal could still get done for a pitcher such as Montgomery, perhaps with a package of something like lefty Cade Povich and third baseman Max Wagner. Povich, 23, has an eye-popping 115 strikeouts in 76 1/3 innings this season in Double A, with a 4.83 ERA in 17 starts. Wagner, 21, has hit .240/.374/.409 with 10 doubles, nine homers and 23 stolen bases in 69 games in High A.
Feels like Montgomery could fetch a better haul and I know it's sunk cost fallacy but after the extravagant price they paid to get him last year it'd be tough for the cards to accept moving him out.

quote:

6. Miami Marlins
Trade partner: Washington Nationals
Target: 1B/3B Jeimer Candelario

The Marlins desperately need another bat, and the Nationals are a solid potential trade fit as Candelario would give them another option at first base, third base and designated hitter. He would lengthen Miami’s lineup. Candelario has slashed .259/.334/.485 with 27 doubles, 15 home runs and 46 RBIs. The eight-year veteran will be a free agent after this season. The Marlins might be able to land him by offering their second-round pick from last year’s MLB Draft, 19-year-old right-hander Jacob Miller (who’s currently on the injured list), and 19-year-old catcher Ronald Hernandez. Miller has a 4.65 ERA in nine starts this season with Low-A Jupiter. Hernandez, a switch-hitting catcher, has slashed .280/.469/.463 in his second season in the Florida Complex League.
I appreciate Bowden pretending that we won't be watching the Marlins winning percentage race against Arraez's batting average to end the season

quote:

7. Cincinnati Reds
Trade partner: Chicago White Sox
Target: RHP Lance Lynn

To win the NL Central and prevail in what looks like it will be an epic pennant race with the Brewers, the Reds must trade for a veteran starting pitcher who can provide innings at the back of their rotation. Lynn has a 6.06 ERA in 19 starts. However, he also has 133 strikeouts in 108 1/3 innings and a 4.97 FIP. Although the 36-year-old righty has been inconsistent, he’s allowed three runs or fewer in three of his past five starts and has averaged more than six innings per start over that span. He is an intense competitor but the asking price can’t be more than a couple of mid-level prospects considering the Reds would be taking on close to $4 million of his remaining salary. Lynn has an $18 million team option for 2024 ($1 million buyout) that is not expected to be picked up regardless of where he’s traded, whether it’s to the Reds, Rangers, Orioles or anyone else that’s in play.
Kudos to the editors who forced Bowden to use one (1) advanced stat in this column, likely in exchange for letting him pitch the down-the-stretch necessity of a veteran with an ERA over 6 and a decade since his last postseason victory

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s no way the Marlins give up an actual prospect for Candelario

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The trade deadline is less than two weeks away, have there been any actual rumors that aren’t just columnists trying to fill space?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Giolito is a good fit for the Dodgers but lmao at them targeting Tim Anderson now, we have a Time Anderson at home (Miguel Rojas)

And extra lmao at giving up Cartaya or Rushing for those guys

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd hardly call an injured Bader "an extravagant price" for Montgomery

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Paracaidas posted:

Kudos to the editors who forced Bowden to use one (1) advanced stat in this column, likely in exchange for letting him pitch the down-the-stretch necessity of a veteran with an ERA over 6 and a decade since his last postseason victory

Hell FIP is barely an advanced stat at this point, all the nerds are using xERA.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Why would the Astros go after Cody Bellinger? Yordan/Chas/Tucker is not an outfield that needs upgrading, and Jose Abreu has been making hard contact for nearly 2 months straight now.

If the Astros are gonna dump the farm, it better be for 2 starters and maybe an extra bullpen arm since Bryan Abreu and Pressly are getting run ragged.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

Why would the Astros go after Cody Bellinger? Yordan/Chas/Tucker is not an outfield that needs upgrading, and Jose Abreu has been making hard contact for nearly 2 months straight now.

If the Astros are gonna dump the farm, it better be for 2 starters and maybe an extra bullpen arm since Bryan Abreu and Pressly are getting run ragged.

Not to mention the Astros don't have much of a farm to dump. There's Gilbert, Melton, ... Arrighetti, and .........

Forrest Whitley :cawg:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hell FIP is barely an advanced stat at this point, all the nerds are using xERA.

I am a fossil from 2011 so I will never change.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blind Pineapple posted:

I guess he'd fit in at 1B? I have been told under good authority that Abreu is BACK though, so I'm not sure how that makes sense either.

No Safe Word posted:

Forrest Whitley :cawg:

You joke but this is absolutely the kind of move our FO would make and then brag about how the ~Pitch Lab~ will fix him, when they absolutely will not.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

Feels like Montgomery could fetch a better haul and I know it's sunk cost fallacy but after the extravagant price they paid to get him last year it'd be tough for the cards to accept moving him out.

The Cardinals have indicated they want pitching in trade returns, which the O’s are pretty thin in. So I don’t think there’s a future there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't know what the short or even medium term fix for the Yankees is when you account for the DJLM, Stanton and Rizzo contracts. That is a lot of dead money they are going to have to spend their way out of... They also don't really have many expiring contracts of any value to trade other than Torres and maybe Holmes and Peralta. They should 100% be sellers at the deadline though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Blind Pineapple posted:

2 months of Cody Bellinger should not requires "dumping the farm"

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

I don't know what the short or even medium term fix for the Yankees is when you account for the DJLM, Stanton and Rizzo contracts. That is a lot of dead money they are going to have to spend their way out of... They also don't really have many expiring contracts of any value to trade other than Torres and maybe Holmes and Peralta. They should 100% be sellers at the deadline though.

I hear the latest NY Yankees buzz word isn't selling but "re-tooling".

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

2 months of Cody Bellinger should not requires "dumping the farm"

I believe the Bowden proposal was for the Astros to swing for both Stroman and Bellinger in the same trade, at which point yeah I'm sure the Cubs would ask for the Astros only Top 100 guy in return in Drew Gilbert. The Houston farm is in a pretty dismal state right now because they've been winning for years and have graduated most of their top guys to the majors. Granted even Gilbert would be a weird fit because he's basically PCA but older and worse with less physical projectability.

I imagine Bellinger himself is only going to get a modest return, not just because he's a rental bat but because again he's just not hitting the ball hard at all and while his "don't strike out, walk and hit bloops and looping liners" strategy is working for now, I have to imagine it's worrying to teams scouting him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrMidnight posted:

I hear the latest NY Yankees buzz word isn't selling but "re-tooling".

This is a distinction that is basically meaningless.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Good for Belli performing this year enough to land a spot with a contending team. It was looking pretty dire for him after last season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I don't understand why people are panicking about the Yanks. They're still tied for first place in the central!